Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: time travelling mobile phone salesman in chaplin film?

Default time travelling mobile phone salesman in chaplin film?

anyone read about this in the paper? saw the video on yahoo,i cant see any phone,but sure does look like he/she is talking in a way that would suggest this is what is happening.
    i know there got to some reasonable explanation,maybe they are just a bit looney with a ear itch

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/arti...-premiere.html
    Last edited by smashingcheesegromit; 28-10-2010 at 10:20 PM.

"Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Manchester - U.K where it's damn windy and the weather man always lies!

It's the elite multi-billionaires of super high society, on holiday in time. It's just what they do...

She might well be a time traveller but who would she be talking to? Nobody else had a mobile phone in 1928. And there was no network.

Alternative explanation: she is wearing glasses and just sort of adjusting them.

Edit: Yeah. Watched it again and that's exactly what she's doing. Putting on sunglasses or something. What do I win?
    Last edited by son of stan; 29-10-2010 at 03:29 AM.
    Endless Tripe

Quote Originally Posted by son of stan View Post
    she might well be a time traveller but who would she be talking to? Nobody else had a mobile phone in 1928. And there was no network.
    "yeh...yeh.... I'm in depression era hollywood....yeh ... Its awesome.. Everybodys got hats on and theres horseshit everywhere"
    Ohne Expedit geht das Abendland unter!!!

Someone in the comments suggests it's a dictaphone! Hahahaha

Here's a bloke using a mobile phone in Victorian times!

THANKIN U V KINDLY 4 LETTING ME SWP YR CHIMBLEY SIR . LUMME ITS OT UP HERE BUT BETTER THN WKHSE. L8TERS, OLIVER

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    here's a bloke using a mobile phone in victorian times!

thankin u v kindly 4 letting me swp yr chimbley sir . Lumme its ot up here but better thn wkhse. L8ters, oliver
    :d:d:d

more time travellers

Last edited by Paul-K; 29-10-2010 at 02:18 PM.

So, they perfect time travel, but don't find a cure for baldness? Is the being slightly bigger than everybody else one of the side effects? The bottom picture is just a bloke with a crap haircut.

I tell you what, if I could travel in time I'd be checking out Jesus or the Marie Celeste or the assasination of Julius Caesar or summat, not hanging around on a street corner with a load of people in hats. I might also make some effort to try and blend in.

Judging by the gentleman's clothes in the top picture, he's not too far in the future from us. Can we settle this once for all by having the next post on the subject come from whichever one of us is still alive when time travel is perfected? I know we have to worry about the continuum and crossing the streams and all that but if you can get away with having your picture taken then I'm sure you can pop back and post online. Look forward to hearing from you. Or me.
    Last edited by ginghamkitchen; 29-10-2010 at 02:42 PM.
    THE BRITISH ESPERANTIST
    The Pseudoscientific World Of TOMTIT

Some days are quite boring, today is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
    So, they perfect time travel, but don't find a cure for baldness? Is the being slightly bigger than everybody else one of the side effects? The bottom picture is just a bloke with a crap haircut.

I tell you what, if I could travel in time I'd be checking out Jesus or the Marie Celeste or the assasination of Julius Caesar or summat, not hanging around on a street corner with a load of people in hats. I might also make some effort to try and blend in.

Judging by the gentleman's clothes in the top picture, he's not too far in the future from us. Can we settle this once for all by having the next post on the subject come from whichever one of us is still alive when time travel is perfected? I know we have to worry about the continuum and crossing the streams and all that but if you can get away with having your picture taken then I'm sure you can pop back and post online. Look forward to hearing from you. Or me.
    Its me
    I'm from the future
    Only no one can know as it would distrupt the future is people in the present knew that I was able to move through time

Anyway, I've been here before and to prove it I'll
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

So many questions. Are the Tories still in? Who won 'Strictly'? Is the world a post apocalyptic wasteland? Who won next year's 'Strictly', etc. etc.
    THE BRITISH ESPERANTIST

well you would, unless you had just gone back to save a really important thing or do something important by these people in hats.

yeah the drap hair one, just looks like someone with a crap haircut.

if i could travel in time, id go back and save a few people, visit a few record shops, id also invent things that have already been invented in the future. and probably stay in the 50s - 70s, buy take lots of deoderant and good tooth paste and pot noodles with me

The bloke in the first picture stands out because while his clothes are entirely in keeping with that era, he is more casually (scruffily) dressed than the others. Not sure what that says about the modern world...

If I could travel back in time, I'd go back to the early 60s and take a bag of pre- decimal currency and the racing results for that year.

Time travel will never happen though, otherwise we'd all know about it by now wouldn't we?
    Endless Tripe

I'd skip back and pick up all the Hendrix records and flog them to eric-adams
    http://tfl.gov.uk/bus/stop/490009784...reet?lineId=35

When you hear music, after itís over, itís gone, in the air, you can never capture it again.

The bloke in the first picture stands out because while his clothes are entirely in keeping with that era...
    What, the logo'd hooded sweat shirt? Boxers aside, that's a relatively recent look, surely?
    THE BRITISH ESPERANTIST

What, the logo'd hooded sweat shirt? Boxers aside, that's a relatively recent look, surely?
    I think its some kind of knitted college / sports sweater. I am just looking at some of my menswear books and there are pics of people wearing this kind of thing as far back as 1900 (admittedly, in that case, for sport). Certainly by the mid-century they would have worn this sort of thing as casual wear on campus, etc. I'm not actually sure whether it is hooded or whether he's got something with a collar on underneath it. And there's no way that cardigan or jacket or whatever it is is a modern garment! I think he looks like a bit of a beat.
    Endless Tripe

it's not the hoodie, it's the digital SLR that's a dead giveaway.

I think its some kind of knitted college / sports sweater. I am just looking at some of my menswear books and there are pics of people wearing this kind of thing as far back as 1900 (admittedly, in that case, for sport). Certainly by the mid-century they would have worn this sort of thing as casual wear on campus, etc. I'm not actually sure whether it is hooded or whether he's got something with a collar on underneath it. And there's no way that cardigan or jacket or whatever it is is a modern garment! I think he looks like a bit of a beat.
    Yes, of course, like a Letterman sweater. The other garment is something like a jerkin. I've also seen lots of shades like that in vintage photographs. That said, he is not a time traveller.
    THE BRITISH ESPERANTIST

apparently it was taken at a bridge opening in canada in 1940

I am just looking at some of my menswear books.

I am just looking at some of my science books and agree with Son Of Stan that this fellows clothes are probably contemporary to the era ,and that GK's apparent belief that he is a time traveller or is wearing clothes from the future is false.

See above, I absolutely don't believe he is a time traveller, I just wondered about his incongruous appearance but then there's no point faking the photo if he doesn't stick out a bit.
    THE BRITISH ESPERANTIST

Quote Originally Posted by theeman View Post
    it's not the hoodie, it's the digital SLR that's a dead giveaway.
    A digital SLR that looks like a Box Brownie???
    "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Quote Originally Posted by eric-adams View Post
    apparently it was taken at a bridge opening in canada in 1940

i think that makes it more likely to be time travel. in films and tv they always go back and, out of the countless billions of possibilities in the time/space continuum they end up on the titanic or in the trenches of the Somme or in the court of King Arthur.

mostly they would end up in the middle of the sea in 1503, or a dungheap in central Russia in the 6th century or embedded 500 miles into the earths crust in 1967

University of Michigan?

THE BRITISH ESPERANTIST

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    i think that makes it more likely to be time travel. in films and tv they always go back and, out of the countless billions of possibilities in the time/space continuum they end up on the titanic or in the trenches of the Somme or in the court of King Arthur.
    Well I think it makes it less likely. There was quite a lot going on in the world in 1940. It would take a very incurious sort of time traveller to choose to visit the opening of some bridge in Canada. Why bother?
    Endless Tripe

University of Michigan?
    ]
    It's Mantovani World Tour merchandise

People forget how wild the hip kids were for cascading strings in 1940

Do the clever boffins who think about these things suggest that you can only time travel to a time when the time machine has been invented? Say if I invented the machine today, tomorrow I could go back to today but not to the previous day. Don't understand why they suggest that but I ain't no Einstein.

Totally makes time travel a waste of time imo. I only want to return to the 60's or 70's for records. I don't want to just return to the 29th October 2010 so I can get outbid on ebay again or visit my local charity/flea or record shop and leave empty handed.

If I built my machine today I'd still not be able to beat John Stapleton or Fuz to their recent hauls. Time travel sucks...pah!
    Last edited by Campag Record; 29-10-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

I just searched ""ice hockey sweater" Montreal 1940s" and, quite by chance, this came up:

Spookily, it was from someone's blog, debunking this very picture.
    Endless Tripe

Quote Originally Posted by Campag Record View Post
    If I built my machine today I'd still not be able to beat John Stapleton or Fuz to their recent hauls. Time travel sucks...pah!
    Quote of the thread!

http://tfl.gov.uk/bus/stop/490009784...reet?lineId=35

When you hear music, after itís over, itís gone, in the air, you can never capture it again.