Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weekend finds 1st March on

Default Weekend finds 1st March on

I shouldn't grumble but just as I'm about to move from sunny Erdington to the rainy Northwest, I'm enrolled into the upper echelons of chazza society. I rang my local on Tuesday to see if a new batch had come in as promised by a previous customer & the lady said she would phone me when they did
    As promised I received the call today & bought these for 30p each:-

All Around My Hat has a card insert with holes in which allows the faces on the cover to be seen unstretched sideways

Bob Johnson & Pete Knight is a Lord of the Rings stylee folk concept/soundtrack kinda thing.

I chose the Wild Angels - Live at the Revolution (Rock 'n' Roll revivalists from 1970) mainly for the cover with the greasy bikers looking ready to kick some Mod ass

The last two LPs I bought for £1 each from my local house clearance "shop"

The Sabbath is a reissue but strangely in a swirl innersleeve. I was looking forward to the African LP, which is a mixed bag of styles, Piglit says is some sort of musical.
    Last edited by mike sondek; 01-03-2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Listening

Girls Vs Boys - House of GvsBs
    Tim Buckley - Dream Letter
    Pavement - Watery Domestic
    Dead Can Dance - Serpent's Egg
    The Fall - I am Curious, Oranj
    Galaxie 500 - This is Our Music
    Ultra Vivid Scene - Special One
    Pere Ubu - Cloudland
    Eno - Ambient 4

Peechee expressed surprise in a recent finds thread about stuff from the post CD era ending up in Charities and about how a collection of finds was his 'soundtrack of the 90s'...... well this bunch felt weird; I've never actually owned any of these records before, but but I own or have owned records by all of these artists before - it's all pretty much what i would have been listening to when all this stuff came out, apart from Dead can Dance.

Furthermore, the rest of the collection included loads of records i knew well - was close to happening on a slightly off- fictionalised version of my own past...... (all in a local Oxfam - and not book priced either)
    Last edited by d7bohs; 01-03-2008 at 06:39 PM.

I've had that on occasion as well- got a load of royal trux albums and some stuff on too pure from a real 'old lady' chazza a while back.

It's definitely noteworthy, I guess cos its stuff some of us would have bought, and we can't imagine ourselves donating our records of the period...makes you wonder what's changed in that persons life so much. Like looking at your own record hoarding mortality or something!
    "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Life has been good to me the last weeks

Expansion was a trade. Some beaty and mostly crazy electronics jazz. I think the correct musical term is wicked weirdo jazz
    Giant steps with Guru - Loungin but also US3, Gang Starr, UMC's. Great!
    Jan Johansson 2LP with some not so good and some great tracks, Cubano chant being my favourite so far. With Riedel and the usuals.
    Female Prisoner side 2 is 21 minutes of "For magnetic tape, based on the voice of Cathy Berberian and electronic sounds".
    Klaus Schönning is a norweigan private press, solo album with piano, synthesizers, organ, drummachine and weird sounds. As I'm an old House of Pain-fan I had to pick up the HOM for the b-side with Everlast & Xzibit; Shroomz pt II
    Aim with AG of course I could not leave behind, and neither the Ice Cube or US3 - Cantaloop. The Mayall from -73 is the only one by him that I've liked enough to keep so far. With Blue Mitchell on trumpet. Next to King Curtis is Positive K - I got a man.

New Kingdom is a spare, Batman is a reissue 12" that sounds like it was recorded straight from TV. Some more classic 12s I was happy to find, Morcheeba, Disposable heroes, ED OG...
    Also a manfred mann - chapter 3 swirly label for a euro. I had not heard this before and it's the find of the month for me. Incredible LP. Paul Desmond was a really nice creed taylor-produced bossa LP, one of my favourites. I was also a bit surprised to find the Devil McDoom 12". I had only heard the snippets but listening to the whole tracks now it is a lot better than I remembered. Great arrangements and drumprogramming. Also found me a copy in better condition of the George's Dilemma 7". Some more non-ps 12" were Erykah Badu, Gravediggaz, AZ.
    I also found a sleeveless copy of samla mammas manna - snorungarnas symfoni if anyone wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by mike sondek View Post
    I shouldn't grumble but just as I'm about to move from sunny Erdington to the rainy Northwest, I'm enrolled into the upper echelons of chazza society. .
    Consider it a going away present - I believe some of the "old ladies" are having a whip round for a card as well.

Quote Originally Posted by d7bohs View Post
    [Peechee expressed surprise in a recent finds thread about stuff from the post CD era ending up in Charities and about how a collection of finds was his 'soundtrack of the 90s'...... well this bunch felt weird; I've never actually owned any of these records before, but but I own or have owned records by all of these artists before - it's all pretty much what i would have been listening to when all this stuff came out, apart from Dead can Dance.

Furthermore, the rest of the collection included loads of records i knew well - was close to happening on a slightly off- fictionalised version of my own past...... (all in a local Oxfam - and not book priced either)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe M'geek View Post
    I've had that on occasion as well- got a load of royal trux albums and some stuff on too pure from a real 'old lady' chazza a while back.

It's definitely noteworthy, I guess cos its stuff some of us would have bought, and we can't imagine ourselves donating our records of the period...makes you wonder what's changed in that persons life so much. Like looking at your own record hoarding mortality or something!
    I love getting quality, later (post CD era) records out of charity shops, and do often wonder why or how they got there. I often think that perhaps some terrible disaster has beset the owner. And that haul is quality.

And something that will link all these quotes together; I once found 9 Deadly Venoms by Depthcharge in the same shop that Mike turned up the Gryphon stuff. Suprised, delighted - I should say so.

Should mention that I picked up a mixed bag of 40 45s this morning from a cold and windswept bootsale. Nothing too exciting, off the top of my head; Sam and Dave, 1910 Fruitgum, Status Quo on Pye, Percy Sledge, Rick James spin off, Jimmy Cliff, Shangri Las on Kama Sutra, Dave and Ansill Collins, The Blackbyrds, load of Motown, Minnie Ripperton, Al Green, Hollies, few 60s and 70s pop bits.
    Last edited by piglit'n'rolf; 01-03-2008 at 05:32 PM.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

Default recent buys [ highlights !! ]

Lots of these were 2 or 3 dollars in new york last week,i was on a limited budget i suppose [ not a cheap place to get to,or to stay in ] but i'm happy with what i brought back,i'll be back in november hopefully and a bit more sassy this time,i avoided big price psych records !! and instead came back with an odd assortment of jazz and pop stuff....brilliant city,people were really friendly and helpful and the records shops i checked out were all great-special mentions to academy [ both their branches that do vinyl ] and to jon at rockit scientist for being so damn nice and calling me ' flytipper ' on a sunday afternoon in the village...here goes -

some 7"s -

2 by fusioon [ farsa del buen vivir is a spare and recommended ! ] - the gentle folky psych of bill quick and the far out oddness of louise forestier,french candian i think.

johnny colon-mombo suzie,first edition-heed the call-spare and again recommended-folk funk with loud drums ! - devil's anvil-karkodan,pacheco-lazy flute...cool groover on fania,paul desmond-lady in cement and madrigal-time of the season..........well heavy zombies cover.

big un's..

soul searchers-killer gospel soul on musicor from a flea market in chelsea..time is winding up is incredible-will try for some soundclips tomorrow.
    fugs- on esp / sweetwater-debut album...psych jazz soul / chico hamilton - the master - got this cause it had atune on called ' i can hear the grass grow ' - thought it was going to be a soul jazz cover of the move track-alas it's not but it is a top record and little feat are playing on it too.

valerie simpson-exposed-nice soul set on motown - buffalo springfield again to replace my old reissue ! - velvet underground-acetate sessions..great to hear this at last-very different indeed to the debut album - ken munson-super flute-flute and many many breaks if thats your bag !

billy strange-de sade.wanted this for ages after i found the empty sleeve in a chazza - great record / pau riba -catalan folk psych - reminds me of gruff rhys a bit ! - a childs garden of grass - ace dialogue and top sleeve - follow me ost -another flea market find-dino,desi and billy turn in some gorgeous sunshine pop..another want off the list.

ramsey lewis-up pops..nice sitar on jade east / john mclaughlin-extrapoliation-argen's bag is a great bit of laid back modal jazz,another want bites the dust,herbie hancock-mwandishi and morton subotnick-sidewinder-two very challenging but cool records !!

phil ochs-pleasures of the harbour-amazing record / gentle giant-three friends-some nice moments on here,lalo schifrin-whole lotta-worth it for secret code,synth and sitar workout...wes montgomery-classy and mellow !

some groovy jazz cheapness...

herbie mann-beat goes on and open windows,john klemmer-intensity and cal tjader-several shades of jade...includes the fakir of my xmas mix c.d.

mortimer-another chelsea flea market punt-lovely hollies like psych pop / another bloody herbie mann album !! - bud shank - magical mystery-the jazz version of flying is pretty cool - you are what you eat ost..far out and pretty incredible record.

billy paul-going east-to replace my reissue [again ] davie allan-psyched up biker fuzz,blues project and sally eaton..it's for you towny

donovan,arnie lawrence and the children of all ages on embryo-free jazz with kiddies playing instruments while the old jazzers try and hold it together -loving this..george benson-blue benson / cashman,pistilli and west-bound to happen....soft folk pop a la simon and garfunkel..nice record.

beacon street union-eyes of / that great OBSESSION comp - only ten dollars for the double and i met the guy behind it too..from the horse's mouth so to speak !! - gato barbieri-third world on flying dutchman and the KPM is john renbourn..someone on here wants this i think.

thanks for checking out my post...there's more records but i'm bored now !
    this guy on the subway was laying down some awesome breakbeats while i waited for the downtown train :

academy in williamsburg in the snow:

the things we go through for a bit of cheap vinyl:

One of the many flea markets in chelsea last weekend:
    Last edited by Sie-Fly; 01-03-2008 at 06:46 PM.
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Wow ! Looks fantastic mate and that is what i call a finds post !

Looking forward to the Sally eaton some tasty vinyl morsels there ! The cover of that Forestier 45 is awesome
    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

[QUOTE=flytipper;216931]some 7"s -

2 by fusioon [ farsa del buen vivir is a spare and recommended ! ] - the gentle folky psych of bill quick and the far out oddness of louise forestier,french candian i think.

QUOTE]

Both Bill Quick and Louise Forestier are big faves around these parts. Found those in NYC? Nice!
    rick wakeman´s keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by TOWNY View Post

Looking forward to the Sally eaton some tasty vinyl morsels there ! The cover of that Forestier 45 is awesome
    Anyone that tells me New York is devoid of goodness is seriously off the rails..i brought back about 50 records...next time i'm going to UPS at least the same again home..if you're prepared to dig about and take some chances then you'll do well..i only had 5 days but i now know a few spots and in time i will return to them..my record budget for this trip was pretty tight but as i said i think i scored ok...just listening to that arnie lawrence now - it's disturbing,at the moment it sounds like dirty harry having a scrap with the boards of canada !!

see you soon neil
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Quote Originally Posted by wickerman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flytipper View Post
    some 7"s -

Both Bill Quick and Louise Forestier are big faves around these parts. Found those in NYC? Nice!
    forestier was a cheap punt [ not from NYC ] and the quick not so cheap ebay punt !!
    Last edited by Sie Vulture; 02-03-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: made the quote work
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Brilliant stuff.....
    What's great about record shopping in the States is not the rare stuff, so much as the sheer quantity of stuff you can find cheap that just never shows up in Europe; need to go again soon.....

And Pleasures of the Harbour is a fabulous record

wow!! awesome NY post there. looks like a great trip...

and Beatdeluxe -- 1 EUR for "chapter 3" - -thats fucking awesome - looks in better nick than my copy which definately didnt cost 1 EUR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TOWNY View Post

Yeah it's real good to see some decent finds.....nice one Sie mate.

You'll dig that Sally Eaton Towny mate.

fusioon - farsa del buen vivr :

http://download.yousendit.com/EF95F1DC7E0AEEF9

cheers joe
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

flytipper
    and they all look in great condition too
    can't wait til your next trades-list

Quote Originally Posted by pencilface View Post

and Beatdeluxe -- 1 EUR for "chapter 3" - -thats fucking awesome - looks in better nick than my copy which definately didnt cost 1 EUR!!!
    Yeah, I was supposed to buy this for 10 euro some years ago, but never heard from the guy again, so since then I've wondered what it sounded like. So this was a pleasant surprise

Quote Originally Posted by BeatsDeluxe View Post
    flytipper
    and they all look in great condition too
    can't wait til your next trades-list

as soon as i get the time i will get more trades up - and thanks for the records..they arrived yesterday
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Quote Originally Posted by pencilface View Post

Seconded...."chapter 3" is one of my favourite lp's.

Only two for me this week both from the charity shops.

Petula Clark - i couldn't live without your love
    Petal Clark - color my world

Both talked about on recently hence purchasing them.....yet to give them a proper listen.

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    Seconded...."chapter 3" is one of my favourite lp's.
    Yep, that's the kind of shit you want to be finding cheap ! I'm moving to Sweden (via the states)

more of NYC:

a loft sale in chelsea.lots of art and many records and some killer 60's furniture on offer too:

this chap played amazing grace on his flute at ground zero..which only added to the eerie atmosphere:

central park sunshine on the first day:

two days later...the sun seems to have gone in:
    Last edited by Sie-Fly; 01-03-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Stuff has been in pretty short supply in all my local chazzas but I did manage to pick up these 4 45s on JAM...

T.N.T. - Big Trouble...nice funky horny tune with instro B side..

Sylvester - Gimme Time...bluesy slide guitar with echoey vocal...nice

Denis King - Where Forever Begins...sounds like it should be the theme tune for a polite middle class sitcom starring Wendy Craig

Stephen Shane - I'm beginning to touch you..unremarkable sub Neil Diamond fare...

Also found the Smiths Crisps 'When it comes to the crunch' flexidisc by Cliff Adams which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by barky redwood View Post
    Stuff has been in pretty short supply in all my local chazzas but I did manage to pick up these 4 45s on JAM...

Sylvester - Gimme Time...bluesy slide guitar with echoey vocal...nice

Denis King - Where Forever Begins...sounds like it should be the theme tune for a polite middle class sitcom starring Wendy Craig

Stephen Shane - I'm beginning to touch you..unremarkable sub Neil Diamond fare...

Also found the Smiths Crisps 'When it comes to the crunch' flexidisc by Cliff Adams which is great.
    no frog ?
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Some nice finds from people this week...

i had the day off on Friday and was originally going to pop into Stockport town centre but after Antwhiplash reported that there was nothing of interest, i decided to try somewhere further afield. I remembered a charity shop a bit of a walk from my house (i cant drive so I'm a bit limited) which I've not visited for a while and figured it might be worth the walk. Half way there walking through the wind and rain i almost faulted and went back home but decided to plod on. I'm glad i did. Now, this particular charity is one of those "local" charities. Its for some animal sanctuary and when you get inside its just a big pile of stuff. No fancy racks, no printed price tags, no specially commissioned greetings cards no till, just an old dear with a pile of used carrier bags and a book to write down the sales. Anyway, there was a huge mountain of vinyl, must have been a couple of hundred, and from the first few flicks i got a good vibe. No 80s crap it was chock full of TOTP, Hammond Gold, Klaus Winderlicker, all the good shit that i like to buy. I had to search through fast as i only had 20 mins before the shop shut but i found the following, 60p at pop:

Come Together - Jimmy & Carol Owens ft Pat Boone I don't really like god bothering stuff as the constant talk of Jesus etc gets on my tits but i recognised this from somewhere... Turns out its because i already had it and if memory serves i got it from the same charity shop about a year ago. Most of it is rubbish but there are a few fleeting moments that make it worth while.

Granada Festival `71 Nowadays we have pop idol, x factor, Britain's got talent etc but back in 71 this was the nearest you got to a reality/talent show. 14 of the country's finest brass bands battle it out to win the coveted "Granada Cornet" and the chance to play on TV. If you like brass bands (as i for some odd reason do) this is quite nice, no funk but very relaxing.

Sometimes - Harry Roche Constellation
    If id been wearing a heart monitor it would have shown quite a peak when i spotted this. Ive never seen any HR LPs before and i begun to think i may find Spiral as well but sadly not. On first listen i was a bit disappointed (as with many VV recommended records I've built an internal hype that the record could never match) but on 2nd listen i appreciated this record for what it is. And that is just bloody good easy listening/lounge. The arrangements are very nice and its had more than one spin since i got it... chuffed

Golden Trumpet Hits - Heinz Schachtner Some nice parpy versions of Spanish eyes, Mucho Mucho and Wonderful world. A bit like a mix of James Last and Herb Alpert.

Lo Mejor Del Verano I cant help but pick up these foreign souvenir records whan i see them cheep. This one has a few up tempo Spanish songs, the obligatory Abba cover and a decent stab at TSOP and Loves theme. Another sleeve destined to feature on my "lovely ladies wall".

Discotheque vol 2 This is a mix of covers and originals by someone called "Ninety" according to the writing credit. No idea who he/she is but he/shewrote some nice funky/bluesy stuff. Top of the tree is "Space" a wonderfully odd sounding organ feature and "Seventh Meridian" which wouldn't sound out of place on a Stereo Gold Award Hammond LP. Good stuff.

The Big Sound Of - Chaquito A record that needs no introduction around these parts. Nice Latin tinged versions of popular tunes... already got 2 copies but cant seem to leave it when i see it...

Sorry for all the waffle but Ive not had such a good dig in quite some time. After several months of trudging around charities that either have no records at all or what they have is 70/80s rock and pop it was a breath of fresh air. Just goes to show that the cheesy listening is still out there so makes you wonder what happens to it all in the chain charities..... thrown in a skip? I know i didn't get anything mind blowing (apart from maybe the Harry Roche) but i had a lot of fun
    Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
    www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
    www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

no frog ?
    Well, I'll be checking that shop closely over the next few weeks as I reckon they've kept some from the same batch back...so you never know ...(actually, you do...no chance)

Quote Originally Posted by barky redwood View Post

Love this record

TONY JOE WHITE - Don't let the door hit you on the butt (US Warner Bros '74)

Picked this little beauty up today for 25p at Sellanby's closing down sale...(even the fixtures and fittings where up for sale...someone beat me to the beautiful enamel 70's Music For Pleasure sign which I had been coveting for ages a snip at 10 quid).

I can tell you quite simply that this is tony joe's funkiest moment ever!! Main riff is a close cousin of Ike and Tina's bold soul sister and is funkier than a plate of fried bananas.

Thought I'd heard all tony's best stuff but as this doesn't appear on any LP's it's easy to pass it by...

Anyone that tells me New York is devoid of goodness is seriously off the rails..i brought back about 50 records...next time i'm going to UPS at least the same again home..if you're prepared to dig about and take some chances then you'll do well..i only had 5 days but i now know a few spots and in time i will return to them..my record budget for this trip was pretty tight but as i said i think i scored ok
    How often does that happen?? you post up asking what diggings like in a city you've never been before and you get replies saying "it's crap" all the good stuff is too expensive bought up years ago etc..,etc

If you look hard enough you can turn up great records almost ANYWHERE in the world for cheap.

Anyone who says you can't is not digging hard enough!.

Top finds Sie

Quote Originally Posted by leebrady View Post
    How often does that happen?? you post up asking what diggings like in a city you've never been before and you get replies saying "it's crap" all the good stuff is too expensive bought up years ago etc..,etc

If you look hard enough you can turn up great records almost ANYWHERE in the world for cheap.

Top finds Sie
    NICE ONE LEE !!

Hope you are well mate...fuck the cynics and lets get digging - when you coming back ?
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Quote Originally Posted by IAN View Post
    TONY JOE WHITE - Don't let the door hit you on the butt (US Warner Bros '74)

Picked this little beauty up today for 25p at Sellanby's closing down sale...(even the fixtures and fittings where up for sale...someone beat me to the beautiful enamel 70's Music For Pleasure sign which I had been coveting for ages a snip at 10 quid).

I can tell you quite simply that this is tony joe's funkiest moment ever!! Main riff is a close cousin of Ike and Tina's bold soul sister and is funkier than a plate of fried bananas.

Thought I'd heard all tony's best stuff but as this doesn't appear on any LP's it's easy to pass it by...
    good tip off mate.........bet you're well gutted you missed the sign-i was looking forward to you posting that up !!
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Quote Originally Posted by leebrady View Post

Top finds Sie
    here eher