X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slim Jim
    Electric Banana
    • Aug 2005

Oooooh, me brain hurts - sounds like I should just do what I always do as regards shopping - wait until frustration is at boiling point and then just pick something and go home!!

It'll mainly be for web-browsing, email, loading up images and playing DVDs on boring journeys....which I guess means find one with a decent battery!??

Most people have advised Macs but most of that advice seems to be on aesthetic terms rather than any practical advantage. There's loads of techie nerds here at work who can overhaul it if it goes bananas....
    "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

• chimptown
      Ugly Custard
      • Jan 2008

if thats all its for then just get a cheap pc laptop.
      Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

• Electro_suze
        Electric Prunes
        • Oct 2007

Hang on Jim, what do you want to use it for? That's important. I've been looking at this myself recently, and its very difficult. If its music-related, macs are good, but obviously you cant get any cracked software, and macs have the nasty habit of just completely crashing from time to time with no warning...

You get can a really good purpose build PC for music, and it probably works out less in cost too.

I would go for PC for music, mac for film, but that's just me...

Comment

• john stapleton
          • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Electro_suze View Post
          macs are good, but obviously you cant get any cracked software
          really?
          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

• john stapleton
            • Jun 2002

macs have the nasty habit of just completely crashing from time to time with no warning...
            really?
            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

• pitch
              80s Moderator
              • Feb 2005

.....macs have the nasty habit of just completely crashing from time to time with no warning...
              nonsense!!!! PCs do that - I've used Macs for 15 years and they have always been more stable.

Having said that - in this case if cost is key and you have limited requirements, a PC will be fine.
              "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

• Sergio Paradise
                Electric Prunes
                • Aug 2004

Get a second hand / refurb Macbook. With the amount of mac users on here alone i'm sure you can get any questions answered.
                https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

• Mr_Hopkinson
                  Electric Prunes
                  • May 2003

From my experience computers can crash from time to time ( or glide by problemless for years ) whatever brand they are, it seems problems are usually, um, attributable to human error . . .

i.e. I reckon if you're using an unfamiliar system its more likely to "go wrong" and reaffirm what you're used to as "best" . . . but ultimately they are just machines in different boxes.

Broadly, I think one system really can now do everything the other does ( I tend to use a mac laptop for on-the-move internet browsing and a purpose built pc for high end video editing, for example ).

If you're starting from scratch, and going to be using one laptop for eveything, you've got to decide carefully what you plump for because to an extent you'll be tied to a particular way of doing things . . . If money's no problem then I think Theeman's advice is great to go with what friends and family use - obviously across the board more people use pcs ( presumably because they are cheaper ) so it can be an advantage to be at ease with them, but for creative use ( and it would seem across this board ) more people proportionally use macs ( presumably because they are cooler, whatever Brian May says ) and so it can be an advantage to know your way around them too . . .

The attractive look of macs extends to the easy to digest operating system so starting from scratch they are probably easier to "learn" but I presume you know how to use a computer already seeing as you're posting on an internet forum . . .

So yeah, go with what your mates have, so they can help you and you can help them . . .
                  Last edited by Mr_Hopkinson; 29-03-2008, 11:38 AM.
                  Laminated with Clarifoilâ„¢

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

• jakartajive
                    The Horseless Headman
                    • Sep 2005

What's a laptop?
                    To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• Sie-Fly
                      Lauging Gravy
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                      What's a laptop?
                      it's what a lap dancer wears to keep warm
                      Rockwell
                      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• jakartajive
                        The Horseless Headman
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by flytipper View Post
                        it's what a lap dancer wears to keep warm
                        Aw. Those Ukranians.
                        Bloody nippy in Lvov at this time of year.
                        To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Working...
                        X