Thread: Mr Grumpy (Also known as Expury70) does the Charity Shop Challange

Default Mr Grumpy (Also known as Expury70) does the Charity Shop Challange

Have you ever had one of those days when you just wake up in a bad mood? When nothing will lift the cloud that hangs over your head? When you are just like a grumpy old bear all day?
    That's today for me.

I sat at my desk and tried to work. But my mind wondered. Then I got an email from someone who I had been doing some freelance work saying that I they would not renew my contract as they were making cuts. Grrrrrr.

Suddenly I didn't feel like work. Maybe the charity shop challange would cheer me up. I have a ten pound note in the pocket of my shorts. But where were my shorts? As I looked round the house I heard the washing machine. My tenner was getting laundered. Grrrrr.

Into the car and off. I decided to go to somewhere where I have always found interesting thing. Sunny Suburban Surbiton.

But no sooner had I got onto the A3 then the traffic ground to a halt. I pulled off the road and tried a back route and got completely lost. Grrrrrr.

Finally I made it into Surbiton, parked the car and set off. As I got to the first charity shop I pulled out my camera and noticed the red battery light. Suddenly I remembered my wife telling me that the battery was almost flat. Must listen to my wife more. Grrrrrrrr

Apologies for not having any more photos.

So off we go with the challange and starting off at the Children's Society

In one corner there is a plie of vinyl. Mostly classical and Johnny Mathis but I pull out John Keating with the Synthesiser Orchestra. But I leave it - largely because I'm feeling grumpy.

I decide that I will only get stuff I like/want. I'm sick of buying crap that I only have to offload a year later. I make a pact with myself that, even if I have to search all day, I will only buy good stuff

Next off to a favourite spot of mine. The Fircroft Trust. I've found some interesting disco and punk stuff here in the past.

It has some friendly and chatty staff and today was no exception. One of the people started to talk to me about records, asking me what I liked and was clearly in such a good mood that he didn't notice that I was in the world's biggest grump. He brought out a pile of 78s for me to look at and asked me if I was interested in Johnny Mathis as they had just taken in a complete set. But he let me had these for 2.50

From top left to bottom right

Pigbag - Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag
    Pleased to get this on the first pressing on the Y record label. Always liked it
    Billy Taylor - I Wish I Knew
    No prizes for guessing when this was released. You all know it
    The Jam - Absolute Beginners
    Another well-know 45
    The Virgin Prunes - Twenty Tens Their first record. An EP of four tracks, the title track is a great moody, gothic PIL-esque number. The rest makes my head hurt.
    Strawberry Switchblade - Trees and Flowers
    Produced by David Balfe and Bill Drummond, with Roddy Frame on guitars this is soft and gentle and lovely
    Howard Devto - Rainy Season
    A bit like Magazine - its got Dave Formula on it and a bit like Japan and Eno - nice

A good start I thought but nothing came from any of the other shops. No man should have to go through so many Johnny Mathis records

I had hoped that Surbiton would provide everything I needed but alas it was not to be.

So back in the car and off to New Malden - home of Korean restaurants and shops and a number of charity shops I'd pulled some good stuff from in the past.

First stop

They were having a two for one deal so I came out with:

Bauhaus - Ziggy Stardust
    Not sure why doomy goth-mongers Bauhaus chose to release a Bowie cover as a single. It doesn't do them or Bowie justice. But the B Side is a killer Eno track which I love
    The The - Heartland
    Used to have this at school. Love it still

Nothing in the next shop

But my luck was about to turn.

Lurking behind some Johnny Mathis records I found these:

Elisabeth Waldo - Realm of the Incas
    I love a good bit of exotica me and this is very good. I have no idea if this is the sort of thing that the Incas listened to - but I doubt it. Part orchestral pop, part pan-pipes, part Spanish guitar. The first track even has some Morricone-like whistling. Result
    Dr Who- The Music
    Always wanted the Dr Who theme music and now I've got it. The more 'modern' 80s stuff isn't as good as the earlier stuff
    Wendy Carlos - Switched on Bach II
    Who doesn't like Wendy/Walter Carlos on Moog??

All for the princely sum of 3

Now I've spent a fiver

Next door is:

And it was here that I found

The African Unity Band - Uhuru - The Freedon Drums of Africa
    On Saga so you know its an exploito-fest. Claims to be Highlife but it isn't really. But I am liking it very much indeed

Various - Film Hits of 1976
    Bollywood film music. You'd pick it up for the cover alone. Unfortunately having listened to the music the cover is the best bit

Each was two pounds. So we're now up to the magic tenner

And Mr Grumpy returns to Expury70 who is smiling all the way home

The CSH wins again
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Expury70 View Post
    Dr Who- The Music - Always wanted the Dr Who theme music and now I've got it. The more 'modern' 80s stuff isn't as good as the earlier stuff.
    Well now you just cheer up Mr Grumpy because I reckon this was a steal for a quid. Always see this sell for proper money, never cheap... Well done you.

... Just don't listen to The The when you're down. Althought Matt Johnson was one of my favourite songwriters of the 80's, his gear never helps take the blues away.
    "Sometimes I get a hot ear..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sie Vulture View Post

... Just don't listen to The The when you're down. Althought Matt Johnson was one of my favourite songwriters of the 80's, his gear never helps take the blues away.
    Disagree - I always try to bang on a bit of this The The 5am number in public near the end of the night if I get change no matter what style the evening is - classic if ever there was one

full Brucy bonus for the 7s listed... strawberry switchblade - Current 93 lass goes pop (although its not since yesterday with the sunday morning number on the flip) - - Prunes and all

this rocks phat ones too -
    Last edited by MPFlapp; 05-07-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MPFlapp View Post
    Disagree - I always try to bang on a bit of this The The 5am number in public near the end of the night if I get change no matter what style the evening is - classic if ever there was one
    Ah ha, OK there J, you got me fella...( )... I'll be honest and say I tried to guess which track you'd picked before clicking on the link... I guessed this, but I assume that, like the rest of us, you've not quite got over the fact that old Mr 'My Boogie Woogie Piano Gonna Ruin Your Live Set Now Just Watch Me' Jools Holland himself played on this...
    Last edited by Sie Vulture; 05-07-2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: bad spelling plus found better quality link...

Default Sorry...

I apologise for this The The related invasion of the CSC thread, as you were.

old Mr 'My Boogie Woogie Piano Gonna Ruin Your Live Set Now Just Watch Me' Jools Holland himself played on this...
    I'd forgot this fact - - agreed on the apology to Mr Grumpy (Also known as Expury70) - top finds

I am slightly embarassed to admit that I bought the Virgin Prunes, Devoto and Strawberry Switchblade singles as new releases during my short-lived post-punk phase when I was about 17 /18... was all to do with trying to cop off with girls at art school...

Good scores. Will have to do mine this week.
    Last edited by son of stan; 06-07-2010 at 01:08 AM.
    Endless Tripe

some nice finds and a good read exbury70
    sorry to disagree but i really like the Bauhaus track,
    TheThe is a top tune as well
    I actually picked up the Matt Johnson lp - Burning Blue Soul, from the booter last sunday

A brave attempt in the face of life's adversity.
    Don't knock Mr mathis! There are some decent tracks on 'mathis magic' and 'alone again'! I think Gene page was involved.
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

I've wanted to hear that Elizabeth Waldo for a while, nicely done.

Hope it cheered you up!
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Ah ha, OK there J, you got me fella...( )... I'll be honest and say I tried to guess which track you'd picked before clicking on the link... I guessed this, but I assume that, like the rest of us, you've not quite got over the fact that old Mr 'My Boogie Woogie Piano Gonna Ruin Your Live Set Now Just Watch Me' Jools Holland himself played on this...
    Try the 12in of Uncertain Smile - much much better and no bloody Holland

Quote Originally Posted by eclectiktronik View Post
    A brave attempt in the face of life's adversity.
    Don't knock Mr mathis! There are some decent tracks on 'mathis magic' and 'alone again'! I think Gene page was involved.
    Now you've just opened up a whole world of Johnny Mathis to me - something else to look out for when I'm out and about

Quote Originally Posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    I've wanted to hear that Elizabeth Waldo for a while, nicely done.

Hope it cheered you up!
    I'm really liking it - if I get a chance I'll post up some clips
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Now you've just opened up a whole world of Johnny Mathis to me - something else to look out for when I'm out and about.
    Evil Ways.

that was a good CSC chap, I hope you've cheered up a bit now

Try the 12in of Uncertain Smile - much much better and no bloody Holland

The Sire release of "Uncertain Smile" that runs for 10mins - US trip $1

Great stuff...nice finds on the Saga label African Drums - never seen that before !....and I would've snarfed that Incas album up too, lovely sleeve !

I picked up 1972 - 78 years in that Bollywood film hits series - patchy, but when good - FANTASTIC !
    "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

www.broadgategnome.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Blimey, you actualy found some interesting looking records Wouldn't mind the Dr. who one myself... and that African Drum one looks good too...
    Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
    www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
    www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Quote Originally Posted by MPFlapp View Post
    The Sire release of "Uncertain Smile" that runs for 10mins - US trip $1
    Maybe we should start a The The appreciation thread