Thread: Whatever happened to...

Was thinking the other day about some of the folk who I used to get records off years ago (particularly those who I used to do trades with - I've always been too skint to just purchase stuff&#33.

Wonder who, despite the rise and rise of eBay are still around.

I used to get lists etc from such folk as: Soul Brother, Soul-utions, Soul Provider, Casbah, Hot Biscuit, Virgo Vibes, Steps Ahead, Intoxica, John Doe, John Manship etc

Anyone have any fond memories of these guys, or know if they're still trading or were wiped out by the 'Bay?

Benicio
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

down south where they use the slide machine...

Soul Brother, John Manship and Intoxica are still very much going. The guy from Casbah (can't remember his name) moved to Spain - in fact I came across his new website last week, very nice stuff on there indeed (as expected&#33. Hot Biscuit was Jake who runs Counterpoint, wasn't it? I never used the others but my question is whatever happened to Black Grape (the record dealer not the dodgy band) - they used to have some cracking 45's.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Yeah, I remember Oli going to Spain....owing me money. And Soul Provider went out of business....owing me money!!

Splash DVD went out of business this week...owing me money!!

Bastards.

And don't get me started about cheating Portuguese rats and corrupt Russian officials. This has not been a good week.

Benicio
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Mar. 11 2004,15:25)]Soul Brother, John Manship and Intoxica are still very much going. The guy from Casbah (can't remember his name) moved to Spain - in fact I came across his new website last week, very nice stuff on there indeed (as expected&#33. Hot Biscuit was Jake who runs Counterpoint, wasn't it? I never used the others but my question is whatever happened to Black Grape (the record dealer not the dodgy band) - they used to have some cracking 45's.
    Didn't Black Grape morph into the Grapevine 2000 set up?

Edit: Yes they did. Here's their website: http://www.grapevine-soul.com/new_page_1.htm
    Endless Tripe

Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Mar. 11 2004,15:49)]And don't get me started about cheating Portuguese rats and corrupt Russian officials. This has not been a good week.
    Utd having done to them what they have done to so many. Oh how we laughed.

Quote[/b] ]Oh how we laughed.
    .... Still laughing Bill !

I actually bought a record off the Soul Brother list this month... £20 for a mint The Devil's "Xorcist" single on People seemed reasonable... I've not seen a copy for years... whaddya reckon ?
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ Mar. 11 2004,16:44)]
    Quote[/b] ]Oh how we laughed.
    .... Still laughing Bill !

I actually bought a record off the Soul Brother list this month... £20 for a mint The Devil's "Xorcist" single on People seemed reasonable... I've not seen a copy for years... whaddya reckon ?
    So the Devil actually made a record then?
    Endless Tripe

As Bill Hicks once said... "the Devil's got all the best tunes"...

:hicks: rophet:
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ Mar. 11 2004,16:44)]I actually bought a record off the Soul Brother list this month... £20 for a mint The Devil's "Xorcist" single on People seemed reasonable... I've not seen a copy for years... whaddya reckon ?
    I've seen a few copies on the bay over the last 6 months or so.

I'ld say you paid just about a decent price for it. Seen these for £15 fairly recently, instead of the mindless £40 it got up to about 5 years ago.

So how did he fit that in with his busy schedule running Man United?
    Endless Tripe

Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ Mar. 11 2004,16:51)]As Bill Hicks once said... "the Devil's got all the best tunes"...
    "hymn's a swingin?"

hahahaha ! nice one Wooly.

Cheers for the honest reply Belson... I thought I'd paid a decent price. Always nice to have a double-check from a fellow Vulture.

do remember 'Jam Records' in the Trocadero run by a bloke called 'Ollie' got some nice bits from there he also did the fairs as well..!
    Go on wit'cha bad elf

Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Mar. 11 2004,15:03)]Was thinking the other day about some of the folk who I used to get records off years ago (particularly those who I used to do trades with - I've always been too skint to just purchase stuff&#33.

I used to get lists etc from such folk as: Soul Brother, Soul-utions, Soul Provider, Casbah, Hot Biscuit, Virgo Vibes, Steps Ahead, Intoxica, John Doe, John Manship etc

Anyone have any fond memories of these guys, or know if they're still trading or were wiped out by the 'Bay?

Benicio
    Personally, I praise the day I got familiar with the internet. No longer will I pay RIDICULOUS prices for records from people like John Manship (for instance). I'm sure he & others like him do just as well these days as they always have done but I'd rather play the waiting game. I've got at least half my most wanted Top100 from the internet over the last couple of years at a fraction of the cost Phil Spelman, Gerald, Intoxica or whoever would list them for.
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Mar. 11 2004,15:03)]Was thinking the other day about some of the folk who I used to get records off years ago (particularly those who I used to do trades with - I&#39;ve always been too skint to just purchase stuff&#33.

Anyone have any fond memories of these guys, or know if they&#39;re still trading or were wiped out by the &#39;Bay?

Benicio
    Virgo Vibes was Tony Whatsisname. He&#39;s moved to Spain and plays a lot of golf now.

Joe Doe (from Manchester -bald with a goatee) is still around I think. He was at Southport a few years ago anyway. Spends winters in the States apparently.

Black Grape was Gary Cape, so he&#39;s obviously still about as stated by other people.

Ollie Casbah lives in Madrid as mentioned and records as Casbah 73 for the Hitop Record Label.
    Here&#39;s his site: www.casbahrecords.com

Soul-utions that brings back memories. Weren&#39;t they from Grantham or Lincolnshire?
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

[QUOTE=[b]Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ Mar. 11 2004,16:44)]

I actually bought a record off the Soul Brother list this month... £20 for a mint The Devil&#39;s &quot;Xorcist&quot; single on People seemed reasonable... I&#39;ve not seen a copy for years... whaddya reckon ?
    yikes. that seems a little high. i don&#39;t know the exact exchange rate right now between pounds and dollars, but i got my devils 45 off of ebay and it was only in the &#036;30-&#036;40 range if I remember correctly.

Quote[/b] ]Soul-utions that brings back memories. Weren&#39;t they from Grantham or Lincolnshire?
    Yep, Dave Raistrick, Steve Wright lookalike. Used to have a shop in Grantham (that hive of activity, but also where I seem to be the only one hitting the charities&#33, which was just winding down when I started collecting. I got almost all my P-Funk off him. Kind of a nice bloke, used to chat to me quite often, but when he went 100% mail order started being a bit snide. Once took ages to sort me out with some credit and a couple of things I ordered til I offered to go to his house and collect seeing it was obviously a struggle for him to post them. A friendly way of explaining to him that I knew where he lived&#33;&#33; Bottesford, if anyone&#39;s still got a score to settle with him&#33;&#33;

Manship used to have a shop in Newark-On-Trent, he also had one in Melton, but I think that went some time ago, but I&#39;m here to be corrected. He&#39;s one dodgy bastard&#33; Once got me to price up a load of LPs that he&#39;d brought back from the States (he knows FUCK ALL about LPs cos he&#39;s so into 45s) and having done so and done it completely honestly, what was my reward? First dibs on the Mike James Kirkland LP? Free copy of Headhunters&#39; LP? No. My reward was &quot;Oh, cheers for that buddy.&quot; I was such a tit. I also bought Skullsnaps off him for £30 (I think), took it home, realised it was a one-track piece of shit and took it in the next day hoping to get money back and he offered me £15 buy-back&#33;&#33; What a turd&#33; Oh well, you live and learn.

Those two were really the only dealers I ever had a problem with. We&#39;ve had some pretty straight-up fellas in the UK when all&#39;s said and done. It&#39;s nearly always the old soul boys who are shifty.

Benicio

PS United were robbed. I demand an enquiry. Also, Rio hasn&#39;t tested positive and is banned for 8mths, Greg &#39;Jaw-jut&#39; Rusedski has bright blue piss and a publicity-whore missus and gets let off&#33; Fuck&#39;s sake. One rule for posh twat sports and one rule for footie&#33; You wait til Lawrence Dallaglio and Co finally get caught for their steroid abuse, the words &#39;swept&#39; &#39;under&#39; and &#39;carpet&#39; will feature prominently&#33; Can we have a Des Lynam icon for when I need to vent my sporting spleen? Or one for Clare Balding, actually, you&#39;ve already got one for &#39;her&#39; , rough as fuck.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Mar. 11 2004,17:54)]Benicio
    Personally, I praise the day I got familiar with the internet. No longer will I pay RIDICULOUS prices for records from people like John Manship (for instance). I&#39;m sure he &amp; others like him do just as well these days as they always have done but I&#39;d rather play the waiting game. I&#39;ve got at least half my most wanted Top100 from the internet over the last couple of years at a fraction of the cost Phil Spelman, Gerald, Intoxica or whoever would list them for.[/QUOTE]
    Top post, I was thinking about posting a similar one a while back but did&#39;nt get round to it.
    Totally agree with Col. I was a bit slow on the internet up take, but thinking back to some of the prices I paid / thought about paying from lists&#33;&#33; Ive managed to cop loads of stuff that even 5/6 years ago were high on the various lists. Have managed to get stuff 1/2 of the list prices or less

My favourite lists were Casbah, he seemed to be on the Euro stuff really early on, still read them old lists when Im on the shitter. Hot Biscuit was good for copping cheaper 45&#39;s, I rue not ringing up for Night of the Wolf at £15.00....
    Soul Explosion is still about, Martin is always at the Manchester Black Music Fair, he tends to specialize in Latin &amp; Boogaloo LP&#39;s at the mo.
    I started to get soul Brother lists again &#39;cause I bought a few new 45&#39;s, I&#39;d be suprised if they sell much off the Org. LP section, the lists looks pretty similar to what it was 10 years ago or how ever long it was.
    Any one ever get those lists from Italy, can&#39;t remember the name but their logo was a pistol? Ill dig one out if I still them&#33;
    Soul Bowl were good lists but I think I was about 5 years too late.
    Ive got a wicked old list from Anglo American (Tim Brown), fookin&#39; scary low prices on those 45&#39;s&#33;&#33;&#33;
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Oh those Italian lists were ace&#33;&#33; Well remembered sir&#33; Was it Black Power music or something? From Bologna? I reckon that one of the guys was Nicola Conte who DJ&#39;ed at Fez and used to print his charts in Straight No Chaser. I think&#33; And the other was Luca, maybe the same Luca who&#39;s now involved with BabyT music?

God, it all comes back to you with a little prompting. I agree that Casbah&#39;s lists were shit hot. His website makes interesting reading to this day. He was one of the first people I remember bigging up Placebo, Plus, TNTH, Kandahar etc and similarly with library. The best lists were always those with the most enthusiasm and opinion in them. (Us eBay sellers need to bear that in mind&#33.

And how cheap was John Doe, I used to get some mad LPs off him and he&#39;d rarely go above £25-30 on anything. I got that SpaceArk LP off him, sealed for £20. Sold it to Soul Provider a fortnight later when I realised it was poo though&#33; Soul Provider, what was his damn name?&#33;&#33; Reckoned he had to give up cos of a kidney ailment keeping him off work and the bank wouldn&#39;t accept that as an excuse. He did great lists and used to play new stuff down the phone AND actually rang me when I&#39;d had my knee operation to see if I was OK&#33; Top fella.

They were great days, just starting out and learning more with each list you got, memorising them for when you went into e.g. Rob&#39;s Records.

Of course, the internet, GEMM in particular, has done me the world of good. But it&#39;s nice to reminisce.

An altogether more innocent age. Jackets for goalposts, small boys.....
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

down south where they use the slide machine...

ah...hindsight.
    I used to get Soul Bowl lists every week - getting up every Wednesday at half seven to wait for the postie. If only...if only. I remember paying £15 or £20 (Big Money&#33 for the Fabulous Originals, I think I bought Earl English for £10. I also bought loads of things like Otis Goodwin for £8 - that&#39;s probably worth, ooh, a tenner now. Why I didn&#39;t pick up stuff like Arthur Monday or Third Guitar I&#39;ll never know.
    Anyone remember the Funhouse psych lists? Fifty Foot Hose for three quid? Time machine, please.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Alot of the lists always had a Big Jim H LP tucked away at a tenner, thats one reason I kept buying &#39;em. I thought that when I finally got &#39;surfin&#39; I&#39;d make a packet, only to realise you mothers probally had the same idea&#33;&#33;

Pretty sure Luca aint the guy you mentioned, I know him of old.

Worst trade of my life:
    Used some decent trade with Resolution to &#39;score&#39; that Johnny Scott LP Communication at a price I can&#39;t bear to remember, only to find it the day after I got it for a quid.
    My favourite list was a soul guy from Warrington, who did 100 45&#39;s for £100.00. He disappeared&#33; i was gutted. I got a funk 45 on a green lable,,,,,, what was it Funky summat, so &amp; so &amp; the so &amp; so&#39;s... It will come back to me......
    Agreed, some bad deals with Manship over the years. Snake.
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg