Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Redeeming feature

Default The Redeeming feature

I think it’s fair to say many of us on this board gamble on records.

I know I do – I’m forever taking deaf punts hoping against hope and sometimes logic, that I’ll unearth something I didn’t know that’s worthy of repeat listens, suited possibly to a mix or perhaps, just perhaps, worth playing out on an unsuspecting public.

It’s often the scantest bits of information which get my brain humming - hoping there could be something interesting on the record, the inclusion of a particular instrument, certain session players, favourite songs, arrangers, producers, labels, year of recording... if anything trips that switch in my brain there’s no going back, I’m hooked and if it’s cheap – it’s going home with me.

Back home and the vinyl is slapped on the turntable pronto, and the hunt for that elusive fix is on.

Ninety nine times out of a hundred the results are of course disappointing, and I find myself trying to persuade myself that I haven’t just wasted another pound. Ultimately though after the buzz is busted and cold logic kicks back in, it’s back to the charity shop with it. C’est la vie.

But...

If aural gold is struck... joy, rapture, ride that wave of great music and revel in the satisfaction of finding that redeeming feature that makes all the mistakes worth it.

In the spirit of sharing knowledge this board was built on, and cowering in the shadows of more ambitious charts, I humbly present this ongoing project...

Where I get to cobble together a loose selection of wildly different records with nothing much in common other than they hit my musical sweet spot, and therefore contain what all diggers are after - The redeeming feature.

Mod-psych-dancers these are certainly not, but I hope you’ll enjoy them. Please feel free to comment on what get’s bunged up - I hope they strike a chord with some of you at least, and to make your own additions to the list if you wish.

I’m hoping this chart will kill two birds with one stone. Not only giving some sort of slightly justifiable purpose to my insane behavioural habits (what gambler regularly takes these odds?), but serve as the answer to that most unanswerable of questions – so, what sort of music do you like?

So then the music, in no particular order...

Get chapter one here: http://www.divshare.com/download/14725812-845
    (Thanks Shaun)

Sydney Thompson and his Orchestra – Accent on the Latin Rhythm

Ballroom dancing records rarely disappoint in providing insipid, uninspired music... So it’s a genuine surprise to find a version of Popcorn to savour.

The redeeming feature: Popcorn

----

Waldyr Azevedo – Um Cavaquinho

Cartoon characters offering up an acoustic guitar to an unknown (to me at least) Brazilian? I’ll risk it...

Duly rewarded with a bass heavy shuffling song of quite some charm... I’d be really interested in knowing what the hell it’s all about, so if an Portuguese speakers could help out I’d be much obliged.

The redeeming feature: Catete

----

Xavier Cugat and his orchestra – Cugat plays continental hits

Now Mr. Cugat is hardly an unknown, but over the years I’ve never quite managed to get with the majority of his output, it’s all just a little... well polite for my tastes.

But I wasn’t going to pass up the chance to hear his take on Apache for the price of a packet of crisps...

The redeeming feature: Apache

----

Instant Asia – John De Souza

I swithered for a while about this one as 1979 is well out of my comfort zone, but I’m glad I took the plunge... Despite an album obviously tailored for western ears, I kept coming back to the majesty of one tune.

The redeeming feature: Avam Didek

----

Orchestra Ethiopia – S/T

To be honest I was never gonna pass this one up, I mean Blue Nile records? There are those who would probably get a lot more from this than I, but because of Imbilta I can’t let this one go.

Otherworldly wind instruments over a thumping shuffling beat... beautiful.

The redeeming feature: Imbilta

----

The Burbank Philarmonic – S/T

Just how many cover versions of the Doors Light my fire does anyone need? I found myself considering this very quandary when eyeing this record up. But the fever took hold and home it came with me. Happily for all concerned it was indeed a different take on an old standard...

The more I think about it the more I’m sure Jim Morrison would have enjoyed the rendering of this tune as a sleazy tittyshaker.

The redeeming feature: Light my fire

----

Catelli Trinidad All Stars – Classical jewels 111

I admit it, I am a sucker for Steel drum records. But would I stoop as low as to buy a steel band interpreting classical music? You betcha, especially as they included a tune called Calypso progress.

Give it a chance and beware the false ending, but this goes down as yet another warning shot across the bows of the human race that we seem determined to ignore. Potent, and relevant stuff.

The redeeming feature: Calypso progress

----

George De Fretes and his Royal Hawaiian minstrels – Hula girl

Before you say anything I didn’t just buy this for the cover... I mean I do buy records just for the cover, but that’s another story and thread.

I’ve always been into sounds from far away places – check the last Xmas mix for proof, and long been fascinated by Hawaiian music.

This album comes as close as any I know to mixing jazz into Hawaiian music... hear for your selves.

The redeeming feature: Molakai Nui Ahina

----

Hits electronic – Dan Hill

Nothing, absolutely nothing prepared me for this. It still makes me smile every time I play it.

The redeeming feature: Long cool woman in a black dress

----

The New Haven women’s liberation rock band & the Chicago women’s liberation rock band, pause for breath, and a caste of millions – Mountain moving day

I dunno how many of you have experimented or dabbled in the delights of Lesbian music...

But I can tell you it’s a hairy arm-pitted, comfortable shoe wearing, minefield out there... Infact the only record from this genre I’ve kept is this one.

That’s not so say all the other records in this genre aren’t any good, just that they don’t speak to me... I’m not sure this one does either but I can get with the groove though, and they certainly do with this epic. Clocking in at just under nine minutes Secretary sticks it well and truly to the, er... man.

The redeeming feature: Secretary

Chapter two: The Redeeming Feature
    Grab Chapter two: Here (Hopefully)

Ian Townsend challenged me to play some redeeming feature records at Byker Groove, so I've included a couple which I played out to the Tanner masses and even snuck in a couple from the Northern Brillo in Leeds aswell...

Alex Scorier Orchestra – Latin hits for dancing

I'm a sucker for anything even slightly exotic so when this popped up in my local Oxfam pound bin there was no hesitation. Admittedly hopes were high and bingo, there was indeed the anticipated payoff.

The Redeeming Feature: Ba bi baloo – bi balaa

_______

Leroy Holmes Orchestra – 36 Great motion picture themes & original soundtracks Vol. 3

This caught my eye in a charity shop earlier this year, it seems to be from New Zealand but there's not much else to go on... It's a double record gatefold comp so at first I was slightly disapointed to only be grooving on one track. But one killer track is one killer track, so I'm happy now! Anyone got the other volumes?

The Redeeming Feature: Emotions - Leroy Holmes Orchestra

______

Werner Muller Orch – Elvis's Greatest Hits

Orchestral versions of the King? Yes please... although only one cuts the mustard.

The Redeeming Feature: Bossa Nova baby

______

The Rick Powell Choir Book

Another one of my guilty pleasures is weird Christian records, I'm for ever trying to disprove the maxim "the devil's got all the best tunes". So when I clapped eyes on this moogy Xian effort my spirits were lifted...

The Redeeming Feature: Joyful noise

_____

Disco Turkish dances

Now this isn't one of your B-Music Turkish psych funk bangers, but it does have a charm all of it's own. A record I suspect people with sampling and looping skills might get a lot out of...

The Redeeming Feature: Oyun Havalari – Sis Kebabi

______

Cliff Richard – Don't stop me now!

I know, I know... does the sexless one really have it in him? Does this qualify as a weird Xian record? You be the judge...

The Redeeming Feature: My babe

_____

Living guitars - Guitar man

I bought this record in Barcalona and to be honest overlooked it for a long while... a recent re-evaluation and it was saved from the cull.

The Redeeming Feature: Guitar man

_____

Les Elgart Orchestra – The great sound of

Hard to classify this one, easy listening I suppose... as always, there's one track I keep returning to...

The Redeeming Feature: Moonlight Shuffle

______

After the first chapter there was talk about Ballroom dancing records, and if there was anything worth looking out for...

Well one name I wouldn't flick past without at least a glance at the tracklisting is Victor Silvester.

To (hopefully) prove my point here's a couple from the great man to round off this second installment.

Victor Silvester Orch – Up up and away

I found this in Peebles a while ago, and written on the back is "Property of the Peebles Ballroom dancing society"! So I wonder... at somepoint in the mid seventies did they really whirl around the floor to this one?

The Redeeming Feature: Ironsides

_____

Victor Sylvester Orchestra – Dance to the music of

Most Beatles covers pull me in... and there are many. But this one perhaps above all the rest keeps me smiling. This truly swings and I will defend this tune until the bitter end.

The Redeeming Feature: I feel fine

The Redeeming Feature chapter 3

Rogero’s Brazilian Brass – S/T

If songs from the musical ‘Hair’ appear on an album it always increases the likelihood of it being rescued by me from the charity shop floor, especially if the asking price isn’t too much.

So I proudly present to you and every ‘Hair’ fans, Roger’s Brazilian Brass take on ‘Hare Krishna’ in it’s blazing glory… and they certainly do get down on it.

Be warned though true to form this is a one tracker, their version of Aquarius despite a promising beginning doesn’t really rise above ordinary.

The Redeeming Feature : Hare Krishna

__________________________________________________ __

The Mexicali Brass – A taste of honey

More brass, different continent… The version of Tequila on here is okay but it’s the last song ‘Careless love’ which captured my heart.

Laid back breezy brass of the finest order, so mellow that it sounds like ska.

I’ve a hunch this is an cheap exploito LP as the label has a history of it and the album is a real mish-mash, so who were The Mexicali Brass?

The Redeeming Feature : Careless Love

Carlos Romanos Sounds Latin – Viva la Samba

Keeping it exotic… an old latin standard ab-so-lutely hammered into shape by a crack team of percussionists.

Whisper it, but hells yeah… this really is another Ballroom dancing record.

As I understand it Mr. Romanos plied his trade in Britain, I’d have given a lot of money to see this performed live in the early sixties at one of those oh so proper suburban ballrooms.

The Redeeming Feature : El Cumbanchero

The Tradewinds – One Caribbean Souvenir

Brazil, Mexico, where next but the Caribbean!

How many touristy LP’s from this part of the world have I frittered away my money on in the vain hope that they might stray away from the dreaded standards and do some thing just a little bit different?

With out a word of a lie literally… hundreds. Will I learn my lesson? Not when tracks like this surface… Fuzz bass on a tourist record? Yep indeed.

The Redeeming Feature : Alone

Eddie Layton at the Hammond organ

American organist Eddie Layton takes us on a journey into the East now, with a version of Caravan which to me is reminiscent of an Ice cream van getting lost in the ghost train ride at the end of Brighton pier, or something.

The Redeeming Feature : Caravan

Trombones Unlimited – You’re gonna hear from me (us)!

Staying in the East with a version of Arabesque, which mixes atmospheric eastern jazz and, erm… screaming fuzz guitar.

The Redeeming Feature : Arabesque

Mac Davis – I believe in Music

And now for something completely different…

If you’re better than the king - what does that make you?

There aren’t many singers who can take on and beat Elvis when it comes to providing the definitive version of a song.

Here Mac Davis delivers a version so far from the jaunty upbeat Elvis version of the tune that it changes the song totally. He injects it with such menace, cruelty and urgency that frankly hangs the jump suited one out to dry.

Thanks to Lee for hipping me to this initially…

The Redeeming Feature : A little less conversation

Barry Drake – Happylanding

The trouble with singer songwriters is that they so often come across as wet blankets… that, and the fact that they never have enough drums in the mix.

Something about ‘Jack of Spades’ grabbed me like nothing else on the album… he still sounds like a wet blanket but at least the drums keep the song moving along.

The Redeeming Feature : Jack of Spades

Uncle John Shearer - Children’s Party time

And now for something completely bonkers…

You gotta love Uncle John…

He gives it his all he does, popping up between each track with a relentlessly funky backing track urging the kids to have even more fun, before giving way to not bad, but ultimately a bit dull versions of kiddie classics.

The highlight though is easily the freestyle dancing competition where those tots are well and truly treated, as Uncle John pushes back the furniture and ushers in disco time.

Truth be told the song slightly outstays its welcome, but all is forgiven because of the rather tasty break with which it starts.

The Redeeming Feature : Disco do-da

Victor Silvester - Let’s have a Party!

Regular readers should have been expecting this… we sign off this chapter with another Ballroom dancing record.

Maybe it’s because there are less worthwhile records in charity shops these days that I’ve resorted to buying this genre, or maybe I am genuinely turning middle aged and square… either way I am grooving on this stuff at the moment.

Last chapter I advised anybody who would listen not to pass Victor Silvester’s albums should they come across them… well, I took my own advice and came home with this beauty last week.

This record should not actually be in this chart as it actually has four, yes four, cracking tunes on it.

But where else is the board even thinking about these records? So I’m gonna lay these four goodies down.

It is a Ballroom dancing record, but give it a chance and you will find yourself totally won over and swinging like a pendulum.

It walks the thin line between metronomic ballroom fare and divine soaring and seemingly improvised solos with such style that you just can’t deny it, throw in some crazy percussion and you’ll find yourself quoting Hughie Lewis… ‘It’s hip to be square’.

If only Strictly Come Dancing was this good… The Redeeming Features :

Mambo Jambo

Sucu Sucu

Tequila

Boulder buff

Thanks for reading and listening, until the next chapter...
    Last edited by someblokecalledfuz; 03-10-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Thumbs up

Bloody hell Fuz mate, you don't half take wild punts! I very rarely punt these days. I'm pleased to hear they pay off on occasion.

That Dan Hill is nuts! Ive got several of his records, he does a decent version of "I'm a man" on one, I'll try and dig it out for when your down here for Byker groove.

On the Lesbian front have you not got any Isis, or Linda Tilery?
    Last edited by mr sayers; 27-04-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

Great stuff Fuz - i recall Popcorn going down well at the Mud - I hardly gamble too much these days either...good to see some people are still flying the flag and keeping the spirit of the original vulture board alive !
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

What a brilliant looking chart, am going to listen right now as I continue with my marking

It might even make me start digging in charity shops again! I've sworn off it after too many disappointments but ... you never know do you? There's something about it that's addictive as you say. I love the idea of that kind of record collecting - the random, serendipitious find - but it delivers far too little for me. Or maybe I don't spend enough time doing it...
    Last edited by Tsundoku; 27-04-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

It makes me feel better about the total random synth LPs I dropped bids on while bored last night..... this version of Apache is great btw. And a big tumbs up for Orchestra Ethiopia.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Looks great Fuz! Can't wait to check these out.

I was going to do a Decca Eclipse 'Label of Love' chart at some point, got quite a few on the label but have NEVER seen that Hula Girl LP.

I too love the scattergun approach - as you say, when it does pay off there's nothing sweeter.

Is that Dan Hill South African MFP? I had one of his albums once, had a great moog version of Mr Big Stuff on it if I remember rightly...
    Last edited by IAN; 27-04-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Big grin after hearing that Dan Hill track
    "Jumping cues and making haste just ain't my cup of meat"

www.alexd.co.uk

A man after my own heart -that's the way to buy records. A great chart Fuz and I hope it continues.

I love the Orchestra Ethiopia and the Moving Mountain Day (although are you sure its a lesbian LP not a feminist LP?). Just the kind of strange thing that means I very rarely bother buying any other way.

Until I met Fuz (and indeed Jim) I thought I walked the vinyl high wire but those two are next level. Great looking chart so far Fuzmeister and I knows you gots loads more felicitous heat to drop
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Until I met Fuz (and indeed Jim) I thought I walked the vinyl high wire but those two are next level.
    You do make buying bad records sound very glamorous.

Quote Originally Posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    Iím forever taking deaf punts hoping against hope and sometimes logic, that Iíll unearth something I didnít know thatís worthy of repeat listens, suited possibly to a mix or perhaps, just perhaps, worth playing out on an unsuspecting public.

Itís often the scantest bits of information which get my brain humming - hoping there could be something interesting on the record, the inclusion of a particular instrument, certain session players, favourite songs, arrangers, producers, labels, year of recording... if anything trips that switch in my brain thereís no going back, Iím hooked and if itís cheap Ė itís going home with me.

Back home and the vinyl is slapped on the turntable pronto, and the hunt for that elusive fix is on.

Ninety nine times out of a hundred the results are of course disappointing, and I find myself trying to persuade myself that I havenít just wasted another pound. Ultimately though after the buzz is busted and cold logic kicks back in, itís back to the charity shop with it. Cíest la vie.

But...

If aural gold is struck... joy, rapture, ride that wave of great music and revel in the satisfaction of finding that redeeming feature that makes all the mistakes worth it.
    Looking back at this, that is as good a description of why I like buying records as any I've read.

What gambler regularly takes these odds?
    Sadly, I do have odds I aim at. I don't always stick to this but if I get one record in ten that generates repeat plays, I'm happy - at an average of a pound per record, that works out at a tenner per good record. If its more than that, I get a touch frustrated but (and this is deeply tragic) I get more frustrated if I go out digging and I only come home with things I already know I'll like. Its these "redeeming feature" records that keeps me interested.

I also get a bit wound up if if I get "lucky" and come home with five or six things I like out of ten. I'd be thrilled about the things I like but then start daydreaming about the other things that may be there that I turned down at first...

Thumbs up Gold Dust!

Fantastic idea for a chart!

It's also a timely reminder of the original intention of VV and obviously represents hours and hours of patient listening to find that certain 'something' that just hits the right spot.

Really looking forward to D/L-ing these tomorrow.

Cheers Fuz!

Super stuff, fuz. this sort of chart is my favourite. a unique report from the wilder fringes of record collecting.

Just a request - I think you can upload tracks into a file or something on DivShare so that they can all be d/led in one go (I did it with my gipsy stuff) , which would save loads of time for cheapskates like me who only have the free account.
    Vardy.....°°°PELIGRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
    There is no such thing as a "bad" record just ones that remain "undiscovered".

Thanks for the positive responses chaps!

I do aim to keep it rolling...

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    That Dan Hill is nuts! Ive got several of his records, he does a decent version of "I'm a man" on one, I'll try and dig it out for when your down here for Byker groove.

On the Lesbian front have you not got any Isis, or Linda Tilery?
    Actually I do have an Isis record, which is pretty good. Never heard of Linda Tilery...

I'd be well up for hearing Dan Hill's version of I'm a man, please see if you can find it Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by IAN View Post
    I have NEVER seen that Hula Girl LP.

Is that Dan Hill South African MFP? I had one of his albums once, had a great moog version of Mr Big Stuff on it if I remember rightly...
    I think I might have a spare of this one Ian... I'll see if I can find it , and yes it's a South African pressing.

Are you sure its a lesbian LP not a feminist LP?)
    That's a good question... I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    I knows you gots loads more felicitous heat to drop
    I'll have to look felicitous up in a dictionary before I can tell if I have or not .

Don't encourage me ...

Sadly, I do have odds I aim at. I don't always stick to this but if I get one record in ten that generates repeat plays, I'm happy - at an average of a pound per record, that works out at a tenner per good record. If its more than that, I get a touch frustrated but (and this is deeply tragic) I get more frustrated if I go out digging and I only come home with things I already know I'll like. Its these "redeeming feature" records that keeps me interested.

I also get a bit wound up if if I get "lucky" and come home with five or six things I like out of ten. I'd be thrilled about the things I like but then start daydreaming about the other things that may be there that I turned down at first...
    Relax Jim , that's my advice. As long as you are not spending money you don't have or can't afford, then it's all good. Now I wish I had some sort of smart aleck quote about how the journey and lessons learned along the way is as important as the goal...

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    Just a request - I think you can upload tracks into a file or something on DivShare so that they can all be d/led in one go (I did it with my gipsy stuff) , which would save loads of time for cheapskates like me who only have the free account.
    This is a really good idea Shaun... can anybody explain to a computer idiot how to do it?
    Last edited by someblokecalledfuz; 28-04-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Thumbs up

Never heard of Linda Tilery...
    She was in Loading zone, then she went solo.

Thanks for this Fuz - it sounds great. Especially Long Cool Woman... Light My Fire and Apache. Cheers.

Great stuff Fuz, a chart after my own heart
    Liking the Light My Fire version Does the version of These Boots Are Made For Walking have any merit?
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psychť juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Question

Quote Originally Posted by medlar View Post
    Does the version of These Boots Are Made For Walking have any merit?
    I was thinking the same mate.

Quote Originally Posted by medlar View Post
    Does the version of These Boots Are Made For Walking have any merit?
    Depends how much you dig the sounds of flatulent brass and dixieland mixed together...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Are you sure its a lesbian LP not a feminist LP?
    I think you could be on to something here Jim, apologies if my jumping to conclusions has caused any offense.

However looking at the pictures on the back of the sleeve, I wouldn't be surprised...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Excellent stuff Fuzz, this is the kind of thing I go for at boot fairs/charities. The 'Instant Asia' track would fit nicely on those early Penguin Cafe Orchestra records.

great chart, Fuz

for anyone who cares about such things, there's some Dan Hill knowledge in the VG+ archive: the "Sounds Electronic" series he did had some strategic placement of numbers sur les cheesecake femmes cover art...

However looking at the pictures on the back of the sleeve, I wouldn't be surprised...
    my thoughts exactly!
    good lp, and even better chart!

thank you fuz.
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

down south where they use the slide machine...

We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Relax Jim , that's my advice. As long as you are not spending money you don't have or can't afford, then it's all good. Now I wish I had some sort of smart aleck quote about how the journey and lessons learned along the way is as important as the goal...
    Oh, I'm very relaxed about it.

Remember to show them to me next time I'm round
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

This is a really good idea Shaun... can anybody explain to a computer idiot how to do it?
    On the upload page it says "check out new DivShare multi-file uploader!" at the bottom right.
    Check it out!
    you name the folder at the bottom, (you don't need to put a password)
    Then click on the Add Files box and select until all the files are there.
    then upload at the bottom. The limit is 200MB
    The folder will appear in your dashboard, and the share link can then be posted.

It's a lot quicker for you, too.
    Vardy.....°°°PELIGRO!!!

Nice one, Fuz - some hilarious stuff in there, cheers!
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    On the upload page it says "check out new DivShare multi-file uploader!" at the bottom right.
    Check it out!
    you name the folder at the bottom, (you don't need to put a password)
    Then click on the Add Files box and select until all the files are there.
    then upload at the bottom. The limit is 200MB
    The folder will appear in your dashboard, and the share link can then be posted.

It's a lot quicker for you, too.
    Does this work Shaun?

The Redeeming Feature chapter one
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud