• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Y1000
    Electric Prunes
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
    Nice finds sir. One proper killer track on that 'Heavy Gravy' and I really like the beat jazz on 'young friends'! Don't know the other De Wolfe 10" - whats it like?
    Payola by London Studio Group is really nice. All the tracks are composed by Jack Trombey and directed by Keith Papworth. The best tracks to my ears have a similar feel and sound to the tracks I liked on Heavy Gravy (after only one listen) all are on the B-Side with the real highlights being Pow Pow Pow and Counter Espionage. The A side is very close in sound to the other 10” Young Friends. I have tried to find sound clips but Youtube didn’t have any.

Comment

• Y1000
      Electric Prunes
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
      Logic doesn't really seem to be these people's strong point - "No one wants these" "Well, I might, and anyway how do you know if you don't put them out?"
      This! At the very least give us the chance to look. I blame Mary Portas, who wants light and airy in a charity shop?

Comment

• Rich Hero
        Mad Curry
        • Jun 2002

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
        the single charity shop near me sends "old books" for recycling. I saw them bagging up loads of paperbacks and asked what they were doing. They only put out recent looking stuff, so any old Penguins etc that get donated don't even get out on the shelves.
        My local Oxfam has a stand of old Penguins, Pelicans, Fontanas and so on for 50p each and, since ETK pointed them out, I've bought these more often than records, mainly for the fantastic sleeves. In the hoary old chestnut that is the charity shop debate, it's the filtering of the stock that gets my goat rather than pricing.
        Originally posted by Y1000 View Post
        This! At the very least give us the chance to look. I blame Mary Portas, who wants light and airy in a charity shop?
        I reckon, there's a very strong correlation between laminate flooring and a lack of records in charity shops. I made my local rounds last weekend and two more of the shops had been made over. I just hope that overall this translates into bigger profits for the charities.
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

• Brainbomb
          Chocolate Rain
          • Jan 2005

Cheap soundtrack spotted and picked up - Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Many quite schmaltzy songs, but quite nice and a I really like the orchestral jazzy duet:

But it has a couple of uptempo groovy bits as well, the standout being this "a go go" style intro with a sitar delivering a quite freaked out solo:

Once again I felt a bit like the old school Vinyl Vulture - picking up something for cheap and finding sitar groove.
          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• mr sayers
            Chocolate Rain
            • Jan 2005

Nice find mate, great track, I put it on one of Xmas swap mixes.
            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Sonovox
              Electric Banana
              • Jun 2012

Lunchtime charity shop rummage turned up a Movement, Mime and Music for 50p.

Comment

• Head Gardener
                Lonely Jelly
                • Jan 2004

Listen : http://minicasts.podomatic.com/play/1451274/6110382
                The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

• dickrambone
                  Animated Egg
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
                  I've got this single.Taurus Park is a great track, and there is a follow up record but beware its rubbish.

Comment

• medlar
                    Chocolate Rain
                    • Dec 2005

Sod all down the local High St as per usual, so took a walk a little further afield to get some olives and parsley and found some records in a place that usually has, er, sod all, but, what's this!?

Dolores Gray - Warm Brandy (Capitol) lp

Smoother that the lushest velvet, really nice

Manos Hadjidakis - Lilacs out of the dead land (Columbia) lp

Les Brown - Concert at the Palladium 1 & 2 - (Vogue) lp

Includes a slamming version of Caravan, great big band bizniz

Judy Garland - Judy in Love (Capitol) lp

I like this big band stuff, must be the age
                    Last edited by medlar; 17-03-2013, 01:59 PM.
                    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• candiman
                      Electric Prunes
                      • Nov 2012

Notes from my (now regular) Friday pm chazza trawl.
                      British Heart Foundation: not known to be big in vinyl from my experience but this particular one has always had a fair amount of albums, and more importantly regular turnover. And they have let me out the back before now. Yesterday nothing. Asked if they had any and got the reply “don’t keep them anymore, we hardly get any”. Huh? So what do you now if you do get any? “Send them to another shop”. A BHF aggregator then.

Sue Ryder: Two crates of albums most of which I had seen before. Most marked at £2 but some not priced.
                      Me: How much are the records? Reply: They are different prices because some are much better than others.
                      Me: How much are the ones that aren’t marked? Reply: I was ignored
                      Me: How much are the ones that aren’t marked? Reply: £1
                      Took two unpriced ones to the till. Different lady rung them up at £2 each. I said they were a £1. “Who told you that?”. Your colleague over there. After a brief discussion between them I got them for a £1 each and left them discussing how much they should be charging for their albums.

Here are the two I bought which were the pick of the bunch both in terms of condition and content!

Nancy Wilson: Early Thom Bell , Gamble-Huff. All the covers on this are great (e,g, "Bridge Over Troubled Water", "Make It With You"). really like "Joe" too - Delfonics style orchestration.
                      Nancy & Lee. Great album, nuff said.

During the same trawl I also picked up these:

Big Band Soul – The Detroit Sound. Well known around these parts I think. What exactly is Come Together doing on The Detroit Sound?
                      Bill Withers – Use Me. Good B side too, and excellent condition.

An afternoon well spent.

Comment

• Headless mermaid
                        Chocolate Rain
                        • Mar 2005

From this week:

Schooly D: Saturday Night lp - embarrassingly missing for 25 years from mmy Classic Rap collection
                        Whistle LP incl Just buggin bonus remix 12" - NM for 1 Euros I couldn't resist
                        Puba: Off the hook boot 12" - great overlooked late 90s joint from Puba
                        Cannonball Adderley w Yusef Lateef: Brother John 7" - sounds like the Live in japan version, incredible spriritual jazz either way
                        El Chicano: Don't put me down/Sugar sugar 7"
                        Donny Hathaway: The ghetto 7" - nice to have on 7
                        The Capitols: Afro twist/Cool jerk '68 7"
                        Clarence Carter: Thread the needle/ Don't make my baby cry 7"
                        Lollipops: Sussy Moore/Love is a game for two 7" - Danish beaty rock
                        LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

• Expiry2011
                          He's going, going... gone.
                          • Mar 2008

Was very surprised to find something interesting in a charity shop today
                          Oleg Lundstrem conducts the Variety Orchestra
                          There's one track on it that I know I know but I cant place it
                          Anyone know anything about it? Perhaps some of our Eastern European posters can shed some light on it for me?
                          "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

• relkeel
                            Ugly Custard
                            • Jun 2007

Big Band Soul – The Detroit Sound. Well known around these parts I think. What exactly is Come Together doing on The Detroit Sound?

Good question! Though not one that ever occurred to me before despite it's obviousness. Ironically ,that, and 'Nowhere To Run' are the best two tracks on it (IMO). Actually I've been trying to get rid of it for ages to no avail. Maybe I need to drop my £25* asking price.

* only kidding.
                            record licker

Comment

• Sonovox
                              Electric Banana
                              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by candiman View Post
                              I think Diana Ross covered it on Everything Is Everything the year before.

Comment

• relkeel
                                Ugly Custard
                                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by petehipwell View Post
                                I think Diana Ross covered it on Everything Is Everything the year before.
                                Oh for sure,but a bit tenuous for 'Detroit Sound".
                                record licker

Comment

Working...
                                X