• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Expiry2011
    He's going, going... gone.
    • Mar 2008

August Darnell - Disco to Go

A few years ago I became interested in blue-eyed 80s pop soul. Sade, Everything But the Girl, The Style Council, the Blow Monkey and stuff like that. There was a steady supply in charity shops and although a reasonable proportion didn't please me, some things did.
    One day in a charity shop I came across a twelve inch of Kid Creole and the Coconuts' Annie I'm Not Your Daddy.
    I have always had a soft spot for that track. The afro-cuban beat, the trio of backing singers, the silly costumes and the unashamed pop of it put it firmly in the blue-eyed pop soul category that I was looking for.
    At the time of its release I vaguely remember seeing Kid Creole on TV. Zoot suit and huge fedora, long shoes and long key chain. I was too young to get any of the Cab Calloway, zoot suit riots or Harlem pimp references. At the time I was too into my indie to pay very much attention to something so obviously false and manufactured as Kid Creole.
    I was, of course, missing the point.

If you've ever listened to the words of Annie I'm Not Your Daddy, you will soon reaslise what a nasty track it is. Not only is he telling a girl that he isn't her father but he is doing it in a cruel and deliberatly hurtful way. The basic message is very similar to Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. However, Jacko's track invites you to sympathise with the put upon singer while the Kid Creole track makes you recoil from the singer as a heartless swine. Kid Creole is not a nice person and is making no concessions to being nice.

In my travels it proved easy to pick up Kid Creole stuff. Some of it was amazing, some less so.
    But it soon became clear that the Kid was not just paying homage to his musical heroes, although he was certainly doing that. His music was not just an updated version of the music for a new generation. His music was something very different.

With my interest piqued I looked a little further into the Kid, to try and find out what was behind the character and found that the answer was more characters.

All of the Kid's music is credited to August Darnell. Slowly I realised that I already owned records with his name on them - wasn't he in Dr Buzzards Original Savannah Band and didn't he write Machine's There But for the Grace of God Go I and Gichy Dan's Cowboys and Gangsters and didn't he remix James White and the Blacks' Contort Yourself? Yes he did. He worked with disco divas such as Fonda Rae, Cory Daye and Taania Gardiner.

Records written or co-written by August Darnell were classics at the Loft, the Gallery, the Paradise Garage, Danceteria, The Warehouse and the Music Box and he was a central figure in the New York disco and No-Wave scenes. But I had never heard of him. He hid behind various aliases and band names - Don Armando's 2nd Avenue Rhumba Band, Gichy Dan's Beachwood No. 9, Machine, Elbow Bones and Racketeers, Aural Exciters and most famously Dr Buzzards Original Savannah Band and finally Kid Creole and the Coconuts.

And then I discovered that even August Darnell is not his real name. In an interview he described Darnell in the third person as someone in the studio trying to make great records. He then went on to say that this was not the real him and it was just a character he put on to get what he wanted.

Darnell's music for me epitomises what disco should be all about. Anything can be disco. Classic tin-pan ally, lyrics with social commentry, jazz, calypso, samba, rock guitars, humour can all go into the mix and in the hands of August Darnell come out as happy danceable music. When disco was becoming stale and tired August Darnell and his collaborators continued to show that a great disco record need not be only about glitterballs and Studio 54. It could be about anything you wanted it to be and most importantly it could be about reinventing yourself.

In the case of August Darnell it could be about changing yourself from Thomas Bowder, an English teacher from the Bronx, ultimately into Kid Creole. Unfortunately the Kid began to take over and his commercial success meant that Darnell continued with him long after it was time to give him up and take on another identity. The Kid's early records carry on clearly from his earlier recordings. However, his new identity was not up to the task of making satisfying music into the 1980 and eventually his star faded. But what a legacy.

Everything in this chart is easy to find and dirt cheap. I hope that doesn't detract from the quality.

Recently, I played some of these tracks at a barbacue thinking that they were reasonably mainstream only to find that people found them too odd and the lyrics too strange. I hope you think the same.

1. Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Off the Coast of Me

DivShare File - Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Off the Coa.wav

From Kid Creole's first album and beautifully setting the tone of seedy, hot, tropical passion. Very slow and languid, this track mixes compelling lyrics with a exotic musical mix. Who would fall for such an obvious line? Maybe me?
    The Kid himself is hidding on the album sleeve. Perhaps old habits were dying hard?

2. Gichy Dan's Beechwood No. 9 - Splendour in the Grass

DivShare File - Gichy Dan - Splendour in the Grass.wav

By a country mile my favourite Darnell outing.
    Happy, blissful stuff that uses some disco elements, adds a dash of calypso, a dash of reggae and the stunning voice of Mr Gichy Dan himself.
    The lyrics, as usual, are superb with happy sexual bragging of youthful conquests by a man who has no regrets.

3. Dr Buzzard's Orginal Savannah Band - Sunshower

DivShare File - Dr Buzzards Original Savannah Band - Suns.wav

Another lovely track. Full of happiness and joy. One of the many things that makes me wish I was at the Loft is hearing this and trying to imagine what it must have sounded like and what the reaction was.
    Many of Darnell's songs have child singers but none are as effective as this.
    I also particularly like the Hawaiian guitar throughtout. Perfect stuff.

4. Aural Exciters - Emile (Night Rate)

DivShare File - Aural Exciters - Emile _Night Rate_.wav

Rather dark and forbidding after the happy sunshower
    The Aural Exciters were a collection of ZE Records people who put this album together after hours and after partying in Bob Blank's Blank Tapes Studio. James White, Ron Rogers, Tannia Gardner Carlos Franzetti and Andy Hernandez all do their bits.
    The title track is a great disco stomper and Darnell contributes two tracks that would appear under the Don Armando and Kid Creole banners.
    This is very deep and strange and deep. It's sexy but in a very harsh don't go down that passageway kinda way!

4. Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - Italiano

DivShare File - Dr Buzzards Original Savannah Band - Ital.wav

The last Original Dr Buzzard's record. Darnell's brother made one more but dropped the original in the name.
    As usual some stunning lyrics.
    On the second track Cory Daye sings "If I choose/to sleep with you/ Don't mistake me for a whore". Wow! This is a lost classic in my view.
    This is track is fun and I love the build up to the end with the band having a whale of a time in the studio.

6. Gichy Dan's Beechwood No. 9 - On A Day Like Today

DivShare File - Gicy Dan - On A Day Like Today.wav

I love this record so much I put another track on - go on tell me it doesn't make you feel better to listen to it.

DivShare File - Dr Buzzards Original Savannah Band - Hard.wav

Same as above - another great track from a great record
    The piano is lovely

8. Kid Creole and the Coconuts - I Am

DivShare File - Kid Creole and the Coconuts - I Am.wav

Back to the Kid and his second album.
    The whole record is great.
    This track starts as a slightly 80s reggae lite affair but takes in some funk and some eighties synth work

9. Coati Mundi - Que Pasa/ Me No Pop I

DivShare File - Coati Mundi - Me No Pop I.wav

Yes I know that this was in the charts.
    But listen carefully and its mix of latin rhythms, bad rap and chessy backing vocals is impossible to resist.
    As usual listen to the lyrics and laugh out loud
    Coati Mundi - aka 'Sugar Coated' Andy Hernandez was with Darnell in most of his projects starting with Dr Buzzard's.

10. Cristina - La Poupee Qui Fait Non

DivShare File - cristina - la poupee qui fait non.wav

Completely different from the original Michael Poulnareff version.
    And somewhat ironic as Cristina was the girlfriend of Ze Records owner and was given the chance to sing on his say so.
    Darnell was given carte blanche with this record and he went to work to create a No-Wave, Mutant Disco masterpiece.
    Some of the experiements don't work - but when they do......

11. Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Going Nowhere

DivShare File - Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Going Place.wav

"Belive me I know/When you leave New York/ You go - nowhere!"
    Inspired stuff
    Some nice choppy guitar and backing singing on this - "What kooky karma!"
    Indeed

12. Coati Mundi - Rapalogue

DivShare File - Coati Mundi - Rapalogue.wav

From his solo album The Former Twelve Year Old Genius.
    I have real trouble identifying the best track from this, usually, cheap as chips record.
    Not sure why no one else likes it but I think its hilarious.
    He is, of course, a terrible rapper.

13. Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Maladie D'Amour

DivShare File - Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Maladie D_A.wav

Orginally appearing on the Aural Exciter's album this remixed version is far better.
    Cory Daye comes back for vocals and aces it.
    Mixes forties style big band, latin rhythms and a great soul chorus.

14. Don Armando's 2nd Avenue Rumba Band - Going to a Showdown

Fonda Rae on vocal duties here
    I am sure you'll have heard Deputy of Love and I'm An Indian Too
    This is just as full of humour and is also great disco.

15. Kid Creole and the Coconuts - There's Somthing Wrong in Paradise - Larry Levan Mix

DivShare File - Kid Creole and the Coconuts - There_s Som.wav

I would never have believed that Levan would remix Kid Creole.
    But here is is and a damn fine anything goes track it is too

16. James White and the Blacks -Contort Yourself - August Darnell mix

DivShare File - James White and the Blacks - Contort Your.wav

I wasn't going to put this in but its just too good to leave out

I've managed to get through without putting Anne I'm Not Your Daddy on - phew!
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl
  • M.Dejean
    Animated Egg
    • Oct 2006

Kid Creole

I grew up with the music of Kid Creole & The Coconuts (my mother was a huge fan).
    Good, fun dance music. I enjoyed reading your introduction.
    He is definitely an underrated character.

Nice to see "Emile" on your chart.
    That's one of my fave Darnell-related songs.
    Been spinning that "Contort Yourself" mix a lot lately too.
    Last edited by M.Dejean; 15-07-2009, 08:19 AM.
    .ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.

Comment

• Electro_suze
      Electric Prunes
      • Oct 2007

Really interesting post. I agree about 'Annie I'm not your daddy' - fantastic song, super-harsh lyrics. I must have listened to the song 10 times before I actually listened to it, and clocked to what he was saying. Weird juxtaposition with what is otherwise quite a joyful-sounding pop record. Do you know any more about it? Was it in any way autobiographical?

Comment

• pitch
        80s Moderator
        • Feb 2005

Genius - absolute genius... the focus, the descriptions and the music within.
        Will now explore the bits I am not already familiar with, and those LPs off the shelves once more.

There is a recently compiled selection of August Darnell's work which is a pretty good accompaniment to this: Kid Creole - Going Places - The August Darnell Years 1976 - 1983, on Strut. Some duplications, but mostly different choices.
        "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

• eclectiktronik
          • Jul 2006

Now you're talking! My first ever Lp, along with John handy's 'carnaval', was Dr Buzzard goes to washington. A year later I got 'tropical gangsters' for my birthday - and instantly made the Darnell connection.

I used to have a book about the band - long since lost it. That was fascinating, it talked about Darnell's origins, influences (Darnell was a big Beatles fan apparently) and his battles with the older Stony, plus some of his sex adventures.... Can't recall what it was called or who it was by sadly....

I'd not heard Gichy Dan , cristina or Aural exciters - thanks for posting them! the aural exciters track you posted starts like the section at the end of the 'band on the run' Lp by wings.

Cory Daye did some albums in the mid 80s, must track them down if this funk is anything to go on!

Anyway, to complement that chart here's a few more - this is my selection; on the less well known tunes, I had to dig out the vinyl, do quick video uploads with webcam on the fly - sorry about the poor quality should give you a taste though :

-Dr Buzzard - Sour & sweet /lemon in the honey. For me the best disco-swing fusion on the whole LP, with some nice harmonies. Like the Manhattan Transfer could have been had they ditched the tweeness. A few tasteful electronic tones and effects remind us this is the 70s, and 4 bars or so of treated bass groove segues the two sections of the track neatly. Most these tracks stand up individually extemely well. From s/t 1st LP

-Dr Buzzard - Mister love.From 2nd RCA LP 'meets king pennett'. music in the same vein as above, redefined swing updated by a powerful horn section with a few melodic twists. Rest of the album is nowhere near as strong - all the tracks sound very similar, whilst it's pleasant easy listening, it's lacking the 'spark' of the 1st Lp or subsequent Lp 'Goes to washington'.

-Dr. Buzzard - Didn't I love you girl. It's hard to pick a song form this 1979 Elektra Lp, they're all amazing. This still gives me goose bumps. Amazing slice of uplifting , impecccably arranged dance music, effortlessly fusing swing, calypso, disco and god knows what else. Lyrics about getting famous and forgetting who stuck by you thorugh hard times. From LP 'goes to washington'

- Dr Buzzard - Do that girl. This 1984 Lp on passport, 'calling all beatniks', is a sort of epilogue. Here the influences are very much limited to the 40s/50s - early rock and roll and upbeat swing à la Glenn miller. Before you think it's Jive bunny, it's not that bad, but the mixing further spoils this admittedly rather weak Lp. Everything seems drenched in reverb, the worst offenders being the overbearing drum sound on all tracks and vocals. If they were looking for an aural aesthetic of a 50s band taped in an empty church hall, they certainly nailed it here!
          Like the way they use the hook from the Isley's 'shout' at the end!

-Kid creole - Gina, gina (he's just a ski instructor) - very catchy laid back reggae melody. The version in this clip is preceded by a funk jam worthy of the JBs IMHO. from 'fresh fruit in foreign places' - a pop/world music concept album!

-Kid creole - Darrio. this LP has very scaled down horns after Dr Buzzard, more contemporary disco/funk with percussion and bass. This is a killer bass line! Someone else did it , I had it as a 12" on pinnacle records. Amusing lyrics, about hangers-on on the NYC disco scene. On 1st Lp, 'off the coast of me'

-Kid creole - Stool pigeon. This is one amazingly funky record. That bassline could be straight off a Pleasure LP! The album version is the best. the whole of this Lp -Tropical gangsters- is killer, very individual sound on each track.

-Kid creole - Endicott. Another powerful bassline, high in the mix, and an unforgiving beat, whilst lacking the rhythmic and percussive complexity of the buzzard-era stuff, this is an extremely funky track. It was probably a rip off of James Brown's 'Ain't it funky now', but who cares! From 'in praise of older women and other crimes' album - their first on Sire, a flawed album IMHO, as the production and songs seem weaker.

-Kid creole - El hijo. Amazing slice of funky son/salsa, hilarious lyrics - if you understnad spanish, anyway. It's like a follow up to 'Annie I'm not your daddy'; this time with a kid asking if his father really is a monkey and being told 'mira, y tu verás, que eres feo; ...eres el hijo de King kong' (=look you'll see you're ugly; son of king kong)
          from 'I too have seen the woods', on sire.

- Coati Mundi - I'm corrupt. Another 'salsified' groove. This was also on the Kid creole 'tropical gangster ' LP , as an instrumental. This version features an amusing introduction
          /sketch where his woman confronts him with evidence of his supposed playing away - items such as pictures of him and Boy George, and her sisters earring and underwear in the bed!
          Also from the same Lp: Tropical hot dog night - 6 funky minutes of salsa and captain beefheart! I also have this on 12".

- Elbow Bones and the racketeers - A night in new york. Echoes of Dr Buzzard here in the retro arrangements and swingy feel. Also in the lyrics, and the fact the Lp this comes from is called 'New york at dawn' (that track also appears on Buzzard's 'Goes to washington'). I am still looking for this Lp!
          I like the b-side: Happy times. very understated pop/groove, despite the tinny drum sounds. And that piano lick I've heard on macca's 'mary had a little lamb'!

- Machine - you've come a long way baby. This 1979 Darnell production is overtly aimed at the disco market. As an LP, maybe a bit short on memorable tracks compared to Dr Buzzard stuff which Darnell was involved with at that time, but this is a very tasty bit of funk. From lp 'machine'

Hope these are of interest, and thanks Mr. Expury for turning my empty evening into a hunt through my racks for all these great albums!
          Last edited by eclectiktronik; 15-07-2009, 03:19 AM.
          "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

• babycart
            Baldhead Growler
            • Sep 2004

Coati Mundi rules and Que Pasa is the best fucked up over-sensitive little macho turd rap ever.

My favourite biit is where he goes Y por favor en frente de GENTE no me llamas histerico but I never knew what it meant unti recently:

And please don't call me 'hysterical' in front of people.

Dr Buzzard were about the only group who could actually carry off that odd 1920s-style disco-charleston thing without making you cringe.

Cheers Expury70. there's a few here I don't know. I'm looking forward to a tropical evening..
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Mang
              Electric Banana
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by pitch View Post
              Genius - absolute genius... the focus, the descriptions and the music within.
              Will now explore the bits I am not already familiar with, and those LPs off the shelves once more.

There is a recently compiled selection of August Darnell's work which is a pretty good accompaniment to this: Kid Creole - Going Places - The August Darnell Years 1976 - 1983, on Strut. Some duplications, but mostly different choices.
              That Strut CD has been on constant rotation here at work. Top stuff. I had the privilege of seeing Kid Creole on both the Tropical Gangsters and Lifeboat Party tours - the former being one of the most memorable shows i've ever witnessed.
              Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

• Expiry2011
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Electro_suze View Post
                Really interesting post. I agree about 'Annie I'm not your daddy' - fantastic song, super-harsh lyrics. I must have listened to the song 10 times before I actually listened to it, and clocked to what he was saying. Weird juxtaposition with what is otherwise quite a joyful-sounding pop record. Do you know any more about it? Was it in any way autobiographical?
                I don't know a great deal about his love life except that he was married to one of the Coconuts for a while but it didn't work and it ended badly
                I'm inclinded to think that its imaginary as the Kid was a very well defined character with definate traits not all of which were necessarily Darnell.

Originally posted by pitch View Post
                God damn - just had a look on line and I've just found it
                Shows that I should use Google more
                Just goes to show that if I've had an idea then someone else is bound to have had it first
                At least the tracks aren't the same

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
                Now you're talking! My first ever Lp, along with John handy's 'carnaval', was Dr Buzzard goes to washington. A year later I got 'tropical gangsters' for my birthday - and instantly made the Darnell connection.

I used to have a book about the band - long since lost it. That was fascinating, it talked about Darnell's origins, influences (Darnell was a big Beatles fan apparently) and his battles with the older Stony, plus some of his sex adventures.... Can't recall what it was called or who it was by sadly....

Cory Daye did some albums in the mid 80s, must track them down if this funk is anything to go on!

I had the privilege of seeing Kid Creole on both the Tropical Gangsters and Lifeboat Party tours - the former being one of the most memorable shows i've ever witnessed.
                Thanks for posting some more stuff - I just can't get enough of it at the moment
                And I must track down the Dr Buzzard's King Pennant album - sounds fab - as well as the Cory Daye stuff. Over Like A Fat Rat is a killer track

Would love to find the book too!!

I've seen some footage of the Kid live and it does look great
                At the time I was too interested in seeing the Mary Chain or MBV to care too much about Kid Creole - oh, all those wasted opportunities!
                "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Comment

• SlippedDisc
                  Animated Egg
                  • May 2009

Excellent! Many that I know and love, but several that I don't.

Got a soft spot for Kid Creole; like you, I was very much into my 'difficult' music at the time, but found his stuff difficult to overlook. Consequently his was one of my earliest gigs. The gig was fantastic, btw.

He got championed a lot by the NME (I was an avid reader at the time, with all that that implies...). Unfortunately that whole NY latino mutant funk disco scene spawned an awful attempt by Face-reading Londoners at recreating it in the Wag club (think 'Blue Rondo a la Turk' - the band - ...or on second thoughts, don't).

Originally posted by Expury70 View Post
                  I don't know a great deal about his love life except that he was married to one of the Coconuts for a while but it didn't work and it ended badly
                  I'm inclinded to think that its imaginary as the Kid was a very well defined character with definate traits not all of which were necessarily Darnell.
                  For your information, the Coconut that he married was the blonde that he's hiding behind on the sleeve of the first album....

Comment

• Felonious
                    Animated Egg
                    • Aug 2006

The Old Grey Whistle Test showed a video of Kid Creole and The Coconuts which caused a bit of reaction. ATV gave them an hour long special on a Saturday night and more people picked up on the buzz. I used to play "Mr. Softee" and " Maladie D'Amour" from Off the Coast of me at Glasgow School of Art. And later Latin Music and Gina Gina. When the third album came out Kid Creole moved on to my playlist for the more mainstream disco night at the Queen Margaret Union.

There were two tours of the UK. They played the Glasgow Apollo first with an underpowered PA system but it was recorded and broadcast by Radio Clyde. Kid Creole was interviewed by Billy Sloan. Both he and I had to reach for the dictionary when August said he started off as a pedagogue. The Lifeboat Party tour was even more spectacular but success had gone to their heads. i used to have the Kid Creole biography but it's not to hand. However Adriana Kaegi (Co Founder with August and Coati) has made a video Kid Creole and My Coconuts

As an aside Dr. Buzzard's I'll Play The fool was one of the records played at The Blackpool Mecca which led to a split in the Northern Soul scene with Ian Levine determined top play contemporary records rather than just 100mph oldies.

Dr. Buzzard

oops Here's a site where Urmston residents discuss having Kid Creole as a neighbour.
                    Last edited by Felonious; 20-07-2009, 12:56 PM. Reason: Forgot a bit
                    http://www.mixcloud.com/feloniousmunk/

Comment

• Expiry2011
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Felonious View Post
                      The Old Grey Whistle Test showed a video of Kid Creole and The Coconuts which caused a bit of reaction. ATV gave them an hour long special on a Saturday night and more people picked up on the buzz. I used to play "Mr. Softee" and " Maladie D'Amour" from Off the Coast of me at Glasgow School of Art. And later Latin Music and Gina Gina. When the third album came out Kid Creole moved on to my playlist for the more mainstream disco night at the Queen Margaret Union.

There were two tours of the UK. They played the Glasgow Apollo first with an underpowered PA system but it was recorded and broadcast by Radio Clyde. Kid Creole was interviewed by Billy Sloan. Both he and I had to reach for the dictionary when August said he started off as a pedagogue. The Lifeboat Party tour was even more spectacular but success had gone to their heads. i used to have the Kid Creole biography but it's not to hand. However Adriana Kaegi (Co Founder with August and Coati) has made a video Kid Creole and My Coconuts

As an aside Dr. Buzzard's I'll Play The fool was one of the records played at The Blackpool Mecca which led to a split in the Northern Soul scene with Ian Levine determined top play contemporary records rather than just 100mph oldies.

Dr. Buzzard

oops Here's a site where Urmston residents discuss having Kid Creole as a neighbour.
                      Loving the Urmiston residents site - you'd never get that about MJ!

Would love to see the film - looks good and a bit bitchy too

And I had no idea that Dr Buzzard's got a Northern spin - I can see why the old school lovers wouldn't like it but their loss!!!

Anyone else with any Kid Creole/August Darnell knowledge?

Comment

• SirSlim
                        Chocolate Rain
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by SlippedDisc View Post
                        Unfortunately that whole NY latino mutant funk disco scene spawned an awful attempt by Face-reading Londoners at recreating it in the Wag club (think 'Blue Rondo a la Turk' - the band - ...or on second thoughts, don't).
                        All the attention went on to the suits they wore rather than the music they produced...

Excellent thread, as an aside, one of my guest DJs played some Kid Creole on Saturday night at SLP. Sounded great!

Comment

• eclectiktronik
                          • Jul 2006

Blimey! compare this cory daye track 'citynights/manhattan cafe' with the elbow bones track 'a night in NY' recycling a go-go!
                          "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

• Expiry2011
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
                            Blimey! compare this cory daye track 'citynights/manhattan cafe' with the elbow bones track 'a night in NY' recycling a go-go!
                            He did use a lot of tracks more than once - the Aural Exciters record has one that got used for Don Armando and Maladie D'Amour which was used by Kid Creole and Kid Creole also did There But for the Grace of God
                            To be honest I've never really liked Elbow Bones and Racketeers much

Comment

Working...
                            X