Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Current J-Pop Girls Chart

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    Well it's rocking my boat. Deese tings are so expensive though. Some enterprising UK distributor needs to get on the case.
    You can always join the Xmas swap & get my sweet mix CD

but yesasia is good and usually does free shipping & some awesome japanese plastic junk thrown in, and amazon.jp is good for bargains, you can't sign in with your regular amazon account but you can set up a new one with an international address.

I'm on Amazon jp it's just that the pound rate is not what it was. A lot of sellers won't post to the UK; at least I often put things in my basket only to find at the checkout that the seller doesn't post to my address. I still prefer the UK option.
    I could join the swap but I think time constraints make it difficult for me at the moment. Just now I barely have time to listen to my own records let alone anyone else's. It's a bit of a dilemma: do you buy stuff hoping you will get time to listen to it or do you think " I won't bother I simply don't have the time" ? At the moment I favour the first course of action but constraints of space will come into play soon- and money, of course. Whatever, I'm loving the stuff you're posting. I checked out the vinyl of Date Course on Amazon jp and I think it was around 22 + whatever the post is.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

You're not wrong about the prices, that Lyrical School LP just cost me an eye watering 42 with the postage, I almost requested giftwrapping to temper the buyers remorse, fingers crossed I don't get caught out on import tax too. I reasoned that I just won't see it & these vinyl issues always disappear fast and are near impossible to get second hand (like the Momoiro Clover Z debut & Kyary picture disc).

I'd kill for a decent UK option. I was talking to my friend last night who collects Kamen Rider toys he says Hong Kong is the best place to get stuff sent from so I'll check that out for the future.

There's plenty of people who just keep buying & buying records, if you've got the room to keep them then it's not a massive issue some do it just for the collecting element & others are saving up a library to dig through when they retire. If I start getting stacks of unlistened records I decide to do something else with my record budget for a few months, hi fi equipment upgrade, digging excursion abroad, while I pay attention to the records that I thought I couldn't live without.

The swap is a little overwhelming though just by sheer volume of stuff you get but totally worth it.

Fuckers got me with import tax

I got Oct 16 circled on my calendar - b-side sounds cool: "They mixed rock and electro dance taste into their own style.''

have they done any vinyl releases? I've had a bit to do with Kenji Sakajiri from Wonderful Noise - he has several NZ artists on his label I know (story here: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/music/news...ectid=10774346) who tour up there, so I could try hitting them up to bring some back for me. if I ask real nice anyway.

Yes that b-side looks a bit more intriguing, they were tweeting pics while filming the new video (and eating Haribo) the other day, so here's to wednesday.

Also a pic of them performing in front of that amazing giant Gundam statue, my head would have exploded if I'd seen that in real life...

My Lyrical School LP arrived, I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. It's a lovely thing though, incredibly high quality print tip on sleeve in one of those mylar sleeves with a sticky flap, so at the very least my object fetish is happy..

As far as Vanilla Beans go I've not heard of any vinyl issues of their stuff. Although VB's label is a subsidiary of LS's T-Pallete label so if they are doing this as an experiment, if it does well then maybe in the future...

If you're happy to get down with CD singles I'd definitely get your friends to pick stuff up if they're going (with spacious flight cases for any giant monster/robot stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Fuckers got me with import tax
    Bastards. We'd pay the VAT gladly but it's the "handling charge" which is the killer.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Vanilla Beans - "Please Me Darling"

Glockenspiel action, nice song, more "Shibuya-kei" than I was expecting from the description. More interested to hear the B-side now.

Nice interview in English with Negicco on the MTV81 site.

Includes possibly the best opening line to an interview ever.

"People won’t take you seriously when you’re dancing with vegetables."

Momoiro Clover Z's new single is out soon, they just made the instrumental a free download on their site for 24 hours (low quality MP3 though)

It's sounding great, they've gone all South Asian mystic on us, the instrumental sounds like some unholy mix of Godiego & World Of Twist covering that Don Sebesky track with added slap bass.

I'll post the video when it's released.

New Kyary!

Obviously a cheese before bedtime woman, dancing with the moon, menaced by stripper ghosts, slightly discordant cute pop, turns in to some sort of curly haired monster doing a big poop made of strawberrys. What's not to love about this

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Mottai-Nightland

Speaking of Kyary one of her regular producers has an album out and it's pretty sweet & available on UK iTunes for cheapness.

Capsule - Control

Momoclo's new MV, green screen extravaganza laying the buddhist imagery on with a trowel. Musically really interesting as previously mentioned, love this lot.

Momoiro Clover Z - Gounn

cheers for all those - what's going on with Kyary's eyes?

any sign of that Vanilla Beans b-side?

People have commented about Kyary's eyes to me before but I can't really see it, I don't know it might be just odd make up, something to do with her creepy/cute kawaii aesthetic. No youtubes have turned up of the VB bside yet, I'm waiting on my next CD order to come through, will report back

And cos it's Halloween

I notice the song structures of all these are perfectly engineered for the new-improved short attention spans of the Younger generations now raised on computer games i.e they chop and change every five seconds or so (and the constantly changing imagery in the videos mirrors them).

I thought that latest Momoiro Clover Z one was heading into slower waters with the intro to it being all of about 20 seconds but sure enough it soon shifts into the same restless, ever-changing melody routine of the others. To my ears these songs are eerily reminiscent of early two and a half minute Rock n' Roll records and the very best pop of the 60s, 70 s and early 80s.

Just mulling out loud....probably best left in my head really.

You're right about the fast stylistic changes.

It always strikes me as odd that the songs are so long, which can be off putting for people not used to the style. it's possibly (at least in the case of Idol stuff) to do with the fact that it's about putting on shows & if all their songs were 3mins rather than 5-6mins they'd have to perform 40 odd songs in a show, and remember all the dance routines, or it might be something else.

I may try and do some 3 minute "Jukebox Edits" if I can remember how to do that kind of thing.

BiS Update

Well I wasn't expecting this!

BiS have recruited a new member to replace Rio Michibayashi.. They've chosen 74 year old fashion designer Junko Koshino

I don't know what's going on but it looks like BiS could get legit interesting, there's a music video on the special site they've set up but you can only see it if you answer some question, which I can't do in Japanese..

They all look great, let's see if they can make something interesting out of this.

The MTV81 site has a nice series of video interviews with 5 Kawaii 'pioneers' called i-Kawaii, if you want some more background to this thing.

no embedding so you have to watch on their site

Kyary has also done a toothpaste advert...

I like how it states "illustrative purposes only". You mean that's not really going to happen??

Along with Lyrical School another rap ripple from the Halcali shaped rock dropped in the J-Pop pond is the pleasingly named...

Rhymeberry

This lot seem to be aiming for a Beastie Boys style set up with three MC's and one (surely intentionally) dorky looking DJ knocking out hyperactive sample based hip hop about I don't know what.

They had a single out recently called "Sekaijuu ni I Love You" that was notable for the first 45 seconds of the pop video being in complete silence then exploding into a ragtime rap squeak-a-thon which, even with the resistance I've managed to build up was a bit painful, nevertheless there was a few interesting elements to their shtick (ultra slo-mo stoney faced riding of mechanical fairground animals) so they made it on the list of stuff to keep an eye on.

Their new single "SuperMCZTokyo" is pretty great though, they hoover up & regurgitate hip hop cliches in such a joyous and totally corny way that I can't help but get on board with, Kool & The Gang style horn sample & super exuberant performances make this a solid winner.

Things I love about this video

Getting hype in a VW van with a driver who looks like he doesn't want to be there.
    DJ Hikaru's acknowledgement of the camera with a Morcambe-esque tip of the spectacles at 0:25
    Diggin' in the crates, does anyone recognise those records, Japanese chazza guff?
    They've got no microphones... but halfway through one of them pretends to hold a microphone for a whole verse.

This is the serious business of rap (pop, same thing) eating itself, this is what Biggie & Tupac died for...

Last edited by Striker; 03-12-2013 at 09:09 PM.

New Mishmash * Julie Watai single's video has just hit youtube.

It's great, the new album is firmly on the must buy list now, ace video too.

"Right, I run away and play around"

Actually 2 tracks released on the same day..

This one's title translates as "Heart blurring squid Lloyd"

Last edited by Striker; 01-12-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Back in the interminably baffling world of Band Ja Naimon

Watching the video for their new single "Kiss in the Night as Snow is Falling" I noticed amid the general confusion and low, low production value there was only one drum kit, It seems as if founder member Kacchan ("long, long, longest hair") is out, this is disappointing as she had a great voice and the chemistry between her and Misako was one of the great things about the band.

The new members aren't really bringing much to the table either, there's some interesting elements to the song but it's seriously all over the place and it doesn't really work. They (or their management) should have paid Kenichi Maeyamada whatever he wanted to let them stay under his wing, I'm working on a more detailed post about him as a J-pop polymath, but it might take a little time.

Interestingly though remaining OG member Misako instagrammed a picture of herself with Sebadoh drummer Bob D'Amico, don't ask me... I don't know what's going on.. Coincidentally I discovered that she is also the drummer for avant-indie-shoegaze-noise-pop-weirdo outfit Shinsei Kamattechan who seem to be well worth investigating & can be heard below cos I don't want to inflict the BJN video on you.

Shinsei Kamattechan - Egg White

I'll pick up a few of their albums & report back..

I'm still going to monitor Band Ja Naimon's activities as they still have goodwill in the bank for making that first mini album, but it's not looking good.

One of the things that popped up in an end of year review that I had totally missed

BiS the attention seeking Idol outfit that I've been on the fence about have a side project called BiS Kaidan that sees them teaming up with Japan's version of Throbbing Gristle, noise experimental improv performance-art nutcases Hijokaidan, complete with destructive chaotic live performances

Started from an experiment by Hijokaidan's Jojo Hiroshige wanting to work with an Idol unit (originally wanting to work with Momoiro Clover Z but took twitter advice to go with BiS as a better fit) It seems to have crept from a one off noise performance of BiS tracks to a mini LP of original material, to BiS members First Summer Uika and Nozomi Hirano performing live as members of Hijokaidan on drums & "electronics".

The BiS Kaidan album came out on vinyl too, mixed with 40% more noise than the CD version, I like this stuff a lot more than the usual BiS offerings, Let's see how easy this LP is to track down.

So if you like unrelenting noise & distorted screamy J-pop hooks then here's

BiS Kaidan - "Suki Suki Daisuki"

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    So if you like unrelenting noise & distorted screamy J-pop hooks then here's...
    That is mental. I can offer little more than that because I'm struggling to process it (and not for the first time this thread), but thanks for posting it!
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hero View Post
    That is mental. I can offer little more than that because I'm struggling to process it (and not for the first time this thread), but thanks for posting it!
    Just imagine it with 40% more noise... 40%! (I can't find the LP for sale anywhere but I might have found a download)

This looked rather lovely...... maybe not quite J-Pop but I couldn't resist the coloured vinyl......... Cuushe - Butterfly Case. Do you know the artist?

http://dilatedtime.bandcamp.com/album/butterfly-case-lp

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hero View Post
    Yeah, me also. Cognitive dissonance is a glorious thing. Also, I need to know what they do with the pig's head.

I really need to write a review of your CD Striker, but I want to listen again first.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Thanks pitch, I didn't know Cuushe, she looks pretty cool & that dreampop sound is ultra hip right now, that LP is a lovely thing though I might have a look at that myself.

It reminds me of another singer that I've temporarily forgotten about who has a similar sound but a little grittier, I'll rack my brain & try & find it on youtube when I get a minute.

I heard the pigs head gets thrown into the audience at live performances, I'm not sure if it's connected but their latest one's called...

BiS Kaidan - "STUPiG"

This seems to be an actual BiS release rather than part of the Bis Kaidan project but the stylistic influence is right there, the sound is a little more ATR/Digital Hardcore than noise but it's the same ballpark. The video is like a neon coloured version of the Tetsuo Bodyhammer films.

I'll try and make my next post a Vanilla Beans one to make up for double BiS..

It'll be soothing like a nice cup of tea.

Had a professional interest in J-Pop and K-Pop for the last couple of years.

Don't listen to it for fun, but do appreciate the deep shine of the polish.

Girls Generation - 'Twinkle'

[MV] Perfume - '1mm'

Shinee - 'Lucifer'

Anyone know about a group called Globe, who are now recording again after a bit of a haitus and apparently doing okay according to my insider mole .... Do they count as J-Pop or is that a distinct category from ShiteTechnoPop?