• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackRegent
    Ugly Custard
    • Jan 2007

Weekend Finds - 9/10 August 2008

Two interesting bits for me this morning when I went for a quick dig in the charities.

First is The Ecstasy of Rita Joe
    Canadian press on Jabula Records. Released in 1980 but the music relates to a ballet production which ran from the late 60s to early 70s. I can only describe it as a psychedelic folk concept opera, which spoken word interludes setting out the story, including a hoary old man for added creepy effect. Not outstanding, but certainly a good listen.

Next is an exploito "caribbean" music comp on Allegro. Bought it principally for the cover of Walking the Dog (described as Blue Beat ) which is fairly close to the original save for the slightly out of tune vocals. Has some other straight ahead calypso and steel drum tracks. Pleasant, but I was thinking this was fairly standard stuff until the last track West Indian Drums. Its nothing of the sort. In fact its a bit of a monster which starts with a hypnotic jazzy groove with congas crashing over the top. Then breaks down into 6/8 and returns for some more 4/4 frantic conga and bass action. Definitely the best new found track for me in a long time
    ...if in doubt consult your dealer.
  • mr sayers
    Chocolate Rain
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by BlackRegent View Post
    Two interesting bits for me this morning when I went for a quick dig in the charities.

First is The Ecstasy of Rita Joe
    Canadian press on Jabula Records. Released in 1980 but the music relates to a ballet production which ran from the late 60s to early 70s. I can only describe it as a psychedelic folk concept opera, which spoken word interludes setting out the story, including a hoary old man for added creepy effect. Not outstanding, but certainly a good listen.

Next is an exploito "caribbean" music comp on Allegro. Bought it principally for the cover of Walking the Dog (described as Blue Beat ) which is fairly close to the original save for the slightly out of tune vocals. Has some other straight ahead calypso and steel drum tracks. Pleasant, but I was thinking this was fairly standard stuff until the last track West Indian Drums. Its nothing of the sort. In fact its a bit of a monster which starts with a hypnotic jazzy groove with congas crashing over the top. Then breaks down into 6/8 and returns for some more 4/4 frantic conga and bass action. Definitely the best new found track for me in a long time
    Good finds mate.

It's alway nice to find a copy of Russ Henderson as "west Indian drums" kills it.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Joe M'geek
      Lonely Jelly
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by BlackRegent View Post
      fairly standard stuff until the last track West Indian Drums. Its nothing of the sort. In fact its a bit of a monster which starts with a hypnotic jazzy groove with congas crashing over the top. Then breaks down into 6/8 and returns for some more 4/4 frantic conga and bass action. Definitely the best new found track for me in a long time
      I'd planned this post in my head as being- "cool! I've had this for years and never cottoned onto that track, but I just span it, and agree, it's terrific"- but sadly I can't find it here in the mountains
      "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

• eclipsechaser
        Lonely Jelly
        • Jul 2003

been a while since I've had time to do a finds be here goes :

getz - au go go - real nice selection of his usual stuff but a bit too crackely to enjoy.
        jimmy smith - organ grinder swing
        barbarella - reish with lovely red vinyl
        pat - thomas - desafinado - lovely latin stuff arranged by lalo schifrin

billy byers big band - take the duke train - needle dopped so far and seems to be straight ahead jazz stuff
        zoot soms - down home -- really feelin this one.
        sergio mendes - fool on the hill - lovely
        colosseum - valentyne suite - couldnt resist at the very cheap price and in ex condition. probably spare

bobby gentry - the delta sweete
        disco drums - 24 non stop disco hits -- playin this one now. The normal selection of disco faves but with "extra drums!". Really enjoying this especially as it was 50p and record kings has it for 37 euros on cdandlp.com
        Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

• mr sayers
          Chocolate Rain
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
          disco drums - 24 non stop disco hits -- playin this one now. The normal selection of disco faves but with "extra drums!". Really enjoying this especially as it was 50p and record kings has it for 37 euros on cdandlp.com

So no surprise there!!!!

is ill sick breaks/off the hook...etc?

Comment

• Viva Chiba
            Lonely Jelly
            • Feb 2003

?!

I had a nice day out strolling through the Cotham and Glos road drizzle

Really pleased with a coupla interesting finds. . pix / full lowdown later.

Then I got home to find I've sold about £60 of ebay gear and can actually pay for this, and the other loungey bits I scored

Relieved to learn that my "rare" Diana Ross Jap Quad pressing is worth £27.00. . .heheh. . .

Comment

• john stapleton
              • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Viva Chiba View Post
              I had a nice day out strolling through the Cotham and Glos road drizzle
              Dropped some stuff off at Oxfam on Cotham Hill, then bumped into Prof on Gloucester Road... our paths must have crossed!

Didn't bother looking in the charities, picked up a decent 45 in Plastic Wax - a copy of 'Last Minute' by the Nashville Teens.
              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

• Viva Chiba
                Lonely Jelly
                • Feb 2003

?!

They did!

I walked across from Cotham, then ran into Prof. . finished digging, and was drinking in a pub on Glos Road, only to emerge as you and female companion were walking up the hill. . .

Really fucking chuffed this week TBH, it's been really good - 3 nice finds.

Think I may have out Proffed Prof too this week

And bought a lot of interesting lounge chuff, as usual

Comment

• john stapleton
                  • Jun 2002

picked these EPs up the other day - not sure what's a keeper yet...

I think the Muddy Waters on Vogue's staying though!

Blind Blake 10" lp, and Rambling Jack Elliott 8"!

and this interesting curio (with a slightly tatty sleeve, unfortunately...)

Screaming Lord Sutch's backing band go surf!
                  Last edited by john stapleton; 10-08-2008, 12:40 AM.
                  We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

• modernism
                    Animated Egg
                    • Oct 2007

John, where do you FIND this stuff?!?

Comment

• daves music tank
                      IP Thief - Banned
                      • May 2007

A few charity shop finds from Saturday , all albums -

Various - Spirit of Rock,The Probe Family Sampler (MFP)
                      Mantronix - In Full Effect (10 Records)
                      Bob Rogers - Sounds (Chapter One
                      )
                      The Rogers one was mostly crap excect for this groovy number "Seven Kings"
                      Listen here -

For a quid it;s not bad.

In the post from Craig Alan Haven "Haven For Sale" - really nice. Thanks mate.
                      Last edited by daves music tank; 10-08-2008, 05:20 AM.

Comment

• daves music tank
                        IP Thief - Banned
                        • May 2007

From the Sunday Boot fair this morning grabbed a bunch of cheap (half price or less) Jazzman 45s and some othe rbits ands piceces.

The Barbara Moore Sound - Hot Heels / Roger Webb Sound - Grey Sigh (Jazzman)
                        Har-You Percussion Group -Wlcome To The Part (Jazzman)
                        Manny Corchado - Pow Wow (Jazzman)
                        Della Reese - It Was A Very Good Year (Jazzman)
                        Esther Williams - Last Night Changed It All (Jazzman)

Hi Tension - Hi Tension (Island)
                        Hi Tension - British Hustle (Island 12")

One Way feat. Al Hudson - s/t (MCA)
                        Sam Cooke - This Is.. (RCA)

Stan Butcher,His Birds and Brass (CBS)
                        Cameo - Secret Omen (Casablanca)
                        Jr. Walker and The All Stars - Greatest Hits (Motown)
                        Best of The Moments (All Platinum)
                        Sarah Vaughan - Songs Of the beatles (Atlantic)
                        Janis Ian - For All The Seasons Of your Mind (Verve Forecast 1967)

These were a quid each.

Big Youth - Dread Locks dread (Front Line)
                        Pink Floyd - Ummagumma (Harvest)
                        Zbigniew Namysllowski Quintet - Kujaviak Goes Funky (Muza)

These were £3 each.The Muza LP is a spare!

Comment

• mr sayers
                          Chocolate Rain
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by davesmusictank View Post

In the post from Craig Alan Haven "Haven For Sale" - really nice. Thanks mate.

Your welcome just pleased it went to a good home....enjoy!

Comment

• Joe M'geek
                            Lonely Jelly
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
                            picked these EPs up the other day - not sure what's a keeper yet...
                            BAN REQUEST!

Amazing finds again dude...is the Savages ep produced by Meek? Always been curious about this one- cos judging from the Sutchy singles, they were one helluva band!
                            "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

• BlackRegent
                              Ugly Custard
                              • Jan 2007

Stapleton strikes again!

Your ability to procure the gold earns my green-tinged respect!

Do you have an army of urchins rooting through people's garages and attics, Fagin style?
                              ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Comment

Working...
                              X