• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Viva Chiba
    Lonely Jelly
    • Feb 2003

?!

Especially not any records in Bedminster!

I guess Brizzle probably is a bit of a shadow of its former self RE rekkid shoppes. . . RIP Replay. . .Fopp and Rise are OK, but there's only Rooted left for independent dance stuff. . . I guess the best 2nd hand shop might be Plastic Wax, but I'm still boycotting them and it's too far to walk. Haven't been to Repsycho for an age and PK Music Exchange is quite soul destroyingly crap, albeit good for 2nd hand 'ardcore. Clifton Arcade man is actually great, but a bit too great for his own good: since the decent stock is so cheap it lasts about 5 minutes on the floor.

Guess we don't do badly for rekkid fairs though.

I also really like that new geezer in St Nix Market - have had a few really cool bits off him. He also seems like a really nice geezer. You been round there yet Prof?

Was exceptionally chuffed when, having scored the first parasites of the western world lp in his shop, I was at a fair the other week and he mentioned he had the debut too. . . which I'd been ogling online. You don't get that kind o' service in HMV. . .

Comment

• ROCKPROF
      Lonely Jelly
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Viva Chiba View Post
      Especially not any records in Bedminster!

I guess Brizzle probably is a bit of a shadow of its former self RE rekkid shoppes. . . RIP Replay. . .Fopp and Rise are OK, but there's only Rooted left for independent dance stuff. . . I guess the best 2nd hand shop might be Plastic Wax, but I'm still boycotting them and it's too far to walk. Haven't been to Repsycho for an age and PK Music Exchange is quite soul destroyingly crap, albeit good for 2nd hand 'ardcore. Clifton Arcade man is actually great, but a bit too great for his own good: since the decent stock is so cheap it lasts about 5 minutes on the floor.

Guess we don't do badly for rekkid fairs though.

I also really like that new geezer in St Nix Market - have had a few really cool bits off him. He also seems like a really nice geezer. You been round there yet Prof?

Was exceptionally chuffed when, having scored the first parasites of the western world lp in his shop, I was at a fair the other week and he mentioned he had the debut too. . . which I'd been ogling online. You don't get that kind o' service in HMV. . .

Been to that blokes shop in St Nicks once or twice and he's the same bloke who does the record fair now and again.I think he gets some nice bits in now again but as everywhere you need to be quick. Not as quick as Clifton Arcade man, I usually buy his stock off Pete with a 400% mark up.

Went to Plastic Wax a couple of months ago and asked very nicely about any nice stuff in and got to told where to go more or less. So I flicked through the charity shop 60s singles for 3 quid a pop and then left,never to return.

Went up Whiteladies Rd today after 2 months off. Flippin same records and what is going on with those prices?
      http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

• TOWNY
        Wavy Gravy
        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by ROCKPROF View Post
        Went to Plastic Wax a couple of months ago and asked very nicely about any nice stuff in and got to told where to go more or less. So I flicked through the charity shop 60s singles for 3 quid a pop and then left,never to return.
        Don't blame you ! I would have very unpolitely told them to shove their records where the sun don't shine
        SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

• Viva Chiba
          Lonely Jelly
          • Feb 2003

?!

Indeed. Knbbheads.

Hmm, I think St Nick's market geezer has a lot of quirky stuff. . . certainly the best shop for obscure private presses in the greater Bristol area. Has a lot of esoteric bits I haven't seen elsewhere. . . he has at least a couple of copies of the dulcimer heavy "The Estates" suite which I enjoyed a lot. . .

Comment

• TOWNY
            Wavy Gravy
            • Apr 2002

Indeed. Knbbheads.

Hmm, I think St Nick's market geezer has a lot of quirky stuff. . . certainly the best shop for obscure private presses in the greater Bristol area. Has a lot of esoteric bits I haven't seen elsewhere. . . he has at least a couple of copies of the dulcimer heavy "The Estates" suite which I enjoyed a lot. . .
            I've always found at least one record i actually want at a fair price when i've visited his stall over the years
            SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

• pencilface
              Chocolate Rain
              • Oct 2006

Indeed. Knbbheads.

who's this new St Nicks dude? not the reggae guy thats been there for years - -is there a new reord-vendor that i haven't been to yet???
              Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• john stapleton
                • Jun 2002

Plastic Wax is still the king - picked up a lovely copy of Trees 'On The Shore' in there yesterday, which I'd been after for years, and some great 45s on Saturday too.

Tony in St Nicks does get some nice bits in, he had a really clean 'Windmill Tilter' for a few hours last week...
                We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

• john stapleton
                  • Jun 2002

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
                  who's this new St Nicks dude? not the reggae guy thats been there for years - -is there a new reord-vendor that i haven't been to yet???
                  Tony Stokes - been doing fairs for about 20 years, folk and prog is what he does best...

Comment

• Little Jimmy Oddman
                    Plastic Waffle
                    • Jan 2005

...he has at least a couple of copies of the dulcimer heavy "The Estates" suite which I enjoyed a lot. . .
                    As in Peter Hall (that Wayne posted clips from)? Is it expensive? If not, I'd gladly trade for one if you picked it up?
                    Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

• korova
                      Electric Prunes
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
                      Manchester is a good call - loads of peeps on here can give you tips on where to go and if you can brave the M6, you can be there in reasonable time...
                      Rather than the M6 the train might be good, both Victoria and Piccadily stations are in the city centre. Forgot to mention King Bee records, if you've plenty of time, its a bus or taxi out of town (about 20 mins) to Chorlton but well worth a visit, http://www.kingbeerecords.co.uk/.

Comment

• Paul-K
                        aka Eric Adams
                        • Jan 2005

ok looks like its gonna be manchester or bristol then.

id probably need a map or something for bristol as ive never been there, manchester i know, kind of. been there a few times now. but never really found many records.
                        so itll probably be bristol then.
                        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

• john stapleton
                          • Jun 2002

Originally posted by eric-adams View Post
                          ok looks like its gonna be manchester or bristol then.

id probably need a map or something for bristol as ive never been there, manchester i know, kind of. been there a few times now. but never really found many records.
                          so itll probably be bristol then.
                          You can go to Electric Ladyland (guitar shop) too and marvel at his collection of vintage kit!

Comment

• Paul-K
                            aka Eric Adams
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
                            You can go to Electric Ladyland (guitar shop) too and marvel at his collection of vintage kit!
                            ahh cool.
                            that sounds ace.
                            instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

• Iain
                              Green Onions
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by ROCKPROF View Post
                              Odd. The few times I've been in there they've been nice. Probably prone to moodswings or something. The bloke in D'vinyl in Cardiff is the same...sometimes lovely and helpful sometimes as miserable as sin.

Comment

• Paul-K
                                aka Eric Adams
                                • Jan 2005

is there a shop in bristol that sells stuff like the finders keepers lps, and the trunk stuff? like selectadisk used too, also is there a metal record shop?

man i badly miss selectadisc, seems like my birthday ritual is all ruined
                                instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Working...
                                X