Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: December 2013 Finds

Default December 2013 Finds

Well December has got off to a pretty good start!

Got a call from a local record shop saying he had put together a few boxes of jazzy stuff for me.
    Everything was £2.50

He also had a few non jazz bits in too. These weren’t £2.50 but still very reasonable!

Got this funky jazz 45 in trade with a mate who found this in a skip!

Today’s record fair was pretty amazing! Three different dealers had some amazing UK jazz records. The two bits I bought were very reasonable. One dealer, who was selling a box for a mate, had stunning stuff, all of the heavyweights were in there but the prices made my eyes bleed!

Finally a very good friend of mine decided to part with some gems from his collection. Been saving up my Paypal cash from my Discogs sales over the last couple of months to fund these.

Finally a record I’ve known of for over 20 years but never dreamed I’d ever own!

Thumbs up From Tynemouth market this morning...

Amon Duul II - Wolf city (UA)
    Very pleased to get a copy of this Krautrock classic, as I'd left a rough copy on a local dealers stall last year.

Brigitte - Incontro/Ti amo..Ed io di piu (King)
    Italian Gainsbourg exploito, pleased I left the copy I saw last weekend for 3 Euro.

The cover art of Blue Note records, the collection
    Not really my area, but couldn't leave it as it was cheap!
    Last edited by mr sayers; 01-12-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Mr Sayers, been after the Brigitte 45 for a while.

Let me know if you come across another one please!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post

Amon Duul II - Wolf city (UA)
    Very pleased a get a copy of this Krautrock classic, as I'd left a rough copy on a local dealers stall last year.

Brigitte - Incontro/Ti amo..Ed io di piu (King)
    Italian Gainsbourg exploito, pleased I left the copy I saw last weekend for 3 Euro.

The cover art of Blue Note records, the collection
    Not really my area, but couldn't leave it as it was cheap!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by llmod1 View Post

Cheers

Will do Mark mate...The other copy I saw was at Utrecht BTW.

One of my all time faves, That Nigger Music such a top album

Wow! So you got this, Don Rendell/Ian Carr, Karin Krog and Seeds in one day?!? Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blast kid View Post
    Wow! So you got this, Don Rendell/Ian Carr, Karin Krog and Seeds in one day?!? Crazy.
    Don Rendell and Seeds today.

Horselmat and Krog arrived on Friday!

Cheers
    That Brigitte 45 should be easy to get hold of for a couple of Euros.. Cheapie.

B-side is great bit of b-movie-sounding Eurosleaze

Wow - Svenska Löd is an OG? I guess the seller didn't follow the clear instructions at the bottom of the sleeve: "If any f**ker charges more than 20 crowns (<£2) for this (usury) - don't buy it!?"

Myself I went to 2 record fairs this weekend. Details will follow when I've listened to more of the buys.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Crap, Illmod! Ernie Hines, Dave Pike, Can, Shihab and stuff I don't know. Nice!

I got some nice jazzfunk:
    Klaus Weiss: Drum Box
    Trumpet Machine - George Kruntz
    Hampton Hawes: Northern Windows

OK, so the city I live in had the first record fair for many years this weekend - I think it went OK. There was a decent amount of buyers and at least some sellers I talked to sold decently to good. Hopefully it will return. But... if I deduct the CDs, the metal/synth, the local shops bringing mostly their regular stuff - there wasn't a whole lot left to look at for me. Still without a camera, but here's the buys:

Leningrad Jazz-Orchestra - Leningrader Jazz
    Soviet big band - and not too exciting. One or two tracks are decent but overall a bit too straight.

Marianna Wroblewska - Byle Bym Sie Zakochala
    Polish schlager-soul thingie. Went to the maybe-pile - has its moments.

Igor Nazaruk - The Carpathian New Year Kolyada
    Early 80s Soviet jazz/fusion. Also has its moments, and also went to the maybe-pile.

Collegium Musicum - Live
    Have a record of theirs I really like, prog/artrock - but here as a trio with drums, bass and organ it doesn't work so good. There are some bits that are nice but sometimes they are too dangerously close to ELP noodlings for my comfort. Also to the maybe-pile.

Enrico Rava - Pupa o Crisalide
    Here's a good keeper - Italian jazz/fusion with both some funk/fusion bits as well as more avantgarde pieces.

Bobby Bryant - Earth Dance
    Big band jazz with funk/soul/pop feeling. Very good.

Sid Ramin - Stiletto OST
    Great spy/suspense/crime soundtrack.

Kenyon Hopkins - Mister Buddwing
    Loungey and groovy soundtrack.

Steve Davis - Music
    Very glad to find this. Jazz/country/soul/rock-oddity that should be well known here.

Bergendy - S/T
    Eastern Europe seems to have had a certain knack for a type of record that is quite unique and special imo - it's schlager/pop that blends in elements of beat/folk/jazz/prog/psych. I've encountered a lot of such albums, and this one fits that description too. It may be an acquired taste but I've grown to quite like it. This is really good, especially this that blew my mind:

The Copenhagen fair was even more fruitful, I shal return to that...
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Well December has got off to a pretty good start!
    Finally a record I’ve known of for over 20 years but never dreamed I’d ever own!

'pretty good start'? You're a master of understatement Mark! There are rare records and then raers that develop a mythical aura. Really pleased for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainbomb View Post
    The Copenhagen fair was even more fruitful, I shal return to that...
    You should have said you were coming over, I was going but dropped it cause I was tired...

Some damn good records there llmod.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Thumbs up

Just like the £2.50 boxes shop owners give us the call about Nige mate!

I know were there's a UK copy of that Dave Pike LP, bet it's not going to be £2.50!

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    Just like the £2.50 boxes shop owners give us the call about Nige mate!

I know were there's a UK copy of that Dave Pike LP, bet it's not going to be £2.50!
    Haha...word to that bro!
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Could not get into that Klaus Weiss LP. I think its Jazz.

Few bits from London on Saturday

Dave Pike is repress.

12" is a classic Dan Curtin & Ron Allen tune on Centrifuge Records. Loving the Ju-Par.

Quote Originally Posted by Headless mermaid View Post
    Hampton Hawes: Northern Windows

How many copies of this album have you found in the last 6-8 weeks..? One, two or three..???
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sie Vulture View Post
    How many copies of this album have you found in the last 6-8 weeks..? One, two or three..???
    Hehe, apparently the market bought deadstock of this and some other jazzfunk from a closed radio station. I've seen about 5 sealed copies but "only" bought 2 :-)

A quick visit to Bristol and the most excellent Wanted Records, netted me a copy of the Jazz Explosion Brit jazz compilation

What a great shop John has there.. It was a shame I had to leave for a meeting as I could have mooched through the racks for ages
    the monkey speaks his mind

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by admcc77 View Post
    It was a shame I had to leave for a meeting as I could have mooched through the racks for ages
    Think of the money that meeting saved you though mate!

Quote Originally Posted by pencilface View Post
    B-side is a Dick Hyman cover
    Fixed.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Local micro - fair finds.

Heptones very average.Big Youth,great version of I need a roof Alton Ellis replaces a battered Ackee copy i have.

Raw edged mid sixties Chicago soul from Harold Burrage.

Id forgot just how good this is, remember reading that they piled the bass drum up with breeze blocks to get the drum sound, a very reasonable fiver.

record licker

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hero View Post
    Thought as much, you've just saved me digging the LP out Rich mate!

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    Local micro - fair finds.

Some decent 45's there chap - interested in more details on the Solaris 45 as I never knew they released a single, only ever owned the LP. Which is great.
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sie Vulture View Post
    Some decent 45's there chap - interested in more details on the Solaris 45 as I never knew they released a single, only ever owned the LP. Which is great.
    There are ,to my knowledge, at least three 45's on Dana. Two have tracks lifted from the LP that you have and the one pictured Space Invaders/ I Tried. Space Invaders is electro/P funk type of thing c/w 'modern soul ballad'.

Young Disciples: Missouri funk 1968.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0kcmmV99aY
    record licker

I've been keeping it fairly low-key of late, not getting out and about as much as I'd like, but have been getting the odd bargain off that evil Bay place.

Would like to think that I'll manage to find a few other bits before the year is out, but I think another clear-out is the main priority (stay tuned for Freebies tomorrow, if I can avoid detection in the office!).

The above selection came from Rob's a couple of weeks back. Keeping the (bonkers) Miroslav Vitous, mainly for 'Aim Your Eye', but the other two are spares (the full version of 'The Two Ronnies' really is the business!).

Top two were from Rob's. The Lennon Sisters is a keeper, if a tad polite. The Sam Sklair is a bit too parp-mongous for me, definitely working towards that style which Mandingo eventually nailed, but just a touch too jaunty for me to hang on to. OG of the 'Seasons' LP was off eBay and I was the sole bidder, so got it for a very low price - think it may have been cos the seller timed the auction to end at random o'clock. Regardless, that's another one ticked off the Wants list.

Similar story with the Barron Knights, auction finished on a weekday afternoon and I was the sole bidder. More than one decent tune on here, but not an album you'd want to be chucking money at. Found the other two in a charity shop on way to work last week, the Larry Page is one of the old VV classics, several lounge funk tunes and the Kingsmen LP is purely for trading down the market.

Got these at charity shops while on the same work activity last week. Couple of spares, but will be hanging on to the TK / Marlin disco comp.

And a couple more charity shop finds, Change 'Searching', which I make no apology for! When Luther was good, he was really good. The other 12" is Pigbag 'Papa's....' which has suffered from over-exposure at sports matches, but remains a cool bit of wonky new wave funk. And a spare of Prince's (quite hard to get) 'Controversy' 12" from Rob's, which is probably heading down to my mate in Hove.

On reflection, it's time I got back out there and spent money on summat other than Clarins gift sets, DVD box sets and books on the Pre-Raphaelites! Christmas effing shopping eh?
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

That Miroslav Vitous looks the business: contemplation of the infinite while clutching a double necked instrument, wearing big fur, and adjacent to a skull. +200 bonus points.

Just been to new shop Timebomb Records Hyde Park Corner Leeds 6 to take a few photos and came back with these.

record licker