Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: New 'Plussers Introduce Yourself..!

Hello, my name is Simeon. I am not a crack head, or a seamonster, and, what’s worse, I quite enjoy my job.

I buy a whole lot of records for cheap and most of them are crap. But my tastes range from country rock to hip hop, so in any batch there is usually something to like. I am pretty hopeless at assimilating information on what records other people have found, so I just keep on digging in my own oblivious way.

I don’t have any s but I do have a backlog of trades to sort out.
    It ain't shakey

Right, me names Gareth, 35 years of age. A printer by trade who is regularly skint as a bastard. I suffer from occasional bouts of lethargy, chronic back ache and smokers cough. Truly i am blessed 'cos i'm happily married with lovely kids, thus the joys of a simple, quiet life always seem to elude me. I love art, reading, watching films, bycicles, people, toys that make weird noises, extreme weather conditions as well as many differing kinds of music and try to combine this with explorations of boot sales and/or record/charity shops in the hope of a 'few' bargains. I wanna actually make some music, so that's me next move, to write/produce/engineer my own stuff. Having done a Diploma course in audio engineering/production over four years ago, it's actually taken me this long to save up the sodding readies to pay for the recording gear. I like this site and post here from time to time when i can, the folk are on the whole most gracious and approachable and have traded rekkids with some fine and righteous dudes. The information is exshaustive and infomative. I like to try and contribute to a healthy debate and spin a few old yarns from time to time and mainly to just have a fookin' laugh and be meself, which is what life's all about really innit?. To enjoy and spread good vibes when the occasion requires, and to sink large quantities of alchohol. I'm gonna make it a goal this year to get to at least one Brillo night to see what the fuss is all about. A big thanks goes oot to Chris and Sie for their help and stuff over the last couple of years, also everyone else who i forgot to say thanks or indeed hello to, you know who you are! (i appologise i got a heed like a fookin' sieve&#33, youse lot make the world a shade brighter.
    derelicts of dialect

Hi, i'm Jack and i have been a bit of a lurker here this year. I'm 21 and have just made the leap from bummer student to the real world, no job yet, thats for after Glastonbury . London is my home town, but I 'stay' in Brighton, I have amassed quite a few records in various 'VV' genres over the 8 odd years i have been collecting. As one of the 'younger' generation I want to try and keep the music and the scene alive by boring friends with jazz and soundtracks when (if) they come over and playing out every now and again. I don't normally think i have much to offer as the knowledge on this board seems akin to the Jedi council, but i will pipe in if i can. I came to one Brillo meet (second one i think) and really enjoyed it, hopefully i can make it back to some more, slackness is not an excuse!!
    working together for better bass and treble

Well, you might’ve guessed from my massively unimaginative handle what my name is, and as for age can I just say ‘old enough to know better…but not yet old enough for knowing better to make much difference’? That's third oldest to have posted so far after Rich Hero (who at 100 is well in front) and ladyboygrimsby. OK, 39, then. I work freelance (writing, teaching, editing reports) from home, hence unrestricted access to one of the greatest of all work-avoidance tools – this forum. My office water cooler and excuse for skiving all in one handy place on the desk.

Found VV about a year and a half ago, looking for information on a couple of budget moog LPs I'd found, started reading The Mysterious Dr F’s columns and the write ups of rubbish Tony Hatch LPs while regularly snorting coffee through my nostrils and got hooked. Started posting in January last year, and as my total shows, I haven’t allowed my utter lack of knowledge on anything much, or a record collection which sticks in the low hundreds, keep me from contributing.

Live with a fantastically understanding woman, two cats, and interests outside music include art, film, books (of which I've written two, published one, and am working on others, but only in fits & starts so far), weird performance art stuff, cooking, allotments (a recent addition, since taking one on about a month ago), and - since finding them in a huge box complete with slide projector at a bootsale a couple of weeks ago - the entire lives of whoever took the many hundreds of slides showing caravan holidays in 1974, trips to Le Mans in 1968 and various weddings, funerals and impressive feats of gardening 1964 - 1978.

New folks be encouraged – I’ve not been booted out for talking crap yet…and besides, the beauty of this forum is that if you don’t know the answer, a smart-arsed remark or digression into a debate about different cheeses, or DIY, will do just as well…

As for music, I kind of like it. Especially skewed easy listening, Morricone type OST business, lots of psych/sunshine/go-go stuff, exotica, funk, soul, twang, Johnny Cash and Frank Sinatra, folk, Bollywood, Brazilian…you name it (though oddly, not too much hip-hop or beat stuff, come to think of it). Also, along with Bongolia, I’m probably one of the few people here to actually like Hawaiian LPs that aren’t remotely funky. And Helmut Zacharias.

I am also in that tiny minority who doesn't DJ. Ever. Though I did once get persuaded to fill in for a singer with laryngitis in a friend's band, and managed (with heavy lubrication) to get through 50 minutes in a pub backroom somewhere in Wales by using a vocal technique that could flatteringly be described as 'unique', possibly 'outsider-ish'. Never again.
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

my names andy and my wife thinks i'm an alchoholic.
    (pass the bisongrass)

well I be rolex, I'm in Australia - one of five antipodean vultures.. 28 years young

Like most of you I'm into the funk, the soul, the jazz, hip hop, beats and also, perhaps more unusually, reggae and dub.

In the real world I've had the pleasure of sharing a beer or two fellow anitpodeadeans Formigo and Dj Sheep, and John Stapleton when he came on tour down here, and I once had pizza with the e-man Ed in Angel Islington - good stuff, good people. I'd like to shout out Benico too as he sent me a sterling selection of tunes in last years swap - I still play it every other week & bug on out.

Never heard of lots of the records discussed on here, just chip in when I've got something to add - got a lot of respect for some of the posters & frequently recall discussions up here when it comes to purchasing.

I'm hoping to submit a chart one day ..

Not much more to it really - I've dabbled in some writing before but so chaotic is life I find sourcing the time difficult, so thats on the backburner for now. Excuse the egotism, I'm not too bad with a camera so I work the angles on that a bit ore when the opportunities arrive.

I'm a batchelor & have my own batchelor pad, complete with woolen shagpile & hundreds of records.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (DOKO*ENO @ June 23 2004,04:24)]my names andy and my wife thinks i'm an alchoholic.
    (pass the bisongrass)
    My friend Vern is in a similar situation, although it's his mates who are telling him he's a pisshead.

His retort is "I am not an alcoholic, I am a binge drinker"

Perhaps that would work with the Missus?

I think the message from this thread is that the water is lovely come on in.

All people who have registered but not posted - you have dipped your toe in the water, now dive in and do a couple of laps.

We don't mind if you prefer the backstroke to the crawl, or if you sport speedo's rather than baggy shorts (no pics please).

If you require armbands or have to start in the shallow end, that's fine with us.

But please, no running by the pool and if you feel the need to relieve yourself, kindly get out of the water first.

Top bombing!
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Is Heavy Petting permitted, though?

We are talking about a pool here LBG, not the continental baths!

A good cold shower and a spell in the army should sort you out
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

down south where they use the slide machine...

I'm a club promoter and DJ down in Bristol. I'm almost a contemporary of LBG's, and he's the Vulture I've known the longest - about 12 years I'd guess...used to be in a dodgy indie band called the Blue Aeroplanes, worked for a distribution company for a few years selling acid house records to shops around the country, compiled the 'Dope on Plastic' series and a few LPs for Harmless, run a big breaks night called BlowPop in Bristol, have way too many records for my own good. Write reviews for Grand Slam some of the time too.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

I'm Roope Mokka. Currently a freelance writer on music, tv - bloody hell anything i can come up with really.
    I'm trying to cut down my record collection all the time, but that's turning me into a record dealer and that's lilke an alcoholic bar manager.
    Now residing in finland after some 8 years in the uk (leicester, bristol, london).

Found the site years ago, probably when iwas after some library related stuff. Love the board to bits, its actually the only one I can read, understand and enjoy. The only vultures i've met personally are amino and stapleton (sorry john for the fuck-up with the fligths, it had nothing to do with me, honest).
    er

Just in case you’re not completely boss-eyed from reading potted autobiogs, here’s mine too. . .

Real name: Graham, and yes, I come from Sprowston, the suburb of Norwich delightfully name-checked in Alan Partridge. (Attention all East Anglian vultures. Don’t feel you have to berate me via this Board in the name of regional rivalry - Mrs Tommo is from Suffolk so local sparring is pretty much the order of the day anyway&#33 I’m living and working in Cardiff at the moment but one day will return to the Paris of the East.

Sweet, sweet music: I spent a few years in an indie/guitar pop group called automobile and we put out an album at the end of 1999. Radio play in Mexico City and the Faroe Islands was forthcoming; superstardom and an end to sitting behind a desk during the hours of daylight were not.

I got into the rich world of late 60s/early 70s stuff when a friend made me a breathtaking tape of music from the period. That, in conjunction with a life-changing purchase of ‘Living Stereo vol 2’ featuring Johnny Dankworth’s ‘Little Brown Jig’ and the Easy Listening re-issue boom of the mid-90s put me on track. These days I’m happy to check out almost anything from about 1965-75 but have a particular soft spot for the funky big band sound.

Can I take this opportunity to say thanks to everyone who’s posted up information about records on this site - I’m slack-jawed with admiration for the breadth of knowledge Vulture regulars bring to bear on the topic. Last night I was talking to the mate who made that original tape for me and we were saying how incredible it is that ploughing over this same patch of music again and again, even now, is bringing up to the surface loads of fabulous stuff. I love the fact that there are people just as enthusiastic about this music as me, and the Vulture Board is a fine place to share the info.

Quote[/b] ]Congratulations Dean on your move. Does this mean the Programme will alternate between Reading & Copenhagen?
    Yes, we are planning Cream style expansion (into Tallinn for the summer and maybe some fancy beach place in Argentina) before finally imploding in a cocaine haze of angry lawsuits.

If there are any Danish VVers, I would like to hear from you.

Hi I'm Jon, I am a project manager for a company that provides phone services (I am sure you've seen our late night adverts) and I also run my own small software business.

I think I found this site via Sermads Mowax site about 18 months ago. Before finding it, I had given up collecting records when I went to Uni, I am 31 now so thats a hugh gap; hence my relatively small collection. This site got me started again with loads of new music that I would passed over before.

I contribute sporadically as my knowledge is level is still low, but I like to keep an eye on topics whenever I am on line, so I am probably lurker number 1.

I don't think I've met anyone on here intentionally but some of you have sent me stuff and done me favours for no other reason than you are nice people.

Cheers guys

hi, my name is deeno (30 years) and i live in olten, switzerland. that's a 45min drive from zürich. olten is surrounded by mountains and i'm eating the hole day chocolate and cheese! i 'm collecting cows since 10 years and my collection is going bigger every year.mööööhhhhh....

it seems that i'm one of the only swiss guys here on the site. i really can't remember how i found this site (probably sermad or chris) but here exist devenitly a lot of intresting info's and mucho knowlege and at last: very friendly people!

i'm working in a small recordstore which are spezialiced in jazz,soul hip-hop and electronica. also we have a huge backcatalogue of 60's and 70's stuff.

besides i'm running the indepent label FINDERFINGER RECORDS which is responsible for the compilations kpm - action drive and deeno pres.- action passing. watch out for more in the future! also i'm producing my own stuff. one example is the last track on the action passing comp.
    as a dj i had a regular clubnight in the last 6 years but this is now cancelled because the club is in trouble with the politics. mainly music was funk and all funk related new productions.

saludos...deeno

i'm working hard to start more topics in the future, promise!.
    i'm working hard to discover a better forward for the swiss team!
    can you explain to me what this word means?

www.myspace.com/deenoakathedustybutton

i am freddie. i think i am the youngest person here. i am 17 and have been collecting for about a year but my collection is already pretty deep due being a fiend and spending fucking loads of money on records. i own mostly hiphop although i am getting in to funk soul and stuff. that is why dont post much.

i from Great Yarmouth, the bronx of norfolk. i fucking love GY but i not got much records or collectors. i am going to learn to drive so i can go farther for records.i am student at the moment. i have played out once at the skate park in GY.

i hope to post more in the future but i am dyslexic

Peace

well...i'm jon. just turned 33 (like a lot of people here it seems). by day, i make music for a living. i also do mastering and re-mastering of recordings for people, too. by night, i like spending time with my wife and two cats. i'm very proud of the fact that the "cat" smiley on here was modelled on one of my cats.

i'm reclusive, so i haven't met any other vultures (although i nearly met up with mr_hopkinson recently&#33.

i like to pick up vulture-type records (about time it was a category, albeit the largest one you can get), have done for a few years now.

aside from music, i'm into weather, wildlife, cooking (especially baking bread, usually late at night) and doing the odd bit of gardening.

i found vinylvulture by searching for information on the legend harry roche, of all people. that was over 2 years ago. i spend far too much time on here.

i'll talk to anyone on this board - i don't have or want any enemies!

peas!

This is all very nice, but what do you all look like? Aside from the Brillo meets for the London and nearby, it's still a mystery. So here's a pic of me, trying to be mysterious!

hmmm, I appear to be chest high in a vat of crude oil, no idea why...

Erm, I'm Simon, and have no medical qualifications what so ever. I spend my days pretending that amassing lots of vinyl, messing about on an old mac and knowing one chord on the guitar is a suitable living for a 32 year old.

I think I found the board after Sermad bought one of my Mr.Güder records and we exchanged a few emails. Since then I've met quite a few bods at Brillos and HF&S's.

Happy to chip in with my meagre knowledge when I can, but usually beaten to it

Am still yet to buy or sell anything on eBay, and like Mr.Hopkinson have very rarely spent more than 20 quid on a record.

Feel slightly guilty that I still owe LDJB a mixtape

I'm proud cos I have my own icon too! Cheers MR_H!

This is me at the big chill last year! Catch the same shirt + Magnum PI shades and slick backs next month.

Quote[/b] ]Feel slightly guilty that I still owe LDJB a mixtape
    I'd actually forgotten - until now!
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ June 23 2004,13:17)]I used to be in a dodgy indie band called the Blue Aeroplanes,
    i wouldn't say the blue aeroplanes were dodgy, i saw your band a few times john and thought you were quite good.
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

Hello there, my names Jo, I'm 25 and I'm up in the sunny North. This is my first post even though I've been popping in here for over a year!!

I'm a funk 45 girl...some of the pick me up fav's for me come from JB's Ladies of course and the long list of usual suspects...
    Fav diggin spot has got to be Manchester and I think we all know which shop
    ...I know that you know that I know what you don't want me to know...

In the real world I'm known as Simon, I'm 24, and on the rare occasions when I can be prized from my Howard Hughes-style reclusive existance I can be found reading the news on a couple of local radio stations (and I'm jolly good at it too, not that anyone notices&#33 The only DJ'ing I've ever done was presenting a six-hour 80s show when they were desperate, and I obviously didn't sound convincing bigging up the J Geils Band and Berlin, 'cos they never let me do it again!

Major musical influences for me were what was coming out of the telly - so TV themes, Ceefax music and so forth - and my dad's record of the theme from 'Z-Cars'. Seeing a big band on Pebble Mill at an early age convinced me of the merits of a nice brass section, and I made my first dabblings into music buying at the age of ten, when I bought a tape of BBC Sporting Themes that had been sitting in me local Woolies for about three years! First vinyl was a Syd Lawrence LP from a school jumble sale not long after.

Over the years, I found myself developing a large collection of LPs by people who I knew nothing about, so I decided to see what I could learn about these mysterious figures, as nobody else would ever bother. So as well as a large collection of LPs, I now also had a large collection of useless knowledge about music nobody else liked.

And then came VV - discovered while Googling for info on Harry Stoneham, I lurked for a while, then someone posted a question which I knew the answer to, I adopted the Lord Thames alias.....and the odyssey began!!

It's been great to find an outlet for all the info I've been accumulating, and I'm genuinely thrilled that sometimes people actually come to me direct when they need some details on some obscure budget label artist - I hope people here have found it all worthwhile!

And i have to testify here that Lord Thames's knowledge is superb and indeed awesome, answering many questions i've had festering at the back of my mind for many a year. It's also handy to have so many variations of styles on this board without any discrimination, some like up front funk, some ost's, some library's and so on...personally i like the really 'string soaked' orchestral stuff but never feel i'm a minority. Knowledge is a wonderfull thing so lets continue to share it. As for photo's i havent got any shirts that could compete with the amplitude of Sermads! .
    derelicts of dialect

Aw, thanks! I love the stringy orchestral stuff too - fear not, you're not alone!

Hi guys and girls

My name is Rutger and i am 30 years. I live in The Netherlands- right in the middle in the town called Utrecht. You could call me a vinylholic, but my collection is not that large. I'd rather pay more for a excellent record- sounds i am looking for.., than having thousands of mediocre stuff. There is so much rubbish in the market. I always expect from a record i buy that it will stand the test of time. Mmmhh, disputable. I have about 600 records of breaks, library, ost, funk (45), soul, jazz, classical, jungle(oldskool. photek), house(parrish), electrofunk(oldskool, drexciya), electronica, and hiphop well selected. The last two years i got fascinated by the library records. I got some fine KPM, De Wolfe, Themes, Freesound (I would recommend CHALLENGER by Jackie Giordano), Bruton drama stuff.
    Also a very good drama library is Musical Wildlife by Sam Sklair on Sonoton. Dramaheadz, this is essential!
    I started working as a musicjournalist, but i am quite fed up with that now. Nowadays i hear no records that really hit me deep, so i miss the sincere connection to write about music in a good way. Maybe i miss the decent stuff coming out. I am starting to produce my own sounds- as a need to satistfy myself.

Cheers
    R

It looked like this post was actually deterring the lurkers, but it's nice to see a few new faces... S'pose I'd better do the polite thing:

My name's Andrew, I'm 33 (like most people who post here by the looks of things) and live in Glasgow. I am in the fortunate position of working from home (hence spending far too much time on here) doing graphic design, and DJing at the weekends.

It was my mate Fingersports who recommended this site, before it went all snazzy, and I was instantly amazed at the amount of information on the site, and nearly every page had scans of tons of records sleeves which I'd seen loads and left behind because, well, they looked shit... After a few months lurking on the message board, I felt I might be able to contribute something since I'd taken so much out. So, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the encyclopaedic levels of knowledge being shared in a completely modest, gentlemanly fashion - although a few more girls would be nice

About 6 months ago I moved house and now I stay just round the corner from a car booter, so there's nothing I love more than getting home from DJing at 4am, getting a pot of coffee on the go and getting straight back out there...
    There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ June 23 2004,21:21)]This is all very nice, but what do you all look like? Aside from the Brillo meets for the London and nearby, it's still a mystery. So here's a pic of me, trying to be mysterious!

hmmm, I appear to be chest high in a vat of crude oil, no idea why...
    Well done with the Lomo. Just what it's all about

Yet another Simon, I'm now just 34 so feel dead old with all these young whipper snappers of 33!

Proud of being one of the Original Gangstas in forming what became BRILLO, along with "(Lord) Belson" and "Mark (I'm on holiday)LLMod1"

Formative years spent in Manchester 84-2000.

Started "properly" buying records when I was at college and had a prt time job - (88ish). Into all the mod clubs initially and then the jazz and funk and hip-hop from about 89.

Golden age of record buying was this time in MCR. Expansions (with the Soul Bowl connection for the 45s) / Out of The Past (legendary buying trips Stateside from this place) / the Goldmine (which became Beatin Rhythm) - all funk 45s £2.50 please...and why not, there's no market!!! (Eman Ed is my witness to this period - have you got that Tardis sorted out yet?)

Started the "Cheeba-Cheeba" nights in 91 - hence my monicker - playing funk/jazz and hammond heavy 45s - lots of Blue Note and Prestige grooves and lashing of the JA business all topped off with a bit of hip-hop and latin.

Did numerous clubs and bars around MCR -and guesting a lot around the North - from Leeds to Liverpool (M62) / Blackburn / Lancaster - thorughout the 90s. Also buying a lot of new release stuff - jazz beat related offshoots. As well as just going to loads of clubs and events all round the country (Hmmm, I vaguely remember a great night at some place called the COOKER in Bristol, eh, Mr Stapleton ?)

Spent lunch hours in Decoy/Fat City/Afflecks - literally giving up food for funk!

Came "darn sarf" in 2000. Work in London and live on the Essex Riviera (near Southend)

I still like records, a bit...

Great to have met all the peeps connected with VV during the last 18 months or so. It's a wonderful "community" - we're all there for each other to help each other out with our addictions (actually you all just make things worse, you bas***ds !!&#33