Thread: Desiderata - Behold we give you the morning (Theme sound recording co. / 1969[?])

Default Desiderata - Behold we give you the morning (Theme sound recording co. / 1969[?])

Desiderata - Behold we give you the morning
    (Theme sound recording co. / 1969[?])

This is a lovely folk LP I was chuffed to discover in a local opshop the week before Easter. The internets reveal not much at all. Apparently it was released in 1969, and recorded in Collingwood, Victoria.

It bears a strong Bert Jansch influence to my (rather untrained) ears. There's a touch of the Pentangle about them, though lacking much of the jazzier aspects of their records (and lacking a drummer entirely). From what I can gather main vocalist Gordon McIntyre was a peer of Bert Jansch before moving to Australia, so the comparison is fairly apt. He shares the vocals and guitar duties with Andrea Calder and George Black. Peter Howell is the 'bass extrodanaire' (sic).

All the songs are covers with the majority being traditional. There are also a couple of Tom Paxton songs (including the title track).

The recording is pretty rough and ready although it's clear and quiet enough not to interfere with the music - I can only assume the record was a self-financed/private affair possibly sold at gigs. There are a couple of other shots from the cover photo session here and here.

I won't bore you with descriptions or reviews of the songs rather here are my three favourite songs:
    Nortaman Town
    Jack Orion
    Park Attendant

Overall a really nice piece of the Australian folk music puzzle. Hope you enjoy the songs!
    Jamie

Nice hardcore folk that. Enjoyed. Thanks for posting up
    -
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
    but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

I would like to get a recording or a copy of this.

Please?