Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the holy grail of soundtracks?

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (sermad @ Sep. 02 2004,17:08)]themack. are you american?
    Or are you a Republican?

'You're either with us or your with the Ray Davies fans.'

I remember a similar escalation in tensions happening the last time Superfly was mentioned. I suggest it becomes the unmentionable LP on VV.

There was almost a riot at the brillo that followed...

Quote[/b] (sermad @ Sep. 02 2004,17:08)]themack. are you american?
    young patrick is the resident youngbuck who wants to sit at the grown ups table.

It's sad because I see a lot of me in the_mack but without the need to impress my opinion & knowledge on others.

and sermad, yeah we gotta claim responsibility. He's one of us...

but he's on the east coast

question is, why is superfly so good?

was it down to Mayfield, for the songs, or Pate, for the brilliant arrangements?
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

I got Short Eyes recently, that has its moments.

You could probably make a good comp of Curtis' soundtrack moments.

My bet is on the_mack being exactly like the scrawny white youth in that Offspring video. What's American for chav?

Personally, I've no problem when the debate gets heated, but I'd rather the participants were equally matched in terms of intellect and vocabulary. Innit?
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

I'd really like a copy of negresco. And Five dolls for an august moon would be a dream come true.
    Countdown at Kusini has appeared often on ebay lately, anybody know what it's commanding these days?
    Anyone got a spare copy of Loot?

Quote[/b] (wayne @ Sep. 02 2004,17:11)]Or at the very least the Rediffusion Allstars version of Freddie's Dead.
    nice putt!

kusini Ive seen from ÂŁ175-ÂŁ250. ouch.

loot Ive not seen one in about 6 months. There is the 45 on ebay now but its the vocal tracks which not many people like. Undertake song is the killer.

Quote[/b] (sermad @ Sep. 02 2004,19:42)]kusini Ive seen from ÂŁ175-ÂŁ250. ouch.
    even a bit higher than that just recently
    I'm just an addict, addicted to music, maybe it's a habit, I gotta use it

The Coogan’s Bluff boot is pretty rare, but as theeman mentioned, it really is appalling quality. It was released on Temple with Coogan’s on one side and ‘The General with the Cock-Eyed ID’ by Jerry Goldsmith on the flip.

The biggest disappointment is that it does not contain the main tune in the film ‘Pigeon Toed Orange Peel’ that was incidentally covered by the James Taylor Quartet.

As for rares, I would definitely put Colpo Rovente by Piero Piccinoi up there. Absolutely outstanding psych jazz soundtrack. Been trying to find the OG (RCA Italy) for years to no avail. You can get your copy courtesy of Easy Tempo though! The title cut is simply menacing and you get four alt. takes. Lovely.

I would also add LÂ’Arcidiavlo by Trovojoli and Femina Ridens by Stelvio Cipriani, whose cover art canÂ’t be beat (try Johnny Trunks review archive for a glimpse).

found this today, obviously a cd-r boot of the original score. this kinda shit is really depressing.

kusini is a really good record by the way. for me, well worth the hype (much better than, say, Lialeh). it's very well recorded and the pressings are good. manu didn't know that it had been released - board regular Teddy Rosso showed it to him at a gig a couple of years back and ended up hanging with Manu backstage as a result!

Yeah you did me a cdr of kusini a few years ago and I have to say it is an exceptional record. If you ever get a double I'll trade you easy!

Shall we make a list of the top top top whack ost's that might interest people here?

apres ski
    bare knuckles
    countdown at kusini
    every nigger is a star
    jeremie
    lialeh
    pound

Dunno about 'Jeremie' there Serms.

Absolutely banging it may be. But it doesn't compare with the others in terms of price. Even I've got 2 copies and I'm tight as a crab's arse when it comes to spuffing money on records.

Especially as I've got The Black Keys and Kasabian CDs to buy on Monday!!
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

I'll trade for your jeremie mate. I'm never sure of the price but I really thought this was in the 150+ range.

Quote[/b] ]I'm never sure of the price but I really thought this was in the 150+ range.
    It might hit three figures on a REALLY good day, but those I've seen on the bay normally go around ÂŁ70.

Time to invade Quebec and buy them all up (and some Sloche while we're there).
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ Sep. 01 2004,06:35)]I think the "Caine Mutiny" is the most valuable of these going for around $10,000 or so (but don't quote me)
    Ever since this thread started I thought that some people might be interested in the story behind the Cane Mutiny as it was described at legth in the current edition of California's Record Convention News. The magazine does ot have a website and I couldn't be bothered to type up the lengthy article. But I just found this synopsis online

The August/September 2004, issue of the Record Convention News, a southern California journal for record collectors edited and published by Jim Philbrook, reports that a copy of the legendary Caine Mutiny soundtrack LP was recently made available and sold for $5,000. Ray Peavy, a serious record collector and self-confessed vinyl junkie, acquired his copy via Ebay when the final high bid of the auction closed in the $3,500 range, failed to meet the sellers reserve, and did not sell. Peavy then offered the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania seller $5,000, and became the proud owner of this piece of cinema history and the rarest and most sought after of vintage soundtrack LPs.

Peavy describes his experience in detail in an article entitled, “Eureka! I have Found It!” in the current issue of Record Convention News, which also offers news on record cons around the USA and vinyl (not exclusively soundtrack) collectables in general. RCN editor Philbrook also provides a sidebar article, a “Quick Editorial Primer” on “How Did This Record Get So Rare?” describing the history of this “Holy Grail” for soundtrack collectors.

Philbrook includes an account of the history of the Caine Mutiny LP from a conversation with Caine/RCA Victor producer, Harry Geller: “About 8-10 years ago, this editor spoke with Geller. I was researching something else at the time, but he told me the real story,” (behind the Caine Mutiny LP). “Mr. Geller had to get the album signed off by the composer of the score and others involved including Herman Wouk, the author of the original book." Philbrook states that Wouk felt that the recording (which includes dialogue excerpts from the film) would hurt movie attendance and book sales if it came out and refused to give his release of the LP version. This killed the LP completely and RCA Victor then destroyed “all” copies that had been pressed at the point. Philbrook adds that “a very few survived obviously, but so few that The Caine Mutiny has become the Holy Grail of movie soundtrack collectors.”

Another version of the story speculates that Max Steiner was unhappy with the recorded sound and nixed the recording, but Philbrook comments that GellerÂ’ s story was later verified by another authority on soundtrack LPs and assumes that the producerÂ’s version is the true story behind the making of this rarest of soundtrack collectibles.

The issue features a cover photo of Mr. Peavy proudly displaying his newfound treasure. Philbrook concludes his article by offering his congratulations to the lucky collector who apparently got something of a bargain as well, since The Caine Mutiny appears as the #1 Money Record in the 2nd edition of the Official Price Guide to Movie/TV Soundtracks and Original Cast Recordings which lists a suggested price of $10,000, and describes it as “one of music collecting’s two or three most priceless records of any type.”

No comments were offered in either of the RCN articles on SteinerÂ’ s musical score itself.

The bi-monthly Record Convention News is distributed free in California, but is also available through mail subscriptions at varying international rates.

Editor Jim Philbrook can be reached at jimph59@lycos.com

Ross Care, California

Anyone know anything about this "operation san pietro", I heard somewhere it's sposed to be good and a tough one to find? I think the "Swingle [?] Sisters" were mentioned, but I may have just imagined the whole thing...
    For folks sake!

Not really a 'grail' but fairly obscure/interesting is Jerry Goldsmith's 'Breakheart Pass' OST, released (somewhat dubiously) on Poo records a Japanese label in 1975.
    Go on wit'cha bad elf

Just to add my tuppence worht to this thread -

On of my favourite OST's of all-time is Roy Budd's mighty 'Diamonds' score. A classic and deservedly so, I think. Keith Mansfield's 'LOOT' OST was a bit fo a letdown IMHO - 'The Undertaker's Song' is pretty weak. Keith's KPM material in this style from the same period is much, much strongerI reckon.

Wouldn't mind a copy of Chris Gunning's 'Goodbye Gemini' score - never heard it but it sounds great, can anyone on here describe the music please?
    A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

goodbye gemini is a goodie. not amazing but very good and definitely big, brassy and KPM-style funky. there's one very groovy instrumental with flute ('house boat party', 'apparently been sampled) and several good funky vocal tracks, maybe by the peddlers? anyway, it's similar in style to, say, Loot with more groove and less rock.

it used to be tough to find but not impossible, as there were UK and Oz pressings. I haven't seen one for sale in a couple of years. it was originally around a 30 quid record, then when funk dealers found it it shot up to twice that. don't know what it goes for now.

it was chris gunning's first score (he was 19) and he was terrified of the director!

cameron, do you make it to the brillo nights? i could bring it down next week if you do.

Quote[/b] (Cameron @ Sep. 09 2004,08:28)]Just to add my tuppence worht to this thread -

On of my favourite OST's of all-time is Roy Budd's mighty 'Diamonds' score. A classic and deservedly so, I think. Keith Mansfield's 'LOOT' OST was a bit fo a letdown IMHO - 'The Undertaker's Song' is pretty weak. Keith's KPM material in this style from the same period is much, much strongerI reckon.
    A cheap and easy to find one in a slightly similar vein is O Lucky Man.

Or Meilleur Des Mondes Possible as it seems to be in French - same sleeve apart from the words though.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

I have to admint this

I payed loads of cash for "l'homme d'orchestre" lp (de roubaix ) .... the most i ever spend

It was on my want list for ever..... had to sell many records on ebay for it

And Steve....Was it worth it???????

I remember you saying when I was in Brussels that this was your top want.

Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Sep. 09 2004,18:38)]And Steve....Was it worth it???????

I remember you saying when I was in Brussels that this was your top want.
    yes it was for me ...

I've been looking for it... since I started collecting ..

I had a cd but it's not the same

the big $$$ would come out for certain italian pieces for sure. no way Im going to find them under a box of taps in rimini or something!

Thumbs up

Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 09 2004,09:37)]goodbye gemini is a goodie. not amazing but very good and definitely big, brassy and KPM-style funky. there's one very groovy instrumental with flute ('house boat party', 'apparently been sampled) and several good funky vocal tracks, maybe by the peddlers? anyway, it's similar in style to, say, Loot with more groove and less rock.
    I think it was the Peddlers, certainly was on "Tell The World We're Not In", which they subsequently released as a 45...
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

once all the rich old guys have shuffled off this mortal coil, then give it another 10-20 years and i bet a stack of the beaty OST stuff will get up into Caine Mutiny territory. there are many private pressed USA, Italian, Jap etc records that are very likely as rare as Caine, just not sought after right now by people with 10K to spend.