Thread: Camden record and tape exchange closed

Default Camden record and tape exchange closed

The end of an era.

Apparently it may be back in a smaller premises but I wouldn't bet on it.

Camden now has 3 record shops left to my knowledge.

Sounds That Swing on Parkway.
    Out On The Floor on Inverness Street.

And another one somewhere up by Camden Lock which I've never been to.

Camden scores on the doors

Record Shops 3 Pret A Manger 3

It's always grim to hear of a record shop closing even if it is the miserable place that was the Camden R&T Exchange. Camden was a good place for buying records but the rot set in when Rhythm closed down a few years back and the place has never recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman Gerald View Post
    It's always grim to hear of a record shop closing even if it is the miserable place that was the Camden R&T Exchange. Camden was a good place for buying records but the rot set in when Rhythm closed down a few years back and the place has never recovered.
    Too true.

Had you been in the shop in the last year?

First the soul basement was destroyed and then the whole shop just got worse and worse.

The manager left and got another job it was that grim.

Shame. I got some very nice things there over the years (Julie Covington's "The Beautiful Changes" album in the £1 albums for one!) so very sad that it's closed. I went in there when it first opened in 1982 (across the road from the current premises) and can still remember being thrilled to find 12s by New Order, Soul Sonic Force and Soft Cell for 40p each. Sigh...
    Drastically reduced to 72p

That is grim. Closed or closing? If closed, what's happening to the stock? A few (fairly) nice bits & pieces there last time I was in, & I think I've got a credit note somewhere & don't often get over to Notting Hill

Quote Originally Posted by highland cow View Post
    The end of an era.

Apparently it may be back in a smaller premises but I wouldn't bet on it.

Camden now has 3 record shops left to my knowledge.

Sounds That Swing on Parkway.
    Out On The Floor on Inverness Street.

And another one somewhere up by Camden Lock which I've never been to.

Camden scores on the doors

Record Shops 3 Pret A Manger 3
    Leeds scores on the doors:

Record shops 3
    Greggs 1,372
    Giving Up Food For Funk.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    Leeds scores on the doors:

Record shops 3
    Greggs 1,372
    All Ive got to say is never come to Newcastle as it's the hometown of Greggs!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman Gerald View Post
    Sad news indeed but to be fair Gerald the rot set in when your own shop shut down depriving us Camden goers of some real shopping experience. Camden is now definitely not the same.
    ::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    All Ive got to say is never come to Newcastle as it's the hometown of Greggs!
    Don't forget the bouncers we have here on the doors!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel blazer View Post
    Don't forget the bouncers we have here on the doors!
    We've also got that upmarket Greggs (Forget what they've branded it as!) next door to M&S!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    We've also got that upmarket Greggs (Forget what they've branded it as!) next door to M&S!
    Please tell me it's called Lord Greggs of Mayfair.
    Island of Terror
    Mounds and Circles
    The Pseudoscientific World Of TOMTIT

Some days are quite boring, today is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
    Please tell me it's called Lord Greggs of Jesmond.
    That's more like it.

There was a Doncaster hairdresser called Keith of Mayfair that my wife and I always use as an exaggerated example of the very best in life. Keith retired last year, presumably went back to Mayfair.
    Island of Terror
    Mounds and Circles
    The Pseudoscientific World Of TOMTIT

Some days are quite boring, today is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
    There was a Doncaster hairdresser called Keith of Mayfair that my wife and I always use as an exaggerated example of the very best in life. Keith retired last year, presumably went back to Mayfair.
    I like it.

I like it so much that Sunday to Thursday I'm going to be boring old Highland Cow of Finsbury Park but every Friday I'm going to wax my moustache and become K.O.M.

Sadly it is not Lord Greggs

Though you could safely doff your cap in this one at 3pm, but I wouldn't try it at 3am in the one near Central Station.

hopefully none of the other branches of exchange are at risk??

Sad news indeed

We're back from London today after one of our rare trips down from Deeside and had about an hour in the shop yesterday. Had a chat with one of the assistants about the lack of record shops in Camden and he mentioned that this one would be shut in an hour! I didn't realise that he was deadly serious!! It's never nice to read about a shop closing but hopefully the staff have been absorded into the other branches and have not lost their jobs as well.

Was in there for a brief nose around Thursday on my day off when they started pulling all the records out the racks. Came as a surprise to learn from the staff they were closing. No sale, just moving stock over. I was wondering why it had not been mentioned on here.

The shop looked like someone has fallen out of love with what they are doing.
    -
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
    but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

I was a regular at the Camden branch as I would often have an hour to kill before catching the train from Euston. Was in on Wednesday and they were busy packing up. Apparently the stock is going to be spread around the other shops. I have had good things out of here over the years; two Lorez Alexandria LPs on Impulse when the cheap jazz section downstairs had good regular turnover, springs to mind. It had been winding down for some while. I'd be very suprised if they keep the Birmingham shop open for much longer.

There does seem to be a few other shops dotted around in the market; a couple in the market on the right hand side, two in the little courtyard at the lock, and a couple in the bowels of the main horse-hospital place - also another toward the top on the right but it always seems to be closed. Again, the odd good thing; Mazzy Star and Judee Sill in recent times but hardly destination-record-shop.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Quote Originally Posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
    I'd be very suprised if they keep the Birmingham shop open for much longer.
    Stumbled across this store on a family trip to Birmingham a month or so ago, told my family (wife,mum,son) I'll just be a few minutes in the store and they gave me the usual "yeah right" looks. I've never seen such a shit hip hop/disco section in any MVE ever, damn I was in and out of that place in a flash, shit was depressing.

As for the Camden store I love that place, and its right across the road from my wife's hairdresser, so it couldn't be more handy, I like a lot of (new) disco and Balearic stuff and used to pick it up cheap as chips in there, real sad to see it go.

Not the best branch of the lot but it's always sad to hear a record shop (or a book store) closes down...

These Greggs cafeterias/pastry shops look horrid btw...
    Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Camden used to be really good for techno, hardcore and jungle 12" back in the late 90's/early 2000. Found some great stuff in the soul/hip hop basement and for a short period they had a 10p basement just up the road on the other side nearer the lock and i would often spend £5.00 or more on 10p tunes and struggle home on the train.

But it's been basically rubbish for the last couple of years. I would always see an argument between someone selling tunes and a member of staff when i was there.

whats killing these shops?

lack of people buying?
    internet sales?
    lack of stock?
    prices too high?

People selling on eBay.
    Part-time dealers selling on eBay because they give crap exchange.

I've always done well for my anything-goes 7" single fetish in the Camden shop, so I'll miss it. Hopefully the other branches will stay open (Notting Hill and Greenwich have been kind to me in the past; never been to the Soho branches.)

Quote Originally Posted by eric-adams View Post

lack of people buying?
    internet sales?
    lack of stock?
    prices too high?
    rent & rates
    SMOKE on SPOKE is OUT NOW!!!! >>> SEE HERE <<< 1970 East Anglian Heavy Rock with Psychedelic Flourishes and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by nebkins View Post
    Camden used to be really good for techno, hardcore and jungle 12" back in the late 90's/early 2000.
    I fully agree. Bought many 12's there, both old and new. When you were lucky and visited at the right moment you could find fresh new promo's.
    What comes to mind is that I found a white label promo of Dillinja's Twist 'm Out at about the same time it started getting played on Kool FM.

Sad to hear the shop is closed.

lack of people buying?
    internet sales?
    lack of stock?
    prices too high?
    As Col said, rent & rates is the big factor.
    Speaking to shop owners who are doing well, and one's who aren't, the main difference is the owner/buyer getting out & about to buy stock & not just sitting there hoping it comes in like it did in "the old days".

.....and from my visit to that very shop in Camden 2 months ago, trying to sell g+ condition Beatles LP's for £60 just isn't the way to go if you want to build a solid customer base. People just think you're taking the p*ss out of them
    The Sound of Salvation blog

Final Upgrade Genuine Archive Item
    Vault mint

lack of people buying?
    internet sales?
    lack of stock?
    prices too high?
    I have people wanting and buying the decent stuff. I ring them and they come in and buy it.

Shops can do internet sales . I do for the mid range stodge I find harder to sell. Though not much, as I do not have the time.

If I have made a mistake and priced something to high I reduce it till it sells, this only applies to decent rare records, I would not have time to go through cheap stodge and keep reducing it. Charity shop if it's been here to long.

Quote Originally Posted by Col Wolfe View Post
    rent & rates
    Entirely agree.

Where most small business struggles, something needs to change or be done to help and I don't mean ringing Mary Portas .

Scrap business rates for sole trader small business with single shop ownership, invent new business rate tax for companies owning multiple stores such as Tesco express. Multiple store tax perhaps would be a good name for it. This wouldn't harm the existing multi store companies as it would only be the same as the Business rates they are paying now, but would give the sole traders a better chance of survival.

Quote Originally Posted by antwhiplash2 View Post
    As Col said, rent & rates is the big factor.
    Speaking to shop owners who are doing well, and one's who aren't, the main difference is the owner/buyer getting out & about to buy stock & not just sitting there hoping it comes in like it did in "the old days".
    I can honestly say I have non stop records coming in, obviously of differing standards. But then I have no other record shops around me for miles.
    If I had a shop in London with red routes, congestion charges and no parking then I'm sure things would be different.
    -
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
    but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Col Wolfe View Post
    rent & rates
    Yep, this is what the stuff said. It wasn't that great a shop but better than the Soho one. Had plenty of stuff out of there over the years, especially a few years ago when Rhythm went under and suddenly MVE moved into it and there were rooms of bargain 12s, LPs and 45s...

Intoxica going too