Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Redeeming feature

great chart!

Quote Originally Posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post

Question is... is anyone else getting down to the Victor Silvester or is it just me ?
    I have a few of these and will admit/agree with you on their redeeming features.

Great chart.
    -
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
    but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Found what I was looking for yesterday, Victor Silvester album called 'Let's go' has worthy versions of T Rex 'Hot love' and 'Hawaii five o'' all in a cha cha stylez. Hurrah.

Hmmm Brillo.
    -
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
    but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

If that Leroy Holmes double contains all the tracks from his "Themes From The New Provocative Films" LP (and it looks as if it might) then I'd recommend further listening. A fair few great tracks on there. "Emotions" was comped on that "Beat Actione" boot in the late 90s...

Edit: A bit of research tells me that "All The Loving Couples" - a standout from the "Provocative Films" album - is not present on that comp.

As you were...
    Last edited by Mang; 14-09-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    Drastically reduced to 72p

I've been meaning to do another chapter of this for ages... sorry it's taken so long! Let me know if any of the links don't work... I think they do, but I'm a dunce at this computer lark...

The green is wearing thin - Inspiration

This little beauty was plucked from the pound bins of a well known London record shop this summer. From the moment I saw it I knew it was coming home with me, if the music failed it could represent the UK in the Boner thread on Waxidermy.

And it almost did, but this record should be applauded for it's talent - there's tons of ideas and great playing throughout, but when you spread your bets as far apart as "the Dam Busters March", "Jambalaya" and Elton John's "Your song" you don't really deserve to suceed in my opinion.

Inspite of it all they pull it together for one mighty tune, the last on side one... Just listen to how the song ends - it goes off into a cracking riff - which leaves you slavering for more of the same on side two, but alas it's not to be... and it has to remain as one of the best redeeming features of the olympic "summer" of 2012.

__________________________________________________ __

Why did you do it? - Tony Holland

This private press was fished out of a small Welsh mountain village charity shop for a cover of Stretch's brit funk classic "Why did you do it?". It remains pretty faithful to the original... until the mad synth action blows the original away with a wall of squelchy, parpy and flatulent noises which would make a Viz reader blush...

Scarborough fair - Tony Back

Like others on this board I'll always give an Ad-rhythm record a chance... but given the unadventureous track list I didn't have my hopes up... but Mr. Back HAS delivered in the past...

Be still my beating heart, be comes through with a great synthy drummed up version of Scarborough fair, which almost makes you forget about Simon and whatisname.

Be in - Caterina Valente & Edmundo Ros

Conessieurs of this board will be aware of Edmundo Ros delightful bash at the Hair musical, and rightfully so - a great LP.

But with his sometime collaborator Caterina Valente he delivers here a fresh take on Be-in, with a massive added timbale break...

Theme from SWAT - The Martins Brothers

A lounge LP from a Caribbean cruise ship by the Martin brothers (Who hail from New Zealand, England and two seperate parts of the states respectively, according to the back of the LP), just like their mother they are all over the place, except for three magical minutes of the SWAT theme.

__________________________________________________ ___

Freefall - The Main Street Singers

When I sighted this record in a cheapie bin at the Austin Record Convention last year I was instantly drawn in by the mock psychadelic cover. Upon closer inspection it proved to be a super square mid america lounge vocal sextet trying to grab the attention of the youth. Most would be disappointed, not I.

Quite how "Free fall" was recieved by the target audience I guess we will never know, 'cos the rest of the album was sure to scare them off.

__________________________________________________ ____

Ballin gonna be the death of me - Don V. Lorusso

This turned up in the outpile of a Californian Womble (!) and appears to be some sort of audition record for a dude who went on to do some production when this inevitably failed to impress.

From 1973 it's an attempt to prove he was an artist of substance who could do anything required of him by a record industry insider... I'd have passed over it if it wasn't for the catchy title of this little ditty, still it's not all bad news... a short google reveals he's also done something worthy of being enshrined by Sarge's Dr. Crippens youtube channel.

__________________________________________________ _____

Otis Redding - Otto

Rescued from an Austin Record Convention dollar bin I have no information on this as it's all in Japanese... the only words I can read you see in the picture, sorry. I don't even have a title for the tune, just the credit of Mr. Redding - can anyone identify it, I'm rubbish at this sort of thing.

__________________________________________________ ______

Poison Ivy - La Tropa Loca

This came from a clutch of latin records in Los Angeles record shop Bagatelle... purchased sealed because of the version of Poison Ivy - spidey senses paid off!

__________________________________________________ _______

Get ready - Showcase

Back to good old blighty to finish up, and back to the begining of this thread with some proper working man's soul... just like the circle of life.

I still say there's more than enough out there for a Volume 3.
    Last edited by someblokecalledfuz; 10-12-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Great post and great to see this thread return!

All great but am particularly fond of Freefall here. Ace!

Eager to hear the last but it links to a photo at mo.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by eine View Post
    Eager to hear the last but it links to a photo at mo.
    I think that's fixed it!

Can some kind Mod please relocate this to the Charts department? Thanks!
    Last edited by someblokecalledfuz; 10-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Thumbs up

Can some kind Mod please relocate this to the Charts department? Thanks!
    Done! (Nice to see the new additions).
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Thumbs up

Great update Fuz mate, loving the version of 'Theme from SWAT'.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Otis Redding - Otto

Rescued from an Austin Record Convention dollar bin I have no information on this as it's all in Japanese... the only words I can read you see in the picture, sorry. I don't even have a title for the tune, just the credit of Mr. Redding - can anyone identify it, I'm rubbish at this sort of thing.
    haha! I too have this record and - like your bad self - bought it from a dollar bin nowhere near Japan..! (Australia, seeing how you asked).

... and like you again Fuz, I too struggled to identify the bloody song..!

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

OOH - that 'Inspiration' tune is... inspiring! It's like a distillation of all charity shop punts you could possibly want. Excellent
    Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Glad people are enjoying it! Yeah the Inspiration track is special... and the Showcase I thought a suitable number before the final curtain .
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Absolutely brilliant! More Fuz please
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Yeah the Inspiration track is special...
    I've seen a fair few copies of that Inspiration LP around here over the last few years - maybe they toured Bristol?

Good to see some new additions to this ace thread.

Great stuff mate - every bit as good as when I've heard you play them out or in the record room. That Inspiration is even better then I remembered :O

I've been pondering this since you played it me and it sound more like this to me:

I play this version out sometimes:

but at a push it could be possibly this:

??????
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

But with his sometime collaborator Caterina Valente he delivers here a fresh take on Be-in, with a massive added timbale break...
    You're not wrong there.
    also enjoying Tony Holland and Scarborough fair

just like their mother they are all over the place

and that made me snortle.

cheers fuz!
    I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

Well it's time to round up and unleash another batch of Redeeming Features upon your ears.

There's been a few candidates this summer but I've left some out as I've other plans for them... my private press Xmas swap, a UK country chart update, and a future Xian mix I *really* need to get round to at some point...

So this is distilled right down to a rich vein of grade 'A', under the counter, off the radar digging surprises.

I'll also go public here and salute that "special" record shop in York, where some of these were sourced - cheers Phil.

We'll kick it off by going straight out of my comfort zone and plunge headlong into the glamorous world of disco...

Wow dee wow - Tony Evans Connection

Disco usually makes me run a mile but there was something in the back of my mind telling me to grab this, and it paid off in full. One glorious track of driving funky wah wah geetar, which somehow managed to fend off the disco stick which pulverized the rest of this album.

Attitude dancing - Fred Astaire

As I say, disco ain't my bag Daddio, but could I leave behind an album where twinkle toes Rodgers revs up his vocal pipes... backed by the Pete Moore Orchestra (Which I've always held in high regard)?

No, I could not. This had the potential to be a train wreck of a listen, and I do want to point out I'm no connoisseur of disco, but it's way better than my (admittedly low) expectations could have imagined.

Hit the road Jack - Phil Tate & Orchestra

Showing the disco generation how to do it... a wonderful take on an old classic with tuff drums, pounding rhythm and in your face vocal delivery.

This is the record that made people finally give in to the groove at the last Eclectic Mud and jump off the comfy sofas and on to the dance floor. It could be the best Ballroom dancing record yet...

She's not there - Carlos Romanos & Orchestra

Or maybe it's this one... Many thanks to the very generous Ian T, who mentioned this record up thread and has donated it to the cause... It fits right in a lovely flowing latin version of the Zombies signature tune.

Now come a couple you might have to rub your eyes, cotton bud your ears and pinch yourself to believe... Funk in unusual places? Slightlydelic? You decide...

A hard days night - Max Bygraves

Nick Ingman & orchestra along with the Tony Mansell singers helping Max turn this Beatles perennial into a lounge groover.

Rawhide - Frankie Laine

It's funny what record collecting does to you isn't it. I never thought I'd be hanging on to a Frankie Laine record, but to be fair he's helped out by the Pete Moore Orchestra... But a funky version of Rawhide? Strewth.

Ain't no sunshine - The Brass Ring

The whole Tijuana Brass 60's easy listening genre is wearing rather thin these days, I mean how many brass records have you kept in your collection? I found myself questioning myself whether I needed yet another in my life when I found this in a London charity shop this summer.

It's a long way to carry it home to Edinburgh, I said to myself, but thankfully my love of Bill Withers won out in the end.

Tom's tavern blues - Lloyd Green

If you're reading this you probably know I like a bit of country, but don't let this knowledge scare you off... for Lloyd manages to wield a mighty Fuzz guitar in this wee down home ditty.

Caravan - Lenny Dee

Truth be told I've had this record for many years. But when I found myself turning over in my mind which recently found version of Caravan I should include in this chapter of the chart, I thought none of them beat this cracking version where Lenny gets his organ to sound devilishly dark in places...

It should be stated that one of my golden rules of digging is never pass up a version of Caravan, so if any of you are considering jettisoning any please let me know in advance...

and finally a record which at first glance doesn't seem to fit in the Redeeming feature chart.... why, any self respecting board member would pick this up for peanuts if they found it languishing in the wild...

Jeune Homme - Norman Maine Orchestra

I mean, french, library vibes, colourful sleeve, versions of "Baby come back", "Hey Jude" and "Fire" for starters...

But they're all performed by the curiously lackluster Jeff Clyton Orchestra, flipping over to Mr. Maine's side almost crushed me. Sappy, slushy versions of middle of the road orchestral averageness... until the Morricone-esque "Jeune Homme" (thankfully) charged out of the speakers... I knew there had to be something good on this.

As ever comments appreciated, questions answered and let me know if any of the links don't work.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Thumbs up Great update Fuz mate.

Loving the Tony Evans, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for it, like you the disco in the title would have put me off a bit too!

Is that the same Brass Ring that did the version of 'Spinning wheel'?
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Wonderful stuff!

Again.

VG+ needs to award you a 'Top Digger' Northern Soul style patch.

PS: If you ever see Lenny Dee's LP with Happy Barefoot Boy on...pick it up! Proper fun.

Two years old this thread is, and I'd never noticed it before - some lovely stuff in here for definite (though 60s Tijuana brass sound-alikes will NEVER wear thin for me!)

Incidentally, Carlos Romanos and the aforementioned Wilf Todd are one and the same person - there seems to be some link with Apollo Sound in there too, but I'm not quite sure what.

Great stuff Fuzz - that Tony Evans sounded awesome on Saturday Night.

I think I mentioned I've got another LP in the same series as that Surboum lp - I'll post it up here when I get back as it too has the one redeeming feature. We nicked the cover for the 'edinbrillo' flyer I'm sure you'll remember.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

That Carlos Romanos is pretty decent, another one to look out for, cheers Fuz & Ian!
    Coincidently I found this by him over the weekend:

http://www.discogs.com/Carlos-Romano...elease/4793357

I'm currently grooving to the version of It's Not Unusual. The whole album is pretty smooth all the way through, not bad at all.
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    Loving the Tony Evans, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for it, like you the disco in the title would have put me off a bit too!

Not sure I know the one you're talking about Craig!
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Townsend View Post
    PS: If you ever see Lenny Dee's LP with Happy Barefoot Boy on...pick it up! Proper fun.
    I don't think I would pass a Lenny Dee album without investigating it, so another goes onto the list in my head...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thames View Post
    Two years old this thread is, and I'd never noticed it before - some lovely stuff in here for definite (though 60s Tijuana brass sound-alikes will NEVER wear thin for me!)

Incidentally, Carlos Romanos and the aforementioned Wilf Todd are one and the same person - there seems to be some link with Apollo Sound in there too, but I'm not quite sure what.
    Glad you found it your Lordship... listen to a few as you sort out your UK Private presses for posting up in the other thread
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Great stuff Fuzz - that Tony Evans sounded awesome on Saturday Night.

I think I mentioned I've got another LP in the same series as that Surboum lp - I'll post it up here when I get back as it too has the one redeeming feature. We nicked the cover for the 'edinbrillo' flyer I'm sure you'll remember.
    It sure did, I hope to unleash it on a proper dance floor at some point.

I'd be happy if you just post a picture up of that "Edinbrillo" Surboum record, pretty lady... Was there anything good on it?
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by medlar View Post
    That Carlos Romanos is pretty decent, another one to look out for, cheers Fuz & Ian!
    Coincidently I found this by him over the weekend:

http://www.discogs.com/Carlos-Romano...elease/4793357

I'm currently grooving to the version of It's Not Unusual. The whole album is pretty smooth all the way through, not bad at all.
    I think I still have that somewhere but I seem to remember dismissing it. If you're grooving to Mr. Romanos / Todd then be sure to check up thread, as there's another by him which is really quite special, not to mention a number of Ballroom records which might move you Chris.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Glad you found it your Lordship... listen to a few as you sort out your UK Private presses for posting up in the other thread
    Hell, yeah! When I get some time to myself I shall definitely do that!

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    Yep, Phil Bodner's group. You'll find him all over Command records too.

I don't think I would pass a Lenny Dee album without investigating it
    Cosign. Don't pick up a lot of Hammond these days, but Lenny albums are a no-braner.