Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to.....?

Default Whatever happened to.....?

Prompted by the recent thread on 'VV Classics That You Would Pay Proper Money For' and also cos I recently turned up a copy of Soft Rock 'Invention', my first in aaaaaaaaaaaages. I had several copies once upon a time but let them go cos I thought it was pretty easy to turn up. And it's taken years to find this one! Lesson learned eh?

Was wondering, what VV Classics did you used to see in relative abundance, but nowadays they've just seemingly vanished?! It's kind of like plotting what still turns up where (like there's any rationale for that!), but e.g. I remember about 5yrs back finding several copies of 'Hanged Man' in a few months and then not one since.

I'm not necessarily on about the jewels in the crown (i.e. Moody or Suite London), more those you got accustomed to turning up via recognition through this site etc., and now you can't get a sniff.

Do you yearn to see 'Voodoo Party' turn up just once more on your manor? Has 'Bang On A Drum' disappeared into Brian Cant's potting shed? Would finding 'Movements' again trigger a wave of nostalgia?

Am just curious.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

I went through a stage where I kept turning up copies of Johnny Keating Space Experience, but I havent seen one for 5 or 6 years now.. It was one of the first records I found in a charity that I thought was a keeper.....

Good question Ben.

I've not found a 'Two Generations' in a couple of years and it seemed like I used to turn one up every month or so for a while.
    I also used to find a 'Trouble Spot' LP on just about every major digging trip - not seen one for ages.
    Most of the decent Studio 2 Stereo titles seemed to have dried up (although admittedly they were never that common) and not even seen a 'Stereo Sounds to Spoil You' for a while and it got to the point I was leaving that behind.

Still see plently 'Hammond Golds' out there but I'm over that now
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

I used to see The Jumping Jacques "Sugar And Spice" around all the time - there was one languishing in Reckless at 4.99 that they couldn't shift.
    "Trouble Spot" and "Space Experience" still seem to turn up in Lahndahan a fair bit. Found the latter in a chazzer a few months ago for pence.

'Tijuana - Sound of Brass' was a staple of my early charity shop days - in 1995 every charity shop was required by law to have at least three copies. Now I get a nice nostalgic glow when one turns up.

Dunno where people have been seeing all these copies of 'Two Generations', though - I never saw one for years, found two copies in the space of seven days about a year ago, then nada ever since!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thames View Post

Dunno where people have been seeing all these copies of 'Two Generations', though - I never saw one for years, found two copies in the space of seven days about a year ago, then nada ever since!
    yeah, never found one of these myself either

down south where they use the slide machine...

Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    I used to see The Jumping Jacques "Sugar And Spice" around all the time.
    Picked one of these up at the weekend - I believe it's the only time I've ever seen it!
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Ive not seen much of "this is james last" recently or the "easy Listening" comp but i supose thats because it now contains SUPERILLRARERBREAKS!! since that lupe fasco (or whatever his name is) sampled it (not to mention the people before him). As for Studio 2 Stereo one of the reasons i started collecting them is because i used to see them a lot. Now i get the occasional brass band or classical one but rarely see a decent one, i wouldnt even mind a Frank Porcell or Manuell..
    Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
    www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
    www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Muench View Post
    Ive not seen much of "this is james last" recently or the "easy Listening" comp but i supose thats because it now contains SUPERILLRARERBREAKS!! since that lupe fasco (or whatever his name is) sampled it (not to mention the people before him). As for Studio 2 Stereo one of the reasons i started collecting them is because i used to see them a lot. Now i get the occasional brass band or classical one but rarely see a decent one, i wouldnt even mind a Frank Porcell or Manuell..
    I've seen a few of the 'Easy Listening' comp recently - I don't bother picking them up, should I?

Quote Originally Posted by john stapleton View Post
    I've seen a few of the 'Easy Listening' comp recently - I don't bother picking them up, should I?
    Only got one decent track which is "Daydream" the rest is pants. pence only. The A-Z of Easy listening is slightly better and has a couple of ok-ish tracks on it. I like the Philips ones, think there called nice and easy or somthing like that, but they have a few Chaquito and Ray Davies tracks on. I still see plenty of them.

Only got one decent track which is "Daydream" the rest is pants. pence only.
    That's what I thought - I was just curious whether the LP was back 'in demand' once more if it's recently been sampled again. I remember there was a time when people (without access to UK charity shops) were paying multiple pounds for the album, but I assumed that time had long passed

since that lupe fasco (or whatever his name is) sampled it (not to mention the people before him).
    I'm sure he actually sampled the imonster track that sampled it, then got them in to produce it.

Those two Christian MFP albums with the breaks - "Power & the Glory" and "New Freedom Singers" used to be everywhere. I saw a MINTY New Freedom Singers yesterday and, indeed, it got me thinking I hadn't seen one for a while. I managed to resist the urge, and the quid stayed in my pocket...

...did find two copies of the Cleo Laine "Portrait" LP in the one shop, mind. Never found Night Owl in the wild before. Mind you, I had it already - so not really a major buzz. Not that owl's buzz.

I think the long and short of this thread is - there aren't the abundance of ANY records in charity shops. I blame the volunteers who price stuff up, and no doubt bin the Hammond Golds. So many shops don't have 7"s at all - makes me very suspicious...

Only got one decent track which is "Daydream" the rest is pants. pence only. The A-Z of Easy listening is slightly better and has a couple of ok-ish tracks on it. I like the Philips ones, think there called nice and easy or somthing like that, but they have a few Chaquito and Ray Davies tracks on. I still see plenty of them.

I have it and yes Daydream is ACE but I think it also has Z. Helmuts version of 'Light My Fire' which is excellent too...I might be wrong...but I'm sure it's on that comp.

This turns up every where in Hull for £1...usually a bit battered though.
    I have a very particular set of skills...

http://www.paybacksoulfunkjazz.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Divine One View Post

Not that owl's buzz.
    are you on the buckfast again?

Only got one decent track which is "Daydream" the rest is pants. pence only........
    WHHHHHHHOOOOOAHHHHHHHHH.

Peter Thomas Sound Orchestra - Gente is a cool EZ track and Augusto Alguero's 'I Say A Little Prayer' is a brilliant funky orchestral lounge work-out.

In fact the Augusto track is one of my favourites by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Townsend View Post
    WHHHHHHHOOOOOAHHHHHHHHH.

Peter Thomas Sound Orchestra - Gente is a cool EZ track and Augusto Alguero's 'I Say A Little Prayer' is a brilliant funky orchestral lounge work-out.

In fact the Augusto track is one of my favourites by him.
    Maybe i need to give it another spin, been a while since iheard it so cant remember exactly what was on it...

Maybe i need to give it another spin, been a while since iheard it so cant remember exactly what was on it...
    You'd definitely be feeling those tracks I reckon, Ric.

Does anyone know what LP 'Gente' was originally from? I've probably asked this before and forgotten, but I'd like to track it down - not that I'm likely to, as I've only ever seen one Peter Thomas LP in seventeen years of charity shopping!

I can't believe that Gentle Rain, Hanged Man and Peddlers apparently are relatively easy to come by in the Uk, over here there are pretty rare.

But I think I've noticed that red Headless Heroes cover several times before I was hip to it...........

Quote Originally Posted by wooly View Post
    You'd definitely be feeling those tracks I reckon, Ric.
    You were right there fella, just blown the dust off my old copy and gave it a quick spin. I also quite enjoyed Bert Kampferts version of "Something" but i couldnt see any Helmut Zaci...a..watsits tunes on there.

Whatever happened to... Manchester United?

re: easy listening on polydor.

(caution :soapbox coming out, look away now....)
    Don't know why people rave about the daydream track. Apart from that intro its crap choral dross. I suspect that like many other forgettable tracks, its only the fact that 'it's been sampled' which gives it a kudos it does not deserve, yet no-one comes out and says so openly.
    I have an entire lp somewhere of kallman stuff I got as part of a job lot of easy lps, and it is utterly mediocre.

But you wait. someone will sample some Jim reeves soon, then we'll have people biggin it up as 'Sick/ Ill/ Dope' or whatever other nonsensical clichés form part of the vocabulary of such circles of lemmings (rant off!)

Seconded on the Alguero and 'Gente' stuff. I love most Peter Thomas stuff. now THERE'S an arranger; stars and rockets anyone?!! Just beware of the LP 'piano strings' (polydor stereo musicale) - save your pence kids.

Quote Originally Posted by eclectiktronik View Post

Don't know why people rave about the daydream track. Apart from that intro its crap choral dross. I suspect that like many other forgettable tracks, its only the fact that 'it's been sampled' which gives it a kudos it does not deserve, yet no-one comes out and says so openly.
    I have an entire lp somewhere of kallman stuff I got as part of a job lot of easy lps, and it is utterly mediocre.
    Not everyone hates stuff just 'cos its choral. You probably hate the King's Singers too.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

What ever happened to twin sets?
    What ever happened to Hi-fi?
    What ever happened to TV sex?
    What ever happened to you and I?

Your passion is a product
    of highlight and detail.
    That come hither look--
    Bonus offer retail.

Whatever happened to pick-up trucks?
    Whatever happened to yellow pages?
    Whatever happened to burning books?
    Whatever happened to new ages?

Your emotions are cheap--
    Cut, price, cash and carry.
    You wear your heart on your sleeve
    For any Tom, Dick, or Harry.

Your love is a cashed-in cheque.
    Oh oh, that's the way of all flesh!

Whatever happened to Chairman Mao?
    Whatever happened to God above?
    Whatever happened to the cow?
    Whatever happened to plug-in love?

Your pasteurised life--
    So fit for consumption.
    Ooh, those undressing eyes--
    So strictly commercial.

Your love is a cashed-in cheque
    Oh oh, that's the way of all flesh!
    All flesh!
    All flesh!
    "I`m not saying that i think guitars are better than women, but i don`t know too many guys who fell out of love with their guitar" - Les Paul

I'm currently really enjoying the Gunter Kallmann 'Put A Little Love In Your Heart' LP - great version of 'In The Year 2525' in particular. Shame they couldn't tone down the German accents a bit, but Nick Ingman's arrangements are rather super. Ian T - if you haven't got this already, you'll flippin' love it!

Seconded on the Alguero and 'Gente' stuff. I love most Peter Thomas stuff. now THERE'S an arranger; stars and rockets anyone?!! Just beware of the LP 'piano strings' (polydor stereo musicale) - save your pence kids.
    There's a bonkers album by the Peter Thomas Sound Orchestra called "Dancing Ninotschka" on Polydor from '66/'67 which has souped up renditions of Russian folk songs including a mental Now Sound version of "Kalinka". Always used to cause jaws to drop when I played it at the ol' club.

I still see the easy listening comp all the time. Made my mate who's into 'breaks' buy a copy for fifty pence at a boot a few weeks ago, and then felt like a tit as we found a better copy for ten pence minutes later
    "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Ok, the chorus may not be to everyones taste...but I think the track is genuinely good regardless of who sampled what...the flutes in the second verse are really cool...I listen to it quite often. It's not dross in my opinion just a very cool and odd track...probably by chance!

I have 2 of his LP's and nothing on them is as good mind...nice sleeves though.
    I have a very particular set of skills...

http://www.paybacksoulfunkjazz.com

i really like that track aswell.
    i picked up the easy listen comp just after joining here. and still listen to that track quite a lot. though i had to edit the choruses down a bit .