• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beddoes
    Lonely Jelly
    • Dec 2005

pop

Of all the major record forums I've found this is the one that understands pop best, I think.

Does anybody else out there feel that, curiously -despite your great love of so many different and more rarefied musics-, many of your most transcendent experiences of music transpired while listening to pop?

"Dancing Queen" through distant speakers when I rode a ferry to Alaska in 1988. It would have been amazing but not -somehow- as memorable or moving if I'd heard something less mainstream. It felt like discovering a seam of gold in the sidewalk.
    Last edited by beddoes; 16-01-2009, 12:42 AM.
    http://hidingplaceplace.com/
  • beddoes
    Lonely Jelly
    • Dec 2005

Or, I heard "Superstar" at the Portland airport after Sonia, my girlfriend of four years, left me. Devastating. I made a mess of myself.

Comment

• beddoes
      Lonely Jelly
      • Dec 2005

I guess I want an explanation.

Comment

• ginghamkitchen
        Cliff Pilchard
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by beddoes View Post
        Of all the major record forums out there this is the one that understands pop best, I think.

Does anybody else out there feel that, curiously -despite your great love of so many different and more rarefied musics-, many of your most transcendent experiences of music transpired while listening to pop?

"Dancing Queen" through distant speakers when I rode a ferry to Alaska in 1988. It would have been amazing but not -somehow- as memorable or moving if I'd heard something less mainstream. It felt like discovering a seam of gold in the sidewalk.
        Definitely - the best pop ('Dancing Queen', 'Be My Baby', The Shangri-Las) is like a shot of pure exhilaration for me - no matter how knowing or engineered it might be, there's something about three minutes of simple, songwriting genius and production that gets to me every time, often made all the more exciting by hearing it in odd contexts where you don't expect to hear good music - shops, weddings, taxis, etc. The really great stuff taps into your emotions as well as your central nervous system - one of the most evocative commercial art forms there is, I think.

Sometimes I think 'thats it, I'm just listening to jazz and classical from now on' then I start thinking about Smokey Robinson and think 'not just yet'...
        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• ginghamkitchen
          Cliff Pilchard
          • Aug 2005

I guess I want an explanation.
          Oh, I can't explain it. It's either made by people more sensitive and emotional than me or more manipulative and knowing - maybe both - but I can't express myself like that - I can't even feel like that unless prompted...
          Last edited by ginghamkitchen; 16-01-2009, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• beddoes
            Lonely Jelly
            • Dec 2005

Now that I think about it, I guess I'm also talking about one's DISCOVERY of pop. I was nineteen on that ferry to Alaska and listened mostly to industrial music, Beefheart and Nuggets/Pebbles stuff. "Dancing Queen" took me by surprise. For a few hours I felt weird. Am I gay?

Comment

• Col Wolfe
              Billy Ocean
              • Sep 2003

ringtones are the new pop in the UK, Mark
              new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

• beddoes
                Lonely Jelly
                • Dec 2005

my girlfriend hates my ringtone, hook me up

Comment

• ginghamkitchen
                  Cliff Pilchard
                  • Aug 2005

Now that I think about it, I guess I'm also talking about one's DISCOVERY of pop. I was nineteen on that ferry to Alaska and listened mostly to industrial music, Beefheart and Nuggets/Pebbles stuff. "Dancing Queen" took me by surprise. For a few hours I felt weird. Am I gay?
                  Everybody's gay when it comes to pop, except the dead and those that have to pretend all the time.

Comment

• john stapleton
                    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                    Everybody's gay when it comes to pop, except the dead and those that have to pretend all the time.
                    You forgot the old and jaded....
                    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

• ginghamkitchen
                      Cliff Pilchard
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
                      You forgot the old and jaded....
                      I hope I'm never old and jaded to the extent that I can't marvel at a piece of perfectly constructed pop music and get a little emotional buzz from hearing it - but then I'm a bit of a soft touch, so maybe I'm more receptive to it.

Comment

• Striker
                        Electric Banana
                        • Oct 2004

when it's done right pop's a formula that's been honed to push your emotional buttons, you can try to deny it but you can't hold out forever.

Comment

• beddoes
                          Lonely Jelly
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Striker View Post
                          when it's done right pop's a formula that's been honed to push your emotional buttons, you can try to deny it but you can't hold out forever.
                          And why should you? We --most of us- enthusiastically embrace OTHER drugs.

Comment

• jakartajive
                            The Horseless Headman
                            • Sep 2005

Billie (piper).
                            Becuase we want to.

Perfection.
                            To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• Expiry2011
                              He's going, going... gone.
                              • Mar 2008

For me its a question of context
                              When I was getting into music in the 80s I soon stopped listening to pop and tried more 'grown up' music
                              But somehow I still know all the word to the music on the radio
                              When I hear Slave to the Rhythm or Relax or Don't you Want Me it takes me back and as I'm older I can appreciate the music better rather than just the pleasure of listening
                              I'm always picking up 80s 12s in chazzas
                              But nowadays pop hardly registers with me unless the Mrs gets on it
                              "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Working...
                              X