Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excess Vinyl

Red face Excess Vinyl

Spent the weekend moving a load of records that are surplus to my current requirements (i think). This has finally made me realise that things have got out of hand and i need to stop accumulating vinyl at the rate i do. I did end up picking out 150 really interesting looking LP's from this lot that i need to have another listen too, along with the 200 or so that are kicking around my room waiting for the same Haven't even started on 45's

Please tell me that i'm not alone in having so much that i need to get rid of

(Look out for mucho trades in the near future I'd also love to to a massive freebie thing but don't have many mailers at the moment (what do you lot do regarding this ?))
    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Quote Originally Posted by TOWNY View Post
    Please tell me that i'm not alone in having so much that i need to get rid of
    I feel your pain mate! I'm in the same position.

You've seen my records - for people who haven't, I've got two (5 x 5) expedits - and I'd say I should be getting rid of half of them.

If I was being really ruthless it would be a lot more!

Where do they all come from?
    Last edited by Saint Jude; 06-04-2008 at 08:13 PM.
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

(Look out for mucho trades in the near future I'd also love to to a massive freebie thing but don't have many mailers at the moment (what do you lot do regarding this ?))
    I come and collect

Seriously though, I tend to recycle old and tatty ones rather than use new ones.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Wink You are not alone...

Hi Mate - you are definitely not alone...

I just moved to NY and hauled this lot over plus a few boxes of 12s and 7s - so several hundred unwanted LPs were dispersed around friends, hidden in attics, or returned to the charity shops they came from.

Of course in no time I've accumulated from local thrift stores almost as many as I chucked away before I left. Maybe the solution is a one-in-one-out policy...
    Attached Images Attached Images

all them are spare/ not needed? or have i read it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by eric-adams View Post
    all them are spare/ not needed? or have i read it wrong?
    No, you haven't read it wrong!
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

I reckon a massive VG+ record fair could be the order of the day, perhaps tied in with other like minded boards like Brownswood, Soul Strut and DJ History?

Those NY fairs with food and DJ's always look really good and I don't think anyone in the UK has done anything similar.

Mind you, I'd probably end up buying more than I sold!
    Last edited by Saint Jude; 06-04-2008 at 08:25 PM.

bloody hell!

well if theres any folk in there ill take it off your hands

i gave about 1000 records to charity over 2006 / 2007 mostly stuff i couldnt sell or boot sale though so nothing good heh

yup this happened to me too.. my frontroom became a hellhole of records and music equipment which is why i stopped digging because the compulsiveness and lack of space was deffo affecting my mental health .. i probbly had about 1500-2000 lps but i threw at least 300-400 lp turds and 100+ 45s in the skip (most the 45s were trashed and sleeveless soul some of it could have been good but teh hiss was too much),gave away all my prog/vv classics/drum break doubles etc and now i'm back to a manageable level with less chuff and my front room is actually pleasant to be in... i also cleared out my cupboad of junk and furniture i dont have room for(it took me a good while to get round to it mine) and i keep a lot of my 45s and less played lps in there now.. my problem is all the shitty stuff i keep just for sample..it's sad but some of the best stuff to sample is on records that are shit to listen to all the way through i also realized near 70% of my collection that i've kept is pretty much prog or folk and psych with prog leanings..now i know for sure there is no hope for me

towny you know you've got too many when the records you need to get rid of are about the size of all my records i've kept .. good luck !!
    Last edited by Snoop God; 06-04-2008 at 08:23 PM.

another otrick would be to always have a few piles of lps in your boot or summat townie.. then you could just offload loads of them when you go digging in exchange for one or 2 things you would actually want

I haven't got to that stage much as yet because i am still a newbie to this site and thus still colecting stuff like mad. i guess there will a point when i might reach that point of too much vinyl. However i have always been good at recycling stuff and weeding out the chaff from the wheat on a fairly regular basis. This happens about three times a year and it always pains me to do it but then lack of space is the major factor in doing it. I'm quite happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Jude View Post
    I reckon a massive VG+ record fair could be the order of the day.
    This idea has crossed my mind as well. I'd happily host a VV "swap-meet" in the back garden one summer saturday. Lay out your boxes on the lawn, mooch around, do a bit of a barbeque..... hmmm, anybody fancy that? A VV garden party!!

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Anything I haven't used or listened to for a year or so I usually give a quick needledrop and realize I don't need it. It's a nice feeling to clear out a few boxes of records, but then it's just a matter of weeks before they're replaced by new ones

You've seen my records - for people who haven't, I've got two (5 x 5) expedits - and I'd say I should be getting rid of half of them.

It's fookin ridiculous mate Trouble is i keep pulling the odd interesting thing and it blows me away ! taste changes what ?

Quote Originally Posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
    I come and collect

Seriously though, I tend to recycle old and tatty ones rather than use new ones.
    Me too but i've clean run out and as i'm not really buying much if anything mail order they aren't accumulating Looks like i'll have to spuff some money on new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by eric-adams View Post
    bloody hell!

well if theres any folk in there ill take it off your hands

i gave about 1000 records to charity over 2006 / 2007 mostly stuff i couldnt sell or boot sale though so nothing good heh
    I've already done the same Eric most of these are not shit that's my problem, there will be one mans treasure in there somewhere !

Quote Originally Posted by ricardosevere View Post
    Hi Mate - you are definitely not alone...

I just moved to NY and hauled this lot over plus a few boxes of 12s and 7s - so several hundred unwanted LPs were dispersed around friends, hidden in attics, or returned to the charity shops they came from.

Of course in no time I've accumulated from local thrift stores almost as many as I chucked away before I left. Maybe the solution is a one-in-one-out policy...
    Bloody hell Rich, into the Fire What you doing in NY mate ? hope you're good !

Quote Originally Posted by cancer scabies View Post
    another otrick would be to always have a few piles of lps in your boot or summat townie.. then you could just offload loads of them when you go digging in exchange for one or 2 things you would actually want
    Yep, good idea mate except i very rarely go to record shops - I'm gonna do a lot of selling at the booters this summer as well (rather than buying )

Save the funk rock goodness for me Towny!!!

I'll be down at some point over the summer to see the Leeds boys and, I'll help you shift them!

The way I get rid of records I don't need is let other vultures go through them... and then throw a trades list up and then throw the rest at a record shop that does a reasonable credit / beans deal.

Problem is the more I get rid of the more seem to arrive, one way or another....

Sometimes I wonder how hard it would be to go cold turkey and just listen to the records I have... Vinyl Junkie indeed. It's certainly a habit.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Yep, good idea mate except i very rarely go to record shops - I'm gonna do a lot of selling at the booters this summer as well (rather than buying )
    Why not take a few crates to flog at Byker Groove?

I know sales on the forum are discouraged, but I wouldn't have thought anyone would mind you selling anything at the Tanners

How long did it take to build up that much excess Towny?

Is none of it Ebayable?

I think i need to pop down to Leeds to do my bit and lighten the load again Towny mate.

I know sales on the forum are discouraged, but I wouldn't have thought anyone would mind you selling anything at the Tanners
    There was no objections when Boney did it last year altough we did get some strange looks from the regular tanners punters.

Thats what i had and now that i've moved i ain't got room to put them up which means ive now got records in every room apart from the kitchen and bathroom.

'fraid to say that just looking at the pics of records on shelves makes my mouth water
    I completely sympathise with your predicament. I'm always amazed how much space records can take up
    Although I've listened to everything I've got there are quite a few which have only had one listen
    Like everyone else I am sure that I could help make some space for you - post up a list
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by mike sondek View Post
    How long did it take to build up that much excess Towny?

Is none of it Ebayable?
    The remnants of 20 years and i've got rid of 1000's throughout that time too. I ebay some stuff but don't really have the time to list 100's of items at a time.

Good idea

I've already done the same Eric most of these are not shit that's my problem, there will be one mans treasure in there somewhere !
    I can assure everyone that these will definitely not be the usual shit that the rest of us return to charities.

BTW I need to take one of those Neil Ardley's of your hands mate.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatsDeluxe View Post
    Anything I haven't used or listened to for a year or so I usually give a quick needledrop and realize I don't need it
    I appreciate what you're saying here but I never quite understand this approach. I haven't listened to Yo! Bum Rush The Show or Revolver for years and years but they are still classics and there is no way I would get rid of them cos I will never tire of them....I just don't feel the need to listen to them every few months to justify their inclusion in my collection. This applies to hundreds, if not thousands of my records.
    Last edited by Campag Record; 06-04-2008 at 11:22 PM.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

I cant say I understand your predicament. I haven't got anywhere near enough in the way of records. SO jealous of you right now Neil...

don't have many mailers at the moment (what do you lot do regarding this ?))
    I get my mates to chuck their old ones in my direction, which would otherwise just go in the recycling bin. It's recycling in its purest sense.

Alternatively, just start buying tons of records off ebay again...

It is kind of scary when you amass large piles of "to be listened to, at some point in the future" piles and realising that you're never going to have enough hours in the day. After booting, if I buy 20 or so records, I usually needle skip and decide which ones I am REALLY likely to listen to at some point in the future - get rid of 15, ebay 1, listen to 2 and 2 go in the "to be listened to..." pile and very rarely are. That's why it's pretty much 45s all the way for me. Three minutes - job done!