Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: March Finds.

Default March Finds.

Found some of these today but a few last month too. I havent really bothered with charity shops much of late but got some decent stuff from my local ones. Its all 7s.

Tired copy of this Page One organ fun.

I know this is going to bad and havent listened to it. Dublin Castle Trio on Mushroom.

Mike Sammes trade 7" which appears on Trunk Music for Biscuits lp.

Nice clean copy.Nestling with a loads of early 80s pop.

Shagged but playable early 70s reggae on Dip.

Early Ska in nice nick. Didnt really know what this was so took a punt.

Needs some serious PVA.

Groovy pop gear. I was expecting easy listening.

Jenny Wren. Northern soul rare apparently . Did not have a clue what this was. Sounds great.

Slightly less knackered than ebay copy.

Cool Sharon Tandy on Mercury.

down south where they use the slide machine...

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKPROF View Post
    Found some of these today but a few last month too. I havent really bothered with charity shops much of late but got some decent stuff from my local ones. Its all 7s.

Jenny Wren. Northern soul rare apparently . Did not have a clue what this was. Sounds great.
    BANG!

You've been sneaking a peek at my wants list again!
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by john stapleton View Post
    BANG!

You've been sneaking a peek at my wants list again!
    Ah right, its got the SAMPLE not for sale stamp on bee-side which seems to occur with most copies. Why so rare?

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKPROF View Post
    Ah right, its got the SAMPLE not for sale stamp on bee-side which seems to occur with most copies. Why so rare?
    It didn't sell?

Here are my finds from a fair, charities and store credit:

These are from Feb but got a couple of cheapies at the market yesterday so in the Mar thread they will all go. Market, record fair, record shop and charity.

Joe Beck Nature Boy (Verve) A solo LP from the same guy who played guitar on Kudos and possibly CTI releases (can't be bothered to check if he played on the latter). Anyway, delighted with this LP for a fiver. Not exactly wacked out psych but late 60's tracks with plenty of fuzz and wah wah with great arrangements. Bit of folk funk at times and 'funky' rock/pop tracks. Solid LP.

Eric Andersen - Avalanche (WB) - From the same box at the fair for the same price. Not as solid as the above but still some nice 60's pop. Particularly like Louise which has that choppy stabbed guitar rhythm and some slight phasing on the vocals during the chorus. Again, very happy with this and the type of LP I could live happily off from record buying trips if only there was more of this type of stuff around for cheap.

Buddy Miles Express - Expressway To Your Skull (Mercury) Minty UK copy so that's a bonus straightaway. Everyone will know the deal with Buddy so no explanation required I guess.

Dr Marigold's Prescription - Pictures Of Love (Marble Arch) I thought long and hard before handing over the huge sum of £7 for this. The picture and group name promise so much more than the music does. It really is fairly bland 60's pop and I like my bland pop! I think the sleeve, label and perhaps one or two OK tracks dragged me in. Anyone a fan and can convince me of it's merits?

Fela And Afrika 70 - Fear Not For Man (Afrodisia)
    Fela And Afrika 70 - Opposite People (Afrodisia)

So myself and Craig popped to record shop after the fair that I hadn't been to for a while and they'd got a few nice bits in. Nice little section of classic more 'common' funk records ie JB, K&TG etc but a few more 'interesting' bits. I only got my first Fela LP a few months back so surprised to find a couple more in the area. Total Fred Wesley/JB's sound going on with both LP's, which is no bad thing. Seller took a brief look at the records, noticed a few scuffs so priced them at £2 and £3 respectively. Both LP's play with barely a click so can't be vexed at that

Kay Gee's - Keep On Bumpin' & Masterplan (Gang) Had many copies of the Find A Friend LP by them over the years but had never stumbled across this one. Happy to get it for a few quid and file it with my other tepid funk

Black Fist OST (Happy Fox) Missed this a few years back at the market so the same dealer a few years later gets another copy. Two funky instrumentals Can't Stop Talkin' and I'm Your Man are the pick for me. More tepid funk to file.

Tremeloes - Master (CBS) Picked this up in Edinburgh a few weeks back and had been wanting a copy since Mr Sayers nabbed one a year or so ago. Some great rocky proggy glamy tracks that will appeal to the VG+ sensibilities.

Long John Baldry - Wait For Me (Pye) A LDJB tip off at an Edinburgh record shop. One reason to buy this and one reason only...Sunshine Of Your Love. Absolutely cracking version. A redeeming take on Spinning Wheel but I need a cover version of that as much as I need to hear another cover of Light My Fire!

Marilia Vinicius (Discos Age) Brazilian/bossa LP that has some nice female vocals and jazzy touches among the bossa. Not bad for a charity punt.

Shianbashi Burusu ?? (Columbia) From the shop with the Fela's. Jap LP that I can't read. Pretty naff but one decent cocktail easy jazz tune worth the 3 quid I guess.

Last Summer OST (Warners) Late 60's groovy OST. Few nice tracks and one particular nice 60's pop tune if that's your thing.

Robin McNamara - Lay A Little Lovin' On Me (Steed) 3 quid punt from the fair which kinda paid off for one track. The sleeve notes suggest this guy had the lead role in Hair on Broadway. Does that blue eyed soul/rock thing but one track has a more heavy psych tinged feel about it. Just repeats the same couple of lines unfortunately but the groove is pretty good.

Finesse & Synquis - Soul Sisters (MCA) One awful side and one good side produced by the Ultra's Ced Gee. Some good old UBB samples and female raps always sound great over that type of production.

Geno Washington And The Ram Jam Band - Sifters, Shifters, Finger Clicking Mamas (Marble) Minted up at the market yesterday for the price of a cuppa. The cover of Syl Johnson's Different Strokes is the reason to get this if you don't have the 45/EP (does anyone?) I let the LP play on after Strokes and was impressed with (I Gotta) Hold On To My Love so I should really listen to the full LP for perhaps more goodies.

The Golden Hits Of Soul (Allegros) Soul covers split between two UK club bands Night Train and Mark 7 Brass & Saxes. Good club band covers and liking the Last Night titty shaker instro.
    Last edited by Campag Record; 04-03-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Quote Originally Posted by Campag Record View Post
    Joe Beck Nature Boy (Verve) A solo LP from the same guy who played guitar on Kudos and possibly CTI releases (can't be bothered to check if he played on the latter). Anyway, delighted with this LP for a fiver. Not exactly wacked out psych but late 60's tracks with plenty of fuzz and wah wah with great arrangements. Bit of folk funk at times and 'funky' rock/pop tracks. Solid LP.

Fela And Afrika 70 - Fear Not For Man (Afrodisia)
    Fela And Afrika 70 - Opposite People (Afrodisia)

So myself and Craig popped to record shop after the fair that I hadn't been to for a while and they'd got a few nice bits in. Nice little section of classic more 'common' funk records ie JB, K&TG etc but a few more 'interesting' bits. I only got my first Fela LP a few months back so surprised to find a couple more in the area. Total Fred Wesley/JB's sound going on with both LP's, which is no bad thing. Seller took a brief look at the records, noticed a few scuffs so priced them at £2 and £3 respectively. Both LP's play with barely a click so can't be vexed at that
    Seconded on the Joe Beck, nice album all round.

Don't know 'Fear not for man', but 'Opposite people' is one of my favourite Fela LPs, and lovely to see OG Decca Afrodesia copies - rock solid pressings. Picked up a looks-rough-but-plays-perfect Afrodesia copy of the Lijadu Sisters 'Danger' recently - exactly a week before Soul Jazz reissued it.

Quote Originally Posted by john stapleton View Post
    Seconded on the Joe Beck, nice album all round.

Don't know 'Fear not for man', but 'Opposite people' is one of my favourite Fela LPs, and lovely to see OG Decca Afrodesia copies - rock solid pressings. Picked up a looks-rough-but-plays-perfect Afrodesia copy of the Lijadu Sisters 'Danger' recently - exactly a week before Soul Jazz reissued it.
    Well to my ears it has the same sound John so I'm guessing you'd like Fear. UK Decca must have done something 'special' to the vinyl specifically for the African market knowing they'd have to suffer some rough environmental extremes
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Lovely stuff there Nige! ...but where's your Battered Ornaments??
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

a mixed bag as usual

This Bolan 45 from a charity shop - I wanted it for the (unreleased at the time) John's Children tune - which I guess makes this 80s 45 the original issue - I knew one would turn up eventually

The Lillac Hand of Menthol Dan

Went to a very mediocre record fair but I did find a few good 45s - one dealer had a wee stash of singapore 45s and eps including this

Hush

v cheap spare of this VG+ fave - going to the NE

Beast Day

soul bootleg for pence

Best Thing For You Baby

spare brassy 'mod' dancer

There You Go

Fave find at the fair - v cheap heavy psych / glam dancer

The Wizard

cheap but scuffed up copy of this well known funker - not had one before!

Bold Soul Sister

Early 70s pop promo - took a punt for a quid - it OKish

Nice bit of funky soul in the same pile

Why Cant They Leave Us Alone

A big Fuz spin

cheap reggae

Some LPs

Nice Prince Far I.
    Cranium Pie (number 21 if anyones interested) - great stuff.
    Mel Lewis out of a charity mainly for the version of 'Get Out My Life Woman' - who sampled the start of that then - it's been bugging me.
    Humble Pie 2nd LP - nice when it's nice.
    Ten Wheel Drive - 2 tracker IMHO
    Hallo 9 - patchy as usual but some great tunes on there.

The Sorrows is a Spanish 1981 repress but it'll do until a proper one comes along - great LP!
    Season - not even cracked the seal yet
    Can - I want more 12 - will get rid of 'flow motion' now as I reckon its shite apart from that tune
    Big Ben Banjo Band - Beatles go Banjo - I had to pick this out of the charity shop and I'm glad I did as it really makes me laugh when i put it on
    BBC Radiophonics - spare and gone.
    Geoff Love - spare and not gone

Last edited by LDJB; 04-03-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Thumbs up

Great stuff there as usual Lee mate.

Wish I knew you needed a copy of 'Bold soul sister' as Dave had one a while back....

Ive got that BBC Radiophonics BTW.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

found 'todays top titles no1' (concert hall svsc 2615) got 3 great covers on it, the mar-keys philly dog, booker t and the mg's hip hug her & rodgers collins she's looking good, awful version of arthur brown's fire as well, there seems to be a few exploitation titles on concert hall, has this label been covered on VG+?
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

Sorry no pics, but here are my finds from the weekend...

Nucleus "Elastic Rock" (Vertigo)
    Real nice Vertigo swirl, the last piece of my Nucleus jigsaw - well, apart from that Ian Carr album...

Lee Perry "Disco Devil" 12-inch (Black Ark)
    Scratch goes freestyle over Chase The Devil. Brilliant.

Negril "Negril" (Klik UK)
    British issue of this amazing reggae/jazz album. My second copy in six months, glad to have found a minter because my JA copy has a nasty pressing fault. Enjoy "Lighthouse".

Vaughan Thomas "self-titled" (Jam)
    My first ever Jam LP. Folky rock. Strange mix of covers and oddly-titled original compositions. I dunno, I'm still working it out. Produced by Mike Batt. Anyway, an LP on Jam... First one I've ever seen..???

Ruby Andrews "Just Loving You" (Zodiac)
    Absolutely classic Northern 45 - wasn't cheap but then again it wasn't the price it often commands. Just lovely, lovely music.

Frank Wilson "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)" (Motown)
    The official 1979 UK release, demo 45. Really nice copy of the Northern standard. I don't care if it is considered played-out, I've loved this song since I was a nipper.

Wayne Smith "Under Me Sleng Teng" (Jammys)
    It's all about that riddim.

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Lovely stuff there Nige! ...but where's your Battered Ornaments??
    Still in the shop Lee. Instalments being paid so I'll hopefully have it this time next year

Tasty stuff there Lee. Always amazes me how you (and a few others on here) pull really interesting looking 45's at charities. Total shite whenever I look.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Campag Record View Post
    Total shite whenever I look.
    Same here Nige mate.

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    Same here Nige mate.
    ....erm Miller?

Only the Bolan was from the charity although having said that the charities have been good with the 45s of late. I've got a couple put by in the Oxfam music one for pricing - this means I'll pay more than if I left them to price it and put it out

Dr Marigold's Prescription - Pictures Of Love does tend to disappoint. I don't think its bland pop so much as it is best seen as a post Band's "Music From The Big Pink" UK stab at Americana. One I actually keep going back to. In some wasy like some of those Grateful Dead albums that had very psychedelic sleeves but a lot of country, bluegrass and jugband type sounds therein.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

stopped off to check the 2nd hand bins at Conch (lovely place, you should all drop by) and got myself a superb copy of Les Baxter's Hells Belles OST - it's barely left the decks since I got it home.

Two heavies means no more records for for a while...

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Quote Originally Posted by mattB View Post
    Please tell me that wasn't in the wild

At least I know it actually does exist, I suppose.
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Quote Originally Posted by Plainstone View Post
    Please tell me that wasn't in the wild .
    Yeah mate. In the wild. A little place called Kokubunji if memory serves. 100yen.

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Yeah mate. In the wild. A little place called Kokubunji if memory serves. 100yen.

Aha, well in that case it must have been the one I got rid of when I upgraded
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Brast Burn - - a mellow listen if ever there was one - - top score..!
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Red face

....erm Miller?
    I view that a bit differently as I help them out the back, I mean just walking into a charity and the stuff is out already!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AlanP View Post
    stopped off to check the 2nd hand bins at Conch (lovely place, you should all drop by) and got myself a superb copy of Les Baxter's Hells Belles OST - it's barely left the decks since I got it home.
    Great find mate, I'm not surprised it hasn't left the deck since!

Lightbulb

Mel Lewis out of a charity mainly for the version of 'Get Out My Life Woman' - who sampled the start of that then - it's been bugging me.
    That's one of my favourite versions. ...Kool G Rap and DJ Polo.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Theese are from the last two months.
    First off, some from the local indoor fleamarket.

Will probably keep the pink floyd, rest is going to the booter pile.

More from the same flea. Allways nice to find cohen. Am going to listen to Sinatra. Both Sinatra and Armstrong are probably going to the booter pile.

From a local kind of semi secret used records and books store. It had a half price sale, so got these for very cheap.
    Gong is ok if you like gong.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nu6X5yLrac
    Mayall, is a bit to oldschool for my likings on this one, but still kind of ok http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lza61XYa1uI
    The straight to hell soundtrack is great if you like the pouges and Joe Strummer.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YVqt...eature=related

Some 7ens from a local charity. I like the tremeloes because they sometimes have great b sides.

Finaly some records from a local charity close to where i work. It goes to show that it can be a good thing, to look through the clasical record pile. Sometimes the old charity ladyes will mistake folk and prog records for clasical and place them there. One of The local record hunters/dealers had just left, but did not look through the clasical pile.
    Found theese. The first is disco and crap, in my opinion. The next is easy listening prog, and crap. In my opinion.
    The last one Akropolis has the worst cover ever, but turned out to be pretty rare danish prog. Best find this month
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Log7neeorSE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqTCYn8Td2g
    Last edited by fnoev; 05-03-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fnoev View Post
    Gong is ok if you like gong.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nu6X5yLrac
    No. If you like Gong it's fantastic.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

It turns out that The Ventures Perform The Jim Croce Songbook isn't a good as I'd hoped. And I wasn't aiming high.

Another epic, in da prog sense, fail was The Enid. If I'd known thu were lead by a former member of Barclay James Harvest I would not have spent that euro. Must have mixed them up with The Eloy.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Quote Originally Posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
    The Enid. If I'd known thu were lead by a former member of Barclay James Harvest .
    "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3