Thread: Mystery record? Shades of Blue - Weak in the Knees - Psych Rock from Australia

Default Mystery record? Shades of Blue - Weak in the Knees - Psych Rock from Australia

Found in a charity shop in Kent recently - supposedly the band were Australian but recorded the record in Malaysia?

Not much on the web about this one - anyone have any ideas?

Yep...its included on "Diggin' Up Down Under" - a CD compilation on Elastic Cat.
    It's a decent enough sixties tune...info in the sleevenotes are as follows:

"Singer, guitarist Mike Foster penned this R&B romp and stomp in 1967 having fixated himself on the evident rise of R&B and beat music coming over the airwaves in his then native Malaya. Foster was stationed in Malaya in the sixties along with several thousand other Aussies and Brits.
    The Shades of Blue were lucky enough to win a comfortable place alongside The Sect, Tol Puddle Martyrs and Abstract Image in the 1968 Hoadley's Battle of the Sounds competition held in Melbourne that year, but it isn't known if the band packed up their bags and headed back to Malaya to retire."

Brad I would love to hear the B-side of the 45, is it as good as the A side?
    Also I would say that it's a Hong Kong pressing, looking at the typeset, despite being recorded in Malaya.

Quote Originally Posted by BradFrugal View Post

Found in a charity shop in Kent recently - supposedly the band were Australian but recorded the record in Malaysia?

Not much on the web about this one - anyone have any ideas?

Hi - the B-side is great too, actually. I might have to think about selling my copy soon

Hi - the B-side is great too, actually. I might have to think about selling my copy soon
    If both sides are great why sell it?
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Because I could do with the money, although it's difficult to estimate how much it might be worth

Uploaded by the drummer btw.

Excellent find. Have you tried G45 for further info?

A bit late to the party, but congrats on finding such a rare single and if you are still thinking of finding a new home for it, please let me know!

The Shades of Blue were formed by members of the British Army stationed out in Malaysia and their drummer was the late Jazz Summers, then an army radiographer. You may not have heard of him, but he became one of music's most successful and respected artist managers. In 1975, Jazz went on to manage Richard Digance, followed by Blue Zoo, Danse Society, Wham!, Yazz, Coldcut, Lisa Stansfield, Soul II Soul, The Verve, Snow Patrol, Embrace, Badly Drawn Boy, La Roux and London Grammar amongst many others and also owned Big Life Records.

The band became well-known in Malaysia during 1967, earning a record contract with local label Life Records, releasing an EP and this single ‘Weak in the Knees’. Members alongside Jazz were Pat Diviney (an Australian citizen) on keys, Mick Foster on lead guitar, Archie McNaught on vox, Graham Tilly on bass guitar and lead singer Pete MacLean. Jazz also managed the band and accepted an offer from the US Air Force to tour Vietnam air bases during the height of the conflict. Jazz’s Army superiors got wind of this plan and fearing a diplomatic incident, he was swiftly reprimanded and transferred out the unit leaving the band to continue with a replacement drummer.

The full story behind the Shades of Blue can be read in Jazz’s very entertaining autobiography, ‘Big Life’.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ;)

Interesting - I'd be willing to sell my copy, although it's not in great condition. It must be very rare, mind. It hardly ever crops up for sale

Glad I could help I have PMd you BradFrugal

Per Popsike, last one on eBay sold for $22 in January and was graded VG++
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

That seems very cheap for a record that turns up so infequently

Exclamation

Could be down to demand, just cos it doesn't turn up doesn't mean it always goes for money.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

That seems very cheap for a record that turns up so infequently
    You would say that as you're trying to sell a copy
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS