• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • folkishienne
    Electric Banana
    • Apr 2005

Acetate Cogitate 5 + MP3

Davey Sands and The Essex - Live for the Sun....

This is not my normal bag but there's something about the attack the of delivery and the quality of harmonies that kind of gets me going. I like the idea of a bunch of Essex boys deluding themselves into thinking Margate is somehow twined with Waikiki...But perhaps this is stretching things a little, the chances are this lot were just trying anything to get a hit like so many other acts past and present.
    Musically the sound is undeniably British no matter how much they appropriate from the Beach Boys. The tempo and delivery have a surf / beat feel that kind of works but I'm not sure if this cut received a release? (They did do at least one 45 on Decca) There's also a link with this lot and Brian Poole in terms of production. Anyone know this track? I have to admit I've not done much to find out about this acetate but in the past I've enjoyed peoples views on the few that have found their way onto this site. Thoughts, Info, opinions welcome...

LISTEN HERE

(I'll try and upload the flip to this in the next day or so if anyone's interested)

[Edit] OK here it is...

Davey Sands and The Essex - Baby's Gone

For me the flip doesn't have the same bite to it. Nevertheless I do like the intro and the keys on this cut. I can't quite place them but they do sound familiar. In parts some of the harmonies work OK.

Listen Here
    Last edited by folkishienne; 15-03-2009, 11:34 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/AudioGrailGarrard301
  • ginghamkitchen
    Cliff Pilchard
    • Aug 2005

Don't know anything about this band, but the song is a cover / carbon copy of a minor US hit by The Sunrays, whose main claim to fame was being the band Murry Wilson managed after being fired by The Beach Boys. Murry also produced the record. The original came out in late 1965.
    Last edited by ginghamkitchen; 14-03-2009, 11:23 PM.
    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• modernism
      Animated Egg
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by folkishienne View Post
      Davey Sands and The Essex - Live for the Sun....

This is not my normal bag but there's something about the attack of some of the delivery and the harmonies that kind of gets me going. I like the idea of a bunch of Essex boys deluding themselves into thinking Margate is somehow twined with Waikiki...But perhaps this is stretching things a little, the chances are this lot were just trying anything to get a hit like so many other acts past and present.
      Musically the sound is undeniably British no matter how much they appropriate from the Beach Boys. The tempo and delivery have a surf / beat feel that kind of works but and I'm not sure if this cut received a release? (They did do at least one 45 on Decca) There's also a link with this lot and Brian Poole. Anyone know this track? I have to admit I've not done much to find out about this acetate but in the past I've enjoyed peoples views on the few that have found their way onto this site. Thoughts, Info, opinions welcome...

LISTEN HERE

(I'll try and upload the flip to this in the next day or so if anyone's interested)
      I don't know that I can shed much light on the acetate, or even the artist for you, but it's bloody excellent! I'm sure this would be right up Mr M'Geek's street too - I'd love to hear the flip...!

Comment

• highland cow
        Lonely Jelly
        • Oct 2005

I think Vanity Fare also covered this but your acetate is much much better!

I've got this 45 by them which is also really good. Will try and find it and add scans next week.

You can hear it here if you scroll down a bit (New Rubble volume 4)

Do you have a scanner? Would be great if you could add this to 45cat.com

www.45cat.com
        http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

• lampros77
          Electric Prunes
          • Feb 2008

Very cool one mate, thanks for sharing

And I'd be very very interested to hear the flip as well.

Cheers.

Originally posted by folkishienne View Post
          I'll try and upload the flip to this in the next day or so if anyone's interested

Comment

• folkishienne
            Electric Banana
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by lampros77 View Post
            And I'd be very very interested to hear the flip as well.

Cheers.
            I've added a pic and sound clip into the initial post. Many thanks for the info and opinions so far, I didn't know either track as a cover or otherwise. Keep it coming
            https://www.facebook.com/AudioGrailGarrard301

Comment

• modernism
              Animated Egg
              • Oct 2007

See what you mean on the flip, but it still has a certain something about it! Cheers for posting those up - if I chance across any info on them, I'll post it up...

Comment

Working...
              X