Thread: chicago - what's hot and what's not?

Default chicago - what's hot and what's not?

you often see these Lps in chazzers and bargain bins. not sure if there's been a discussion of them here or on the old VV site already so apologies if I'm repeating things.....

I have 'Street player' (great track) and an early 'greatest hits', most of which is good, plus another double LP simply entitled 'chicago' from 1970. The latter has a couple of 'suites ' la Blood sweat and tears but most of it is toss!

got me a-wonderin', what else of theirs is worth tracking down? (instinct and limited experience tells me that post mid-70s output is best avoided....)
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Quote Originally Posted by eclectiktronik View Post
    you often see these Lps in chazzers and bargain bins. not sure if there's been a discussion of them here or on the old VV site already so apologies if I'm repeating things.....

I have 'Street player' (great track) and an early 'greatest hits', most of which is good, plus another double LP simply entitled 'chicago' from 1970. The latter has a couple of 'suites ' la Blood sweat and tears but most of it is toss!

got me a-wonderin', what else of theirs is worth tracking down? (instinct and limited experience tells me that post mid-70s output is best avoided....)
    first lp from 1969 i think. "transit authority".
    couple of good funky rock tracks like "i'm a man" or "listen"...a double lp as well.
    think their first three/four albums all have some good moments.
    "i'm a man" and "listen" both available on 45s to

Ive only got the first two and I'd strongly recommend you pick them up especially the first one.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    Ive only got the first two and I'd strongly recommend you pick them up especially the first one.
    I'd say the first 3 are worthy - '25 or 6 to 4', 'Beginings', 'Happy 'cause I'm Going Home', 'I'm a Man' etc - always cheap too
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    I'd say the first 3 are worthy - '25 or 6 to 4', 'Beginings', 'Happy 'cause I'm Going Home', 'I'm a Man' etc - always cheap too
    Always mean to pick the third one up, but all the cheap copies Ive come across have been knackered!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Once Terry Kath died in 1978 the group were never the same. The records up to then vary from outstanding to interesting and mostly worth a cheap punt.

The debut, CTA is amazing. Great song after great song.

II + III. Almost as good. Personally I love the suites!

V. First single LP. Has Saturday In The Park, Dialogue and A Hit By Varese. Tight record.

VI. Bring in outside musicians. More varied.

VII. Back to double wax. The jazz album. Sprawling. I've Been Searching So Long!

VIII. Start of the decline. Back to a streamlined sound and running out of ideas. Old Days is good.

X. Bit better than VIII. Has If You Leave You Now and is very slick but mostly doesn't do it for me.

XI. Last for the original line up. Little One is devastatingly good. More enjoyable than the previous two.

IV is Live At Carnegie Hall. Very self-indulgent but I like it a lot.
    IX is their first Greatest Hits. A classic example of how to do a Greatest Hits album.

There's a CD box set out there called Group Portrait which goes up to 1980. Extremely well sequenced and good booklet. Turns up cheap occasionally and a great one stop shop.

I've always had a problem with the lead-singer's voice - really grates on me. The very early (1970?) light-blue double album has some good stuff on it though - I like those suites too...seem to remember some very breathy/noisy but good flute playing in there somewhere.

Just picked up a Chicago 45 with the rather splendid 'Now you are gone' and 'Dialogue Part 1 & 2' from 1972..... definitely both recommended!

I have spares of 'I'm a man' and '25 or 6 to 1'. I will eventually get round to sorting out a trade list, but if anyone needs these in the meantime, PM me.

Both utter stormers, by the way.
    "Jumping cues and making haste just ain't my cup of meat"

www.alexd.co.uk

Only the debut for me. I think that it's one of the best releases that year. You just can't beat 25 or 6 to 4, marvellous. IMO they went downhill fast. In a similar style - guitars and brass not just "horn rock" is Chelsea Beige "Mama Mama Let Your Sweet Bird Sing" from '71. Well worth a visit.

s t r e e t p l a y e r

I have the their first eighteen LP's plus various live/compilations.

The first six or seven are my preferred choice of listening these days.

I found 'Feelin' Stronger Every Day' on 45 recently and enjoyed it. That's on album VI (1973)