X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom B
    Lonely Jelly
    • Feb 2006

Selection 3: Faça o amor e não faça a guerra - Brazilian rock, folk and psychedelia

Selection 3: Faça o amor e não faça a guerra - Brazilian rock, folk and psychedelia

After a rather lengthy break, here's a third installment of Brazilian tracks. The emphasis this time is on laid-back folk, rock and psychedelia. If my non-existent Portuguese is right the title means "Make love not war". This was disc 2 of my swap CD from a couple of years ago: I'll try to come up with something new in the near-ish future (ie maybe 2016).

You can download the full set here

Mixcloud here

Photos in the opening post of the thread.

1. Karma - Transe Uma (RCA Victor, 1972)

2. Piri - Reza Brava (Quartin, 1970)

3. Antonio Adolfo - Sempre Que e Possivel (Philips, 1972)

4. Hyldon - Na Rua, Na Chuva, Na Fazenda (Polydor, 1975)

5. Walter Franco e Silvia Maria - Tema do Hospital (Philips, 1971)

6. Jean e Gil - Faça o Amor e Não Faça a Guerra (Copacabana, 1971)

7. Ronnie Von - Espelhos Quebrados (Polydor, 1969)

8. Dori Caymmi - Velho Pescador (Odeon, 1972)

9. Papeti - Leila (Copacabana, 1973)

10. Paulo Bagunça e a Tropa Maldita - Mensageiro (Continental, 1973)

11. O Africanto dos Tincoãs - Salmo (RCA Camden, 1975)

12. Taiguara - Um Novo Rumo (Odeon, 1968)

13. Jose Mauro - Tarde de Nupcias (Quartin, 1970)

14. Olivia Byington - Fantasma da Opera (Continental, 1978)

15. Luli e Lucinha - Yorimata Oke Arue (Nós La Em Casa, 1978)

16. Sérgio Sampaio - Eu Sou Aquele Que Disse (Philips, 1973)

17. O Bando - Pela Rua da Praia (Polydor, 1969)

18. Raul Seixas - A Hora do Trem Passar (Philips, 1973)

19. Piri - Porta do Sol (Quartin, 1971)

20. Beto Guedes - Era Menino (EMI, 1978)

21. Lô Borges - Toda Essa Agua (EMI, 1972)

22. Toninho Horta - Manuel o Audaz (EMI, 1973)

23. Paulo Diniz - Gósto Aborrecido (Odeon, 1972)

24. Clara Nunes - Canseira (Odeon, 1971)

25. Jorge Ben - Maria Domingas (Philips, 1971)

Comment

• pencilface
      Chocolate Rain
      • Oct 2006

Brilliant! - as always a couple of deep faves and loads I don't know... Can't wait to check these
      Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Mondays Child
        Electric Prunes
        • Jul 2012

Very nice indeed. Many thanks!

Managed to get a cheap copy of Joyce's 'Feminina' LP recently which has been glued to my
        record player due to it's sunny and optimistic beauty, as has Doris Monteiro's 'Agora' LP for much the same reasons.

All great stuff, love it.

Also picked up a brace of Roberto Carlos LP's in a charity recently which I haven't spun yet...
        Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

• pencilface
          Chocolate Rain
          • Oct 2006

That OLIVIA BYINGTON record is awesome - can be picked up relatively cheaply IIRC .... Backed by the awesome BARCA DO SOL
          Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Tom B
            Lonely Jelly
            • Feb 2006

Thanks guys - 'Feminina' and the Olivia Byington are both superb LPs. I think the latter is going up in price rapidly, so grab it quick. I don't know the Doris Monteiro, but if it's in the same ballpark as Joyce I'll have to track one down.

I only got hold of the Barca Do Sol recently. Weird to hear reworking of so many songs from the Byington album, & it lacks a bit without her vocals, but still a great album.

Comment

• pencilface
              Chocolate Rain
              • Oct 2006

That DORIS MONTEIRO - "agora" LP is decent but only one really killer track for me (that i put on my Brazil mix a bit ago)
              Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Mondays Child
                Electric Prunes
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
                That DORIS MONTEIRO - "agora" LP is decent but only one really killer track for me (that i put on my Brazil mix a bit ago)
                Depends what your particular taste is. I like most of the LP. Superb musicianship, particularly the guitar work.
                This is probably my fave tune from it, but it's all good. Love the sunny upbeat-ness with the flute work.

And the Joyce, well...I'll be tracking down a few more of her early LP's...

Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

• pencilface
                  Chocolate Rain
                  • Oct 2006

"Maita" is the track I was talking about - beautiful tune! Love it.
                  Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Tom B
                    Lonely Jelly
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
                    "Maita" is the track I was talking about - beautiful tune! Love it.
                    What he said, beautiful track. Lots of nice stuff on this mix of yours Joe

Comment

• foxx
                      Hot Butter
                      • May 2014

Top selection once again Mr Tom B!
                      All from OG's I'll take it? A few unknow too so well chuffed!

Comment

• Tom B
                        Lonely Jelly
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by foxx View Post
                        Top selection once again Mr Tom B!
                        All from OG's I'll take it? A few unknow too so well chuffed!
                        Thanks for the feedback & glad you enjoyed it. Yes, all original - can't you tell from the crackles?

I'm inching towards another instalment & will try to put up proper write-ups for the tracks currently not described. Not much of a chart if it's just a list of records. So expect dramatic changes here some time in the next 18 months or so

Comment

• foxx
                          Hot Butter
                          • May 2014

Tom, bear with me... puting together a mix too before going on holiday.

Meanwhile:
                          Recorded in the Brownswood Basement one freezing, grey day in the bleak mid winter – Nuts brings the sunshine vibes via a very special – pure vinyl – DJ mix crammed with rare, sought after Brazilian gems from the 60s and 70s, interspersed with much talk of crate-digging and the legendary musicians featured herein. One for the headz!

Comment

• Tom B
                            Lonely Jelly
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by foxx View Post
                            Tom, bear with me... puting together a mix too before going on holiday.

Meanwhile:
                            https://www.mixcloud.com/gillespeter...s-from-brasil/
                            Look forward to it. Some great tracks on that mix, thanks

Comment

• amidar
                              Lonely Jelly
                              • Jun 2014

Great Stuff, thanks.
                              Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• Tom B
                                Lonely Jelly
                                • Feb 2006

SELECTION 4 Tudo De Nôvo: Brazilian club jazz, folk, funk and psychedelia

Selection 4 Tudo De Nôvo: Brazilian club jazz, folk, funk and psychedelia

After another lengthy break, here's a fourth installment of Brazilian tracks. I've gone for a very broad spectrum of sounds - the best of the records I've picked up over the past year or so. Hope you enjoy - any questions and comments welcome.

You can download the full set as a zipped file here or as individual files here

Mixcloud here

Photos and write-ups will be added in the opening post of the thread when I have a spare couple of hours...

Tracklist:

1. Grupo Enigma - Sapatão (Caravelle 7", 1972)

2. Ronnie Von e Os Mutantes - Silvia 20 Horas Domingo (Polydor 7", 1969)

3. Maria Alcina - Charles, anjo 45 (Chanticler 7", 1972)

4. De Kalafe e a Turma - Guerra (Rozenblit 7", 196?)

5. Piri - O Som Do Roberto (Quartin LP, 1970)

6. Paulo Diniz - Canção Do Meu Amor (Odeon LP, 1971)

7. Rildo Hora - O Empinador (RCA Victor LP, 1971)

8. Agnaldo Rayol - Perigo A Vista (Copacabana 7", 1969)

9. Zapatta - Fiesta Macabra (Odeon 7", 1973)

10. Free Son - Africana (Solar Fidelity / Chanticler LP, 1972)

11. The Jordans E Moacyr Silva - Gamboa (Copacabana 7", 1969)

12. Rildo Hora - A Canôa (RCA Victor LP, 1971)

13. Claudette Soares - Kosmus (Philips LP, 1969)

14. Marilia Medalha - Tudo De Nôvo (RGE 7", 1970)

15. Piri - Sombra Morta (Quartin LP, 1970)

16. Sidney Miller & Nara Leao - A Estrada E O Violeiro (Elenco LP, 1967)

17. Waleska & Josemir No Pub. Pra - Dizer Adeus (ENIR LP, 1968)

18. Waleska & Josemir No Pub. - Apelo (ENIR LP, 1968)

19. As Cancageiras Sebastiana (Itimaraty LP, 1970)

20. Raulzinho - À Vontade Mesmo (RCA Victor LP, 196?)

21. Os Tremendões - The name of the game (Sm Major EP, 1970)

22. D'Angelo - Curto de Véu e Grinalda (Equipe LP, 196?)

23. Os Marruazes - 16 Tons (Epic 7", 1969)

24. Free Son - Grande Poder (Solar Fidelity / Chanticler LP, 1972)

25. Paulo Diniz - Asa Branca (Odeon LP, 1971)

26. Edu Lôbo - Feira de Santarem (Elenco LP, 1970)

27. Matheus - Yemanja (Copacabana 7", 1971)
                                Last edited by Tom B; 12-07-2015, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X