Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vision - ON

Why? WHY NOT?

John Hurt goes avant garde, from 'THE SHOUT'.

Arrow

WARNING: THIS MUSIC MAY TAKE OVER YOUR MIND AND MAKE YOU DO STUFF.

Finally, here's a little film I made about a dream I had in 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
    Here's a clip from 'Violent Playground' that Beatfreak might like. Look out for Freddie Starr and Melvyn Hayes.

I recently wrote about it here.
    Excellent.

"I'm not going to run, I'm not going to dance." Class dialogue.

Why? WHY NOT?
    I never knew Peter played Ronnie Scotts back in the day...

;-)

WARNING: THIS MUSIC MAY TAKE OVER YOUR MIND AND MAKE YOU DO STUFF.

Blimey - that's not quite how I remember the Tomorrow People...

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlim View Post
    Blimey - that's not quite how I remember the Tomorrow People...
    That has reminded me how much I loathed Mike Holloway/Flintlock. They were bloody EVERYWHERE at one point. It was a dark day when Holloway joined the Tomorrow People - him and Pauline Quirke ruined telly for me.
    Drastically reduced to 72p

These clips are brilliant! Where's that super daft 'prog disco' one from? That old dude is crazy!

It's from a film called 'Mondo Freudo'. The original music was a bit 'meh', so I replaced it.

Two more clips added - this time from the small screen:

26. Mission: Impossible (mid 1960s) - a groovy psychedelic club scene featuring the mad jazz talents of Don Ellis. The go-go dancers make a reasonable attempt at dancing to it

27. The Champions (mid 1960s) - voodoo cabaret anyone? Alexandra Bastedo takes in the afro-drums and voodoo magic in this sequence...

Not sure where to put this - but here is probably as good a place as any.

A montage of moods I put together for a forthcoming 7" release.

28. Microdots & Moonbeams

Last edited by SirSlim; 03-07-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Not sure where to put this - but here is probabaly as good a place as any.

A montage of moods I put together for a forthcoming 7" release.

28. Microdots & Moonbeams

Cheers
    Great track and really cool images to accompany it - I particularly liked the snatches of 60s London
    When will it be in the shops?
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Great stuff, SS. Loving the 'Sebastian' clips, 'tis a favourite of mine, and the track is super.

Thanks for your comments chaps - in the shops "soon" is all I can say at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Expiry2011 View Post
    Cheers Great track and really cool images to accompany it - I particularly liked the snatches of 60s LondonWhen will it be in the shops?
    The release is now scheduled in for October 22nd! And on video clip front - I have unearthed a few "scratch videos" that I made back in the 80s which I may post up on here soon.

Three more bits and pieces:

29. Not Only..But Also (early 1960s) - Dudley Moore takes his piano to the cleaners in this great opening sequence. The fact that the BBC didn't keep all these shows is a terrible shame...

30. McCoy Tyner's "my favorite things" piano solo - This majestic piano solo from Tyner is a thing of beauty - back in 1987 I was so obsessed with it that I made this video. Apologies for the sound/image quality in places but the original betamax tape has taken a bit of a hammering over the years.

31. Expression, emotion, passion - My home made dub version of "sucker mcs" by Run-DMC made in 1984 with accompanying scratch video put together in 1985 - I think this highlights my fixation with "The Prisoner" at that time fairly well...

I've rather neglected this chart for a while, so to make amends here are a few more clips:

32. The Jazz Room - WAG Club - Paul Murphy

It was 30 years ago and there I was at the WAG club (as usual) for DJ Paul Murphy's Monday night Jazz Room session when in walked a BBC camera crew toting their 16mm film cameras and assorted lights - this segment from the "Whistle Test" was the result...

A couple of sequences from the Italian film "Una Bella Grinta" featuring a great jazz score from Piero Umiliani - first clip is "treno di notte"

33. Una Bella Grinta (1965) - Piero Umiliani

Another long gap since the last update, so here are two of my favourite documentary films on latin jazz, the first on Machito features incredible footage of the dancers at the legendary Palladium ballroom as well as Tito Puente, Tito Rodriguez and other giants of the scene.

The second film has some fabulous raw live footage including Charlie Palmieri attacking his keyboard with gusto and my favourite bit comes towards the 11 minute mark when we see the awesome Ray Barretto playing at a wedding, good to know that even my musical heroes do the occasional wedding gig ...

34. Machito - A Latin Jazz Legacy

35.The Latin Music of New York and Puerto Rico

[B]34. Machito - A Latin Jazz Legacy
    ]
    I love the bit after 10 minutes where the pianist goes off on one and he has to give him a nudge.

Recently found this clip of Machito and his sister Graciela performing some pure smut.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    I love the bit after 10 minutes where the pianist goes off on one and he has to give him a nudge.

Recently found this clip of Machito and his sister Graciela performing some pure smut.

Me too. That's the Benny More combo in full flight - awesome.

Liked that Machito clip - towards the end of the Machito docu there is a great excerpt from a Japanese TV programme from the 60s showing Machito doing a storming version of "cuban fantasy" - very similar to the version on this Lp:

Oh and here's that Benny More tune in full:

36. Mongo Santamaria and Ann-Margret

More latin goodness - this time from the film "Made in Paris" from 1966 - featuring Mongo's great combo - giving Ann-Margret the chance to tear up the dancefloor...

Another long gap since the last update, so here are two of my favourite documentary films on latin jazz, the first on Machito features incredible footage of the dancers at the legendary Palladium ballroom as well as Tito Puente, Tito Rodriguez and other giants of the scene.
    Finally! I thought i'd never see this again, I can forget about finding that old VHS that somebody 'borrowed'...Big thanks Slim!

Quote Originally Posted by diggerdumper View Post
    Finally! I thought i'd never see this again, I can forget about finding that old VHS that somebody 'borrowed'...Big thanks Slim!
    I was about to upload my copy from Betamax tape (with the last 10 minutes missing ) only to find that someone had relatively recently done the honours and uploaded the whole doc.

Sometime ago I was contemplating uploading the 4-part "Arena" special on the amazing Slim Gaillard from my Betamax recordings (even episode 3 which is missing the last 5 minutes thanks to the live bowls on BBC2 that night overrunning...) but I never did get round to it, no matter now as all 4 episodes are now on youtube!

Slim Gaillard, what can you say about possibly the hippest man ever to have walked the earth? Watch Slim himself take you through his amazing life... Vout!

They don't make TV programmes like this anymore unfortunately...

37. "Arena": 4-part special on Slim Gaillard

Marvellous, Thanks for posting these Sirslim.

G
    Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
    stage dancing friend Emoro.

Your namesake! Fantastic stuff, thanks G**n

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    Marvellous, Thanks for posting these Sirslim.

G
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    Your namesake! Fantastic stuff, thanks G**n
    Glad to have been of service chaps.

Back in the 80s I found myself playing records at the Monday Jazz Room at the WAG - and I shamelessly dropped this as Slim Gaillard was in the house that night:

After my set finished the great man himself came over to shake my hand and thanks me for playing his record! Such was the measure of the man...