Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: December Finds

Thumbs up

Nice finds there Ben mate, glad you've filled a few gaps in your Funkadelic collection, what do you make of the Eddie Hazel I remember being slightly disappointed, don't know wether that was all 95 WOF hype that left feeling slightly cold!?

The only thing that's missing in my Parliament/Funkadelic is Osmium, so you can imagine how happy I was for Lee pull a copy in front of me at Utrecht for a very reasonable price, jammy swine!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    Nice finds there Ben mate, glad you've filled a few gaps in your Funkadelic collection, what do you make of the Eddie Hazel I remember being slightly disappointed, don't know wether that was all 95 WOF hype that left feeling slightly cold!?

The only thing that's missing in my Parliament/Funkadelic is Osmium, so you can imagine how happy I was for Lee pull a copy in front of me at Utrecht for a very reasonable price, jammy swine!
    Oh, I don't even let Osmium enter my thought process. That's gonna have to be one I buy myself next birthday or summat.

As for Eddie Hazel, I really like it. But you do have to approach it as a '77 Parliament LP, rather than something reminiscent of the early 70s Funkadelic output. Some amazing grooves on it. In fact, it's possibly more Bootsy's LP, with Eddie Hazel a hired gun, with his six-string skills duly showcased.

Suppose that you have to have a soft-spot for peak-period Parliament to be properly into it. I can imagine anyone wanting Maggot Brain - The Sequel would be pretty gutted to find they've spent a fair bit of money to get summat that sounds more like 'Clones...'.

I got all those three off a single seller on GEMM by the way, really reasonable prices and American Eats Its Young was the cheapest at £7 (not that I wish to be vulgar by quoting prices) I just wanted to illustrate that you can still get a decent deal off of GEMM.
    If you will suck my soul, I will lick your funky emotions.

This year I hit a rut big time, I picked up some of my biggest (financially speaking) records ever but the majority of it didn't really register no matter how good it was. So whilst I kept picking up bits I've mostly listened to / focussed on new music. Then in a charity I never even bother to stop at as I haven't been able to work out why it has never got anything in it. They had a small pile of 45's that I had absolutely no idea what any of it was but luckily it was cheap enough for a blind punt.
    I definitely wont keep all of it and some of it was pretty unpleasant to these ears but some of it I really liked. The best thing was that it was all totally new to me. I mostly like the dancey, groovy/funky, synth/electronic tracks like Methodisha Tune, The H appy Few, Miss Kate or even Beast in Cages which to my ears is very similar to Trans Europe Express era Kraftwork. Some of the more hardcore tracks i.e. Hybrid Kids and 1-2-3 or Cardiac Arrest are not my thing but i'm glad I had the chance to listen to them. In the pile was a load of Stiff Records 45 all of which Im not really keen on but it is a label that I've been interested in hearing more of for a long while. My face today is the Miss Kate the b-side with the muffled vocals and drum break is fantastic! Any recommendations of tracks like Miss Kate would be greatly received.

A very random partial list of some of the more interesting tracks.

Methodisha Tune - Orchestras/LFO Eustone Records 45
    The Happy Few - Hunter/Heaven is so different/ Shut - Smug Records
    Beasts in Cages - My Coo Ca Choo/Sandcastles - Fresh 45
    Hybrid Kids - D'ya think im sexy/Catch a f-falling star Pipe Studios 45
    Miss Kate - Ebony Eyes/I Love You - TJM Records 45
    The Balls - I Love he balls/Dont Touch Me - Towerbell Records 45
    Mo Dettes - Twist and Shout - Deram flexi 45
    1-2-3-Cocks and Lions/Definite Paradise/Zip Nolan-JSO Records
    Ludus - My Cherry is in Sherry/Anatomy is not destiny - New Hormones 45
    The One Takes - Extended Play (Accident/Street Kids/Backdoor Dump/Eviction Orders) - No Choice Records 45
    DAF- Freundschaft/Gewalt- Mute 45
    DAF - Der Rauber Und Der Prinz/Tanz Mit Mir 45
    General Strike - My Body/Parts of My Body -Canal
    Cardiac Arrest E.P - A Bus for a bus on the bus/A cask for berates Party
    Food on the wall - torch Records 45
    Sir Alick and the Phraser - In Search of the Perfect Baby/Nursery Chymes - Black Noise 45

Last edited by Y1000; 09-12-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Wrong picture

Quote Originally Posted by Y1000 View Post
    They had a small pile of 45's that I had absolutely no idea what any of it was but luckily it was cheap enough for a blind punt.
    Excellent! Hopefully not found up my local High Street though
    http://tfl.gov.uk/bus/stop/490009784...reet?lineId=35

When you hear music, after itís over, itís gone, in the air, you can never capture it again.

Nice finds on the Ludus and Metal Urbain Y1000, would like to find them in the wild. Agree this year has been poor for finds. Had this discussion this morning with a few other diggers and no one has hit a "sweet spot" this year. Probably all those newspaper articles on vinyl as an investment has lead to people holding back on taking them to boots. One guy i know who advertises said rather than a call a week its gone down to a call a month.
    Even had one lady selling at a boot tell me she sold her record collection to a "professional record buyer"! Who the f***ks that? She wouldn't tell me!

Quote Originally Posted by korova View Post
    Nice finds on the Ludus and Metal Urbain Y1000, would like to find them in the wild. Agree this year has been poor for finds. Had this discussion this morning with a few other diggers and no one has hit a "sweet spot" this year. Probably all those newspaper articles on vinyl as an investment has lead to people holding back on taking them to boots. One guy i know who advertises said rather than a call a week its gone down to a call a month.
    Even had one lady selling at a boot tell me she sold her record collection to a "professional record buyer"! Who the f***ks that? She wouldn't tell me!

Funnily enough something opposite happened to me yesterday
    After dropping off the youngest Expiry at a kids party I had a couple of hours to spare and so wandered to some charity shops close by
    And what should I find but a bunch of library's and other things

Chappell - Ole Jensen and his Music

Bosworth Music - Summer Style - Anthony Mawer

Amphonic - Sound Stage 4 - Alan Parker

Chappell - Romantic Music Vol.2- Klaus Doldinger,

Chappell - Romantic Music Vol. 3 - Jacky Giordino, Johnny Hawksworth, Klaus Doldinger, Roger Webb, Ike Issacs

Chappell - National Music - Far East Vol. 1 - Robert Farnon, Nino Nardini, Roger Roger

Johnny Dankworth and his orchestra - London to Newport

George Martin and his Orchestra - And I Love Her

The Shadows - Out of the Shadows - (I'm in the grip of an instrumental fascintation!

[IMG][/IMG]

And some library 78s which I can't listen to! - L
    Are there any London plussers who can record these for me?

The All Stars/ Robert Farnon - After Hours - Down Home
    New Sounds/Nino Nardini - Runaround - Walkover
    The Big Band - Nino Nardini, Johnny Scott - Revolver, Mid-West, Guitar Chase, Cartoon Capers
    Roger Roger - Lotus Girl
    The Melodi Light Orchestra- Fire God

Have to say I'm pleased with my haul!
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by Sie Vulture View Post
    Yes, one of the last few I'm aware of and was actively looking for. These records still turn up for cheap, trust me. Back in June I found a Legion Of Doom for $8 that'll get taken into Disk Union next May and exchanged for exquisite Japanese jazz - unless you wanna have a punt..?

I'm currently trying to clean up and reference the Prophets Of The Ghetto twelve I found on this trip. Really good hip hop from 1999...
    Bargain then Sie. Hard to believe US guys who would claim to know their hip hop are obviously ignoring such records and it takes Euroman to spot them.

I own a copy of Legion Of Doom Sie.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Looks like a result Expiry...well done.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

From the "Tief market" yesterday:

The small: Frank Alamo, Les Mistigris (the first band of Barys Mango), Gunesh, The Phantoms, Piec Linii, Abba, Paul McCartney, Dalida, Amanda Lear, Leigarid, Fonoexpress
    Big: Trio Obektiv, Polyrhythmia (for the lovers of percussion - Sigfried Fink band) Salena Jones, etc...
    It was: "You take all or nothing" - for this reason many spares for trade.
    Last edited by gogo; 10-12-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Expiry2011 View Post
    Funnily enough something opposite happened to me yesterday

And some library 78s which I can't listen to! - L
    Are there any London plussers who can record these for me?

The All Stars/ Robert Farnon - After Hours - Down Home
    New Sounds/Nino Nardini - Runaround - Walkover
    The Big Band - Nino Nardini, Johnny Scott - Revolver, Mid-West, Guitar Chase, Cartoon Capers
    Roger Roger - Lotus Girl
    The Melodi Light Orchestra- Fire God

Have to say I'm pleased with my haul!
    Indeed, veeery nice haul!

I was in the same position with a couple of library 78s, but recently realized I could record them using Audacity at 45rpm, and then select the audio, and use the "Effect > Change Speed" menu option, which includes settings for converting between standard vinyl speeds. Bingo. Also managed to listen to a Moby Grape 78rpm track this way (although I probably shouldn't have bothered).

I am tempted to get one of those Rega Planar 78s, so I can actually listen to the few shellac ones I have... recently picked up a bunch of Spike Jones 78s which I am itching to hear. Maybe it's just as well I don't start collecting 78s as well, though...
    Last edited by Sonovox; 10-12-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post

Treated myself to filling a couple of OG gaps in my P-Funk / proper Funkadelic collection. These need no introduction or justification. Still my favourite band ever.
    Still making do with the 20 year old reissue of Let's Take It To The Stage (plus the S/T one). Saw a copy at Utrecht but 25 Euro was a bit too much. Nice score from GEMM Ben...must start checking that site! I was happy when I found that poster in my copy of AEIY but I paid a wee bit more than £7!

Quote Originally Posted by Expiry2011 View Post
    ... And some library 78s which I can't listen to! - Are there any London plussers who can record these for me?
    Do you know anyone with a Vestax portable..? They play 78's...
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

No, I wish! Someone very clever has our area very nicely tied up. I don't even think these would have made shop floor. Seeing the comic swap above does make me wish I had bought some of the annuals in BHF though. I knew they were worth more than the £2 sale price just didn't know what I would've done with them until now.

Quote Originally Posted by korova View Post
    It has to be something, as times really have changed. Every shop down here has a "record guy" who prices everything. Even shops where I've been going in for a long time won't let me look until the man has checked. It's a shame really, has eBay and Discogs been awash with new sellers?

The Ludos is great even a little bit jazzy IMO. Definatly a pick of the bunch. Couldn't get with Metal Urban though.

Quote Originally Posted by Y1000 View Post
    No, I wish! Someone very clever has our area very nicely tied up. I don't even think these would have made shop floor. Seeing the comic swap above does make me wish I had bought some of the annuals in BHF though. I knew they were worth more than the £2 sale price just didn't know what I would've done with them until now.
    It's been really grim down my High Street, I suspect there is someone taking advantage and not leaving it a level playing field. As an example, I got chatting to a "helper" who told me he collects disco; probably explains why no disco records ever reach the shop floor...

When you hear music, after itís over, itís gone, in the air, you can never capture it again.

Quote Originally Posted by medlar View Post
    It's been really grim down my High Street, I suspect there is someone taking advantage and not leaving it a level playing field. As an example, I got chatting to a "helper" who told me he collects disco; probably explains why no disco records ever reach the shop floor...
    If memory serves I think we share(d) a circuit, so that wont help either I suppose but I am certain it was easier in the past. Especially when you think that very many things like comics and vintage clothes/shoes, old computer game consoles are very collectable but donít seem to have an equivalent spotlight. It seems a bit mean to single out records for special scrutiny.

So, after saying I didn't normally post 45s finds, I picked up 110 of them for £6.70 at the car boot this week (90-odd at "fiver the lot" and another stack at 10p per punt). A good weekend's work, I feel. There were some rather nice bits and bobs in there, so here we go.

"Fiver the lot" was a mix of mostly late 60s soul plus punk, with an admixture of other (Mud, Shalamar, The Merton Parkas, Juicy Lucy...).

There are no less than four copies of rather catchy double A side You're To Blame / It's You I Want by local punk band The Cybermen, one with p/s, three without:

Beyond the Sex Pistols / Buzzcocks veins, there's also...

The Stukas - Sport. Really enjoying this, snarky funny catchy singalong stuff.

The Mutants - Boss Man. Great band name, sounds more like traditional heavy rock with a bit of surly thrown in.

More from The Electric Chairs, The Dickies, The Lurkers that I have yet to spin...

Starshooter - Betsy Party. Snotty French punk, "would you look at those trousers" on the cover.
    Bloody Mary - No One Is Real. More French gear, hard rock stuff, but somehow pleasantly off-kilter (probably the piano hammering along)
    Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child. No description needed here.
    The Flamingos - The Boogaloo Party. Absolute storming party groove.

Which brings us to the soul singles, I was pretty pleased with this lot, picked out some of the highlights for me:

Bob Brady and The Con Chords - Everybody's Going To The Love-In.

The Spellbinders - Help Me (Get Myself Back Together Again)

Leon Haywood - Mellow Moonlight

Al "TNT" Braggs - Earthquake

Bobby Wells - Let's Copp A Groove

Johnnie Taylor - Testify (I Wonna)

The Temptations - (Loneliness Made Me Realize) It's You That I Need

The Contours - Just A Little Misunderstanding (flip of this, "First I Look At The Purse", is great)

Otis Redding - Love Man

Jay and The Techniques - Baby Make Your Own Sweet Music

Also some nice other bits and pieces:

Tony Joe White - Polk Salad Annie. A slice of Southron foraging.

The Status Quo - Make Me Stay A Bit Longer. From back when they had a "The", I do like their early stuff.

And from the other pile, there were these:

Klark Kent - Don't Care. I love this, green vinyl, funny slice of new wave-y declaration of arrogance. Bit of googling found that this is an alias for Stewart Copeland. That same weird sense of humor that you find poking out on some of the Police tracks. Will have to track down the other Klark Kent stuff.
    The Human League - Empire State Human. Great sleeve on this early single.
    Sparks - Tryouts For The Human Race. I love my daily dose of Sparks at the moment, grabbed for the B-side long version of this track.
    Paul Evans and The Curls - Seven Little Girls Sitting In The Back Seat. Nice to have the orig version, as well as the Avons cover version.

Plus a bunch of New Orleans / trad jazz.

Hey Pete, the Cybermen 45 looks great in the label baggie - far better looking than the picture sleeve..!

(dunno if I'd like the music tho'..!)
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

damn rare 7" too Pete - finding 4 is a bit of an Xmas bonus !
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Every time I'm reminded of Empire State Human I end up singing it all day.
    Ohne Expedit geht das Abendland unter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sie Vulture View Post
    Hey Pete, the Cybermen 45 looks great in the label baggie - far better looking than the picture sleeve..!
    Yeah, I agree, and I've got several more of those sleeves in the box too, so I can upgrade from plain white to black and white elsewhere in my collection

Quote Originally Posted by Sie-Fly View Post
    damn rare 7" too Pete - finding 4 is a bit of an Xmas bonus !
    See what happens when Lee takes a weekend off the booter!

Nice finds Pete...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Nice haul there.
    'First I Look At The Purse' great lyrics and arrangement that pressing sounds great through the speakers.
    Did Lurkers have the gold flexi disc?
    Giving Up Food For Funk.

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    Did Lurkers have the gold flexi disc?
    No hidden gold flexis in this lot.

I do have a Bruton Music gold flexi advert tucked away somewhere...

Default (just joking...)

Quote Originally Posted by petehipwell View Post
    I do have a Bruton Music gold flexi advert tucked away somewhere...
    ... come back when you have the gold one and the silver one, part-timer...

Default Northeast Italy 2nd hand markets bargain bins picks

And

The 101 strings Baby, This Is Italy is the highlight here, bought mainly for the cover with the girl savouring some organisation, the musical content having nothing to do with Italy. Ranging from Animated Egg-akin fuzz workout with added string thrust to hendrixy guitars and phaser action.
    Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    101 Strings "Baby, This Is Italy" is the highlight here, ranging from Animated Egg-akin fuzz workout with added string thrust to hendrixy guitars and phaser action.

Yay.
    Yay indeed. Methinks that the best tracks off this album will have been released elsewhere under different names... I'll happily be proved wrong... Anyway, sounds like a great find..!

Missed a big jazz sale today. Kicking myself a little cause I heard it was pretty good and the prices are usually fair. Heard they had Albert Ayler on Debut, Introducing Johnny Griffin on Blue Note, not faves of mine, but still.

Did chance on this cheap at another place...:

Well having bemoaned the lack of finds round these parts, and having some use it or lose it holiday outstanding, I hit the chazzas I usually hit on a Saturday, this time will some modest success. Proof that stuff gets snaffled up quickly during the week...

A pile of sleeveless 45's yielded decent copies of:

The Animals - It's My Life / I'm Going To Change The World (Columbia)
    Ernie Fields Orchestra - In The Mood / Christopher Columbus (London)
    Alan Price Set - I Put A Spell On You / Iechyd-Da (Decca)
    Small Faces - Lazy Sunday / Rollin' Over (Immediate)
    Brenda Lee - Losing You / He's So Heavenly (Brunswick)

Albums:

Jackie Trent & Tony Hatch - The Two Of Us (Pye)
    Unexpectedly really good!
    Jackie Anderson & His Orchestra - Happy Music For Happy People (Decca)
    Caravan!
    Harold Smart - 29 Power Songs To All Our Friends (ar AD-RHYTHM)
    Enjoyable version of The Pink Panther
    Last edited by medlar; 13-12-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by makuma79 View Post
    Bought mine from this seller http://www.discogs.com/seller/Sean1956cricket he seems to have lots of good brazillian records.
    Well pricey though, pretty much Recordkingz prices, they should secret squirrel a few for further pisstaking escapades.

You want Brazilian records in EX for those prices.