Clear All
  • Paul-K
    aka Eric Adams
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
    Billie (piper).
    Becuase we want to.

Perfection.

actually her song day and night is pretty good, when i first heard that i thought everyone else doing pop songs should just stop
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

• kestrel blazer
      Electric Prunes
      • Feb 2008

The use of 'S.O.S.' by ABBA in the film 'Together', where they are all playing football in the snow is just perfect.

Comment

• SARGE
        Lonely Jelly
        • Dec 2004

ketamine is the new pop
        i've watched muriels wedding about 50 times
        the capitol of nebraska is lincoln
        tonight i will have a joint.
        end of
        MODZ
        Hero No.9
        Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
        THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

• pitch
          80s Moderator
          • Feb 2005

I didn't really listen to pop music until I was 14-15. No-one played it at home, and I don't recall experiencing it anywhere else (certainly no recollection) - except perhaps a bit of 'muzak' in shops..... I was totally into classical music until then.

I can't remember any bands, pop or otherwise, through the 70s, except the Wombles. In 1982 I discovered girls. This changed what the world was all about, and although classical music did define some of the higher 'romantic' emotions, it was pop that plucked the heart strings and seemed to make sense of a whole range of new feelings.
          "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

• babycart
            Baldhead Growler
            • Sep 2004

You used to be able to go to any phone box in the UK, dial a number and hear a pop hit for free. This service only applied to pop songs, the time and the Test Match scores.

If you were a punctual pre-teenage fan of Stevie Wonder and the MCC, it was very heaven.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• emperor tomato ketchup
              Chocolate Rain
              • May 2003

Noel Coward "Extraordinary how potent cheap music is"
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

• Ian Townsend
                Great Depths
                • Feb 2005

Disco 45.

Early 70's pop paper. Loved it. Had all the words to the very latest pop hits in it.

I found some copies at a boot last year.

When I was in the first year of secondary school a teacher allowed us into the form room on a Tuesday to hear the latest chart run-down.

I've still got the A4 books with the charts meticulously written in....

Agree with Beddoes.... there are perfect moments when a pop song appears and just seems so 'right.'
                <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

• jakartajive
                  The Horseless Headman
                  • Sep 2005

I was on the tube coming home yesterday wth my iPod on, as you do, and Icicle Star Tree by Asylum Choir was followed by Blue-Green Eyes by The Sundownders. These have been two of my very favourite songs this last year or so, and - despite the day-glo neon trimmings and backwards touches, the scatter of lysergic dust and the period piece kitchen sink productions, both have incredible harmonies, killer hooks and choruses that make you want to sing along.

This is - and always has been - very important to me.

Growing up in the 70s, the ghosts of The Beatles loomed large, as my did my father's weird taste (lots of classical and Philip Glass, but also Abba, Simon and Garfunkel and ELO) and the fact we had Radio Two on in the house every morning as I got ready for school. From as soon as I can remember being aware of music in any kind of personal sense, pop - and more particularly SuperPop in the Nik Cohn sense of the word - penetrated my brain. I grew up with Blondie and Dexy's and The Jam and The Specials all getting top five hits on a regular basis.

Despite then spending most of the 80s listening to obscure 60s garage and R'n'B, I still retained a love of songs and choruses and bridges and craft and it's the same now with psych. I never really go too far into the 12-minute extreme noise end of things and, whilst I like jazz, I like it to have something apporaching a recognisable melody at least somewhere within it.

My poorly thought-out theory is something to do with pop being essentially populist as well as popular and thus loved by the masses because its immediate, direct, honest, memorable and sticks in the mind like a knife. Now, pop can also be trippy or clever or angry or articulate or just plain idiot dumb on top of that, but it has to be widely accessible. I've always loved the way, for example, football crowds are so quick to take contemporary pop songs and turn them into terrace chants and I still have fond memories of the mid-90s when, on returning from Indonesia, it was not uncommon for me to see paralytic groups of people standing on London street corners, their arms round each other, singing 'Wonderwall'. Pop faciliates this stupid, glorious coming together in a way that industrial noise terrorism never will.

Given this, I reman to this day slightly suspicious of people who rail against pop and who prefer the abstract and awkward over the hook-laden. I suspect that deep down, it's a form of emotional expression revealing the fact they are socially lacking and basically misanthropic.

Me? I dig everything.
                  Oh yes.

Now I'm off to give September Girls and Shake Some Action a rinse.
                  To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• BoneyVotel
                    Lonely Jelly
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by beddoes View Post
                    Of all the major record forums I've found this is the one that understands pop best, I think.
                    Gotta be Tizer for me, run a close second my American Cream Soda from the van that used to deliver.

Good pop is great, Motown for instance - The Four Tops - awesome pop
                    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

• Headless mermaid
                      Chocolate Rain
                      • Mar 2005

LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

• Old School Tramp
                        Electric Prunes
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by SARGE View Post
                        ketamine is the new pop
                        i've watched muriels wedding about 50 times
                        the capitol of nebraska is lincoln
                        tonight i will have a joint.
                        end of
                        Smack is the Nu Rave
                        I've watched the Rise & Fall Of Reginald Perrin twice
                        The Capitol of Faroe Islands Is Tórshavn
                        Tonight I will milk myself
                        end of
                        .... ..- -. - . .-. ... / -... .. .-.. - --- -. --. / --. ..- .- .-. .- -. - . . -.. / ..-. .-. . ... .... -. . ... ... .-.-.-

Comment

• medlar
                          Chocolate Rain
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Old School Tramp View Post
                          Smack is the Nu Rave
                          I've watched the Rise & Fall Of Reginald Perrin twice
                          The Capitol of Faroe Islands Is Tórshavn
                          Tonight I will milk myself
                          end of
                          Hopefully it's not pink anymore
                          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• kenneth
                            Electric Prunes
                            • Aug 2006

I grew up with pop and also my mum.
                            I love ELO

Comment

• Monobrow
                              Electric Prunes
                              • Apr 2006

I like what I tend to call subversive pop' - great melodies but a bit wierd - would put 8 Miles high in this category, most stuff by the Beach Boys 1968-1975, Beta Band, Super Furry Animals...
                              www.soundcloud.com/stroud-calling

Comment

Working...
                              X