Thread: BBC4 - Southern Rock doc

Default BBC4 - Southern Rock doc

not seen this mentioned or if it was a repeat or not - was on Friday night.

watched this on Iplayer yesterday, also the Southern Rock at the BBC clips that followed were good (except for the two terrible Johnny Winter numbers).

impressive beard count throughout and plenty of Les Paul action

(not sure if the southern flag hanging behind Lynyrd Skynyrd on the Old Grey Whistle Test was intentionally upside-down or not )

I've a largely ambivilent relationship with this stuff. I certainly remember watching Skynard do Freebird on a rerun of OGWT and being very bored after about 8 minutes and realisi with dread that only one of three guitarists had played his solo. Similarly the Allmans tend to go on a bit. But when they could reign the excess in there could be some interesting bits.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

It was also good to watch the OGWT Capricorn Records Picnic film again after about 35 years.

Still hanging on to my Sea Level, Wet Willie, Allmams, Stillwater collections.

Very enjoyable to watch partic Atlanta Rhythm Section, taking me back to a sunny afternoon at Knebworth circa 197? as support for Genesis and Devo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMAo0m4E4Lc

Yes, I can remember Devo getting quite a bit of stick from some of the crowd who obviously thought they were a bit too "New Wave" to be on the bill.

Then there was Grace Slick's non appearance with the co-headliners.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkatron View Post
    Yes, I can remember Devo getting quite a bit of stick from some of the crowd who obviously thought they were a bit too "New Wave" to be on the bill.

Then there was Grace Slick's non appearance with the co-headliners.
    Haha yeah but they did a good job heading away the beer cans whilst still continuing to play, lucky they wore helmets

We are Devo !

Forgot that, Jefferson Starship as well
    Last edited by reza; 15-04-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Quite enjoyed that - thanks to the tube posting - I think I need to re-buy a coupel of the Allman Brothers LPs I sold in the 90s

Made a nice pre-cursor to the "Such Hawks, Such Hounds" doco of heaver Psyched/Stonner/Doom/Rocker bands... Eric
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Enjoyed watching that, and hats off to ANYONE who walked round the deep south flying their freak flags and playing in mixed-race bands back in the late 60s, but seriously, does ANYONE think anything any of those bands featured put out touches stuff like Otis Clay or Freddie Scott for soul or grit or gravy, or early Little Feat for brass and balls?

I love the South but they sure did a bad job of eulogising the right folk.
    To infinity - and beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by jakartajive View Post
    does ANYONE think anything any of those bands featured put out touches stuff like Otis Clay or Freddie Scott for soul or grit or gravy, or early Little Feat for brass and balls?
    Like JK (not wishing to offend anyone) - but yip - to move with a mixed race band to a small "back water" town in the light of the climate of the late 60s was a bit of a death defying move...

On the Clay, Scott and Little Feet (the latter a recent rediscovery via an old mate) - No, but would these there have linked so neatly to the path to the white house via Capricorn Records
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Just watched the doc last night. Like so many things much of it sounds so much better on paper than in reality. Other than some early Allman Brothers I can happily leave it all. Pleasant to hear once in a while but having bought various Capricorn things and being disappointed more often than not I remain to be convinced. But surely there must be some stuff thats like LC/Allmans etc but less tedious?

Also whaddaboud Tony Joe White? Insufficiently rocking I would imagine to be included udner the banner of Southern Rock.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel