Page 1 of 206 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Today, I have mostly been listening to...

Default Today, I Have Mostly Been Listening To

cos it's a frikkin corker.

had this for years, only ever listened to one or two tracks from it, then dug it out when moving records around at home, and was blown away by it's greateness. solid, start to finish, great great great record. time and place, got that will, hey joe, california dreaming (the last two of these as featured on the Stonesthrow Psychedelic Soul Podcast a wee while back) would each be worth the entry fee on their own. the version of hey joe is probably my favourite.

NEXT!

Indeed it is a corker... and you didn't mention the sad ballad "What You Don't Want Me To Be" that still brings a tear to the corner of my eye...

The original issue is, in my personal experience, very difficult to turn up, but an upcoming reissue should make Lee Moses' music more accessible to all..

What other gems are you gonna pull from the crates today then, Mack...?

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Default stirring soul stuff today, kids...

'nuther corker start to end. esther's a gospel queen, and this album is soaked in that gospel-soul tradition. he don't appreciate it, mama, chains of love, walk tall, even the ones that start a bit lame change and build, like no answer came. the best bits all arranged and conducted by gene page (blacula, etc), and all overseen by the mighty Bob Thiele. Released on Flying Dutchman in 1969 (there's a Euro pressing on Phillips too). It's considerably better as an album than Esther's later effort on Fantasy "Sister Woman" (which does feature the monster track "things ain't right").
    Last edited by alanmck; 01-06-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Talking another killer...

I'm a bit worried that you are sat in my house, right now!

Oh, and you can get "He Don't Appreciate It / Mama" on Phillips 45 for cheap, those of you looking to sample the soul of Ms Marrow...
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

I've been listening to The Small Face 'Ogdens Nut Gone Flake' - I'm currently reading a Steve Marriot biog and had kind of forgotten how good the SF stuff is. Tend to forget the fact that they only really produced 3 LPs

Best white UK soul singer???
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

I'm listening to the album by Mark Eric on revue...just arrived this morning from japan

fantastic...its great harmony pop, and he has a pleasingly weird voice
    "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

a wee grouping of stuff from the rest of this morning... gotta love working for Saudis, they all take Friday off...

not always the biggest fan of mr ballard, but this album is a good 'un. how you gonna get respect, funky soul train, with your sweet loving self (my absolute favourite on this set), unwind yourself, come on wit' it. and unusually, james brown only claims partial authorship on 6 of the tracks.

swampy southern soul from that elvis lookin muthafucka (as he was described to me by the guy in the shop i bought this from ). well known round this board, so shan't go on about it.

omigod, a 45! aye, and a funky one at that. according to miss tamango, man can't live, not by bread alone.

and back to the Brown. always nice to touch a bit of Brown of a Friday morning. Hang Ups We Don't Need (The Hungry We Got To Feed), You Got To Have A Job, etcetera, etceteraaaa

some geezers round these parts reissued the John Wagner album on Koala. this isn't it, but it is on Koala. Wagner produced it too (JWPinc credit) in Albuquerque, in 1976. again, southern soul is the best way to decribe this, but with a bit of a sprinking of latin horns, some funk. a bitty smoother than the other stuff i've listed. nice album to listen all the way through, but the real standout is "times are gettin' hard", which i've probably played out at Brillo in the past. final track bests the Happy Mondays by about 13 years, being that it is called rave on.

one of the greatest female vocal performances i have ever heard. nothing else need be said. i defy you to find any single track better than the title track of this album.

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post

Best white UK soul singer???
    yep! No-one matches Marriott for sheer passion and intensity.

Followed closely by Stevie Winwood, Chris Farlowe, Terry Reid..

Default ?!

Mick Hucknall. . . .

Listened alternately to these two yesterday whilst having a good re-organise.
    Cheers to John S for prompting me to pick up the Judee Sill a few weeks back.....lovely LP.

And the Arthur Blythe's just got a great overall sound to it through the combination of sax, tuba and cello. Difficult to describe...somewhere between New Orleans marching band and an East European animation soundtrack....it's the scratchy dissonant cello playing that does it I think.

After reading about this stuff in the Observer Music mag I had a wee google and found this set here:http://chocoreve.blogspot.com/

Some utterly bonkers stuff on this. Only made it through disc 1 so far. May well be inflicting some of the other 3 discs on folks at a bbq this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by alanmck View Post

one of the greatest female vocal performances i have ever heard. nothing else need be said. i defy you to find any single track better than the title track of this album.
    Interesting choice - from a soul perspective, I could think of a stack of performances that I would put before Ms Ellison, say Barbara Mason 'Half a love' on Arctic (keeping it fairly accessible, like )

Tammy Grimes readin' GEORGE mACdONALD'S FAIRYTALE "tHE gOLDEN kEY" (OAN cAEDEMON rECORDS).

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Chiba View Post
    Mick Hucknall. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Belson View Post
    Interesting choice - from a soul perspective, I could think of a stack of performances that I would put before Ms Ellison, say Barbara Mason 'Half a love' on Arctic (keeping it fairly accessible, like )
    ive got this lp somewhere never really left an impression on me perhaps i need to listen to it some more...

the 'california dreaming' on that LEE MOSES that wallace posted is face-melting.

today i have been listeing to this on repeat - it never gets old:

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    ive got this lp somewhere never really left an impression on me perhaps i need to listen to it some more...
    As a whole, I think the LP is fairly weak. But there's 1 or 2 cuts on there worth the admission fee.

Quote Originally Posted by pencilface View Post
    the 'california dreaming' on that LEE MOSES that wallace posted is face-melting
    hmmm, never knew thaar prince of eagles was a fan

Quote Originally Posted by Belson View Post
    As a whole, I think the LP is fairly weak. But there's 1 or 2 cuts on there worth the admission fee.
    a very cheap admission fee at that (about $20 should get a copy i think). the album isn't fantastic, but i really do think that the title track is in The Pantheon. yes, above Ms Mason and her curly haired, men's shirt wearing loveliness...

i do like the Arctic track that you meniton, Greg, but I was stopped in my tracks the first time I heard "Stay With Me". the last section of the song is heart-wrenching.

Black merda - Folks From Mothers Mixer's the falvour here.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

omigod, a 45! aye, and a funky one at that. according to miss tamango, man can't live, not by bread alone.
    Great record that, got a copy from my neighbour (along with a load of other stuff) last week.

I've mostly been listening to Future Pilot AKA & Alasdair Gray's version of the Sun Ra classic "Nuclear War" - have a listen here = http://www.creepingbent.org/
    Last edited by loosejoints; 02-06-2007 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Fixed link

yes, above Ms Mason and her curly haired, men's shirt wearing loveliness...

Ah, the Buddah'd version of Babs - nice enough cover of the Curtis tune though.

If you haven't heard this'un, then do try. Smashin' LP throughout;

Quote Originally Posted by loosejoints View Post
    Great record that, got a copy from my neighbour (along with a load of other stuff) last week.
    Wow! Wish the folks next to me had records like that. In Govanhill, you could probably amass a very interesting international collection from your neighbours...

PS The FP AKA link doesnae work.

Today has been spent in the fine company of:

A bit of noodle-rock, 2 singer-songwriter geniuses (how good are those albums!!), and a bit of new-kraut rock. A good day

Currently rediscovering:

I hadn't heard this record in years. Some of the slower songs have a bit of an uneasy desperate edge, but it's all fab pop stuff, especially the more rocking numbers ("I Got Kinda Lost" is my new favourite).

Larry Saunders -Free Angela

Wow, on a hot melancholy afternoon, this really hit the spot. Along with the great opening track on the Skip Mahoaney and the Casuals lp.

cos it's a frikkin corker.

had this for years, only ever listened to one or two tracks from it, then dug it out when moving records around at home, and was blown away by it's greateness. solid, start to finish, great great great record. time and place, got that will, hey joe, california dreaming (the last two of these as featured on the Stonesthrow Psychedelic Soul Podcast a wee while back) would each be worth the entry fee on their own. the version of hey joe is probably my favourite.

NEXT!

yeah, love that LP - its just been re-issued on double vinyl with loads of bonus tracks!"!nice! the cd had been due out for ages but didn't expect a vinyl press as well!!

http://www.sanctuaryrecords.co.uk/in...&rt=&lastpage=

great for me as been after a copy for many moons and cannae afford an original!was very excited when that one jumped out the racks at me!

also noticed today on picadilly records they've just got a US re-issue of the ester marrow LP in stock - another great record although i know nothing of the origins of the repress - might have to take the plunge though!

Barbara Mason - Sad sad girl is a long time favourite
    rick wakeman´s keyboard

Thumbs up Oh yes!...

Christian Prommer's latin version of 'Strings of Life' on Sonar Kollectiv...

Proper hearting this right now, getting better and better with every listen!...
    stretchy eyes..........

Default Today, I have mostly been listening to...

bass driven twisted jazz, in the shape of...

Eddie Gomez: Downstretch (blackhawk)
    AEOC: Theme De Yoyo (pathe marconi)
    Stafford James: Costa Bruciata (horo)
    Chick Corea: Moon Dance (far east)
    Steve Grossman: Inmate Man (pm) which is exactly the same track as
    Teruo Nakamura: The Cat (polydor)

and then:

John Surman: Dance (deram)

next!
    Last edited by alanmck; 29-12-2007 at 06:26 PM.