Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: December 2013 Finds

Do you know this guy?

I'd never heard of G T Moore and the Reggae Guitars until today, when I found their album Reggae Blue on the Charisma label from 1975.
    A bizarre mix of white man reggae chops, soulful ballads, blues, and pub band showtime!
    This track really stood out, reminds me of 10cc and Steely Dan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bvJ34T5NX4
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    Rest of today's grips.

Thought the cover was similar, never seen that Total ! cover before , its originally Aurora , fantastic album

Picked up the Tom Harrell in NY. Was very pleased as I'd been after it for a while. Didn't know about the other issue either!

Well that's welcome news Reza, Ilmod not had a chance to listen yet. Think the name was in my memory from a Jazz On 3 session.Copy pictured is on Pinnacle NY.
    Found another cheap but good one today, particularly the tracks 'Coral Eyes' and the trippy 'V 1 Funk'.

Shigeharu Mukai - Hip Cruiser- Better Days - 1979

record licker

In fact Reza I'm listening to Tom Harrell now and I instantly recognise the superb 'While There's Time' probably from your old blog!

NB.Left another copy of Herb Geller behind today, I know it's good but I don't need FIVE copies!
    record licker

Trip to my local spot today scored me all these (amongst others) for less than £2.50 each

12" are Blake Slate - Rasta Reggae and Lesley Braham - Now Generation

Top Row - Rhythim Is Rhythim - Strings Of Life UK 6 Track , Rhythim Is Rhythim - Strings Of Life US OG
    Bottom Row - NRG - The Terminator (classic UK breakbeat)

Quote Originally Posted by medlar View Post
    I'd never heard of G T Moore and the Reggae Guitars until today, when I found their album Reggae Blue on the Charisma label from 1975.
    A bizarre mix of white man reggae chops, soulful ballads, blues, and pub band showtime!
    This track really stood out, reminds me of 10cc and Steely Dan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bvJ34T5NX4
    He had a chart single in the UK about 1974 and was previously a member of Heron (2 x albums on Dawn). Now lives in Belgium and is putting a new band together which includes the sax player from one of the bands I'm in.
    "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Found a new spot for a dig here in Melbourne on Friday. Picked up a few goodies a very reasonable price over the last couple of days. Look like original pressings of Lightning Hopkins and Tangerine Dream.. not sure what to make of Shel Silverstien's "Crouchin'of the outside"

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Ya Ya View Post
    He had a chart single in the UK about 1974 and was previously a member of Heron (2 x albums on Dawn). Now lives in Belgium and is putting a new band together which includes the sax player from one of the bands I'm in.
    Thanks for the info! I'm old enough to have remembered if anyone at school or any of my old mates liked him and I can't recall any mention at all. So here I am 38 years later finally getting to hear about him!
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

A few bits from the booter. A proper mixed bag..!

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Thumbs up From varying sources...

Barney Kessel - Blue Soul (Black Lions records)
    One Ok riffy instrumental.

Tim Buckley - Star sailer (Straight)
    Too Mojo for some on here I guess, bit of a marmite record, got be in the mood to listen to it as it's not an easy record to get on with!

Amon Dull - Phallus dei (Sunset)
    Budget press of their debut...Krautrock classic...

The John Barton Combo at the top hat (Top hat club)
    One of my better UK cabaret pulls, especially from a charity shop. Total lo-fi cover, more like a US vanity press with the band photo just stuck on. They're a local band to me, and they do a great version of 'Vehicle' and 'Mercy, mercy, mercy'. More info here -

http://www.vintagesixtieslive.co.uk/ValAudPearson.html
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Quote Originally Posted by nebkins View Post
    Trip to my local spot today scored me all these (amongst others) for less than £2.50 each

Oooh a Dudley Moore that I don't have. I'd love that coat as well.

That Dudley Moore LP has a great version of "The Look Of Love" for starters...

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post

Barney Kessel - Blue Soul (Black Lions records)
    One Ok riffy instrumental.

Tim Buckley - Star sailer (Straight)
    Too Mojo for some on here I guess, bit of a marmite record, got be in the mood to listen to it as it's not an easy record to get on with!

Amon Dull - Phallus dei (Sunset)
    Budget press of their debut...Krautrock classic...

The John Barton Combo at the top hat (Top hat club)
    One of my better UK cabaret pulls, especially from a charity shop. Total lo-fi cover, more like a US vanity press with the band photo just stuck on. They're a local band to me, and they do a great version of 'Vehicle' and 'Mercy, mercy, mercy'. More info here -

http://www.vintagesixtieslive.co.uk/ValAudPearson.html
    Starsailor ! Yep - difficult to get on with but well worth owning as the day might come when it strikes you that is possibly one of the best records ever made - like you [ I think ] I am still waiting for that day .... not at all an easy album but I guess that was the idea ! nice finds mate
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

On first glance i thought the title of the Jabula was "Chunder Into Our Hearts"!

Thumbs up Thanks man...

Quote Originally Posted by Sie-Fly View Post
    Starsailor ! Yep - difficult to get on with but well worth owning as the day might come when it strikes you that is possibly one of the best records ever made - like you [ I think ] I am still waiting for that day .... not at all an easy album but I guess that was the idea ! nice finds mate
    I'm with you on this one Sie mate, I can see it's appeal it just hasn't revealed itself to me, it took my two attempts to listen to it all, so I'll have to work at it to get into it, which is sometimes is not such a bad thing...If I decide I can't get on with it, Nige will snap it up off me, so no sleep lost there!

Quote Originally Posted by nebkins View Post
    On first glance i thought the title of the Jabula was "Chunder Into Our Hearts"!
    Me too, it was a glorious 5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    After getting a right mithering last time I passed up on a Brit Jazz rarity, I picked this up on the way home.

Just to update, the above has now left the building. Thanks to all those who got in touch and sorry that some folk had to be disappointed.

I had a quick tour of some charities yesterday and came back with the following:

My latest 'thing' is 12" / Club / Extended mixes of 'pop' artists. Couple of bits of Scritti, who must have one of the most bizarre but impressive career arcs ever! I'm very partial to a bit of Bow Wow Wow too. I'm sure there are folk on hear who know all about The Sound Barrier, but they're a new one on me. Very much the kind of thing that would be embraced round here in terms of being quite an arch pastiche of easy listening, but where we'd have the good taste to go with analog, these chaps use every 80s digital technique, which makes it sound a bit too 'bright' for me. I get what they were trying to do and I applaud them for it.

Lovely clean US copy of Nancy from Scope (where I also bought a tombola ticket and won a box of peanut M&Ms, cos I haven't eaten quite enough of those recently.....ahem!). Phaedra is her name. This means I now have a UK copy to lob in my next clear-out. Was just talking about 'Hey Hey, My My' the other day and therefore couldn't resist getting this copy to get some proto-grunge going. And some Satchmo to trade next time I'm down the market.

Serge scratching his Jamaica itch - will be available for trade (or just to be jettisoned!). Funny to get 'Hanged Man'(again, spare) as I'd been on about that the other night too. It wasn't exactly cheap, but the Air Ambulance will benefit and that's what matters. And another copy of 'Voodoo Party' to trade or whatever.

Getting that taste for traipsing round charity shops back, just wish they'd stop storing the vinyl on the floor cos my knees really can't take it!
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

OK - the Copenhagen fair finds from 2 weeks ago. All between an £20.

Brian Bennett - The Illustrated London Noise
    Elusive VV classic, at last. For a fraction of the price I've seen it for previously. So I thought to myself - if only Change of Direction is present in these crates as well...

Brian Bennett - Change of Direction
    And it was! Bit pricier but still cheaper than earlier encounters. Now I can get rid of that 80s reissue with the full CoD and half of the tracks from Illustrated...

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
    Cheap spare. Mellow jazz goodie.

The Electric Prunes - Mass in F Minor
    David Axelrod produced xian psych. Excellent record - this is a bit beat up cheap OG, that may or may not replace my later pressing depending on how it sounds.

Sven Gyldmark - I, A Woman part II
    Erotic soundtrack. Some nice exotica type bits but overall not too exciting.

Les Double Six - S/T
    Scat jazz thing that isn't exactly my bag even though it's held in high regard for some reason...

Perigeo - La Valle Dei Templi
    Italian prog/jazz fusion band whose output is pretty dire. Sometimes it's great, other times it's boring. Mainly depending on how much emphasis they put on the guitar - I'm not too fond of guitar in jazz fusion. This one's pretty good though. Works up a pretty good groove (almost funky) at times.

David McCallum - Music: A Part of Me
    David Axelrod produced groovy instros.

Horace Silver Quintet - That Healin' Feelin' (The United States Of Mind / Phase 1)
    Vocal jazz - almost banal but groovy and good. Reminds me a bit of Mose Allison, especially his Western Man.

Lovecraft - Valley of the Moon
    HP Lovecrafts third record with shortened name. Less psych and more rock. Nothing mindblowing, may grow with repeated listening.

Soft Machine - 5
    To complete my set of 1-7. Excellent proggy jazz-rock thing.

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
    Cheap later pressing (mid 70s?). Slowly growing a fondness of more straight jazz and working myself towards earlier years. This is very nice indeed.

Charles Mingus - Moves
    Not something I would've picked up myself as I'm not a big fan of Mingus but it was (I see now) actually only £3 and the dealer I went with highly recemmended me to buy it. Love the vocal title track and the rest is pretty good straight jazz as well.

Elias Rahbani - Mosaic of the Orient Volume II
    Mid East moog sounds. Some tracks are quite cool, others a bit cheesy. Mixed bag.

Grupa Organowa Krzysztofa Sadowskiego ‎– Na Kosmodromie
    A record with a 20+ minutes suite about cosmos without guitar but with organ, congas, brass and flute has to be worth taking a chance on. It's a great record though - jazz and funk with some avantgarde touches. Very groovy.

Nino Ferrer - Metronomie
    Insane french psyched out prog-funk.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

nice stuff Mattias - love this - Grupa Organowa Krzysztofa Sadowskiego ‎– Na Kosmodromie
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Quote Originally Posted by Sie-Fly View Post
    nice stuff Mattias - love this - Grupa Organowa Krzysztofa Sadowskiego ‎– Na Kosmodromie
    Seconded. A quality slice of Egg Head jazz with ace wordless vocals .
    Rock on Penderyn

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    Oooh a Dudley Moore that I don't have. I'd love that coat as well.
    My copy comes without the coat unfortunately...

guess my signed copy of this may go up if he goes down (not on me I might add)

Great finds on the two Brian Bennetts!

I saw a copy of Illustrated this weekend for around £60, it was minty but still too much!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by llmod1 View Post
    I saw a copy of Illustrated this weekend for around £60, it was minty but still too much!
    No spare then mate!?

Thumbs up

Nice finds Mattias mate....I'm sure you would anyway, but if you ever see volume 1 of that Elias Rahbani pick it up, you'll dig it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by llmod1 View Post
    Great finds on the two Brian Bennetts!

I bought a job lot including 'Change Of Direction', 'Illustrated London Noise' and 'Rock Dreams' for £50 the other week. 'Rock Dreams' replaces a copy of 'Fantasia' I traded away many moons ago but I'm more impressed by 'Change Of Direction' than 'Illustrated London Noise'. Although 'Soul Mission' is great, I think 'Change Of Direction' is a much more solid listen.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

I've not had all that much in the door of late - here's my paltry offerings:

Spare Stairs - good cover of 'Russian Spy & I' on here.
    Cut Chemist from a charity shop - will be flipped / given away.
    Simon Sound - spare of this VV classic - already spoken for. First time I've had one in a charity for a while!
    Baumann / Koek - raerish minimal synth gear - for flipping - PM if interested.
    (Ambrose) Slade - got this from dealer pal - wasn't cheap but well under going rate - it's a damned good listen too - nice choice of covers and a couple of great originals

More synth gear from the same charity as above - Irmin Schmidt & Bruno Spoerri are at the controls - the first track sound very like a good later Can track funnily enough! It's pretty good but I'll be flipping it I think - PM me if interested.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"