Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brazilian favourates....

Hi,

I would be interested to know from those of you that like Brazilian music what are your three favourite tracks, or LPs? I was prompted to start this topic from a suggestion from Hadrian Elephant on a earlier thread, thanks very much...

Mark GV

Both the Gal Costa S/T lps. Anything by Os Mutantes. And Ive heard bits of the 'Miguel De Deus' lp and loved it.

Thumbs up

My knowledge of Brazilian music is very limited (so welcome Mark&#33 and I could probably count the number of records in my possesion on one hand, but these three are my faves...

Emilio Santiago S/T
    Papete 'Berimbau E Percussao'
    Baden Powell 'Tristeza On Guitar'

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Some Azymuth bits are great too. Didn't they do an OST?

It is impossible for me to list my three favourite Brazilian tunes or LPs, it is always changing.

I can list the three I recently listened to. All top quailty stuff:

"Cala Boca Menino" Nana Caymmi - great version of the Donato killer

"Nao Vou Choarar" Os Diagonais - killer funk (track 2 Sermad) or "bad totp style JB funk" (ladyboygrimsby)

"O Tempo Que Tempo Tem" Eduardo & Silvano - pysch funk rock

I know nowt about Brazilian stuff but here's three I like:

Gal Costa - Tuareg
    Os Mutantes - Baby
    Os Mutantes - Bat Macuda
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

there's so much different sort of stuff

milton banana
    copa 7
    braziian octopus
    quem e quem (donato)
    meirelles
    vitor assis brasil
    ed lincoln
    som 3

Top three tracks would be something like,

Milton Banana Trio - Primitivo

Cesar Mariano - Fabrica (Even though Harris Simon's take of it 'Factory' is rather nice)

Som Tres - Homenagem A Mongo

Other stuff that tickles the taste buds though is of course Elsa Soarez, Joyce, Quarteto Nova, Clare Fischer, Dom Um, Melvin Price etc.

i heard a fat ed lincoln track tuff beats nice jazz it wasnt on his big LP which i cant remember the name of [the one with is it 'cochise'? the big latin choon] it was on another LP on the same lable...mike chadwick played it out, mo beats

Hi

It´s very hard to choose only 3 tunes; among lots of nice tracks, my faves are:

João Donato: Cala a boca, menino
    Marcos Valle: Mentira
    Eduardo Araujo: A mulher (Brown´s Cold sweat cover)
    Elza Soares: Saltei de banda
    Gal: Deus é o amor

((-_-)) The groove is out there ((-_-))

Just a few weeks ago (when it was hot here&#33 I put a home-comp CD together of the funkier early 70s brazil stuff "...that I was feelin" .

I think most of the bits were off those re-issues of the LPs that came out around 93/94...but I've bought a small amount of originals over the years. That "sound" is great - but I'd like to get more recommendations to buy more - cos searching "blind" can be a minefield. So, Mark GV (I recognise that name over the years) - welcome aboard the V V train sir and over to you!

Off the top of my head stuff like: Marcos Valle/Azimuth/Antonio Carlos&Jocafi/Wilson Das Neves/Meireles...I'll stick a tracklisting up tomorrow

Track 13
    Track 17
    Track 23
    Track 25 (ask Left Hand Corner for further details since I haven't got a Scooby)

Then...
    Azymuth - Young Embrace
    Tim Maia - All I Want

There's a really good track on the new Azymuth LP as well called, I think, O Chant.

bugger I didnt get the cd off you either! I promised it to this girl who speaks portugeuse...

Wow,

Such a quick reaction already. I'm a bit caught up at work at the moment, but will reply to some of the questions asked so far later on tonight. Good reaction so far....

Mark GV

Albums:
    Joyce - Tardes Cariocas
    Marcus Valle - Garra
    Gilberto Gil - s/t (1968)

Or possibly the third would be a cheat which is Chick Corea's lp "Return to Forever" which has Flora and Airto all over it. I lvoe their stuff but there is not a single album I owuld choose by them. One of the best fun gigs I ever had was seeing them at Ronnie Scotts, for some reason I had a spare E and I was flying back to Dublin the next day so I took it and sat there grooving on my velvet seat. or you decide.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

jorge ben. marcos valle. trio mocoto. black sugar (well, peruvian, but who's counting) oh yes, azymuth too, they're ace.

I'm gonna go for

Parrilla Caliente - Comencemos [not sure if this is definitely Brazilian actually. Anyone know?]

La Lupe - Fever [Is this on a 45?]

Gerson King Combo - Esse É O Nosso Black Brother

3 favourites among favourites would be these (file under `immortal brazilian songs`):

MARCOS VALLE - azimuth
    MILTON NASCIMENTO - para Lennon e McCartney
    EDU LOBO - upa, neguinho

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (sermad @ Sep. 15 2004,15:07)]Some Azymuth bits are great too. Didn't they do an OST?
    Yes they did a brilliant OST with Marcos Valle called "O Fabuloso Fittipaldi"
    The only sure and foreseeable attribute of human affairs is their unforseeability; hence the trivialility of all the attempts in order to reduce the human action to a single reason, even interest.
    Albert O. Hirschman (The concept of interest: from euphemism to tautology/1986)

Sermad,

Yes, Azimuth did a soundtrack in 1973 of Marcos/Paulo Sergio Valle music called "O Fabuloso Fittipaldi", this was their first record under the group name Azimuth. (they had done a couple of things prior to this together, but not under the group name) They actually asked Marcos Valle if they could use Azimuth for the band name, named after one of the tracks on the album. (Marcos Valle did this track originally on his Mustang LP in 69, also again in 1970 on a Novela (soap) soundtrack)
    They were actually four members of Azimuth up until their second studio album! The fourth member was Ariovaldo Contesini who played percussion. He appeared on Fittipaldi, the 7" ep from 75 & their debut album on Som Livre in 75. (played only as a guest on their 77 Atlantic album)

Tuckfrat,

There is also a Azimuth connection on the Ed Lincoln album you seek! The LP was released on CID in 71-72. (no year on the label) The title is "Orgao e Piano Eletrico" and was arranged by Ed Lincoln & Roberto Bertrami. (Alex - bass & Mamao - drums from Azimuth play on the record as well.
    (that's why there are fat drums and tight bass lines)

Hope this helps! By the way, I have not even put down three records or tracks myself yet!!!
    I will have to think about it, as there are so many and my choices change from year to year as I aquire new stuff. The Arthur Verocai album on Continental has got to be one choice though, pure deepness. (recently reissued by Ubiquity Rec, but not with the gatefold sleeve&#33

Mark GV

I'm a huge fan of brazillian music, but not as knowledgeable as you Mark GV! Went to Brazil about 10 years ago and spent 8 weeks travelling along the East Coast. I definitely want to go back in the near future but I don't suppose that records will be anywhere as easy to find now as they were then. I came back with about 200 LP's and it was all cheap.

My favs are as follows:

Wilson Das Neves - O Som Quente

Joao Donato - Lugar Comum

Gershon King Combo

Tim Maia - Racional Culture Vol1 - Got a spare of this for trade / sale!

Ana Mazotti

Marcos Resende and Index

Tenorio Jnr - Embalo

Wando - Gloria a Deus

Elza Soares - Sambas e Mais - Mas Que Nada from this LP is one of my fav all time tracks of any genre. brings back vivid memories of The No Room for Squares nights where Gilles P and Joe Davis (what ever happened to him) used to play so many cool records. My fav club nights ever!

Miguel de Deus - Black Soul Brothers

Celia - Zoizoi - The original version of the France Gall dancefloor classic, as good if not better.

llmod1,

You listed some good tunes, the original version of "Zozoi" by Celia is a goody. (look out for a new version in French released on an Italian label called Dejavu about 4 months ago, artist is Fabio Nobile with Lorraine Brown and Guido Pistocchi)
    The Wilson Das Neves - Som Quente e o Das Neves has some real grooving tracks, but for me it's all about the library/sountrack vibe of the "Jornada" track! This has such wonderful lush strings and mellow voice arrangments, done by the great arranger Erlon Chaves who has done many a great orchestral score for bossa & soundtrack records in his time. (father of Wilson Simonal, that's why his records have such great swing & orchestra arrangments, also known to have wandering hands in his day!!&#33

Mark GV

Whoever said Marcos Valle's 'Mentira' was spot on, and his 'Garra' LP is a favorite, too.

Gal Costa's first two S/T LPs and 'India', obviously.

But no-one putting in a word for Caetano Veloso's two confusingly S/T late 60s ones, very much out of the same 'Tropicalia' pot as the Gal/Mutantes sets...(I think on the first Mutantes are his band, basically)

His 'Domingo' (with Gal Costa) is one of the loveliest bossa sets I have*, too.

And Tom Ze deserves a mention, even if he's rarely funky in any very obvious way...

*'I have' in these cases meaning reissues & CDs...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Three current + all time favorites from my personal stash..

-Walter Branco: Meu Balanco (killer jazz funk, swinging samba and some axelrod-esque heaviness)

-Danilo Caymmi: Cheiro Verde (incredibly beautiful folk/jazz/bossa tunes)

-Banda Black Rio: Gafeira Universal (classic black rio stuff)

..I think these all have been reissued as well?

..and as a bonus..

Carlos Dafe: Pra Que Vou Recordar (with the massive "De Alegria Raiou O Dia..one of the tunes of the year for me)

I tend to go for the bossa / funk stuff myself, although some of the more folky stuff out of Brazil is totally sublime as well. That Papete lp mentioned earlier is great in that genre..

--

I also love the Brazilian funk sound. Some of my faves are:

Marku (3/4 absolutely wonderful funk tunes on this),

Toni Tornado (I have 2 of his lps from 1971/72 and they are raw, produced at least in part by Dom Salvador)

Dom Salvador, has one top lp recorded in 1970 (?) which every self respecting Brazilian music lover should own

Cry Babies - raw late 60's funk...like a Brazilian Meters/Senior Soul sound

and Finally, Tim Maia Racional vol 2...too good.

I have now run out of names...its early after all.

3 great brasil lps you need:
    Milton nascimento- clube da esquina ( 'Tudo que voce' and the title track are just classic, and after 6 or 7 listens I got into even the folky and rocky ones. Joyce did the best version of 'nada sera como antes' though.
    Paulo Moura- fabrica ( just a solid, end-to-end great brazilian jazz album)
    Tania Maria with Boto and Helio- Via Brasil ( I worship her. No, really, I have set up a small shrine in her honour, I carry her photo around to gaze at when I am downcast).
    Ohne Expedit geht das Abendland unter!!!

Os Brazoes!!!!!!

Three I have selected as landmark albums for me. The first time of listening to these albums mashed up my brain! The musicianship is top of the line, all complete albums for listening to from start to finish...

ARTHUR VEROCAI : IDEM. CONTINENTAL 1972
    Deep orchestral arrangments over Rio Jazz & Minas Gerais music.

CANDEIAS : SAMBAIANA. MEDITERRANEO 1976
    Killer Brazilian bossa/fusion recorded in 1975 in Buenos Aries but only released in Spain & France a year later. (Spanish is better pressing) This is pure class if you like early/mid 70s style fusion, every track is a winner.

AZIMUTH : IDEM. SOM LIVRE 1975
    Debut album from the dons of Brazilian Jazz Fusion, with sublime tracks like Manha, Melo dos dois Bicudos & Brazil. (Manha is what got me in to really digging hard for lesser known stuff from Brazil)

Mark GV

late answer

my faves are:

Airto - Xibaba (starts out sweet vocal (flora) and guitar then an organ break and kicks into a crazy drum & organ battle, you will recognize it)
    Milton Nascimento - Cravo e Canela (the version off Milton rather than Clube de Esquina) although could have been tudo que..., para lennon... , maria maria
    Jorge Ben - Ponta de lana africano (dirtiest afro brasil funk ever)

i was in NYC over the weekend and due to a sick g/f, managed to miss Jorge Ben live!
    doh