Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NRR: Autographs

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    EDIT: Geez I've just realised that was from nearly 20 years ago, seems like yesterday!
    Over 20 .... nearly 22 surely?

"it's a nugget if you dug it"
    galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Good one

Haha, Maths was never my strongest suit, 22, youv'e made it worse!

I believe in Deavids Magick before I believe in Geller's Bullshit, keys are hard apparently but the right ones can be bent by hand or using a table least that's what I hear. but that is one crazy ass story though, a suitcase full of money rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by bradx View Post
    Over 20 .... nearly 22 surely?

"it's a nugget if you dug it"

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    I believe in Deavids Magick before I believe in Geller's Bullshit, keys are hard apparently but the right ones can be bent by hand or using a table least that's what I hear. but that is one crazy ass story though, a suitcase full of money rofl.
    I suspect the keys were ringers and somehow planted. Nobody knew whose they were or where they came from.
    From my passing them to him, to the 'bending', was a matter of less than 5 seconds - it was so immediate and no force was applied beyond a gentle touch. I was 2 feet away.
    It's a mystery - but not an enormous one - he's a magician.

Similarly - the money must also have been his. It was 'found' (with appended mysterious back-story) merely to generate publicity imo. He asked to ring the police and was on the phone but no police arrived.... from memory anyway. It's a long time ago. Like a lot of (all?) magicians he gave off that creepy mix of superiority, arrogance, contempt, aloofness, charisma and enormous self-confidence.

Happy New Year anyway! To celebrate here's one from a Dame.

What are the birds on the Radio Sussex badge?
    BW wins the prize for the most elaborate T I think I've ever seen. Her B is pretty impressive too.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    What are the birds on the Radio Sussex badge?
    BW wins the prize for the most elaborate T I think I've ever seen. Her B is pretty impressive too.
    The birds are martlets - similar to a swift or swallow (or house martin, where the name originates I think) - but missing feet. It's a heraldry thing.
    There's some Susssex connection - a shopping cente in Burgess Hill is called The Martlets for instance.

BW was charming but remote ... on auto-pilot after doing x thousand boring local radio interviews in her life.

Picked this up at Utrecht this year. I got some money knocked off because "someone" had written all over the labels Luckily, the seller couldn't find his glasses, or else he might have clocked what I had already sussed. Both sides of this Kim Fowley produced Fuzz stormer, fully autographed by all band members. I spotted Steve Hoard and brother David first of all, so thought I was onto something. Checked when I got back to UK. Bingo! Greg Eckler and Steve Hoard were later in The Light, who recorded Back Up, another of my fave garage 45s I have. Ithink there may be a Misunderstood connection with the Bush 45 but it could be my memory playing tricks on me. I remember now. Kim Fowley said in an interview that the pedal steel guitar part was played by Glen Ross Campbell. In actual fact, Steve Hoard had seen The Misunderstood a couple of weeks previous to the recording of the 45, and was so inspired by GRC, that he went out and bought one, which he played on the 45. Phew! Got there. After he produced this, KF brought some copies of it to the UK. While here, he recorded the 1st Soft Machine 45 among others. A cool link between 2 great 45s.
    I wonder if the band sold them at their gigs, or if someone just brought it along?

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by treeboy; 01-01-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Once again, the old grey matter ain't what it used to be

The signature is in silver ink and doesn't look that good in the pic - but quite good on the actual album.

Last edited by bradx; 03-01-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Yep, the words: 'Frogs' 'as' 'a' 'mad' 'box' 'of' when speaking of the Geller. After a horrid New Years Eve though your Uri story cheered me up no end. I've read and watched quite a it about him over the years and can just picture the whole thing unfolding its exactly the kind of thing he would do!

I do agree he is a good magician and takes what experts in the field would probably term 'simple tricks' to another level with all his crazy hoodoo. I Used to have a mate who who could take him off to a tee! 'look look its bending, but its not hot, feel it, it's cold' lol

Sounds like you have some Uri like powers yourself going on there Brad!

There's some great autographs turning up on this thread I even have to admit I'm ever so slightly jealous of 'Harold Smart'

I'm glad this thread has provided some cheer on a less than satisfactory NYE. I'm not a fan of the season .... I can think of two good NYEs in my life. The rest ..... ugh.
    Me and the missus were in bed by 9pm and lights out by 10. That's how we roll these days. I'm not a drinker anymore either - so parties are completely out for me.

Especially for New Year's Day here's an upbeat message from Afrika Bambaataa. No particular story attached to this one. I was in the office late one night and some hip hop presenters brought this guy in .... they introduced him to me as Afrika Bambaataa... so being a bit of an autograph whore I got his signature on a bit of scrap paper.

Nice, no my wife in her post-operative medicated up to the eyeballs state decided it would be OK to let my 18 year old step son invite some friends over to in his words 'Play some Board Games, XBOX and have a few beers with a some mates' or that weird flavoured cider shit they seem to drink these days.

Suffice to say the night did not go as he planned it, with a teenager throwing his guts up outside my front door and dozens of empty cans and bottles I was left to recycle at 1:30 am this morning after they upped and left to go to a takeaway.

For someone who like yourself hasn't drank for sometime wasn't the best way to spend an evening.

Bloody hell! What happened to burning the candle at both ends? Ending the year on a high note? Seeing in the new one as you mean to rock on throughout the following year?...........Yep! In bed asleep by 10.45 Wide awake at midnight.....poxy fireworks!
    Up at 6 smiling at my frosty garden though

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Bloody hell! What happened to burning the candle at both ends? Ending the year on a high note? Seeing in the new one as you mean to rock on throughout the following year?...........Yep! In bed asleep by 10.45 Wide awake at midnight.....poxy fireworks!
    Up at 6 smiling at my frosty garden though

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy
    Bloody hell! What happened to burning the candle at both ends? Wide awake at midnight.....poxy fireworks!
    Same thing here ..... woke at midnight with a lot of banging (of the firework variety) until about 1 ... then managed a fitful sleep until 5 which is par for the course these days. Dreamed about Dave Brock for some reason.

Amidar .... sorry to hear about your wife, hope all gets better.
    Teenagers and their traditions eh. We've all done it I'm sure. I seem to remember my entry into 1980 from 79 was a whiteout blur of weed, pernod and vomit.
    Last edited by bradx; 03-01-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Yep similar story, I guess its a bit of penance, I've been to much more worse parties and ended up in some quite dangerous places so this was rather tame thankfully, even so... Yep I've tried Kratom myself doesn't half make you constipated mind you. Yep this new bill is 'back of fag packet stuff' as much of these things are. Dont get me started on the World Health Organisation and pharmaceutical companies.

I'll pass on your good wishes to the wife.

Same thing here ..... woke at midnight with a lot of banging (of the firework variety) until about 1 ... then managed a fitful sleep until 5 which is par for the course these days. Dreamed about Dave Brock for some reason.

I used to drink quite happily .... well, I had 15 years good drinking... then 5 bad ones ha ha. That was the end of that.
    I drink kratom tea now and again - but they're making it illegal this year (probably) as part of the Psychoactive Substances bill. Bastards. Its my only relief from terminal anxiety. Ha ha oh well, I suppose it will save me some money (which I can spend on records).

Amidar .... sorry to hear about your wife, hope all gets better.
    Teenagers and their traditions eh. We've all done it I'm sure. I seem to remember my entry into 1980 from 79 was a whiteout blur of weed, pernod and vomit.

I swapped a white label 12" of House of Love's Christine for this signed copy of Swamp Thing 35 (The Nukeface Papers). At the time (about 88) I thought it was a rough deal (for me) as HoL were quite big back then.
    But now of course I don't give a shit about House of Love (who does?) - whilst still being a big Alan Moore fan. So I consider I came out of this one very well.

I went down to the Brighton Top Rank one afternoon to interview Julian Cope, about 1987. I was there early and had to hang around. Eventually Cope turned up - with some bloke from a rival radio station in tow.
    To my annoyance they went off to do the interview .... leaving me sitting on my own in the empty venue, wasting my time.

The Southern Sound bloke came down eventually and went off - looking a bit unhappy. I was sent up to this weird little dressing room high up some steep stairs. It was completely empty apart from a chair that Cope was sitting on. He wouldn't even look at me or say anything, he just looked really glum. I took it that the last interview was a failure. It was during his drug years too - so he was probably hopelessly out of it

I turned on my little Uher reel-to-reel and tried to get the interview started. Cope still wouldn't look at me but he did grunt a few syllables.
    I got round to the subject of garage punk and mentioned the Texas Flashbacks series. His manager Cally has reissued these comps recently on his Antar label. Can't remember if I knew this at the time or if it was a lucky strike.

For the first time Cope turned round to look at me, suddenly animated. He said "oh yeah? What's your favourite track then?". Instantly I replied "So Sophisticated by The Lavender Hour"!
    Cope jumped out of his chair and started singing the song in the empty dressing room, dancing about with glee.
    From then on the interview went great.

I got him to sign my copy of Psychedelic Unknowns and he filled in his old address in Tamworth for me... as though it was his own copy.

A few weeks later there was an anti-cruelty protest outside the dolphinarium in Brighton. Julian Cope was there (along with Tommy Boyd if I remember).
    I went down with my tape recorder to get a bit of comment. I tried to remind Cope about our previous encounter - but he just gave me a glazed and quizzical look. He didn't remember me at all. Oh well. It was a good interview anyway and I still have it on reel-to-reel (one of the very few that survive from the era).

That Lavender Hour tune is a good 'un. A bit Neanderthal, the harmonies seem out of place with that continuous fuzz grinding away and the bass pumping in the background. Good 2 sided 45. I like the Chesterfield Kinds snotty version of the flip.

Great story, I remember Tommy Boyd from my childhood of course but he used to have a great show on 'Talk Radio' before it got took over by that cunt 'Kelvin McKenzie' for a while and became 'Talksport'. They let him do a wrestling show on it after the change over for a while which I never listened to but was extremely popular he obviously spotted something which was becoming huge at the time, of course K@@v@n (cant even say his name) took all the credit.

He went off to some southern radio station after that as you probably know being in the bizz but an underrated DJ in my book used to have me in tears of laughter on his 'Talk Radio' show.

Hey yeah - I used to like Talk Radio before it became Talk Sport. I liked the Anna Raeburn problem phone-ins. Some of those .... I was glued to my set. In fact - I have some on minidisc that I recorded.

Tommy Boyd was picketing the dolphinarium .... I talked to him and he said he was guilty because one of his first jobs was working there.

TB - embarrasingly I don't know the flip of that tune.... or the C Kings version. Most of my 'knowledge' comes from compilations. If it ain't on a comp then I probably don't know it.
    So Sophisticated as you say is a weird blend ... I like the fuzz/harmony mix. They tried for a commercial sound but couldn't back it out of the garage.
    Last edited by bradx; 03-01-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Haha yeah I remember Anna Raeburn's show and Dr David Starkey's bizarre Drivetime show before he became as hated as he is these days, totally bizarre.

I don't remember the character you refer to but I remember a segment on his show he did about those 'Holy Fish' you get on the back of cars and he had this guy on trying to explain to him that it was that Jesus was a fisherman and a fisher of men and all this malarkey. All I remember was Tommy Boyd going all Paxman and just kept saying 'So its a God Cod then?' over and over, fella was fuming!

Classic radio!! Why ever did they turn the whole thing over to sport - total turn-off for me, never listened again.

I remember Tommy Boyd responding to one caller who claimed to be a 'nihilist'. Tommy asked him if he knew what the Russian nihilists did in 1916. The caller said 'no' so Tommy told him to come back when he'd found out. Do you know what .... I've never found out either. What DID the Russian nihilists do in 1916? He made it sound pretty bad.
    Doing some research it appears the 1860s saw the birth of the Russian nihilists ... so maybe my memory is faulty and he said 1860.
    Anyway - it was surprising what you could glean from TB's show.

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    Got these signed the other day, shame his attitude is worse than his signature!

That's fly, Sayers!

Strange one, he had a way with winding people up. I remember a show he did on bodybuilding (think his father was one) and how it was the perfect display of human perfection and such like. He almost had me believing him by the end. Yeah I loved that show but kind of associate it with a really terrible job I had at the time. lol

Talksport not as bad these days since Moz Dee took over and got rid of some of the right-wing political phone-ins etc and made it all sport. Something I put on in the car as an easy listen when in a non musical mood. Whoever does the theme tunes for the shows over their must have a copy of 'The Best of British Library Music' or something!

Classic radio!! Why ever did they turn the whole thing over to sport - total turn-off for me, never listened again.

I remember Tommy Boyd responding to one caller who claimed to be a 'nihilist'. Tommy asked him if he knew what the Russian nihilists did in 1916. The caller said 'no' so Tommy told him to come back when he'd found out. Do you know what .... I've never found out either. What DID the Russian nihilists do in 1916? He made it sound pretty bad.
    Doing some research it appears the 1860s saw the birth of the Russian nihilists ... so maybe my memory is faulty and he said 1860.
    Anyway - it was surprising what you could glean from TB's show.

Hey - check it out .... youtube has a bunch of old Tommy Boyd Talkradio shows .... here's one on why Monty Python isn't funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm7BALadG5c
    But there's tons more - sidebar has a selection (on my screen anyway).

To keep this thread on topic - here's Leslie Crowther and Dickie Henderson

Last edited by bradx; 03-01-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Haha, blimey 'Leslie Crowther' thanks for the YouTube link will check that out. I seem to remember a few years ago there was a website that had an archive of some of his shows (Tommy Boyd that is not Leslie Crowther!).

Now I'm listening to it I remember he used to do the 'Nice Hour' on Friday afternoons where you'd have to do or say something nice and ring in and tell him about it.

Not a big autograph hunter, but might just ask Fred Williamson to sign my Black Caesar vinyl and Death Journey VHS at Blodig Weekend Festival in Copenhagen next month. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Headless mermaid View Post
    Not a big autograph hunter, but might just ask Fred Williamson to sign my Black Caesar vinyl and Death Journey VHS at Blodig Weekend Festival in Copenhagen next month. ..
    Im a big fan of Fred Williamson, I got his autograph through the mail a year or two ago.
    See, you don't get those haircuts on your mp3s.

Quote Originally Posted by spirito santo View Post
    Im a big fan of Fred Williamson, I got his autograph through the mail a year or two ago.
    Nice. He has more attitude than most. Some golden interviews on YouTube.