Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what music does your girlfriend/wife struggle with?

Default what music does your girlfriend/wife struggle with?

luckily i get to listen to my music in her car. so Ive done her loads of tapes. but she struggles with hip hop especially electro.also if i put too many instrumentals on she has difficulty too.

Quote Originally Posted by medlar View Post
    Noisy Black Metal
    i think i would stuggle with that too!!!!

Jazz. Anything jazzy. LCD Soundsystem's new album ("Oh, for fuck's sake not that again"). Anything noodly. Anything vaguely 'difficult'. Jazz.

I played the Hot 8 Brass Band album yesterday. She said, "Will you turn that off, it's like trying to work in the middle of the Notting Hill carnival."

Jazz. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post
    Jazz. Anything jazzy. LCD Soundsystem's new album ("Oh, for fuck's sake not that again"). Anything noodly. Anything vaguely 'difficult'. Jazz.

I played the Hot 8 Brass Band album yesterday. She said, "Will you turn that off, it's like trying to work in the middle of the Notting Hill carnival."

Jazz. Etc.
    i suppose she's got a point as i struggle with real noodly jazz. as for LCD soundsystem's i wouldn't know one of their songs if it jumped up and bit me.

My wife is not a huge music fan in that she doesn't buy stuff of her own accord, her logic being that the house is full enough already! In general, she digs folk, soul, reggae, pop-sike and any of Beaver's mixes!

Stuff I only get to listen to when she's out . . .

Abstract jazz, particularly stuff like Pharoah Sanders Izipho Zam.

Screaming punk - The Damned, The Angry Samoans, The Users, etc.

Screaming proto-punk with an abstract edge - TV Eye, Funhouse, Debris, etc.

Hard-edged psych - The Strange, Sir Lord Baltimore, The Open Mind

Kraut stuff - Kluster, Can, Neu, etc.

Otherwise, all is pretty sweet music-wise!
    To infinity - and beyond!

Jack Sprat could hear no opera and cat on a piano Chopin stuff
    His sort-of partner could hear no lengthy timbale solos
    Ohne Expedit geht das Abendland unter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    i think i would stuggle with that too!!!!
    Every now and then, for a change

Couldn't listen to it all the time. Then again I couldn't listen to most things all the time
    Banging 4x4 techno for hours on end
    Wibbly Wobbly Free Jazz all dayer

I like most stuff, but not all the time

None judging by how much she loved the recent Malcolm Mooney/Damo Can B Music gig earlier this year.

Although she struggled a bit with Voice of the Seven Woods at Llama.

the thing with the hip hop and electro is i like to listen to it as loud as possible which is quite difficult as i live in a high rise. so this is where i would benefit from having it on a tape in the car!

she doesn't hate hip hop or anything she even likes the odd tune (especially when she's in a club) she just seems to struggle when i put it on a tape for the car. unfortunately she just quite flatley hates electro.

as for LCD soundsystem's i wouldn't know one of their songs if it jumped up and bit me.
    Not even Yeah?
    Great stuff, begins all Talking Heads typical NYC stuff and grows into a monster that will surely have the misses shouting for it to be turned down

Me mermaid doan loikes ter 'ears industrial music.
    'er becums quite aggertatit.

'er cannae scream oar tawk , bur ah finks by 'er facial expresshun 'ers meanit ter say: "They are coming to CAN me!"
    Last edited by wallace; 06-09-2007 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by medlar View Post
    Not even Yeah?
    Great stuff, begins all Talking Heads typical NYC stuff and grows into a monster that will surely have the misses shouting for it to be turned down
    they played at the club i work for perhaps i should have made they effort to go and check them out.

my girlfreind cant stand ska or reggae.
    she just pulls a face every time i put it on, though thats not very often nowadays.

as for me i cant stand jazz, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by eric-adams View Post
    my girlfreind cant stand ska or reggae.
    she just pulls a face every time i put it on, though thats not very often nowadays.

as for me i cant stand jazz, at all.
    well to quote homer simpson on jazz apparently they just make it up as they go along.

When my girlfriend tells me to turn my music off i always respond in a sarcastic manor

'You'll like it in six months time when it turns up on a tv advert'

- i've noticed that this is where our differances are; i can decide if i like a song or not on first listen, i judge it as i hear it from the speakers,

my bird only likes stuff after she's heard it a few times, she shouted at me to turn of "patti jo- let me beleive in you" about 9 times but when i played it in a bar she runs up saying she loves it -it took her ten listens to realise this

you'd be suprised how many people buy a chart cd and only listen to the singles- they don't give the rest of it a chance

Quote Originally Posted by pendle brew View Post
    When my girlfriend tells me to turn my music off i always respond in a sarcastic manor

'You'll like it in six months time when it turns up on a tv advert'

- i've noticed that this is where our differances are; i can decide if i like a song or not on first listen, i judge it as i hear it from the speakers,

my bird only likes stuff after she's heard it a few times, she shouted at me to turn of "patti jo- let me beleive in you" about 9 times but when i played it in a bar she runs up saying she loves it -it took her ten listens to realise this

you'd be suprised how many people buy a chart cd and only listen to the singles- they don't give the rest of it a chance
    it takes my girlfriend several listens as she likes to sing along to it when she's driving alone. hence not really liking instrumental stuff too much.

she can't stand the expected v.v. library stuff - calls it 'game-show music' which shows she has some understanding of the genre

she can't stand the twee side of pop-sike

she can't stand the heavier side of psychedelia

she loves 4/4 soul/R&B

she loves most stuff you can drop in the box labelled skinhead reggae
    SMOKE on SPOKE is OUT NOW!!!! >>> SEE HERE <<< 1970 East Anglian Heavy Rock with Psychedelic Flourishes and stuff.

Most anything on Impulse / Saturn / Ogun / Strata East and so on................
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Talking

Same here - the free jazz stuff I sometimes subject her to is often referered to as about as tuneful as "fingernails on a chalkboard". And hip hop too - the earlier it is, the more she dislikes it...

Also, I play her disco and Chicago house classics from '87-'89 and she dislikes that too - which I don't understand as she loves her dance music stuff... ... too early I guess...

Bah!
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

There's nothing really - she's got good taste, in music if not life-partner. She doesn't like people acting as if women don't like music, even the 'good' stuff. She really doesn't like snobbishness about music or obscurity for obscurity's sake. She HATES people talking about music and forgetting that its a mass medium and acting like they own it or are the sole discoverer of it. Then, we agree on that.

About the only thing there's much disagreement on is heavily orchestrated Italian pop but I can accept that.

To be honest, it is a rare occasion when my wife actually likes something I'm listening to (although she loved Ian Townsend's 2005 xmas mix swap CD). In fact, we really are a case of opposites attract

My girlfriend has good taste in music (suppose it helps, being a promoter and all). In fact it's a pretty good relationship as she introduces me to lots of newer music and i her with the older stuff. Only time she really wants me to turn stuff off is when she's concentrating. Like last week when she was trying to do her accounts and i was listening to Dr Roots Garden by Chrysalis. She then got her revenge by listening to Boris and Sunn0)))

Quote Originally Posted by Col Wolfe View Post
    she can't stand the expected v.v. library stuff - calls it 'game-show music' which shows she has some understanding of the genre

she can't stand the twee side of pop-sike

she can't stand the heavier side of psychedelia

she loves 4/4 soul/R&B

she loves most stuff you can drop in the box labelled skinhead reggae

oh yeah, Hayden is banned from talking about music in her presence!
    SMOKE on SPOKE is OUT NOW!!!! >>> SEE HERE <<< 1970 East Anglian Heavy Rock with Psychedelic Flourishes and stuff.

My wife calls Brillo Spod-U-Like.

My wife has a problem with cowbells, so she really hate's Free doing "Alright Now", she has a problem with jazz, psych, anything with distortion or feedback...then again she doesn't really care too much for music...that said, years ago I took her to see Bad Brains & she did a crap load of mushrooms, & she loved them!...& that's why I love her!
    .... ..- -. - . .-. ... / -... .. .-.. - --- -. --. / --. ..- .- .-. .- -. - . . -.. / ..-. .-. . ... .... -. . ... ... .-.-.-

TG and some Pierre Henry,wasnt too keen on Mikami Kan as he sounded like Rod Stewart to her.Cant stand Paul Wellers voice as well,not that I play any Jam these days.

well to quote homer simpson on jazz apparently they just make it up as they go along.
    it does totally sound like it to my jazzless ears

my girlfriend and I share remarkably similar musical tastes, although in our darkest pasts we differed radically.

I can rib her for her metal phase, and she can laugh at the fact I bought Belle and Sebastian records, but the fact remains- she turned me onto the Sonics
    "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

i forgot to mention she's not too keen on moog records!