Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues and gripes with vBulletin "why doesn't the X, Y or Z work properly" thread POST ALL HERE

Default Issues and gripes with vBulletin "why doesn't the X, Y or Z work properly" thread POST ALL HERE

ISSUES WITH POSTING ON VG+ (vBulletin-related)

Okay, I've started this sticky thread in the Not Record Related forum as there have been one or two 'plussers of late unhappy about the lack of certain functionality with the current version of vBulletin. I figured that, rather than gripe on about it in discussion threads, it would be better dealt with in a specific moan-zone where the Mods can find, log and deal with the technical problems associated with vBulletin V5.

One of the issues I'm finding is that a lot of the bespoke functions that we had and loved with V4 were automatically swicthed off when we upgraded to V5. Finding them and reinstating them is a bit of a challenge, but I keep looking.

This morning I dragged my aching corpse from my bed, made a coffee and sat down with the Control Panel and tinkered with one or two things. Here's a summary:-

- The mobile version of the forum has been activated. Let me know if it works...

- The "who's online" option has been switched on.

- I enabled a couple of the Java options, although I'm not sure if it'll make a difference (you'll have to let me know - I just closed my eyes and pressed the button...)

- The maximum number of characters per post has been temporarily disabled.

==========

The ongoing issues, as I see it, are as follows:-

- The "when I try to edit my post I see a blank box" problem that blights us all.

- Uploading images. I've re-enabled the functionality, but it wasn't working the last time I tried. Please use this thread to log the error messages you receive when trying to use this function.

EDIT: because the local upload function has been reinstated, this means that when uploading from a weblink (URL) please un-tick the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" tick-box, else you will receive the mother of all error messages.

- Auto-filling of usernames when sending PM's. I liked this, we had it with V4 but I can't reactivate it with V5. Will keep looking.

==========

So, please feel free to post in this thread, but remember the following disclaimer - this is not a wish list. We will investigate as best we can but cannot promise that your issue will be easily resolved. But we will try.

If you have a gripe about the forum functionality, please PM/email Ashra or myself. PM's or emails sent to others may not be responded to, please do not assume they will have been forwarded for our attention.

Cheers,
    Sie
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sie Vulture View Post
    Auto-filling of usernames when sending PM's. I liked this, we had it with V4 but I can't reactivate it with V5. Will keep looking.
    This now appears to be working again. For example, create a new PM and in the recipient box type 'ric' or 'ian'.. I got a short list of all usernames that begin with those three characters.

Try it. Oh Mr Hero will be happy....
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

The mobile version of the forum has been activated. Let me know if it works...
    This seems to be working okay, I just need to take the forum logo and create a smaller version of it...

Thumbs up

Try it. Oh Mr Hero will be happy....
    You know me well, I'm a man of simple pleasures.

Well done for fixing that and thanks for initiating the thread, Sie. I'll try and remember anything else I've spotted. It would probably be useful if any gripes were accompanied by information such as browser used, PC or Mac, etc. as that may help pin the problem down.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

This seems to be working okay, I just need to take the forum logo and create a smaller version of it...
    Right - check out the mobile version - should now format to your screen correctly, including a tiny VG+ logo..!

ISSUES WITH POSTING ON VG+ (vBulletin-related)

- The "who's online" option has been switched on.
    Hi Sie
    Just noticed today some bizarre names popping up on the Who's Online thread:

pekDyncclinoqzq
    Beevacear
    womwfynz

(etc etc etc)
    I searched them in Members and they're not there?

Not a gripe. Just a bit mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Townsend View Post
    pekDyncclinoqzq, Beevacear, womwfynz
    Well spotted..! These are the names of the spam accounts that hit the site each and every day - about 100 new spam accounts per day. Don't worry, they don't get past the doorman.

Well spotted..! These are the names of the spam accounts that hit the site each and every day - about 100 new spam accounts per day. Don't worry, they don't get past the doorman.
    And this has to be one of our biggest success stories.

just a small quirk. When not logged in and on a thread you can press the reply with quote button and this forces a login and then a reply. Why no simple reply button also.
    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsechaser View Post
    When not logged in and on a thread you can press the reply with quote button and this forces a login and then a reply. Why no simple reply button also.
    I thin it is indeed 'just a quirk' with vBulletin. Nothing we can control/alter...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Townsend View Post
    Hi SieJust noticed today some bizarre names popping up on the Who's Online threadekDyncclinoqzqBeevacearwomwfynz(etc etc etc) I searched them in Members and they're not there?Not a gripe. Just a bit mad!
    The Venusian branch of the VG+ family?

Talking

- Auto-filling of usernames when sending PM's. I liked this, we had it with V4 but I can't reactivate it with V5. Will keep looking.

Sie
    God yes I am missing that. Just checked back now to see if that had been reported. Reply with quote has helped me write this as not logged in when I came back

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsechaser View Post
    God yes I am missing that. Just checked back now to see if that had been reported.
    This is now fixed (see post #2)

Oops sorry so it is yes. That's me catching up on my pm's then

Question An idea.

- The "when I try to edit my post I see a blank box" problem that blights us all.
    With respect to this, try copying and pasting links into the appropriate pop-up window (using the buttons along the top of the frame you type in - hover your mouse and you'll see Link, Insert Image, etc.) rather than copying and pasting HTML and tags directly from Photobucket, etc. Does this make a difference? It appears to, for me, but I haven't properly tested it to any conclusion yet (and it doesn't resolve why pasting text into the text editor should break it).
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

The mobile version is working fine. It's a bit of a culture shock, my eyes will have to get used to not squinting, but it seems to be vastly improved. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by ashra View Post
    ...my eyes will have to get used to not squinting
    Depends if you need to look at the logo... ... that was as 'big' as I could make it before it altered the page size of the mobile version...

Also the embedded youtube clips are a little too wide for my mobile when viewed vertically. Hmm maybe I should try holding it sideways!

Next job is figuring out how to bookmark the 'what's new page' so I can stick it to my home screen
    MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Quote Originally Posted by ashra View Post
    Also the embedded youtube clips are a little too wide for my mobile when viewed vertically. Hmm maybe I should try holding it sideways!
    Yeah, not sure how to fix that one...

I hate hanging around the vBulletin forum. Do you find it a depressing sort of place..?

Not sure this qualifies as a gripe because I never knew how to do this in the first place... but how do you start a poll?
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    Not sure this qualifies as a gripe because I never knew how to do this in the first place... but how do you start a poll?
    Post A New Thread> look down the screen at "Additional Options"> after "attachments" and "subscription", you should see "post a poll".

Quote Originally Posted by alanmck View Post
    Post A New Thread> look down the screen at "Additional Options"> after "attachments" and "subscription", you should see "post a poll".

Thankingyouverymuchlysir!
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Once again I can't post images any more unless I write all that [IMG] stuff by hand.
    Same old problem I had before you fixed it around a year ago. box comes up - URL or Computer. Click URL, disactivate ticked box - submit button disappears.
    I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    Once again I can't post images any more unless I write all that [IMG] stuff by hand.
    Same old problem I had before you fixed it around a year ago. box comes up - URL or Computer. Click URL, disactivate ticked box - submit button disappears.
    Okay... so the boxes at the bottom of the dialogue box that say OK and CANCEL disappear, meaning that you can't close the box..?

Tried the new mobile forum and was dissapointed to find that I couldn't see a 'what's new' or 'new posts' button
    Is it very difficult to add one?
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by Expiry2011 View Post
    Tried the new mobile forum and was dissapointed to find that I couldn't see a 'what's new' or 'new posts' button
    Right... when you arrive at the mobile forum, look at the the right hand side of the top of the page - across from the logo - there's a small square with 9 little boxes in it..? Press that, then click on "what's new". Hopefully that should get you quickly to where you need to be...

Okay... so the boxes at the bottom of the dialogue box that say OK and CANCEL disappear, meaning that you can't close the box..?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    Once again I can't post images any more unless I write all that [IMG] stuff by hand. Same old problem I had before you fixed it around a year ago. box comes up - URL or Computer. Click URL, disactivate ticked box - submit button disappears.
    Does anyone else have this problem..? I can't find it on the support forum as a known bug with the vBulletin software and so am starting to wonder if it may be a local thing with BC's PC...

If anyone has this same issue, please let myself or Ashra know...

it may be a local thing with BC's PC...

It happens on both my work and home PCs here. Both are on IE (I keep trying to go to firefox but everyone keeps switching back.) The work machines admittedly a piece of shit but this one usually works OK,

I only use IE... hmmm, proper confusing one this. I'll keep looking..

I only use IE... hmmm, proper confusing one this. I'll keep looking..
    sie - please don't knock yourself out unless it's a widespread problem. I managed fine before.
    to be honest I was going to post about how well the forum had seemed to survive the switch, compared to stuff I've seen happen elsewhere. then this happened today. But just to me.