Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: March finds 2013

Thumbs up

Killer library haul there mate, The Chappell Dance and mood series are great!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Wuschel - The German Word for Something Fuzzy

Great library stuff, gives me faith that they're still out there...

Quick pop to the shop found me one of these, which was odd, given the chuff my local chazza usually has:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?rel...=3307902&ev=rb

Lew Tabackin wiith Toshiyuki Miyama & The New Herd - Vintage Tenor

Further clicking on the Toshiyuki Miyama page revealed some fairly expensive albums, and as a strange coincidence some on the Three Blind Mice label.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Toshiy...ll-Star+Guests

So obvious question out to Plainstone as resident Japanese vgplusser is: are these albums difficult to find in Tokyo?
    http://tfl.gov.uk/bus/stop/490009784...reet?lineId=35

When you hear music, after itís over, itís gone, in the air, you can never capture it again.

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Short answer is ... some are, some aren't. Also worth noting that those listed on the discogs page range from fairly staid big band workouts to full on free freakouts, so worth doing some research first if you want to dip a toe in the waters.

The Live New Herd 76/45 one is corking. Great version of Ironside theme and a side and a half of Love Supreme. The first two on the list are more experimental. The Shuko Mizuno is trumpet heavy but good ... several pressings exist, some cheap.

Let me know if you're interested in any specific titles.
    http://www.oneboxrecordfair.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo

You got exhalation, you got inhalation ... you screw it up you got mutilation. Know what I mean?

(=^ェ^=)

Quote Originally Posted by Plainstone View Post
    Let me know if you're interested in any specific titles.
    Thanks Plainstone, I was more curious to know who who he is, having no knowledge whatsoever of Japanese jazzers. Sounds interesting whatever, cheers!
    http://tfl.gov.uk/bus/stop/490009784...reet?lineId=35

When you hear music, after itís over, itís gone, in the air, you can never capture it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SubwayJoe View Post

Parry Music Library – Disco Pop (Parry LP)
    Killer library haul - love to see this sort of thing still happens! That Parry is probably the best volume on the label - mainly as it's neither Disco or Pop contained within.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the contents of some of the others as I only have a few of the others and I'm always after good library pointers.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Quote Originally Posted by medlar View Post
    Thanks Plainstone, I was more curious to know who who he is, having no knowledge whatsoever of Japanese jazzers. Sounds interesting whatever, cheers!
    Brief bio here.
    http://www.oneboxrecordfair.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo

You got exhalation, you got inhalation ... you screw it up you got mutilation. Know what I mean?

(=^ェ^=)

Subway joe what a Great library haul, shows that diggin still pays off.

Phew... got up at 2.30 this morning/middleofthenight to help out a local dealer at a fair up north. We had 46 crates of records to load/unload and then load/unload again. Now I'm tired and many parts of my body hurt. Nevertheless - I managed to find a couple of records and I really can't think of a better way I could have spent Easter.

Purchases ranged from £2 to £75:

Johnny Harris
    Well known. My first copy was a scratchy bootsale find for £1 and the reason I found the VV site as I tried to learn more about the astounding (but crackly) record I just bought. Since then I've been happy with a reissue but I've always hoped to encounter an affordable OG in good quality. I hop I have now - vinyl looks quite clean and nice.

Johnn Hallyday
    The only one I've had time to listen to. What can I say? Recorded live with decent sound quality that would be totally acceptable had they not chosen to further deteroriate the sound by adding over-the-top fake audience noise that sound more like a crowd at a football game than a pop concert crowd. And that is a shame because for the most part this record delivers some banging groovy rock songs with plenty of horns and organ. Still gonna keep it though.

Cannonball Adderly
    Fiddler on the Roof - not so exciting. But it is Cannonball and it is produced by David Axelrod so there could be something here...

Sarolta Zalatnay
    This was the cheapest purchase. 1978 Amiga release so the late date didn't give me high hopes it would be fantastic - looking at discogs I now see that it was originally released in 1975 on Supraphon so the hopes went up (a little).

McCoy Tyner
    I don't like piano jazz very much. But I love McCoy Tyner - he must be the exception to the rule. Always pick up any record of his I don't already have - a good thing is many of them are quite cheap and still great.

Bšttre Lyss...
    Swedish prog that supposedly is more on the rock than the progressive side, but I've been curious about it for some time and even though it doesn't cost a fortune it rarely turns up. The only time I've seen it befor it was priced at almost twice the reasonable going rate. This time it was only half so a very good opportunity to check it out.

John Handy
    Recorded in 1968. A Handy record I didn't even know existed.

Ian Carrs Nucleus
    Just poking this group a little bit with stick so far. Feeling them out, a little bit at a time. So far the only one I own is Alley Cat which is decent. Hoping this will be better.

San Ul Lim
    Korean psych/pop/rock of some sort. Supposedly their best album. We'll see what I think about that. I have a reisseue of their first and quite like that.

Alex
    This is quite interesting because it doesn't look very exciting at all, and when you turn it around it looks even less exciting. Until you discover it was produced by Holger Czukay and recorded at Inner Space studios, and then see the Turkish influence in some of the song titles. And actually Alex played in Turkish rock/prog 70s band Kardaslar. Been needledropping quickly and it does have a very Turkish psych/prog vibe paired with a heavy Can influence. This is gonna be fun to listen to in its entirety.

Serge Gainsbourg
    This was the most expensive record I bought. It was worth it - unless it has hidden flaws in which case I will be very upset.

This Heat
    This was my "payment" (+food+beer after fair) for helping out. Kraut-industrial-postpunk that is really cool.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Thumbs up

^ Killer finds there mate....That San Ul Lim is good especially the side long track, their 2nd LP is my fave, well worth tracking down.

"Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

This month's haul of albums:

Barry Humphries - At Carnegie Hall:

Adge Cutler and the Wurzels - Carry On Cutler!:

Black Abbots - Live!:

Jasper Carrott - In the Club:

Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Part One:

James Last - Last of Old England:

Derek and Clive - Ad Nauseam:

Various - A Poke in the Eye (with a sharp stick):

Nice hau,l Brainbomb. If you like Nucleus you will probably like all of their albums. Alley cat is their least exciting to me. Ian Carr's early solo stuff is nioce too.

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    That San Ul Lim is good especially the side long track
    Damn, the San Ul Lim is great - plenty of hard fuzz in a weird Asian pop meets 70s metal and popsike kinda of style.

I can also update a little bit of the others:

Cannonball Adderly
    Is not so exciting but pretty nice. Didn't finish listening, just put in maybe-pile for now...

Sarolta Zalatnay
    Felt a bit unsure about after listening to the first 3 tracks and switched to needledropping. Appears to have its moments, funky and nice - but several less interesting bits as well. Also went to maybe-pile...

Bšttre Lyss...
    AS expected more on the rock side than fullblown prog or psych even if several tracks have a slight leaning towards prog/psych. A bit like a hard prog/psych light album. I like some songs, others not so much. It's in the periphery of my musical taste spectrum and I think someone more into hard prog/psych would really enjoy it. But it shall stay for a while at least - one listen isn't enough to make a decision. And it's always nice to pick up some stuff outside your normal territory and give them a proper shot - I started liking a lot of music like that: picking up something jazzy eventually leading to a love of spiritual jazz that I would probably have hated as a teenager...

Ian Carrs Nucleus
    Quite enjoy this - I like the somewhat dark feeling. Bits of guitar soloing I don't fancy but on the whole a very enjoyable listen. I think I'm gonna pick up more Nucleuses in the future - if I spot them for a decent price. It doesn't totally convince me after just a first listen but is definately intriguing.

Alex
    Is a great album. Sounds like Can playing Turkish psych-groove. Should be interesting to a lot of people here:

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the contents of some of the others as I only have a few of the others and I'm always after good library pointers.
    It took me some time, but I uploaded a mix with only sounds from these records.
    you'll find it here...

– Chappells:
    Pierre Dutour et son Orchestre – Dance and Mood Music Vol. 21
    The whole A side is banger library funk. Great stuff!
    Also vol. 19 has some great tracks on it.

the others are more slow, light and sweet

– Colours in Rhythm:

Vol. 4 is the best of the one I've got (The Ted Nord Sound, The Pete Hughes Quintet, Apollo Sounds LP)
    a bunch of nice songs. some nice organ on it. also with a brazil, latin touch.
    haha, i made a little list of the songs I liked:
    A1 Bandolero (great brazil organ stuff)
    A3 Pampero (organ guitar, almost bond secret sound)
    A5 Sugar and Spice (Organ from very slow to bongo fuzz guitar part),
    A6 Solitario (Summer Samba easiness with organ sax, guitar, flute)
    A7 Flambeau (groovy bass, organ, fuzz, drum)
    B2 Skid-Pan (fast organ)
    B4 Bad Man (deep bass, wahwah)
    B6 Aquila (slow...)

Vol.5 has also some nice tracks on it. About three.
    Vol. 8 is very discoish

– Melody & Rhythm:
    Some nice tracks on vol. 7 (Dick Hunter Five) and 14 (Polish Radio Orchestra)
    hmm, need to listen to vol. 8 again...

Mario Molinos:

no.3 is very good...
    Hawaiana 4 is some light hawaian...

Peers:
    Barry Forgie has some top library on it...
    Frank Sterling is mostly very Big Bandish... have tt listen to it again
    Barrie Moore has some more easyness on it. folkish almost. very nice.

hmm, have to still listen to the others. can't really remember