X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benicio Del Toffo
    Ugly Custard
    • Dec 2002

Quick round-up of the various piles of twaddle that I've stumbled upon in my continuing post-dog operation / pre-Glastonbury cutbacks!

The usual seams have been mined, with varying degrees of success (i.e. little). Rob continues to provide some goodies and I've forced myself to go out and do a couple of slogs round clusters of charity shops. And I've also found a new spot in North(ish) Notts - if anyone local (or who is prepared to go for a day out) wants details, PM me, I don't want to bore the non-locals with chapter and verse of somewhere they're not likely to visit!

Here's some easy ones for starters:

Brian Fahey came from Rob's and is a proper treat - 'spy jazz' in excelsis. Chairmen of the Board (featuring a certain Invictus house band) from the very generous and helpful Mr Sayers, I like the darker and moodier cuts on this (especially the instrumental). Ace funky soundtrack for pennies off eBay. And the mighty QOTSA (my favourite band) new album with lovely heavy vinyl (which plays at 45rpm!) and a cool booklet.

The above came from a jaunt round Lincolnshire charity shops. Break-tastic Peggy Lee LP (spare) and the similarly timpani-heavy Geoff Love VV classic (also spare). Funny that Depth Charge had recently featured in someone else's finds, these turned up in Oxfam. I was quite obsessed with J Saul Kane when at University, but let all that kind of vinyl go not long after graduating (I was proper skint for a year!). Quite amusing to hear it all again now, definitely worn a lot better than many other 90s dance trends.

From the same jaunt. Awful latino coke-rock noodling which is straight in the 'out' pile. Spare copy of the comp with 'Tallyman' in case anyone needs that tune (it will be in my next 'Freebies' thingy). Nice piano jazz that reeks of Gauloises and well chuffed to find a copy of 'Off Duty' in a charity shop as it's ages since I last saw one. Really nice stuff - underrated.

Again, Lincolnshire stuff, but these came off Boston Market. Pretty sure I'll keep the two Ad-Rhythm LPs, but the other Stoneham is a spare.

Nipped to a record fair in North(ish) Notts yesterday morning. Was a bit lame really. Got offered Mighty Baby LP.....................for £150. Should I be flattered or concerned that someone thinks I look like the kind of fella who'd drop that kind of money on one record? Also saw a copy of Mike Westbrook's Metropolis..................for £70. I passed. Instead, I stayed cheap and got the Bobby Vee soul / sunshine LP, not bad but the 'Run Like The Devil' track is probably the only one I'll return to repeatedly. The 'Love Is Blue' comp is well-known round these parts and I think the 'recorded in a toilet' cod-Indian vibes and freakbeat shape-throwing are damn good fun.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• Campag Record
      Lonely Jelly
      • Jun 2004

Nice buys Craig. Stay at home next time dude

As you know I'm taking up a new hobby. Records obviously aren't where my luck lies (especially libraries)!
      "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

• Benicio Del Toffo
        Ugly Custard
        • Dec 2002

Whoops! Gremlins curtailed my post there. The two Liquid Liquid 12"s came off eBay by the way.

Part Two then..............

After the record fair, I wandered round the usual charity shops and found a few records in Cancer Research, which has never really stocked vinyl until recently. Got the above for a quid each and am quite pleased about it. The Betjeman is a spare, but the others have all found a spot in the Expedit.

Turns out there's a new spot not five mins from the record fair (see previous post for possible info). I spent about two hours going through thousands of items (with about ten times more to follow apparently). The above Carolyn Hester LPs came from this arduous rummage and should hopefully generate some record tokens next time I hit Grantham Market (next weekend I reckon).

More from the same rummage. Minting up on Bobbie Gentry - one of hers that I don't see that often. All other VV classics are spares though.

And a bunch more spares from the same spot. All nice and cheap. The Bolly is pretty traditional (Burman and Bhosle) with one sample-able tune 'Dance Music'.

I also recently got Season Five of Breaking Bad. Watched it in one sitting. Better than The Wire. Fact.
        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• mr sayers
          Chocolate Rain
          • Jan 2005

Sorry Nige mate!

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
          Nice buys Craig. Stay at home next time dude

As you know I'm taking up a new hobby. Records obviously aren't where my luck lies (especially libraries)!
          Think of the money you saved though!
          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• mr sayers
            Chocolate Rain
            • Jan 2005

Nice finds there Ben mate, has one of them Harry Stoneham's got 'Ode to Billy Joe' on? I think there's three in the series and I've already bought the wrong one once!

Comment

• jakartajive
              The Horseless Headman
              • Sep 2005

I hadn't come across anything that could remotely be classified as FINDS for almost an age until this weekend.
              This has been mainly due to lack of time to get out and about, but also partly down to lack of enthusiasm for trawling the same endless picked over chazzers of north London.
              Anyway, just back from visiting family on the south coast, where we managed to take in not one but two booters and picked up a few interesting bits and bobs.
              Nothing insane, but nice to find a few VG+ classics I didn't have, some unknown cheapies and a few weird surprises.
              Apologies for the crap fuzzy pics!

The big ones:

The little ones:

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• Sonovox
                Electric Banana
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                Nice finds there Ben mate, has one of them Harry Stoneham's got 'Ode to Billy Joe' on? I think there's three in the series and I've already bought the wrong one once!
                It's the other one... Lowrey Organ Fever. Orangey.

Comment

• mr sayers
                  Chocolate Rain
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by petehipwell View Post
                  It's the other one... Lowrey Organ Fever. Orangey.

Thanks man, I'll have to try and remember it's the orangey one, might be easier then trying to remember the name of the organ!

Comment

• LDJB
                    Chocolate Rain
                    • Dec 2001

Lovely stuff Ben! What's on the Peggy Lee LP? I've seen and passed on it dozen of times - school me!
                    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• LDJB
                      Chocolate Rain
                      • Dec 2001

Nice finds too Hugh. I really like that Lulu LP - J Page all over it as I'm sure you know. What's the 45 on Spark like?
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• mr sayers
                        Chocolate Rain
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                        Lovely stuff Ben! What's on the Peggy Lee LP? I've seen and passed on it dozen of times - school me!
                        It's a one tracker Lee mate, 'Easy evil' or something.

Comment

• jakartajive
                          The Horseless Headman
                          • Sep 2005

Chocolate sack is nowt special.
                          Sort of reggae lite with harmonica.
                          To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• Knitwearfan
                            Ugly Custard
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by d7bohs View Post
                            Grail!
                            Bloody hell! Well done sir
                            Things ain't getting no brighter, load ain't getting no lighter.........

http://www.mixcloud.com/Ian_Barker/

Comment

• Sonovox
                              Electric Banana
                              • Jun 2012

Bobby Gentry - The Delta Sweete. Guy ahead of me pulled out "Wheels Of Fire" but left this behind. Crazy fool.
                              The Sweet - Funny How Sweet Co-Co Can Be. Another Sweet(e). Love the Sweet but this first album is a bit too lite.
                              Roy Orbison - Memphis. Looked semi-promising, covers of "Run Baby Run" and "I Fought The Law". But it never really takes off. Should have read the warning signs of "The Three Bells" and "Danny Boy".
                              Francoise Hardy - S/T. Found alongside the Gentry. Striking and unexpected fuzzy guitar, first track on second side. Handwritten translation of the liner notes inside.

Erroll Garner - Up In Erroll's Room. Another good late Garner album, top notch Watermelon Man on here. Also up tempo "Girl From Ipanema" and "There's An Awful Lot Of Coffee In Brazil". Accompanied by "The Brass Bed", brass section led by Don Sebesky.
                              Jerry Allen - Sump'n Else. One of my favourite Studio 2s, spare.
                              Roberto Inglez - Latin American Moods. Ace cover.
                              Henri Mancini - The Pink Panther Strikes Again. The law of diminishing returns strikes again.

Persian and Colombian albums mentioned in the ethnic finds thread.
                              John Kirkpatrick and Ashley Hutchings - The Compleat Dancing Master. Ramble through the history of folk dance with spoken word extracts. This works really well, much more engaging than Morris On.
                              Melophonia - Limelight Disco Symphony. Session names creating a disco tribute to Charlie Chaplin. On green vinyl. The roll call includes names such as Frank Pourcel, Barry Morgan, Alan Parker, Mike Moran, John Fiddy… An odd thing. And not as good as Syd Dale's Chaplin album.

Milt Buckner - Rockin' With Milt. ECU for Milt! Great organ jazz. The Rockin' Hammond below I've had for years, really daft cover...
                              Benny Goodman - All The Cats Join In For A Goodman Party. 40s era tracks with Charlie Christian, Buddy Rich... First track was the soundtrack to a 1946 Disney cartoon, link below…
                              Coati Mundi - The Former 12 Year Old Genius.

Olatunji - Drums Of Passion. Great drum album. Suddenly recognised a track part way through… Kiyakiya is covered as 'Joanna' on Gainsbourg Percussions.
                              Jack Costanzo - Bongo Fever. Never pass up Bongos.
                              Robert Wyatt - The End Of An Ear. Got to listen to this some more. Interesting but possibly too far into the noodle zone.
                              Yusef Lateef - Lost In Sound.

And a few minty singles for 25p a pop from the boot sale this weekend:

Comment

• emperor tomato ketchup
                                Chocolate Rain
                                • May 2003

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post

From the same jaunt. Awful latino coke-rock noodling
                                You say that like it's a bad thing?

To be fair not their best album but it nails a nice latino coke rock vibe.
                                Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                                X