Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hip-Hop hand gestures

Question Hip-Hop hand gestures

One of the many things I personally struggle with re. modern hip-hop is all the hand gesture stuff. It always strikes me as being as ridiculuous as metalheads doing their horn'ed one poses and the like.

Am I missing something?
    Can some of the hip-hop folk here clue me up on what the hell it all means?

To infinity - and beyond!

certainly - this particular gesture means "have you seen my bunnies?" or alternatively "I have a particularly small penis".

down south where they use the slide machine...

We know when a mate buys it for you too.

It means "I need attention/affection"

he looks about as hip hop as Bernard Cribbins. Are you sure it's not just some private school kid that's flicking something at you?

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Monkey View Post
    he looks about as hip hop as Bernard Cribbins. Are you sure it's not just some private school kid that's flicking something at you?
    James Blunt, innit.

Wasn't really asking about said sad sap in particular, just the phenomenon in general. I mean, is it all an insider code only hip-hop folks 'get' . . . or is just the kind of knee-jerk reaction that my japanese students succumb to when they all make peace signs behind each other's heads for photos?

Wink

You have a real problem with hip hop, don't you Hugh?
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

FREE BELFAST BUT CITIZEN OF THE WORLD DADDIO........................................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKTDRqQtPO8

perhaps this might help.........perhaps not.
    MODZ
    Hero No.9
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    LQQK! DR.CRIPPENS 7th MARCH 2015!!!!

Talking

Where's the B-Boy Mod when we need him?
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hero View Post
    You have a real problem with hip hop, don't you Hugh?
    What's it all about, eh, Rich?
    That's all I'm asking!

hahaha lol Whats your problem with hip-hop lol. How old r ya lol

Hand Gestures remind me of some sh*t Ali G would do or some dumb Wu Tang fans trying to make gang signs.

That guy doesn't look very hip-hop does he. Reminds of of some random dumb skater or some pathetic Tupac wannabe.

Quote Originally Posted by mpchooligan View Post
    hahaha lol Whats your problem with hip-hop lol. How old r ya lol

Hand Gestures remind me of some sh*t Ali G would do or some dumb Wu Tang fans trying to make gang signs.

That guy doesn't look very hip-hop does he. Reminds of of some random dumb skater or some pathetic Tupac wannabe.
    My problem is I don't get what the signs are supposed to mean.
    That's it.

I'm 38, btw.
    Not that that's got much to do with owt!

Is it all just kids pulling signs used by US gangs in order to attach an allure of violence and glamour to themselves? is that what's going on with it all, then? Or is there more to it?

i been a hip hopper since a little kid but i have never liked the fashion and hand gestures as it makes you look like a fool ...

lots of rappers seem to do the hand movements on stage when rhyming and to me it seems like the hand movements are helping them keep da riddim or conjure up words from their peabrains... i usually rhyme with one hand in the pocket and one on the mic just cos i dont know what to do with my other hand..

but jakarta you do seem to have an unnattural hate for hip hop...
    all "scenes" have sterotypes/fashions/uniform and to me their all as pathetic as each other...
    hippyspeak is particulary grating "groovy" "faarr outt maaaann" etc

i only waer clothes that are stolen that makes me da real hip hopp homie!

down south where they use the slide machine...

Quote Originally Posted by cancer scabies View Post
    i only waer clothes that are stolen that makes me da real hip hopp homie!
    No, you don't.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by john stapleton View Post
    No, you don't.
    lolz questioning my realness!!actually i did buy my trainers,socks and boxers...

I think we are becoming like our parents, I think it looks silly & its just copying all the Bloods & Crips with the gang signs, what actually confuses me in UK Hip Hop is the use of the word "mans"...eg "The mans is looking at me"...errr surely its "men"...but if you use the word "men" instead, it all starts to sound a bit gay...which makes me smile, & feel a little bit better about becoming an old twunt
    .... ..- -. - . .-. ... / -... .. .-.. - --- -. --. / --. ..- .- .-. .- -. - . . -.. / ..-. .-. . ... .... -. . ... ... .-.-.-

but jakarta you do seem to have an unnattural hate for hip hop...
    all "scenes" have sterotypes/fashions/uniform and to me their all as pathetic as each other...
    hippyspeak is particulary grating "groovy" "faarr outt maaaann" etc
    No unnatural hatred, tbh. Every now and then I hear a hip-hop track that still does it for me, though I guess these instances are somewhat limited by the fact I don't go lookig for it. Got my own thang going on these days, innit.

Back in '90-'91, though, I bought quite a lot of hip-hop . . . Black Sheep, PM Dawn, De La Soul, 3rd Bass, Digable Planets, the usual stuff you'd expect a white boy not knowing much about the scene to be buying at the time. There just seemed to be a very different vibe to mainstream hip-hop then. Bit more literate, open and optimistic. Had a strangely trippy vibe in places. Since then, though, I've just stopped paying attention really and it doesn't grab me. But then again, very little modern music does these days, old bastard that I'm becoming.

I do dislike the whole aggro posing and the playing at being gangsters thing a lot. And was wondering where the hand signals thing fitted in.

Oh, and I tire very quickly of booty-shaking R'n'B influenced macho posturing too. There are other websites available where such sites can be found minus the piss-poor sounds!

All of which I guess makes me the David Cameron of the board, by default.

Why did I ever start this bleeding thread?

The things you learn about yourself!

soon the fug of hip hop will pass and Blondie will introduce us all to a brand new youth phenomenan. I always thought that even Run DMC looked like big knobs when throwing the hand gestures around.

JJ

Here is the chance to get in some practice, and the lyrics are up there for you to sing along too:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tD5WlQ...elated&search=

Quote Originally Posted by jakartajive View Post
    No unnatural hatred, tbh. Every now and then I hear a hip-hop track that still does it for me, though I guess these instances are somewhat limited by the fact I don't go lookig for it. Got my own thang going on these days, innit.

Back in '90-'91, though, I bought quite a lot of hip-hop . . . Black Sheep, PM Dawn, De La Soul, 3rd Bass, Digable Planets, the usual stuff you'd expect a white boy not knowing much about the scene to be buying at the time. There just seemed to be a very different vibe to mainstream hip-hop then. Bit more literate, open and optimistic. Had a strangely trippy vibe in places. Since then, though, I've just stopped paying attention really and it doesn't grab me. But then again, very little modern music does these days, old bastard that I'm becoming.

I do dislike the whole aggro posing and the playing at being gangsters thing a lot. And was wondering where the hand signals thing fitted in.

Oh, and I tire very quickly of booty-shaking R'n'B influenced macho posturing too. There are other websites available where such sites can be found minus the piss-poor sounds!

Justin Warfield "My Field Trip To Planet Nine" went for the trippy effect, with great titles like "The B-Boys On Acid" & "Live From The Opium Den", the Pharcyde used to take lots of Mushrooms, but failed to record much whilst on them!
    http://www.amazon.com/Field-Trip-Pla.../dp/B000002MGP
    .... ..- -. - . .-. ... / -... .. .-.. - --- -. --. / --. ..- .- .-. .- -. - . . -.. / ..-. .-. . ... .... -. . ... ... .-.-.-

dont worry jakarta i haven't liked/bought any hip hop released in the last 10 years either(well mebbes a couple of indie/commercial things were ok but not enough to get excited over)
    nowadays i think the rapping is ok(if a bit too much gang/coke related) but the beats are just crazy madness that hurt your ears or boring stuff that hasn't moved on since 96(myself included)

dont worry jakarta i haven't liked/bought any hip hop released in the last 10 years either(well mebbes a couple of indie/commercial things were ok but not enough to get excited over)
    nowadays i think the rapping is ok(if a bit too much gang/coke related) but the beats are just crazy madness that hurt your ears or boring stuff that hasn't moved on since 96(myself included)
    Surely this makes you an ex-hip hopper?, it still makes me laugh when most of the people posting on here say they stopped liking Hip Hop 10 years ago...why?...good stuff still comes out, you've just got to look for it...oh, maybe its because you can't get it in a charity shop or a bootsale....go figure!

No unnatural hatred, tbh. Every now and then I hear a hip-hop track that still does it for me..... There just seemed to be a very different vibe to mainstream hip-hop then. Bit more literate, open and optimistic. Had a strangely trippy vibe in places.
    Don't know much about hip-hop either, though I do like Common (US) and Burial (UK) - both literate - both different, though Burial isn't particularly optimistic. Not sure if they are strictly hip-hop though... and certainly don't involve hand gesturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Tramp View Post
    Surely this makes you an ex-hip hopper?, it still makes me laugh when most of the people posting on here say they stopped liking Hip Hop 10 years ago...why?...good stuff still comes out, you've just got to look for it...oh, maybe its because you can't get it in a charity shop or a bootsale....go figure!
    Not really an ex hip hopper if i still listen to my nineties stuff all the time/make beats/have mammoth freestyle sessions with my mates.

i hear all these new songs from my mates bob disasta/spectrum and sheep etc but i just dont think there that good...

i did like that nore tune with the neptunes beat tho cos that really works in da club and i love the eastern vibes.. also i thought devan the dude had some nice tunes ... i know i'm a hater ...string me up and hang me from the gallows

Not really an ex hip hopper if i still listen to my nineties stuff all the time/make beats/have mammoth freestyle sessions with my mates.

i hear all these new songs from my mates bob disasta/spectrum and sheep etc but i just dont think there that good...

i did like that nore tune with the neptunes beat tho cos that really works in da club and i love the eastern vibes.. also i thought devan the dude had some nice tunes ... i know i'm a hater ...string me up and hang me from the gallows
    Its cool, we all change, but it amazes me that people can suddenly dismiss a whole genre, maybe Nas sums it up:
    What influenced my raps? Stick ups and killings
    Kidnappings, project buildings, drug dealings
    Criticize that, why is that?
    'cause Nas rap is compared to legitimized crap
    ('cause we love to talk on a*s we gettin')
    Most intellectuals will only half listen
    So you can't blame jazz musicians
    Or David Stern with his NBA fashion issues
    Oh I think they like me--in my white tee
    You can't ice me, we here for life B
    On my second marriage, hip hop's my first wifey
    And for that we not takin' it lightly
    If hip hop should die we die together
    Bodies in the morgue lie together
    All together now

I must admit, it fascinates me that saying I only like a select few early period Heavy Metal bands (like Black Sabbath and Hawkwind) but don't much rate the genre as a whole elicits not a peep of controversy but the same comment on Hip Hop brings forth a tidal wave of implications that not getting it is somehow racist or otherwise dysfunctional. Is it really any more significant to think that The Message, Public Enemy and De La Soul were genuinely inventive, interesting and musical in their day but that the current stuff, after 20 years as a mainstream commercial enterprise, is mostly lazy commercial product, with the same relationship to its original meaning as Robert Cray has to Delta blues or Starship's We Built This City has to Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit and Volunteers? When I hear something interesting in Hip Hop, it's interesting, but not usually my bag...I'm not big on the vast majority of dance music, stadium rock or radio one indie either. Does that mean I have 'a problem' with those genres and the people who make them too? I'm genuinely interested in why there's so much defensiveness about people not feeling that strongly about hip hop either way...is it some kind of American 'if you ain't with us you're against us' thing that's seeped in?
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Well, from the outset hip hop was supposed to be a ritualised alternative to actual gang violence through battling on the turntables, the microphone, the lino, and claiming territory through graffiti (see Ali G speaking to David Trimble for a more succinct sumary ). So braggadocio and posturing were always a fundamental part of it. Whether a gangster or not, borrowing from the culture could add to the image. And if you're claiming to be gangster you'd better be able to back it up or you'll be called out as a fake, and so it all descends into violence again.* (I'll shut up before I get any more condescending).

And for me, the problem with mainstream hip hop today is money. Once the rappers started outselling rockstars and could afford a luxury lifestyle, the records reflected that and it became about selling the aspirational, fake lifestyle (dreamed up by people with pretty limited imaginations, to be honest) to the kids. Much as I love the records, Nas and Biggie's debuts signalled the beginning of the end as every second rate rapper produced pal imitations to try and emulate their success. But as Wayne says, that's hardly exclusive to hip hop. Even outside of music everything from the National Lottery to Big Brother and Hello is based on the notion peddled that you can live your materialist fantasy.

\m/ Rich \m/

*Then again, there's that quote from Chuck Berry, whereby he claimed that he was better than Little Richard because he could have the latter in a fight. The aggro is hardly exclusive to hip hop.

i dunno ..i think hip hop gets dismissed by a lot of people cos of rude words/macho image/sexist/sampling other artists music/

however if rude words/macho image etc is contained on a psych platter it is called "outsider music" "oddball" "exponent of the counter culture" etc

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    I'm genuinely interested in why there's so much defensiveness about people not feeling that strongly about hip hop either way...is it some kind of American 'if you ain't with us you're against us' thing that's seeped in?
    Many of the old hands on this board have hip hop in their background. They may have grown out of it itself but it, and sample culture (hence the love of the golden age), opened their eyes to much the music they now listen too. So when the genre gets a bit of a bashing it feels like VV itself is getting a kicking. I get just as defensive when James Last and easy listening are called into question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hero View Post
    And for me, the problem with mainstream hip hop today is money. Once the rappers started outselling rockstars and could afford a luxury lifestyle, the records reflected that and it became about selling the aspirational, fake lifestyle (dreamed up by people with pretty limited imaginations, to be honest) to the kids.
    I remember long-lost magazine Select doing an interview at Ice T's house many years ago. They described it as looking as if '...a 15 year old boy had won the pools...'
    Matt Hero