Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to go for my birthday

Default where to go for my birthday

every year i used to head up to nottingham, clutching my birthday money (and extra i forgot to mention to anyone) and have a birthday blow out in selectadisk, then fopp, then robbs, then if i could stall carry the stuff any other shop i could think off.

now selectadisk is gone and thats where id spend most of my money, can anyone sugest anywhere else that has decent record shops?
    id like somewhere that was cheap like selectadisk, that has new stuff, but also a few second hand places. and a fopp.

London or Bristol would meet the criteria.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

ahh cool
    bristol isnt to far away is it.

London, though theres loads of shops, i went once and only bought 1 lp, coz i thought the stuff i found might be cheaper in the next shop, but because there was so many i never got to go back to pick up the stuff i found.

Bradford - trip to the Film & TV Museum, A decent curry and a bit of record shop... stop off in Hudderfield on the way there - decent shop near the station and an enroute pint...
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Manchester, a few independent record shops in the Northern Quarter, there's also Vinyl Exchange and a Fopp and an Oxfam music. Can get lunch in the Pop Cafe and visit Urbis and the Science museum.

It's a lot cheaper to just get sad drunk and think about death like I do every year.
    Ohne Expedit geht das Abendland unter!!!

Tallinn looked like a fun place to dig and hang out.

eBay

and sit in your gaff drinking Cava and eating Scotch Eggs
    SMOKE on SPOKE is OUT NOW!!!! >>> SEE HERE <<< 1970 East Anglian Heavy Rock with Psychedelic Flourishes and stuff.

Default !

No records in Bristol. . . !

Quote Originally Posted by Col Wolfe View Post
    ...sit in your gaff drinking Cava and eating Scotch Eggs
    You stay classy Col...
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by korova View Post
    Manchester, a few independent record shops in the Northern Quarter, there's also Vinyl Exchange and a Fopp and an Oxfam music. Can get lunch in the Pop Cafe and visit Urbis and the Science museum.
    Manchester is a good call - loads of peeps on here can give you tips on where to go and if you can brave the M6, you can be there in reasonable time...
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

manchester, a few independent record shops in the northern quarter, there's also vinyl exchange and a fopp and an oxfam music. Can get lunch in the pop cafe and visit urbis and the science museum.
    agreed
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

I'd second that - a few good beer to be had - a sensible price Holtz's - The Deaf Instituite has a top selection of beer and is a short hop (stagger) from Rusholm... - bus out to Dulcimer for a last beer...

Some good record stores and Urbis is a winner...

Pop Cafe - only go if your not with a teapot fanatic of a misses otherwise you'll be spending the record tokens on nice but expensive pottery
    Last edited by MPFlapp; 15-07-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling - fear of expensive teapots
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Default treat yourself, E-A...

Quote Originally Posted by Col Wolfe View Post
    eBay

and sit in your gaff drinking Cava and eating Scotch Eggs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sie Vulture View Post
    You stay classy Col...

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Chiba View Post
    No records in Bristol. . . !

He's right you know, I wouldnt recommend it for record shops to be honest.

Default ?!

Especially not any records in Bedminster!

I guess Brizzle probably is a bit of a shadow of its former self RE rekkid shoppes. . . RIP Replay. . .Fopp and Rise are OK, but there's only Rooted left for independent dance stuff. . . I guess the best 2nd hand shop might be Plastic Wax, but I'm still boycotting them and it's too far to walk. Haven't been to Repsycho for an age and PK Music Exchange is quite soul destroyingly crap, albeit good for 2nd hand 'ardcore. Clifton Arcade man is actually great, but a bit too great for his own good: since the decent stock is so cheap it lasts about 5 minutes on the floor.

Guess we don't do badly for rekkid fairs though.

I also really like that new geezer in St Nix Market - have had a few really cool bits off him. He also seems like a really nice geezer. You been round there yet Prof?

Was exceptionally chuffed when, having scored the first parasites of the western world lp in his shop, I was at a fair the other week and he mentioned he had the debut too. . . which I'd been ogling online. You don't get that kind o' service in HMV. . .

Especially not any records in Bedminster!

I guess Brizzle probably is a bit of a shadow of its former self RE rekkid shoppes. . . RIP Replay. . .Fopp and Rise are OK, but there's only Rooted left for independent dance stuff. . . I guess the best 2nd hand shop might be Plastic Wax, but I'm still boycotting them and it's too far to walk. Haven't been to Repsycho for an age and PK Music Exchange is quite soul destroyingly crap, albeit good for 2nd hand 'ardcore. Clifton Arcade man is actually great, but a bit too great for his own good: since the decent stock is so cheap it lasts about 5 minutes on the floor.

Guess we don't do badly for rekkid fairs though.

I also really like that new geezer in St Nix Market - have had a few really cool bits off him. He also seems like a really nice geezer. You been round there yet Prof?

Was exceptionally chuffed when, having scored the first parasites of the western world lp in his shop, I was at a fair the other week and he mentioned he had the debut too. . . which I'd been ogling online. You don't get that kind o' service in HMV. . .

Been to that blokes shop in St Nicks once or twice and he's the same bloke who does the record fair now and again.I think he gets some nice bits in now again but as everywhere you need to be quick. Not as quick as Clifton Arcade man, I usually buy his stock off Pete with a 400% mark up.

Went to Plastic Wax a couple of months ago and asked very nicely about any nice stuff in and got to told where to go more or less. So I flicked through the charity shop 60s singles for 3 quid a pop and then left,never to return.

Went up Whiteladies Rd today after 2 months off. Flippin same records and what is going on with those prices?

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKPROF View Post
    Went to Plastic Wax a couple of months ago and asked very nicely about any nice stuff in and got to told where to go more or less. So I flicked through the charity shop 60s singles for 3 quid a pop and then left,never to return.
    Don't blame you ! I would have very unpolitely told them to shove their records where the sun don't shine
    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Default ?!

Indeed. Knbbheads.

Hmm, I think St Nick's market geezer has a lot of quirky stuff. . . certainly the best shop for obscure private presses in the greater Bristol area. Has a lot of esoteric bits I haven't seen elsewhere. . . he has at least a couple of copies of the dulcimer heavy "The Estates" suite which I enjoyed a lot. . .

Indeed. Knbbheads.

Hmm, I think St Nick's market geezer has a lot of quirky stuff. . . certainly the best shop for obscure private presses in the greater Bristol area. Has a lot of esoteric bits I haven't seen elsewhere. . . he has at least a couple of copies of the dulcimer heavy "The Estates" suite which I enjoyed a lot. . .
    I've always found at least one record i actually want at a fair price when i've visited his stall over the years
    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Indeed. Knbbheads.

who's this new St Nicks dude? not the reggae guy thats been there for years - -is there a new reord-vendor that i haven't been to yet???

down south where they use the slide machine...

Plastic Wax is still the king - picked up a lovely copy of Trees 'On The Shore' in there yesterday, which I'd been after for years, and some great 45s on Saturday too.

Tony in St Nicks does get some nice bits in, he had a really clean 'Windmill Tilter' for a few hours last week...
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by pencilface View Post
    who's this new St Nicks dude? not the reggae guy thats been there for years - -is there a new reord-vendor that i haven't been to yet???
    Tony Stokes - been doing fairs for about 20 years, folk and prog is what he does best...

...he has at least a couple of copies of the dulcimer heavy "The Estates" suite which I enjoyed a lot. . .
    As in Peter Hall (that Wayne posted clips from)? Is it expensive? If not, I'd gladly trade for one if you picked it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Sie Vulture View Post
    Manchester is a good call - loads of peeps on here can give you tips on where to go and if you can brave the M6, you can be there in reasonable time...
    Rather than the M6 the train might be good, both Victoria and Piccadily stations are in the city centre. Forgot to mention King Bee records, if you've plenty of time, its a bus or taxi out of town (about 20 mins) to Chorlton but well worth a visit, http://www.kingbeerecords.co.uk/.

ok looks like its gonna be manchester or bristol then.

id probably need a map or something for bristol as ive never been there, manchester i know, kind of. been there a few times now. but never really found many records.
    so itll probably be bristol then.

Quote Originally Posted by eric-adams View Post
    ok looks like its gonna be manchester or bristol then.

id probably need a map or something for bristol as ive never been there, manchester i know, kind of. been there a few times now. but never really found many records.
    so itll probably be bristol then.
    You can go to Electric Ladyland (guitar shop) too and marvel at his collection of vintage kit!

Quote Originally Posted by john stapleton View Post
    You can go to Electric Ladyland (guitar shop) too and marvel at his collection of vintage kit!
    ahh cool.
    that sounds ace.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKPROF View Post
    Odd. The few times I've been in there they've been nice. Probably prone to moodswings or something. The bloke in D'vinyl in Cardiff is the same...sometimes lovely and helpful sometimes as miserable as sin.

is there a shop in bristol that sells stuff like the finders keepers lps, and the trunk stuff? like selectadisk used too, also is there a metal record shop?

man i badly miss selectadisc, seems like my birthday ritual is all ruined