Thread: CL match tonight

Default CL match tonight

I just watched Man United play against Real Madrid.

Not that it really mattered to me which team won, but the read card killed the game in my opinion.

I know. Seeing a team lose at Old Trafford because of a poor refereeing decision really breaks your heart, doesn't it?

Oh no. Hold on.
    Wait a minute.

Ha! ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
    To infinity - and beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by jakartajive View Post
    I know. Seeing a team lose at Old Trafford because of a poor refereeing decision really breaks your heart, doesn't it?

Oh no. Hold on.
    Wait a minute.

Ha! ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
    What he said.

Watched the game in a bar in Helsingborg. I too wasn't fussed which team won, but do agree it was a shite decision...

Watching Sir Red Nose prance about after the decision was kinda funny... Irate grandad..!

And it got even funnier when The Special one said "the best team lost"... WTF..?
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sie Vulture View Post
    And it got even funnier when The Special one said "the best team lost"... WTF..?
    Will your next job be in England?

A: Probably yes.

Chelsea?

A: silence [winces]

Well as long as Arsenal score three or more goals in Munich, English football can avoid a long night of soul searching, eh?

Geht's los Schalke!
    Ohne Expedit geht das Abendland unter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jakartajive View Post

Oh no. Hold on.
    Wait a minute.

Ha! ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
    Ha ha ha

Top work from the ref - waited patiently until Nani had finished feigning injury, and then boooom!

Absolutely gutted with last night's result, never a Red card, most of the opinion here backs it up:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21679253

How long is it going to be until we have something in place that cannot ruin an exciting game for players, fans and neutrals alike? This isn't just for United's benefit, almost every single club you care to name can recall some sort of decision that has completely ballsed a game for them and the decision has been made in error. How many other sports do we have left where decisions cannot be overturned on the playing surface? Tennis, Cricket, Rugby are three sports I can think of that now have independent assessment and appeals procedures. Why can football not have this. If we did we would have different results from that clear series of injustices against Chelsea v Barcelona at Stamford bridge a few seasons ago...

<breaths>

I agree with most of what you say - in cricket, for instance, the appeal process works pretty seamlessly, but then it is generally a slower paced (and relatively open ended) game. In football, I would like to see a way that contentious goals, penalties, balls crossing the line, etc. could be dealt with using technology without killing the game. BUT - in this specific case, Nani committed a foul, absolutely no question, and the only ambiguity is whether he deserved a straight red (not, imo, but so what?), and I don't see how a machine could solve that one or, if you have a panel in the stands with a TV telling a ref what to do in a situation where he is called upon to use his discretion, then what's the point of the ref or, indeed, his discretion?

On a related note, elder statesman Rio Ferdinand's intimidation of the ref was a disgrace made even worse by his craven attempt to cover himself by forcing the ref to shake his hand.
    THE BRITISH ESPERANTIST
    The Pseudoscientific World Of TOMTIT

Some days are quite boring, today is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
    On a related note, elder statesman Rio Ferdinand's intimidation of the ref was a disgrace made even worse by his craven attempt to cover himself by forcing the ref to shake his hand.
    Man U bullying a ref?
    Say it ain't so, Joe.

"I agree with most of what you say - in cricket, for instance, the appeal process works pretty seamlessly, but then it is generally a slower paced (and relatively open ended) game. In football, I would like to see a way that contentious goals, penalties, balls crossing the line, etc. could be dealt with using technology without killing the game. BUT - in this specific case, Nani committed a foul, absolutely no question, and the only ambiguity is whether he deserved a straight red (not, imo, but so what?), and I don't see how a machine could solve that one or, if you have a panel in the stands with a TV telling a ref what to do in a situation where he is called upon to use his discretion, then what's the point of the ref or, indeed, his discretion?"
    Yeah, if you've got pundits who've seen fifty replays from different angles arguing about it still then it's obvious that a quick replay and decision isn't going to satisfy everyone. There must be a way to clear up offsides and goal-line ones though and that would be a good start.
    For what it's worth I think that Nani's should never have been a red but when you see it at full speed you can totally see why the referee gave it.

I'm with hugh, it was proper funny.
    I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Quote Originally Posted by soul doubt View Post
    Absolutely gutted with last night's result, never a Red card, most of the opinion here backs it up:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21679253

How long is it going to be until we have something in place that cannot ruin an exciting game for players, fans and neutrals alike? This isn't just for United's benefit, almost every single club you care to name can recall some sort of decision that has completely ballsed a game for them and the decision has been made in error.

How about the game versus liverpool at old trafford earlier in the season where you didn't get a kick until Shelvey was sent off? It's football. I wish people would stop trying to mess with it. It works great as it is.

I don't recall Fergie being too 'distraught' when a red was shown to Eboue for this challenge at Old Trafford.

He must've developed a taste for kung-fu in the interim.
    To infinity - and beyond!

Aye... strange that isn't it...? I care for neither team affiliation wise but because of his goings on and including labelling us a ''wee club'' I wanted Madrid to win...

Impartiality wise - Arbeloa made a meal of it - and there was no specific forward kick or 'intent' action from Nani other than to trap the ball... fair enough the ref sees it in a flash and it can look bad depending on angle/reactions... but ultimately ridiculous... (maybe google Joey Barton v Etuhu to see this same challenge WITH intent deserving red...)

Still, not as ridiculous as Keane turning all holier than thou in the post match chatter... didn't he say when he was a player he would have a reflection period on whether the ref was right to send him off? I only ever remember him going ape in the ref's face and/or trying to lash out as he was never in the wrong...

Despite the death of British football, I still prefer the forthright, direct style of Fergie's touchline tantrums to the more cultured approach of continental managers. Mourinho's strops are too studied, and Wenger gesticulates comically like one of Napoleon's generals as Waterloo starts to go pear-shaped.

Fergie just goes all red, steam comes out of his ears and he starts running and jumping about like a furious five year old. It's brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by enrico chiesa View Post
    Still, not as ridiculous as Keane turning all holier than thou in the post match chatter... didn't he say when he was a player he would have a reflection period on whether the ref was right to send him off? I only ever remember him going ape in the ref's face and/or trying to lash out as he was never in the wrong...
    Keane is a total twat alright, but he's the only thing that makes ITV's woeful footy coverage worthwhile. His simmering anger has been kept in check so far but you can tell he's an inch away from giving Adrian Chiles a proper pasting!! The England match that was called off a couple of months ago cos of the torrential rain was hilarious as the dismal attempts of the dullard Chiles to create conversation fell on stony ground with our Roy who seemed bewildered as to how he'd ended up in a studio with the human Toby Jug, Gareth Southgate - a nice but very dull man with no opinions of his own and the affable Lee Dixon, who only ended up at ITV because the BBC are too fond of Alan Shearer. One day it's gonna kick off big-style!!
    "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

I'd go along with this. Andy Townsend's commentary was histerical. I kept wondering when he was going to apologise for calling the Madrid keeper poor within the first 10 minutes. At least Keane won stuff. Andy Townsend had a splendidly average career and I struggle to recall him playing in a match with the intensity, profile and skill levels of Tuesday's game. There is a simmering tension with Keane's analysis and I am always expecting him to lean over and smash Southgate at any given point.

Southgate looks like a grouper.

I'd like to defend Arbeloa also, I don't think he made any more a meal of it than any United player would under the same circumstances. Also he's ex Liverpool and I thought he made a magnificent contribution to United getting knocked out.

I am not impartial, were united to play Robert Mugabe's select 11 I'd be supporting the Zimbabweans.

I reckon Spain got the best of the footballers-turned-pundits when Michael Robinson went over to Osasuna with Sammy Lee. Robinson's great and hugely popular - I listen to him all the time. Steve McManaman isn't too bad, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Jim View Post
    Keane is a total twat alright, but he's the only thing that makes ITV's woeful footy coverage worthwhile. His simmering anger has been kept in check so far but you can tell he's an inch away from giving Adrian Chiles a proper pasting!! The England match that was called off a couple of months ago cos of the torrential rain was hilarious as the dismal attempts of the dullard Chiles to create conversation fell on stony ground with our Roy who seemed bewildered as to how he'd ended up in a studio with the human Toby Jug, Gareth Southgate - a nice but very dull man with no opinions of his own and the affable Lee Dixon, who only ended up at ITV because the BBC are too fond of Alan Shearer. One day it's gonna kick off big-style!!

Did he not snap at Chiles a few month back...? I'm sure Chiles was sarcastically commenting on a nasty tackle and turned to Keane and said ''...haha, you'd have been proud of that one eh Roy?''... Keane instantly barked back ''...I did play the game - and I could play a bit too you know?!?!'' or something along those lines...

Fairly sure there's a great clip of Shearer (?) interrupting Lee Dixon mid-flow during an analysis and Dixon either rolls his eyes or mouths ''Come on?!'' as he's so exasperated at Shearer butting in throughout the show... might be on Youtube... it's fab...

I'm not that sure where I stand on the theory that the likes of the Guardian podcast footy experts or blog writers make better pundits/analysers than the ex-Pro's we currently have... People like James Richardson (not huge on technical knowledge but witty/engaging) and Sid Lowe (again, serious when he needs to be, insightful and good for a laugh) would be great I think... but I can't stand certain others including Marcotti and I realise whilst Pat Nevin breaks a game down well he's as boring as watching paint dry (great obscure indie DJ though!!)...

Shearer/Hansen/Lawro is a tired format - and I'm glad the likes of Andy Gray/Keys/Colin Murray are off the telly as they were annoying...

Boot Shearer off the BBC into ITV's coverage with Keane and watch the sparks fly

Southgate reminds me of that bloke in the fastshow sketch down the pub, Dave I think his name was.