• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mukuta
    Green Onions
    • Sep 2009

buying new vinyl

Hello
    sometimes i buy new vinyl ,or because a original is way to expensive like arcadium
    or when the music must be 100% like the watt phrophets so my main reason to buy new is cheap and or good conditon
    am i the only one between you lucky diggers ;-)

and if you do wich album and why ?

and no i am not rich but i rather cut on food and clothes then music ;-)
  • soul doubt
    Electric Prunes
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mukuta View Post
    Hello
    sometimes i buy new vinyl ,or because a original is way to expensive like arcadium
    or when the music must be 100% like the watt phrophets so my main reason to buy new is cheap and or good conditon
    am i the only one between you lucky diggers ;-)

and if you do wich album and why ?

and no i am not rich but i rather cut on food and clothes then music ;-)
    You mean original pressing or reissue right? My cut-off's about £50-60 for an original of whatever it is I want. I don't mind buying cheaper poorer quality condition original LPs as long as it'll play alright. Recently I've found a lot of people listing their records in a poorer condition than they actually are.
    http://www.keepup.co.uk
    http://www.twitter.com/keepup
    http://www.twitter.com/tomcentral
    http://www.twitter.com/music_film_tv

Comment

• emperor tomato ketchup
      Chocolate Rain
      • May 2003

There's plenty of people here who buy new stuff. Esp. non-european/american stuff that is highly unlikely to turn up in your local market. Labels like finders keepers, trunk and soundway get a fair bit of enthusiasm.
      Last edited by emperor tomato ketchup; 24-09-2009, 05:10 PM.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

• eclipsechaser
        Lonely Jelly
        • Jul 2003

I love new records and buy shed loads of them. But then I like a lot of modern music.

Each to there own heh?
        Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

• medlar
          Chocolate Rain
          • Dec 2005

New vinyl eh?

Check this out:

Heavy Winged & Inca Ore

Out there psyche heaviness of the first order
          Attached Files
          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• ROCKPROF
            Lonely Jelly
            • May 2006

I used to buy a load of reissues but got a bit fed up with the pressing quality.A lot of them would just start sounding a bit crummy after a few plays or would sound a bit wrong.

Just wait until a decent orig turns up for a relatively low price and be very patient.
            http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

• Shakey
              Animated Egg
              • Feb 2009

I buy a fair few new vinyl records, either reissues or new releases. One thing I have noticed is that I come across a much higher percentage of mispressings and the like buying new than second hand. I have often wondered if this is down to modern vinyl pressing not being what it once was (as I am inclined to think), or is it just that when talking about 20+ year old records the crap pressings have been filtered out of circulation?

I'm only a relatively young fella so I don't know what pressing quality was like in 50s-70s, i.e. were there just as many mispressings as there are now?

I hope that post makes sense, the wine is starting to kick in after a hard week...

Comment

• enrico chiesa
                Electric Banana
                • Nov 2007

Somewhat ironically I regularly visit our 'outsider music' local indie (alt vinyl) in town and beat down to pick up new stuff which (usually) sounds old... I'm a sucker for hissy 4 track recorded psych jams and voodoo percussion pressed on runs of 329...

As for vintage releases - original wherever possible, up to a limit of about £200 max I'd say (probs the most I've ever spent)... but if its horrifically rare or whatever I'll make do with a repro - there are some real labels of love seeking out (and improving on) master tapes and putting the graft in to make heavy duty pressings and equally nice sleeves... ie. Finders Keepers, Light In The Attic, Numero Group etc.

Comment

• mukuta
                  Green Onions
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Shakey View Post
                  I buy a fair few new vinyl records, either reissues or new releases. One thing I have noticed is that I come across a much higher percentage of mispressings and the like buying new than second hand. I have often wondered if this is down to modern vinyl pressing not being what it once was (as I am inclined to think), or is it just that when talking about 20+ year old records the crap pressings have been filtered out of circulation?

I'm only a relatively young fella so I don't know what pressing quality was like in 50s-70s, i.e. were there just as many mispressings as there are now?

I hope that post makes sense, the wine is starting to kick in after a hard week...
                  i think in general the pressings where ok
                  but for instance i have the album of sadhu brand on the original label but both copies i have are unplayble one has a nasty bent in the pressing the other is so out of centre my recordplayer cant take it ;-)
                  on the other hand the french pressings didnt sound nice ,compared to german or english pressings . but its truth , some new pressings are in a bad condition ;-)

Comment

• Expiry2011
                    He's going, going... gone.
                    • Mar 2008

Just bought a new record for the first time in a long time
                    Chris McGregor Band - Up To Earth
                    Never issued before - and really too free and wild for me!
                    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

• john stapleton
                      • Jun 2002

Originally posted by mukuta View Post
                      i think in general the pressings where ok
                      but for instance i have the album of sadhu brand on the original label but both copies i have are unplayble one has a nasty bent in the pressing the other is so out of centre my recordplayer cant take it ;-)
                      I have an Australian copy of that LP, OK pressing and much cheaper than the original private US release...
                      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

• Plainstone
                        Lonely Jelly
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Expury70 View Post
                        Just bought a new record for the first time in a long time
                        Chris McGregor Band - Up To Earth
                        Never issued before - and really too free and wild for me!
                        Ooh ... didn't know that had got a vinyl release! Wonder if they gave Very Urgent the same treatment.
                        https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                        http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                        https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                        https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

• Headless mermaid
                          Chocolate Rain
                          • Mar 2005

This week I thought about blowing some store credit on a Hank Mobley 'Dippin' re-issue but it made me feel som empty inside that I resisted.
                          LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

• mp3000
                            Electric Prunes
                            • Jul 2008

Anything released by Ashtray Navigations is great psych for late-night listening.But you have to be quick as they tend to vanish as fast as they come out.

Comment

• Expiry2011
                              He's going, going... gone.
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
                              Ooh ... didn't know that had got a vinyl release! Wonder if they gave Very Urgent the same treatment.
                              Haven't seen it, if there is
                              Although I think its got a CD reissue
                              I'd say that Up To Earth is much more difficult than Very Urgent
                              Missed out on a copy on the bay recently - someone sniped me at the last moment
                              And I wasn't about to shell our a ton for the one I saw in Rays
                              Still there'll be another
                              "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Working...
                              X