Page 3 of 206 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Today, I have mostly been listening to...

Micalizzi's incredible, moving score for Stridulum. The Sadness theme is doing me in right now, rewind on that melancholy, damn!

Alberto Baldan's Soul of Ali Ben Djamballa and Herbie's Death Wish, a most Italo sounding score surely?
    Last edited by Soul-Fiend; 02-06-2008 at 11:32 PM.
    it's time for some heartbeats

Quote Originally Posted by cellardweller View Post

cheap & not rare but nice enough, from grand funk's founder, on cameo parkway subsidiary, so there's an animals connection too

other than that, 'songs for arctic fox' hand-made home-recorded cdr from beth jeans houghton.
    How does this compare with 'Numbers' (the B-side to 'I Who Have Nothing')? I think Numbers has a winner of a backing track with some seriously ripping fuzz and storming breaks, but somehow the vocals just spoil it for me - a bit weak and weedy by comparison.
    SEALED, this has a sticker on the front reading "COLOUR VINYL" so it's probably not black vinyl, even though black is a colour.

Default compare & contrast

this is definitely 'weak & weedy' - acoustic guitar, keys & vocal harmonies. a love torn ballad which rises to a crescendo over 2m 30s. it's a sunday afternoon spin, no fuzz near it. but i love it.

collecting records taught me everything i never needed to know

soundtracks from collaborative projects :cool:

Quote Originally Posted by The Foodel Bird View Post
    Jacskon C Frank - Blues Run The Game LP
    oooh nice - especially if it's an original - what's the story?

Cant get enough of:

"more creation" - lennie hibbert

at the moment...

"chinese beauty" & the title track

Quote Originally Posted by Col Wolfe View Post
    Nice
    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

today

Nick Drake - Time Of No Reply
    Ennio Morricone - Tepepa
    Sun Ra - Cosmos
    Paul Weller - 22 Dreams
    Ira Sullivan - Horizons
    Nancy Ames - Latin Pulse
    Kinks - The Great Lost Album
    Ocean Colour Scene - Moseley Shoals
    Various - The In-Kraut Volume 3
    The Advisory Circle - Other Channels

Quote Originally Posted by Beatfreak View Post
    How does this compare with 'Numbers'
    it's a pf sloan cover. (composer of 'eve of destruction'). apparently sloan was at the session, played acoustic guitar on the recording, & actually handled production.

a local hit in detroit & nyc, winter 1967

Quote Originally Posted by Towny View Post
    '
    yes very combination there col. any playlists or postable info to go?

1984, Hull, Self-Drive Records.

These folks obviously spent a lot of time listening to Peel/ Kershaw, as it's a nice odd mix of early 80s post-punk (think Orange Juice around the time they signed for Polydor), high-life / township jive guitars and high-up-the-fret basswork.

I had this around maybe 1985, loaned it out and never saw it again. still have a 12" off it too (Marimba Jive, uptempo party tune). So it was with some delight that this was pulled from the SEK20 box at Nostagipalatset.

if anyone's got a copy of The Red Guitars' "good technology" they don't want, it would find a happy nostalgic home. and it's my birthday soon too

Quote Originally Posted by cellardweller View Post
    yes very combination there col. any playlists or postable info to go?
    they were all posted here months ago
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

I'm listening to 'life is but a dream' by Wichita Fall

Best described as 'Sunshine Prog'- illsickraerbreaks

Super ambitious record, not yer usual three minute pop songs here!
    "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Hi there, been lurking for a few weeks and this is my first post....

I picked up Thurston Moore's book about mixtapes recently and that inspired me to dig out some out tape compilations people had made me, so I've been enjoying their diverse delights for the last few nights. Found a corker last night, Curtis Mayfield "Other Side of Town", Fela Kuti "Everybody Scatter", Black Dog, David Bowie and more, but the treat was the B side, De La Soul's Buhloonie Mind. What a fantastic album. Maceo Parker guest appearences, mad Japanese rappers.. it's got everything. An under-rated classic

Quote Originally Posted by BestDressedChicken View Post
    De La Soul's Buhloonie Mind. What a fantastic album. Maceo Parker guest appearences, mad Japanese rappers.. it's got everything. An under-rated classic
    I really need to go back and check that again, to be honest aside from the track "Ego Trippin", it never did that much for me?

I think it's awesome, but it's one of those weird Hip Hop albums that works as a consistent whole, rather than picking out the singles. I mean, I think tracks like "Area" or "Patty Duke" work really well on their own, but in the context of the album as a whole, I think they really come together and it becomes more than the sum of it's parts. There's a huge variety of sounds and samples on there, which is really mindblowing when you hear it all it one go. I like their off-kilter rapping as well - both in terms of style and themes - I can't remember the name of the track now, but one of 'em chats about his mum passing and links it into the birth of his daughter - which in turn segues into a lovely soul sample "... sometime soon" . Great stuff.

"
    Fuck being hard, Posdonus is complicated"

"Stakes is High" - their next LP - is phemonenal as well.

A band just too clever for their genre?

BTW not meaning to imply that hip hop is *dumb* cos I don't think that's true but the stuff that - IMO - makes De La great seems to be a bit under appreciated.

Thinking out loud - I suspect it's the Prince Paul on the production that makes it so good - has anyone heard his "Psychoanalysis"?

Quote Originally Posted by BestDressedChicken View Post
    I think it's awesome, but it's one of those weird Hip Hop albums that works as a consistent whole, rather than picking out the singles. I mean, I think tracks like "Area" or "Patty Duke" work really well on their own, but in the context of the album as a whole, I think they really come together and it becomes more than the sum of it's parts. There's a huge variety of sounds and samples on there, which is really mindblowing when you hear it all it one go. I like their off-kilter rapping as well - both in terms of style and themes - I can't remember the name of the track now, but one of 'em chats about his mum passing and links it into the birth of his daughter - which in turn segues into a lovely soul sample "... sometime soon" . Great stuff.

"

"Stakes is High" - their next LP - is phemonenal as well.

A band just too clever for their genre?
    yeah, "Stakes Is High" is incredible, think that and "De La Soul Is Dead" are their best by a long way (although I do still have a soft spot for "3 Feet...."). "Buhloone Mindstate" kinda reminds me of Jungle Brothers "J Beez Wit The Remedy", I like the idea of it but it just gets overshadowed by their other stuff....

I'll have to pick up "De La Soul is Dead", never heard it.. I didn't really like the last couple that much, lost that production madness though I like this track with Chaka Khan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhFHn5wB3s

Surprisingly (for me) I have bought a Paul Weller album - the new one 22 Dreams - and I have to say it is rather good!!! Unexpectedly eclectic and strong selection of songs and instrumentals... even a touch of jazzy style council in there. Check out 'Song for Alice' (dedicated to Alice Coltrane).

Last night I enjoyed these:

Lonnie Liston Smith & Cosmic Echoes - Expansions. Hadn't played this in agggeeees...'Desert nights' from this one is my tune of the moment, loving that flute .

Followed it up with Woody Shaw and the title track to his 'Love Dance' LP and the track 'Sunbath'. W Shaw, J Bonner, C McBee, B Harper and more...you can't go wrong

Finished with a run of little un's

Miss Lavell - Run to you
    Bobby Bland - Honey child
    Shirley Scott - Hankys Panky
    Sunaga t'experience - A healing blue....

Nice

Agree on that Eskola album too
    Things ain't getting no brighter, load ain't getting no lighter.........

http://www.mixcloud.com/Ian_Barker/

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Nikolsky View Post
    the new FCQ EP is also particularly wonderful

http://www.myspace.com/thefivecornersquintet

Ummm...I have three of the previous "10 releases and the CD of 'Chasin' the jazz gone by'. I love 'em to bits particularly 'Blueprint', 'Blue cycles' and my toppermost fav of theirs 'Three Corners'.

Gotta say I'm not so enthusiastic about this one . Nice to hear them developing their sound a little but the contemporary 'mod jazz' feel of the new one isn't quite doing it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pitch View Post
    Surprisingly (for me) I have bought a Paul Weller album - the new one 22 Dreams - and I have to say it is rather good!!! Unexpectedly eclectic and strong selection of songs and instrumentals... even a touch of jazzy style council in there. Check out 'Song for Alice' (dedicated to Alice Coltrane).
    it's excellent. Album of the year so far.

I bought the double CD - with the extra disc being quite good. Does the vinyl just have the regular 21 tracks?

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

just had two spins of the new weller album and well taken with it i am !! - i also got the expanded wildwood - so good to here it after 15 years sounding as wonderful as ever - through the mail i got this :

Turned my nose up at the price of the vinyl reissue but with i'd gone for it now as they all seem to be sold out - incredible sounding album...

Groovy love vibes thru a prism of jade statues in swinging singles apartment complex action... Cadillac with fuzzy dice, feather boa, lotsa cigarette burns, stale perfumed ashen air. This album in the 8-track player at 5 AM with someone you don't even know passed out in the backseat, as you head to the diner to meet up with an early-bird Lava Lite salesman who deals pills on the side. Bubbly champagne molecules become the plastic vinyl booths in dim-lit dive bars; it's crackerbox post-war suburban low-rent psychedelic..

The music is notoriously hard to describe, but projects scenes of all-night cruising through Edge City... a hip which is not metropolitan hip, but dreams of stardom and glamour from the American underbelly, two renegade souls zooming down the highway between Austin and Nashville...

from the subliminal sounds website..
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

Quote Originally Posted by nlgbbbblth View Post
    it's excellent. Album of the year so far.

I bought the double CD - with the extra disc being quite good. Does the vinyl just have the regular 21 tracks?
    whats on the extra disc?
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

think there trying to attract a wider audience (especially the rockabilly crowd)

nice floor fillers all the same
    Just followed the link to their site - wow!
    They've completely passed me by
    Loving the tracks on their Five Corners EP - is that the one that's going to attract a wider audience????
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by Expury70 View Post
    Five Corners EP - is that the one that's going to attract a wider audience????
    nope, it's called "the hot corner EP".

also, check the "on the spot" comps that their label "ricky tick" hasput out, sensational scandi-jazz.

oh, and looks like we've got some other lurkers... gillesy p's latest podcast is, erm, a mark murphy mix special. covers a rmarkably similar ground to the list we put together a month or so ago...

think there trying to attract a wider audience (especially the rockabilly crowd)

nice floor fillers all the same

Yup....it's that grease loving bassline on the opening track that's putting me off, blinkered so and so that I am. Back to my furrow...

Quote Originally Posted by alanmck View Post
    nope, it's called "the hot corner EP".

also, check the "on the spot" comps that their label "ricky tick" hasput out, sensational scandi-jazz.

oh, and looks like we've got some other lurkers... gillesy p's latest podcast is, erm, a mark murphy mix special. covers a rmarkably similar ground to the list we put together a month or so ago...
    Must admit to not knowing much about current jazz sounds - but must check this out
    Can't keep up with all of the leads to good music
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

This morning sorting out paperwork listened to -

The Best of King Curtis (Atrlantic LP)
    - bit of a mixed bag but enjoying "Memphis Soul Stew" and "jump back"

Odetta and The Blues(Riverside LP)
    - my first Odetta album and enjoying it quite alot.

Incognito - Always There (Talking Loud 7")
    Quality jazz-funk and only 25p from Haggle Vinyl. Ronnie Laws did a version but dunno which one is the original.

Quote Originally Posted by flytipper View Post
    whats on the extra disc?
    1. 22 Dreams (Demo)
    2. Rip The Pages Up
    3. Light Nights (Demo)
    4. Cold Moments (Demo)
    5. Love's Got Me Crazy
    6. Invisible (Marco Version)
    7. Big Brass Buttons (Instrumental)
    8. 22 Dreams (Instrumental)

Tracks 2 and 7 are brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by davesmusictank View Post
    Ronnie Laws did a version but dunno which one is the original.
    Ronnie Laws was the original (mid-70's, Incognito was early 90's)