Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: March finds 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sie Vulture View Post
    Just a few bits this weekend - no camera to hand so please excuse Google images...

THROBBING GRISTLE "Heathen Earth" (Industrial Records)
    1980 studio 'live' album. The usual sounds of the descent into a nightmare that TG fans know and love...

I bloody love this record. Only got it on CD and couldn't even find that last time I looked!
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    Got a spare of this lesser spotted Vulture classic from the market this morning -

Quote Originally Posted by Sie Vulture View Post
    I agree - a VV classic that doesn't show up very often..!

I threw this in to the middle of my recent swap CD - I've got the 45 and the album but it's all about the one tune. Shouldn't think the kids knew what to make of it all - especially as it neither sounds or looks anything like Bugs Bunny...
    Boy George knew my father

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Quote Originally Posted by alanmck View Post
    good work, LLMOD, some very good records there.

New Steps (with the woozy version of Favourite Things, Where There Is No Sun, etc) got reissued a year or so ago too, along with "Other Voices, Other Blues"
    That is some haul. New Steps is one of my favourite Sun Ra's. I really like the small group stuff from that period, but OGs are elusive and expensive both here and online.
    http://www.oneboxrecordfair.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo

You got exhalation, you got inhalation ... you screw it up you got mutilation. Know what I mean?

(=^ェ^=)

Default This post contains images of highly distressed records, which may be disturbing to some viewers

Another other things, £1 for a job lot of 44 singles in varying condition from the boot sale. Varying in condition from "fair" to "destroyed", that is. Absolutely covered in dust and grime. However, a mixed pile of Indian and Pakistani singles from around 1965 to 1970? I don't think I even have any other Pakistani vinyl, so hey ho, it looks like it's rubber gloves time.

They really have been through the mill, most look like they will be playable at least, but about half of them have some label damage, some severe. I've never seen this before, but some the labels are literally rotting away, flaking off into powdery dust. Can anyone suggest a way of stablising them to prevent the labels getting any worse, spray on lacquer or something? Here's an example,
    copy of Hare Rama Hare Krishna with Dum Maro Dum... the only one I recognized in the lot (I am no Bollywood expert).

There's one or two in the pile I'll never even identify, the labels are so thrashed. Oh well. On the bright side there are 4 or 5 lovely colored vinyl discs -- these all seem to be Urdu, and quick needledrops suggest there may be some interesting stuff there -- here's an example:

Really had no chance to listen to anything much, but I did find a top version of "That Happy Feeling" by Bert Kaempfert on here, with Indian instrumentation:

I reckon most of them are the big Bollywood hits of the era, but it will be interesting to dig in and see what I can find. Few more examples:

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    8 track Mirage Man 'mini LP'

Great stuff! That Mirageman looks fantastic. I got the two Irma La Douce reissues years ago, and thought that was the lot, but looks like there are tracks on this not included on those... Killer, Tapioca.

Quote Originally Posted by petehipwell View Post
    I did find a top version of "That Happy Feeling" by Bert Kaempfert on here, with Indian instrumentation:
    Found on YouTube:

One of the local charities had finally dumped all their old lame recs and gotten a few new in, incl. some jazz and groovy stuff. They closed 30 secs after I walked in so grabbed these on a whim for 1 Euros each...:

C.K. Mann Big Band: s/t - from Ghana feat. Ebo Taylor
    Yusef Lateef: Morning - 70s set of 3 early Savoy releases, incl. the majestic Morning
    Larry Corryell: Basics - unreleased from 1968, usually not a fan of the cosmic guitar noodlings but it was quick
    Jeanne Bichevskaya: s/t - on melodiya from 1974, hoping for some East psych folk or something
    Zulfu Livaneli - Eskiya Dunyaya, Hukumdar Olmaz - Turkish from 1974, maybe Turkish psych folk?

Is that Balsara and his Singing Sitar?

Re: Headless Mermaid

I've got 3 out of 4 of Leif Strands Kammarkörs collaborations with jazz musician, and they're all good. Like jazz hymns, at times mellow and spiritual, other times working up great groove. Pay attention next time you see one because they all look so similar it's easy to think you already have the particular one you see at home. Took me some time to realize there's 4 of them for this reason so I've probably missed the opportunity to fill that gap a few times before I realized. Should surface sooner or later though - they are at leat relatively common in charities etcetera and one of the more interesting things you can find for peanuts fairly often.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Myself - I got gout (I believe it's called) this weekend. Not fun at all. I urge everyone to buy some diclofenac and keep it at home just in case - for 12 hours I lay awake during the night feeling like someone pounded my foot with their fist as hard as they could once for each of my heartbeats plus pushed a needle into it 2-3 times an hour and jerked it around a couple of minutes.

But before it turned that bad, when I had only a bit of pain I limped to a record shop to pick up the last expensive library I put away some months ago:

Plus Weather Report Live in Tokyo which is amazing. A much freer sound than their studio recordings and lots of electronic effects on the piano and occassionally violin. Pends between mellow almost spirtual stuff too groovy electro-funk-jazz bits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpOod68NQs&t=84m55s

And filling the last gap in the Magma-I-Need department. Probably an acquired taste that some of you will hate and some will love:

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

US private press heavy shredder.

Giving Up Food For Funk.

Giving Up Food For Funk.

What are these like then? Boyd McCoy and Courtship in particular...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Can only find a clip of the b side but 'Locomotive Woman is the 'it' side.
    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/boyd%20mccoy
    Courtship is psych tinged slow paced cover.
    Goldie Zelkowitz is sleazy funky rock.
    Giving Up Food For Funk.

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    US private press heavy shredder.
    etc

Wild, fair, or letterbox could I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post
    etc

Wild, fair, or letterbox could I ask?
    McCoy was from yesterdays carboot out of a pound box. The rest are a mix of market/carboot.
    Giving Up Food For Funk.

Quote Originally Posted by smashingcheesegromit View Post
    oh yes thats the fellow,comes up with some interesting bits eh!
    evening gents.

Nice selection of 45s there Relkeel! What's that Clansmen one like? Certainly looks the part. I love that Mekons 45 - proper DIY punk builder.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

copy of Hare Rama Hare Krishna with Dum Maro Dum... the only one I recognized in the lot (I am no Bollywood expert).

I'm reading Jeet Thayil's Bombay junkie novel Narcopolis at the moment, and there's a whole chapter named after this tune.
    Ohne Expedit geht das Abendland unter!!!

Got a spare of this lesser spotted Vulture classic from the market this morning -

Love it, never heard it before, now how to get it out of my head.
    RPM Funky Vintage Sounds - Ramsgate Music Hall, Kent

My Mixcloud

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Nice selection of 45s there Relkeel! What's that Clansmen one like? Certainly looks the part. I love that Mekons 45 - proper DIY punk builder.
    Here you go mate, believe it originates from Singapore,was only fifty pees from the carboot. Had the Mekons on this morning brilliant intro.

The Clansmen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW3LCly78yg
    Giving Up Food For Funk.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Moogaloo View Post
    It's catchy isn't it, the LP is much easier to turn up.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Thumbs up

Just found a copy in a charity this afternoon !
    "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

www.broadgategnome.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Ya Ya View Post
    Just found a copy in a charity this afternoon !
    Result mate.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Quote Originally Posted by Carlitos View Post
    Is that Balsara and his Singing Sitar?
    Probably the same fella, but on the EP it's more like Balsara and His Scary Stylophone.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogaloo View Post
    You can have my lp when I get the 45 off Craig. Free and gratis likes.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Was in Berlin last weekend to DJ, didn't visit that many shops but got home with a few nice records:

Neoton was from Da Capo on Kastanienallee, right next to where I was staying. Great funky progpopsike on the title track.
    Das Unsichtbare Visier was a tip-off, and later a gift, from one of the guys booking me. Great 1979 drama funk and disco braekz, Tentakel is probably the best track.

Kati Kovacs, nice to have on the 45, Puhdys is a nice funky prog doublesider. Both from Da Capo as well.
    Adriano Celentano funker, from a crazy shop in the western parts (not Platten-Pedro) with records stacked everywhere:

None of the Selected Sounds or the other librarys looked very interesting, listened to one called 'folk with beat' or something like it with Okko Bekker on it but... nah.
    I spent two hours in there and didn't feel like I had even begun to scratch the surface. I found some alright records but when he wanted 5 euro for every 45 it didn't feel worth it, and I didn't have enough cash on me anyway, so only left with the Celentano.

Before that I was at Spacehall and bought some house stuff:

New-ish apart from the reissue of Larry Heard's Disco D. Sex Tags Mania/DJ Sotofett leftfield dubbed out disco weirdness, Young Marco & Co is a couple of years old but amazing, deep yet slamming, Steve Summers is also fantastic, best I've heard from him.

And some 45s from before I went:

Papoose was a tip from a friend, great funky tribal-y prog that would go well with yamasuki's and ani-kuni... Ennio Morricone in a trade with Pencilface, thanks!
    Last copy I saw and bought of Dave Cartwrights stupid folkfunk/popsike mod fave turned up in two pieces due to imbecille packing, finally a new copy. Still need to upgrade conditionwise though! Burano was posted in the great proto-disco thread, great moog freakout funk that turned up in a local shop for a decent price, along with Abaco Dream.

great looking finds there seb - particularly fond of that Das Unsichtbare Visier. Tried to find a copy for a bit a few years back and then it dropped off my searches – until about two minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jahshabby View Post
    great looking finds there seb - particularly fond of that Das Unsichtbare Visier. Tried to find a copy for a bit a few years back and then it dropped off my searches – until about two minutes ago.
    Gotta say it really didn't do much for me .. that "tentacle" tune can be ad on a pretty cheap 45 too.

Those shop pics look amazing - would love a visit there. I love shops that seem like an insurmountable task, loads more fun than '30 mins and you've seen everything' type places.

Quote Originally Posted by pencilface View Post
    Gotta say it really didn't do much for me .. that "tentacle" tune can be ad on a pretty cheap 45 too
    So is it a soundtrack 45 then? I was going to buy the LP in Berlin last year for 25 euro but I was unsure of the all-round quality and without a deck in the shop I left it to remain dormant.