Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44

Thread: List of the 1001 Records VG+ thinks you should hear before you die

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,564

    Default List of the 1001 Records VG+ thinks you should hear before you die

    Last edited by Expiry2011; 14-07-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: The endless quest for infallability
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

    Night of the Living Vinyl

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    12,067

    Default

    This list seems to have caught the imagination of the board. Less than 12 hours old and lots of splendid contrbutions.

    Keeping with the positivity of the thread and this listing, i'd suggest that any errors people spot in Expiry's list get dealt with by PM: the man's only human.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    12,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pitch View Post
    This would work quite well over in the charts section - yes? It is the ultimate VG+ album chart after all.....
    what we usually do with these sorts of threads is let them get going, give them a few days, then move them to the appropriate section: unlike this particular thread, they sometimes need a bit of oxygen at the start

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!
    Posts
    3,734

    Default

    Pedant point on #70: The Franco 2P is 20eme Anniversaire, not 2ieme.

    Juin 1956 - Juin 1976, innit
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

    Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

    (=^ェ^=)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    12,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plainstone View Post
    Pedant point on #70: The Franco 2P is 20eme Anniversaire, not 2ieme.

    Juin 1956 - Juin 1976, innit
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmck View Post
    Keeping with the positivity of the thread and this listing, i'd suggest that any errors people spot in Expiry's list get dealt with by PM: the man's only human.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    basel
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    whats going on? is this thread dead?
    there are many more albums submitted in the main thread then there are in this list!
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    12,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by effi_deep View Post
    whats going on? is this thread dead?
    there are many more albums submitted in the main thread then there are in this list!
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmck View Post
    Keeping with the positivity of the thread and this listing, i'd suggest that any errors people spot in Expiry's list get dealt with by PM: the man's only human.
    Sevi, maybe you could PM Expiry with the ones you notice are missing?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    basel
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmck View Post
    Sevi, maybe you could PM Expiry with the ones you notice are missing?
    i'm sorry. i tried to be funny, or is that called sarcastic?
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    House Of Wrong
    Posts
    11,248

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by effi_deep View Post
    i'm sorry. i tried to be funny, or is that called sarcastic?
    WHERE'S MY BEST OF 2011 CDs, SEVI?????
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!
    Posts
    3,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmck View Post
    Sorry, I haven't been able to keep up with the flow in recent weeks. Glad some machines of loving grace are watching over us
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

    Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

    (=^ェ^=)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,564

    Default

    Will try and update the list when I can
    Havent been in front of a computer today
    It will probably be tomorrow
    Don't worry I havent forgotten the task
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

    Night of the Living Vinyl

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...
    Posts
    9,814

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Expiry2011 View Post
    Will try and update the list when I can
    Havent been in front of a computer today
    It will probably be tomorrow
    Don't worry I havent forgotten the task
    No pressure Ex - you are doing a great job mate
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Funky Scotland
    Posts
    8,766

    Default

    'Paul's Boutique' is so good it's in this list twice

    Please keep up the good work - I've only got about 1/4 of these LPs so far
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    3,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    'Paul's Boutique' is so good it's in this list twice
    At the risk of being a RIGHT pain... I think this list might be better A-Z, so if you're thinking of contributing you can check if it's been nominated - rather than keep reading through 400 albums... just my tuppence!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    12,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Divine One View Post
    At the risk of being a RIGHT pain... I think this list might be better A-Z, so if you're thinking of contributing you can check if it's been nominated - rather than keep reading through 400 albums... just my tuppence!
    good idea. it can be done in excel very quickly (less than 10 minutes). sadly, I don't have that time this week, but could do next week...

    that's a serious offer, but rather hoping that one of our other geeks may be able to help in this regard before I do actually make the time for it.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    9,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmck View Post
    good idea. it can be done in excel very quickly (less than 10 minutes). sadly, I don't have that time this week, but could do next week...

    that's a serious offer, but rather hoping that one of our other geeks may be able to help in this regard before I do actually make the time for it.
    Does Andy Bey go under A or B?
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    House Of Wrong
    Posts
    11,248

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by The Divine One View Post
    At the risk of being a RIGHT pain... I think this list might be better A-Z, so if you're thinking of contributing you can check if it's been nominated - rather than keep reading through 400 albums... just my tuppence!
    Or simply look under 'Edit' and use 'Find' to look for the artists in this thread (or whatever variation works for your browser.

    List now alphabeticised according to first word or name of the artist ('the' disregarded). There's still two submissions for 'Paul's Boutique' though.
    Last edited by Rich Hero; 27-06-2011 at 06:10 PM.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    lanzarote
    Posts
    13,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hero View Post
    Or simply look under 'Edit' and use 'Find' to look for the artists in this thread (or whatever variation works for your browser.
    Magical and awesome.
    But then I only discovered 'Undo' about two years ago.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    lanzarote
    Posts
    13,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hero View Post
    List now alphabeticised according to first word or name of the artist ('the' disregarded).
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    House Of Wrong
    Posts
    11,248

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The past!
    Posts
    15,223

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    'Paul's Boutique' is so good it's in this list twice
    Can't argue with that Lee mate!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    London, E3
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Doesn't this make it a right arse to update or am I missing something?
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    House Of Wrong
    Posts
    11,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eine View Post
    Doesn't this make it a right arse to update or am I missing something?
    Probably. Still, if Expiry keeps an Excel sheet it's dead simple to update that and copy and paste that periodically. And it's dead simple to copy this list into a text file, open it in Excel and use that to start the sheet. ...Actually, the loss of the full stops is possibly the most awkward bit.

    Last edited by Rich Hero; 27-06-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Todays' 1001 Album updates are sponsored by Sarge...
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,564

    Default

    Fair call on the double entry - ooops well spotted

    As for the excel business - you'll just have to scroll through until I get a chance to do it - busy week at work and at home

    Or if you can't wait you could do it
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

    Night of the Living Vinyl

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,564

    Default

    Now on an excel spread sheet
    BUT I can't seem to get it to attach to a post - I keep being told its an invalid file
    Can anyone help me??
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

    Night of the Living Vinyl

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    basel
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hero View Post
    Probably. Still, if Expiry keeps an Excel sheet it's dead simple to update that and copy and paste that periodically. And it's dead simple to copy this list into a text file, open it in Excel and use that to start the sheet.

    rich, please add labels, release years and producers to the list over the weekend. thank you!
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    House Of Wrong
    Posts
    11,248

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Expiry2011 View Post
    Now on an excel spread sheet
    BUT I can't seem to get it to attach to a post - I keep being told its an invalid file
    Can anyone help me??
    Copy. Paste.
    Quote Originally Posted by effi_deep View Post
    rich, please add labels, release years and producers to the list over the weekend. thank you!
    Where's my Best Of 2012? Godammnit Sevi!!!
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    basel
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hero View Post
    Where's my Best Of 2012? Godammnit Sevi!!!
    you're a yesterday man rich!
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hero View Post
    Copy. Paste.
    Copy the contents of the file? And paste it where?
    I was hoping to attach the excel file so people could access it in excel - but maybe that's not possible
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

    Night of the Living Vinyl

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    House Of Wrong
    Posts
    11,248

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Expiry2011 View Post
    Copy the contents of the file? And paste it where?
    I was hoping to attach the excel file so people could access it in excel - but maybe that's not possible
    If you press the button in the top left corner of the Excel sheet (where the first column and the first row meet), copy and paste into your first post that'll do it. I don't know any simple way to host the file. But as long as you keep the " - " delimiters between the columns in the copy pasted at the top of this thread people can then save it as a .txt file and open that with Excel, preserving the columns.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Similar Threads

  1. 1001 Albums you must hear before you die - the VG+ version
    By Expiry2011 in forum Let's Get Stuck Into The Music
    Replies: 779
    Last Post: 21-11-2016, 04:04 AM
  2. Resolution Records new List
    By Mark the Res in forum Trades
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-05-2007, 03:44 PM
  3. Large List of Records
    By emperor tomato ketchup in forum Trades
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 05:20 PM
  4. Resolution Records List 87 now available!!
    By Mark the Res in forum Trades
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-10-2005, 09:18 PM
  5. Wild Pitch (Wp 1001/1002) ? What are they
    By BoneyVotel in forum Let's Get Stuck Into The Music
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-12-2004, 06:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •