Thread: The Residents - crash course

Default The Residents - crash course

I'm seeing The Residents on Saturday night and I know virtually nothing of their music. I have a couple of albums a friend copied for me on CD somewhere but I gave 'em a cursory listen, found 'em "too wacky" and put 'em away. What am I missing? What are their best tuness? Any help appreciated!
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Every year or so, I enjoy being puzzled by Third Reich N Roll:

N-R-G Crisis Blues is their catchy one (esp. half way through) - from their first album, which I've no longer got. Found it a bit annoying.

I'd love to see them live though - but am under the impression that you'd be seeing a conceptual performance of whatever show they're touring at the mo? Would like to know what it's like though.
    Spirit Duplicatorócollectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

The 'Commercial Album' is interesting - 40 tracks - all 1 minute long. 'Diskomo' is their funky moment - I think it was played on the Balearic scene at one time. I would also second '3rd Reich and Roll'. Also seek out 'Nibbles' for a sort of career overview from around 1980.

I 'saw' them live once - they played behind a big sheet whilst geezers dressed up as moles (primarily) danced about in front of the sheet. The band did come from behind the sheet at the end but they were wearing the giant eyeballs...a strange night.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Default !

I really enjoy their nightmarish, dissonant dismemberment of 'Satisfaction' - an evil tune.

I saw the show on Tuesday night... It done well enogh for you to know none of the back catalogue.

It was nothing like the last time I saw them in 2003 - now stripped back to laptop set, guitar and the Randy on vocals...

Agree with both Third R'n'Roll and Commercial Album - Like this Mole one - not to be confused with the Mole show

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Thanks all. I'm enjoying Third Reich n' Roll at the moment. Not as annoying as I remembered them.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

For me, it's all about Duck Stab.

Eskimo sometimes makes the grade if I fancy listening to something particularly silly and alienating, but I do prefer the Diskomo disco version:

I'm loving these Duck Stab tracks. Even the annoying vocals seem to be right at home in 'em....

I like the Duck Stab stuff. Their most commercial moment (that I'm aware of) is their take on Kawliga - reminds me a bit of something else though

I think the post-modern in-joke thing is Hank Williams was married to someone called Billie Jean.

If I was going to see Residents I wouldn't bother listening to get familiar with them beforehand as I'd view it more as a piece of performance art than a musical concert. That being said - here's one of my fave songs:

From Fingerprince.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Aforementioned Mark Of The Mole is a big favourite. God In Three Persons is the one I return to more often though, I doubt they will play anything off it though.

I haven't listened to them for ages. I can't think of any other music that is so unclassifiable / a thing unto itself
    Duck Stab is an excellent portal into their unique world and Not Available used to haunt me with this 'earworm'

Remember - IGNORANCE OF YOUR CULTURE IS NOT CONSISERED COOL
    Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

always enjoyed there po-faced bizarrist aesthetic - well I imagine they're po-faced behind the eyeballs. I think there was a bit of a fuss a few years back when a live pic suggested one of them was a woman. and there's the album where their liner notes has a line for 'special guest star' followed by a blank space - always makes me laugh. I heard their only official comment was an epxression of regret after the death of snakefinger, is that still true?

anyway, I've got a soft spot for act of being polite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18GBiJhI4Jw

and enjoyed inflicting Eskimo on the record club fullas. went down suprisingly well.

they played here a while back and some bastard nicked one of the eyeballs - it's never shown up again as far as I know. they made do with a skull mask.

For me, it'd be Duck Stab to begin with, followed by 3rd Reich & Satisfaction and then on to the Harry Partch / industrial gamelan vibe of Fingerprince
    Gosh, golly that was a weird one. Have I got time to go and take some more acid?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanP View Post
    they played here a while back and some bastard nicked one of the eyeballs - it's never shown up again as far as I know. they made do with a skull mask.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanP View Post

that wouldn't happen if they shared the bill with Frank Sidebottom or Daft Punk
    I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

Quote Originally Posted by plushpig View Post
    Harry Partch / industrial gamelan vibe o
    This appeals to me rather a lot.

"They played here a while back and some bastard nicked one of the eyeballs."
    Maybe it was Romina Cohn

Fingerprince is indeed brilliant but Eskimo is their masterpiece IMO.

I have the King and Eye, a strange narrative fable about Elvis with some truly menacing sounding Presley covers on. This live clip should give you nightmares:

So - how did you like it? Was the crash course of any use?
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Quote Originally Posted by Brainbomb View Post
    So - how did you like it? Was the crash course of any use?
    It was good but I couldn't get away from the feeling that they'd passed their peak and it would have been better to see them 15 years ago (or even further back). The in-between songs comedy routine was "a bit like being stuck with your creepy uncle", as a friend put it, it was amusing enough but didn't blow me away.I did think they made a great noise though and it helped me "get" their aesthetic a lot more - could really feel how the vocals/mood/music all hung together. The stage show was disappointing at first but pretty cool at the end (snowing!),. It did give me that sense of being a bit reheated (it was all Xmas stuff).

This crash course has just been fun at turning me onto a load of musiic I hadn't heard, though I don't think it's necessary to see them. Interesting band.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by BestDressedChicken View Post
    I don't think it's necessary to see them. Interesting band.
    Wandering off mid set to watch Amadou and Mariam is a great way to experience The Residents.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.