Today, I have mostly been listening to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chimptown
    Ugly Custard
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by medlar View Post
    Land Of Kush - Against The Day (Constellation 2lp)

Amazing psyche drone metal jazz and everything else lp on Constellation

Highly recommended, one of the lp's of the year so far
    just checked a sample of this out. sounds brilliant - on the wants list.
    Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

• BeatsDeluxe
      Ugly Custard
      • Feb 2005

Baird Hersey & the year of the ear - Lookin for that groove
      Cheapo find on Novus that I've never seen before. Dull looking sleeve but great jazz. Free, spiritual and funky at the same time.

Comment

• Expiry2011
        He's going, going... gone.
        • Mar 2008

[ATTACH]1718[/ATTACH]

Spent most of yesterday listening to this (the image isn't of my copy which doesn't have the signature)
        Picked it up for 20p the other day and it keeps going back to the turntable
        Very little pure country and lots of schmaltz, there is something about the over-the-top arrangements and ridiculous sincerity that attracts me.
        He takes songs by folk singers such as Donovan, Dylan and Bob Lind, songs by traditional coountry artists like Roy Orbison and Jimmie Rodgers and throws in histrionic classics such as The Impossible Dream and Without Her
        His voice is impeccable and the arrangements lush but not overbearing.
        The first time I played it I thought it was a big joke. Now I think it is heart wrenching.
        "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

• Moogaloo
          Spell Checker
          • Jan 2005

Been listening to the excellent "Sound of Wonder" Compilation on finders keepers.

Also listening to a couple of records on minit both excellent

Soul Cowboy - Memphis Soul Band (Memphis Black) - Fanatastic Hammond Groove. The track listing makes it looks ordinary, but the re-insterperetation is fantastic. The version of Mrs Robinson may now have surpassed the James Taylor Quartets version for me.

Funky Blues Seller - Contains a couple of Memphis Black tracks including Why don't you play the organ man, the rest is great funky Mod R&B.

Just got through the post a "Les Charlots" EP on Vougue with Psychose and others on it. I am hopefully it will be beaty hammond fuelled groove, will report back.
          Last edited by Moogaloo; 22-04-2009, 10:08 AM. Reason: Pictures are nice
          My Mixcloud

Comment

• babycart
            Baldhead Growler
            • Sep 2004

Anti-capitalist orchestral samba gorgeous love song and curse infested masterpiece with a worker falling off a building and dying in the street at its dark heart.

Cotidiana's currently running through my head. Woozy, breathless, stop start samba about waking up, eating, coming home and sleeping with a woman you love and hate day after day.

The album finishes with a sour lullaby: "Sleep, little one, because there's nothing worth waking up for."
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• emperor tomato ketchup
              Chocolate Rain
              • May 2003

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
              the mummers. they take over where stereolab recently left off, and my discovery of them has softened that loss!
              You reckon? I was deeply unimpressed with their stuff on Jools Holland - and I like Goldfrapp!! This just seemed like a less weird version, very obviously stiched together out of a few current tropes. How representative was that performance of the rest of their stuff?
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

• fnoev
                Animated Egg
                • Mar 2008

Randy California - Kaptain Kopter and the (Fabulous) Twirly Birds. I realy realy like this album. Its hard rock with an edge. Briliant.

Comment

• alanmck
                  Jazz Moderator
                  • Nov 2002

splendid.

Comment

• ginghamkitchen
                    Cliff Pilchard
                    • Aug 2005

Particularly the Percy Grainger tracks.
                    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• jakartajive
                      The Horseless Headman
                      • Sep 2005

The last couple of days, I've had this overlooked beauty on heavy rotation:

Wanted by Mason Proffit from '69.

Blissed-out Notorious Byrd Brothers harmonies and wooziness, West Coast guitar lines, a dash of Creedence's hard and soulful riffing and a liberal splash of Merle Haggard.

As good as my other recent fave in this terrain, the Comox LP.
                      To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• alanmck
                        Jazz Moderator
                        • Nov 2002

Just fantastic. This was played to me last week by a friend in Edinburgh, I'd completely forgotten about it. well, not all of it. yes yes, so it's got funky stuff on it that everyone knows well (Express Yourself, Superbad...). hadn't listened to my copy in years.

but flip this monster over for the sublime electric modal jazz monster that is "Wander".

Comment

• Nocturnal Sunshine
                          Animated Egg
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by alanmck View Post

Just fantastic. This was played to me last week by a friend in Edinburgh, I'd completely forgotten about it. well, not all of it. yes yes, so it's got funky stuff on it that everyone knows well (Express Yourself, Superbad...). hadn't listened to my copy in years.

but flip this monster over for the sublime electric modal jazz monster that is "Wander".
                          one of my favorite records ever ... "by the red sea" is an incredible track too

Comment

• Expiry2011
                            He's going, going... gone.
                            • Mar 2008

Today I have been listening to the sound of children laughing, little feet splashing in a paddling pool, birds singing in the trees and liquid refreshment going down well
                            No record has made me feel happier - unless someone has a record of a happy summers day in the Lido in Hyde Park
                            "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

• el sporto
                              Electric Banana
                              • Aug 2005

I'm lovin' the Profondo Rosso OST tonight.
                              A Sound Awareness

Comment

• Sie-Fly
                                Lauging Gravy
                                • Oct 2004

saturday round ours

tim hardin-suite for susan moore and damion.
                                sounds good with weston's rasberry cider.
                                marvin gaye-trouble man ost.
                                staropramen.
                                garnett mimms-cry baby.
                                gin and lime...
                                midlake-van occupanther
                                lancashire blue cheese and oatcakes...
                                jarvis cocker-jarvis
                                sounds good,much better that it sounded when it came out in 2006.
                                salt cod fishcakes.
                                and good weed.
                                Rockwell
                                Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Working...
                                X