Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brazilian sounds for the spring

Default Brazilian sounds for the spring

SELECTION 1: Espaços Entre Espaços - Brazilian psychedelia, folk, and some funky singer songwriters

There's something magical about Brazilian records from the late 60s and early 70s - a history of music that's parallel to the one I've grown up with but other-worldly. Music made during a period of brutal repression that seems liberated and joyous. Familiar reference points mixed with instruments and traditions that come from somewhere totally different. I can't claim to be any kind of expert, & not speaking Portuguese doesn't help - but rooting out Brazilian records has become something of an obsession over the last decade so I thought I should share a few.

I put together 2 CDs for the 2012 VG+ CD swap which cobbled together club jazz and MPB (Brazilian popular music) on the first and more laid back and alternative sounds on the second. When I get round to it I'll load these up in this thread. This selection focuses more on psychedelia, rock and some vaguely uptempo folky grooves. You can listen to each track individually below.

DOWNLOAD the full set here

MIXCLOUD here.

Hope you enjoy...

1. Paulinho X Dorinhas - Vivencias (Forma EP, 1972)
    From the soundtrack to the TV mini-series (novela) 'Temp de Viver'. I don't know much about either of the singers but the whole EP is beautiful.

2. Guttemberg Guarabyra - O Que É Que Houve? (Odeon 7", 1971)
    Co-written by Jose Rodrix, who put out a very sought-after single himself around the same time. Great catchy chorus which builds to a real crescendo.

3. Sirlan - Super Heroi (Som Livre 7", 1972)
    Can't find out too much about the single or artist. Another catchy pop song, to my ears at least!

4. Naire E O Som Século - Biquini Bacana (RGE 7", 1971)
    I think this is the same Naire who made a great LP around the same time.

5. Jean E Gil - Tagarela (Copacabana 7", 1971)
    'Tagarela' is Portuguese slang for 'chatty', apparently.

6. Majó - As Sementes (Odeon 7", 1974)

7. Azambuja E CIA - Nega Brucho (CID LP, 1975)
    A very strange LP - a couple of excellent tracks and large chunks of comedy routines, to an appreciative audience. Azambuja and CIA are comedic alter egos for Arnaud Rodrigues and Chico Anysio and the LP is from a TV show of the same name.

8. Cléo Galante - Você Vai Ver Que Eu Tenho Razão (Fermata 7", 1972)

9. Carlos Thiago - Cabeceira (RCA 7", 1972)
    I'm only aware of this single by him, but apparently he made other records.

10. Os Impossiveis - Dando Fora (Copacabana LP, 1972)
    A real one-tracker, but it's a great song.

11. Trio Nagô e Roberto Luna - Capoeira (RCA Victor 7", 1968)
    Berimbau opening, builds to epic scale which sounds like a Spaghetti Western soundtrack transplanted to Matto Grosso

12. Equipe Mercado - Mary K. No Esgoto Das Maravilhas (Odeon 7", 1970)
    Art school quirkiness - something about US filmstars I think, I can pick out 'Douglas Fairbanks' but the rest is a bit hazy.

13. Rubinho E Mauro Assumpção - Quero Companheira (Tapecar LP, 197?)
    This whole LP blew me away when I finally found a reasonably priced copy earlier this year - there's another track later on, and I could have put the whole LP on here...

14. Sociedade Anônima - Filho Do Sol (Som Livre 7", 1972)
    Another one-single group, so far as I can find out. Features the drummer Rui Motta, who also played with Os Mutantes.

15. Som Imaginário - (Odeon LP, 1971)
    The LP gets a bit over-proggy for me but this track has some excellent fuzz

16. Karma - Você Pode Ir Além (RCA LP, 1972)
    Just the best LP of whacked-out Brazilian psychedelia I've heard - I think I've pretty much worn this out over the past few years...

17. Marcos Valle - Vôo Cego (Odeon LP, 1972)
    Marcos Valle Described this LP as his 'hippie experiment'; it features backing from O Terço and was largely written and rehearsed at Buzios, a coastal hang-out for artists and alternative lifestyles. I think this is the only Valle LP from his golden period through the late 60s to mid 70s with songs he didn't write - this one is by Cláudio Guimarães - but the whole works beautifully.

18. Marconi Notaro - Fidelidade (Rozenblit LP, 1973)
    Part of a tight-knit musical network around Recife in on the north coast of Brazil, Notaro died in 2000 before this LP was 'rediscovered'. It's a mesmeric swirl of sounds, melodies, dischordant noise and drone-like psych 35 years before its time.

19. Nelson Angelo E Joyce - Vivo Ou Morto (Odeon LP, 1972)
    A perfect LP, combining masterful and restrained orchestration with Joyce's clear,beautiful voice.

20. Toninho Horta - Diana (Odeon LP, 1980)
    A member of the Clube Da Esquina collective with Milton Nascimento, Lô Borges and others in the early 70s, Horta didn't make a lot of records but the ones he did produce are well worth tracking down.

21. Antonio Adolfo - Espaços Entre Espaços (Philis LP, 1974)
    Adolfo sounds to me a bit like a Brazilian Elton John at times - I guess it's the singer-piano player vibe. This track ("spaces within spaces") has some nice woozy sound effects and a lovely tune.

22. Paulinho E Dorinha - E Natural (Forma EP, 1972)
    This track was co-written by Antonio Adolfo - a fact I only realised just now, so it's serendipitous that it comes after the previous track...

23. Nana, Nelson Angelo, Novelli - Aranda (Saravah LP, 197?)
    Issued on the French Saravah label - more experimental and electronic than his earlier stuff.

24. Rubinho E Mauro Assumpção - Quando Cheguei (Tapecar LP, 197?)

25. Karma - Tributo Ao Sorriso (RCA LP, 1972)

<<UPDATE JUNE 2014>>

SELECTION 2: Bem Quente - Brazilian club jazz, pop and groove

Here's another seleção of Brazilian records from the 60s and early 70s, this time with the focus on uptempo dance tracks and Brazilian jazz combos. These tunes were on my swap CD from a couple of years ago, but I thought it might be a good time to bung them up for all to hear. I'll add some short write-ups if I get time...

If I understand it correctly the Moreira da Silva track is the tale of how Brazilian agent Moreira confounds James Bond and helps the Brazilian team to win the 1966 World Cup, while also copping off with Claudia Cardinale.

You can download the full set here

Mixcloud here

1. Inema Trio - Aruê Pam (RGE 7", 1970)
    Vocal trio from Bahia - two members went on to form Tom & Dito.

2. Joni Maza - Você Vai... Você Vem... (RCA Victor LP, 1968)
    Bandleader and drummer from Rio

3. Elizabeth - Vou Falar-lhe Francamente (RGE 7", 1970)
    There's an excellent LP by Elizabeth with a bunch of good tracks - including one used by Mr Mck on a swap mix not so long ago. She was apparently nicknamed ‘Gatinha do Mato’ (loosely translated as ‘Jungle Kitten’…).

4. Claudia - Macumba (RGE 7", 1970)
    Again, can't find out much about Claudia - nice Halloween moves though...

5. Ivette Garcia - Caju Amigo (RCA Victor 7", 1966)
    This came in a Globo library sleeve, from the Brazilian TV / radio giant, so I guess filching from sound libraries is a universal phenomenon.

6. Erasmo Carlos - Vinte e Seis Anos de Vida Normal (Philips 7", 1971)
    Hits harder than the Marcos Valle original

7. Anamaria e Mauricio - Eu Quero Ver (Chantecler 7", 1971)
    Another top-class Marcos Valle cover - production by Artur Verocai

8. Wilson Simonal - Sem Essa (Odeon LP, 1970)
    Simonal was so much more than just a crooner. This LP came out when his career was already on the wane, hit by rumours that he was a stooge for the military regime. There seems to have been a collective revision to this narrative - and the consensus now is that he was at worst naive in failing to understand the corrosive politics of the late 60s / early 70s. Perhaps his greatest crime was to be hugely successful, adored - and black.

9. Claudia Soares - Carolina, Carol Bela (Philips LP, 1970)
    Beautiful Jorge Ben cover from a stellar LP.

10. Osmar Milito e Quarteto Forma - Rita Jeep (Som Livre LP, 1971)
    Another Jorge Ben track - Osmar Milito assembled a top set of musicians and arrangers for this LP, overseen by Luiz Eça and produced by Nonato Buzar.

11. Marilia Pera - Shirley Sexy (Som Livre LP, 1971)
    From the soundtrack to a TV mini-series (novela) called O Cafona - groovy remake of a track first recorded by Claudette Soares.

12. Banda Veneno de Erlon Chaves - Quem E (Philips LP, 1971)
    Yet another Jorge Ben cover - Erlon Chaves was a stalwart band leader and recorded a string of excellent soundtracks in the early 70s.

13. Vanja Orico - Janaina (Continental 7", 1974)
    An actress who sang in Fellini's 1950 film Luci del Varieta, apparently.

14. Toquinho - Zana (RGE 7", 1970)
    Famous for LPs recorded with lyricist and poet Vicinius De Moraes - this is yet another Jorge Ben cover

15. Tim Maia - Quer Queira Quer Nao Queira (Seroma LP)
    From the second of Maia's famous 'Racional' LPs released while he was a member of the "Rational Culture" cult, based on the ideas in the book Universo em Desencanto (Universe in Disenchantment) by Manoel Jacintho Coelho.

16. Rock Grain - Out a space (Square LP, 1972)
    Apparently this group is the backing band from the 2 Tim Maia Racional LPs, though that might just be eBay hype...

17. Johnny Alf - Bossa So (Imagem LP)
    One of the original, and most feted Bossa Nova singers in the 50s and 60s - heavily influenced by American jazz and vocalists like Sinatra. This track echoes these sources - his mellow voice reminds me of Nat King Cole.

18. Lennie Dale e o Sambalanço Trio - The Lady is a Tramp (Elenco LP)
    One of a number of US singers to move to Rio during the 50s and early 60s - Dick Farley, who was a mentor for Johnny Alf is another. Dale was apparently a big influence on Elis Regina, who took on some of his phrasing and also his stage mannerisms. Dale is backed on this LP by the superb Sambalanço Trio - Cesar Camargo Mariano (piano), Humberto Clayber (bass) and Airto Moreira (drums).

19. Joni Maza - Zero Hora (RCA Victor LP, 1968)

20. Osmar Milito e Quarteto Forma - Joao Bello (Som Livre LP, 1971)

21. Sérgio Mendes e Bossa Rio - Neurotico (Philips LP, 1964)
    Before his world-conquering - and often very excellent - MOR concoctions, Sérgio Mendes was a Rio jazz pianist who played with Tom Jobim and other luminaries of bossa nova. This LP must have come out shortly before he decamped to the States and the rest is history... Jobim is the arranger on this LP, and the band includes Edson Maciel and Raulzinho on trombone plus Edison Machado on drums.

22. Dom Salvador e Banda Abolição - Moeda, Reza e Cor (CBS LP, 1971)
    Fantastically funky LP - Salvador had been around for years but (James Brown-style) recruited a young band at the turn of the 70s and updated his sound.

23. Pery Ribeiro - So Quero (Som Livre LP, 1972)
    Others followed suit: Ribeiro was an established vocalist but took on Dom Salvador's band to give his career an overhaul. The LP's a bit uneven, but there are 3 or 4 cracking tracks.

24. Penha Maria - Sol Demais (Rozenblit 7", 1968)
    Not much info available on Penha Maria - great track though...

25. Ivette Garcia - Pobre e Teimoso (RCA Victor 7", 1966)

26. Os 3 Morais - Automovel (Continental 7", 1972)
    Formed by 3 brothers: apparently their foremost influence was the Swingle Singers. By the time this single was recorded one of the original band had left to form a husband-wife duo and been replaced by Vera Lúcia.

27. Moreira da Silva - Morenguera Contra 007 (Odeon 7", 1965)
    Brazil's international man of mystery helps Pele and co to outfox James Bond and win the cup in 1966 while copping off with Claudia Cardinale.

28. Gasolina - Batucada de Nada (Continental 7")
    Nice drum and cuica work-out. Drawn a blank finding out anything about the band though...

29. Capitão Aza e Martinha - Sideral (CID 7")
    From what I can gather this is taken from a children's programme in which Brazil is at the vanguard of the space race... I think this is excellent - perhaps it's better not to understand every word, from what I can work out it's a bit like a reinvention of Space Oddity.

<<UPDATE OCTOBER 2014

SELECTION 3: Faça o amor e não faça a guerra: Brazilian rock, folk and psychedelia

After a rather lengthy break, here's a third installment of Brazilian tracks. The emphasis this time is on folk, rock and psychedelia with a laid-back feel. This was disc 2 of my swap CD from a couple of years ago: I'll try to come up with something new in the near-ish future (ie maybe 2016). Hope you enjoy - any questions and comments welcome.

Mixcloud here

1. Karma - Transe Uma (RCA Victor, 1972)
    Last record made by guitarist Jorge Amiden, previously with O Terço. Also features Luiz Mendes Junior (guitar & vocals) and Alen Cazinho Terra (bass & vocals).

2. Piri - Reza Brava (Quartin, 1970)
    One of a handful of records issued on Roberto Quartin's label - and one of only two 45s of which I'm aware. Piri plays guitar and sings; also Danilo Caymmi and Paulinho Jobim on flute, Jorge Marinho on bass, Wilson Das Neves on drums and Juquinha on percussion. Tita Lobo sings backing vocals.

3. Antonio Adolfo - Sempre Que e Possivel (Philips, 1972)
    This LP was produced by Paulinho Tapajós

4. Hyldon - Na Rua, Na Chuva, Na Fazenda (Polydor, 1975)
    Most famous (I guess) from the City of God soundtrack, beautiful Brazilian folk.

5. Walter Franco e Silvia Maria - Tema do Hospital (Philips, 1971)
    Apparently this is from a TV novela called 'Hospital'

6. Jean e Gil - Faça o Amor e Não Faça a Guerra (Copacabana, 1971)
    Precious little info available on this - my limited Portuguese indicates that the title means 'make love not war'.

7. Ronnie Von - Espelhos Quebrados (Polydor, 1969)
    Some great fuzz guitar on this track, Ronnie's backed by Os Mutantes.

8. Dori Caymmi - Velho Pescador (Odeon, 1972)
    Son of the great Dorival; Dori worked through much of the 60s as a producer for Edu Lobô, Caetano Veloso, Nara Leao and Eumir Deodato. Despite his long career this is his only LP before a flurry of release in the 80s and 90s. This song was originally recorded by his sister Nana.

9. Papeti - Leila (Copacabana, 1973)
    Haven't been able to find any info about either Papeti or this single.

10. Paulo Bagunça e a Tropa Maldita - Mensageiro (Continental, 1973)
    Cult classic Brazilian release - the myth is that Bagunça was a street musician who won a competition to record an LP before disappearing shortly after its release. Not sure whether that's true or not, but it's a superb record.

11. O Africanto dos Tincoãs - Salmo (RCA Camden, 1975)
    This is a blues-style prayer to the Lord about the impacts of drought in the North East of Brazil.

12. Taiguara - Um Novo Rumo (Odeon, 1968)
    Another Verocai production - his trademark strings much in evidence.

13. Jose Mauro - Tarde de Nupcias (Quartin, 1970)
    Only the second 45 released by the Quartin label (and unlike most Brazilian singles these really did play at 45...). Mauro tragically died in a car crash in the early 70s.

14. Olivia Byington - Fantasma da Opera (Continental, 1978)
    The story is that Byington's father was a high-level employee of the record label, and pulled some strings to get his daughter to release this LP. Whatever the background it was worth it - she has a strident singing style which fits with the music very well, most of which reworks songs previously released by the band A Barca Do Sol, who provide backing here.

15. Luli e Lucinha - Yorimata Oke Arue (Nós La Em Casa, 1978)
    Female folk duo, this was their only release together.

16. Sérgio Sampaio - Eu Sou Aquele Que Disse (Philips, 1973)
    Sampaio rocked vampish make-up like a Brazilian Alice Cooper. The music is altogether more introspective; this LP produced by Raul Seixas is a relatively unheralded high point of Brazilian rock from the early 70s.

17. O Bando - Pela Rua da Praia (Polydor, 1969)
    Recorded in São Paulo; vocals from Marisa Fossa who put out a cool version of Marcos Valle's 'Wanda Vidal' a couple of years later.

18. Raul Seixas - A Hora do Trem Passar (Philips, 1973)
    Brazilian rocker who led the band Raulzito E Os Panteras during the 60s.

19. Piri - Porta do Sol (Quartin, 1971)

20. Beto Guedes - Era Menino (EMI, 1978)
    Later LP by Guedes, who kept up a high standard of releases right through to the early 80s.

21. Lô Borges - Toda Essa Agua (EMI, 1972)
    Fantastic LP featuring Toninho Horta, Tenorio Jr, Robertino Silva, and Nelson Angelo among others.

22. Toninho Horta - Manuel o Audaz (EMI, 1973)
    Superb collaborative effort by consortium of musicians from Belo Horizonte, a number of whom worked with Milton Nascimento on the famous Clube De Esquina LP.

23. Paulo Diniz - Gósto Aborrecido (Odeon, 1972)
    Diniz is a bit of an unsung talent - he produced a string of excellent LPs during the 70s, and wrote a number of songs covered by more celebrated contemporaries.

24. Clara Nunes - Canseira (Odeon, 1971)
    Nunes was known as one of the 3 'queens of Samba', and became increasingly interested in the African roots of Brazilian music and the Umbanda religion later in her life. This track was written by Paulo Diniz.

25. Jorge Ben - Maria Domingas (Philips, 1971)
    Another sublime production from the incomparable Arthur Verocai.

<<UPDATE JULY 2015>>

Selection 4 Tudo De Nôvo: Brazilian club jazz, folk, funk and psychedelia

After another lengthy break, here's a fourth installment of Brazilian tracks. I've gone for a very broad spectrum of sounds - the best of the records I've picked up over the past year or so. Hope you enjoy - any questions and comments welcome.

You can download the full set as a zipped file here or as individual files here

Mixcloud here

Photos and write-ups will be added in the opening post of the thread when I have a spare couple of hours...

Tracklist:

1. Grupo Enigma - Sapatão (Caravelle 7", 1972)

2. Ronnie Von e Os Mutantes - Silvia 20 Horas Domingo (Polydor 7", 1969)

3. Maria Alcina - Charles, anjo 45 (Chanticler 7", 1972)

4. De Kalafe e a Turma - Guerra (Rozenblit 7", 196?)

5. Piri - O Som Do Roberto (Quartin LP, 1970)

6. Paulo Diniz - Canção Do Meu Amor (Odeon LP, 1971)

7. Rildo Hora - O Empinador (RCA Victor LP, 1971)

8. Agnaldo Rayol - Perigo A Vista (Copacabana 7", 1969)

9. Zapatta - Fiesta Macabra (Odeon 7", 1973)

10. Free Son - Africana (Solar Fidelity / Chanticler LP, 1972)

11. The Jordans E Moacyr Silva - Gamboa (Copacabana 7", 1969)

12. Rildo Hora - A Canôa (RCA Victor LP, 1971)

13. Claudette Soares - Kosmus (Philips LP, 1969)

14. Marilia Medalha - Tudo De Nôvo (RGE 7", 1970)

15. Piri - Sombra Morta (Quartin LP, 1970)

16. Sidney Miller & Nara Leao - A Estrada E O Violeiro (Elenco LP, 1967)

17. Waleska & Josemir No Pub. Pra - Dizer Adeus (ENIR LP, 1968)

18. Waleska & Josemir No Pub. - Apelo (ENIR LP, 1968)

19. As Cancageiras Sebastiana (Itimaraty LP, 1970)

20. Raulzinho - À Vontade Mesmo (RCA Victor LP, 196?)

21. Os Tremendões - The name of the game (Som Major EP, 1970)

22. D'Angelo - Curto de Véu e Grinalda (Equipe LP, 196?)

23. Os Marruazes - 16 Tons (Epic 7", 1969)

24. Free Son - Grande Poder (Solar Fidelity / Chanticler LP, 1972)

25. Paulo Diniz - Asa Branca (Odeon LP, 1971)

26. Edu Lôbo - Feira de Santarem (Elenco LP, 1970)

27. Matheus - Yemanja (Copacabana 7", 1971)

Last edited by Tom B; 12-07-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Thanks for these, most enjoyable and enlightening. Appreciate the effort you've gone to.
    I get a bit put off by all the hype surrounding Brazilian music because wherever you go you constantly get heads like Gilles Peterson
    droning on about what/where and when he was doing when he bought so and so,
    and new kids like that Floating points guy who's only been around for about five minutes buying up
    armfuls of the stuff.

Just a personal thing really so please excuse the rant!

It's nice to have a perspective from somebody who just wants to share the sounds
    rather than attaching some kind of 'hip' value to it.

.......anyway, I would be interested if you have any examples of more melancholic and
    horizontal sounds, anything with nice string/orchestral arrangements. Doesn't have to be
    funky either.
    It's an area I know very little about and I'm not that interested in the more uptempo stuff.

Cheers!

@TomB: Unpredictable wonders, chosen with wonderfully predictable taste.

@ MondaysChild: Arthur Verocai, but then you knew that already, didn't you?

Thanks Tom
    I loved your Xmas mixes from last year - still listen to them frequently
    Ive got a day of DIY ahead and I'm looking forward to listening to this as I'm hanging doors
    So much great music - so little time!
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by Mondays Child View Post
    It's nice to have a perspective from somebody who just wants to share the sounds

.......anyway, I would be interested if you have any examples of more melancholic and
    horizontal sounds, anything with nice string/orchestral arrangements. Doesn't have to be
    funky either.
    It's an area I know very little about and I'm not that interested in the more uptempo stuff.
    Thanks & hope there's enough downtempo stuff here to keep you happy! Alan's suggestion of Arthur Verocai is spot-on for me, though I'm not quite clear what you're after. Have you got any examples of stuff in this vein you like?

Alan, Matt - thanks! & hope you enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    Have you got any examples of stuff in this vein you like?
    I'll have a root around and get back to you.

Cheers!

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Great mix, Tom. Filling in the tension-filled hours before Cup Final kick-off rather nicely
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Thanks for these, most enjoyable and enlightening. Appreciate the effort you've gone to.
    I get a bit put off by all the hype surrounding Brazilian music because wherever you go you constantly get heads like Gilles Peterson
    droning on about what/where and when he was doing when he bought so and so,
    and new kids like that Floating points guy who's only been around for about five minutes buying up
    armfuls of the stuff.

Just a personal thing really so please excuse the rant!

funky either.

Cheers!

I hear ya on the rant above, especially about G P...LOL!
    I'd suggest looking in the direction of music from Minas Gerais, anything from the 'Clube Da Esquina' gang of musicians will be fine, also Flavio Venturini records from the late 1970s through to the early 1980s have some lovely gentle tracks on them. So many amazing mellow deep tracks on Brazilian albums, but often on albums that have mostly mid/uptempo tracks as a whole!

Have a listen to this mix I did a few years ago, mostly stuff on the mellow side of things, might be to your liking!

https://soundcloud.com/good-vibes/mi...ective-website

Some firm favourites and new ones to me - looking forward to checking them out. Coincidentally, i picked up the Paulinho X Dorinhas (though the first track is my favourite on that EP) and Sirlan in the last month myself too…. we must be smoking the same shit!

Looking forward to this, Tom. Thanks. Can´t wait to hear the 2012 mixes, too - I've had an eye on those for a while

I haven´t heard Gilles for ages, but I don´t think you can really knock him for his enthusiasm about Brazilian stuff. Him and Joe Davis were among the few folks who kicked the whole thing off in the UK about 25 years ago.

Brazilian music is just so deep, enormous, varied and rewarding that any conceptions of "hip" are pretty irrelevant.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    Him and Joe Davis were among the few folks who kicked the whole thing off in the UK about 25 years ago.
    With due respect to Gilles and Joe Davis - there were a few of us around into Brazilian music before they "kicked" things off!

Listened to the mix yesterday - another good one Tom!

The "spaghetti western" one you mention in your track listing reminds me of this one - it still sounds incredible:

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlim View Post
    With due respect to Gilles and Joe Davis - there were a few of us around into Brazilian music before they "kicked" things off!
    True, but they put it on the shelves in record shops, establish it in clubs with the Blue Brazil/Brazilica comps.

There were David Byrne´s earlier comps, and Rick Glanvill curated a whole slew of Brazil comps that I got on cassette. It was Rick and Mick McCoy that put me onto latin music in the first place at the Echoes club in Newcastle. But apart from that it was generally slim pickings, and you barely got a glimpse of what Brazilian music had to offer apart from old bossa.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

True, but they put it on the shelves in record shops, establish it in clubs with the Blue Brazil/Brazilica comps.

There were David Byrne´s earlier comps, and Rick Glanvill curated a whole slew of Brazil comps that I got on cassette. It was Rick and Mick McCoy that put me onto latin music in the first place at the Echoes club in Newcastle. But apart from that it was generally slim pickings, and you barely got a glimpse of what Brazilian music had to offer apart from old bossa.
    I think it was going to see this film in the early 80s that "kicked" things off seriously for me.

I haven´t heard Gilles for ages, but I don´t think you can really knock him for his enthusiasm about Brazilian stuff. Him and Joe Davis were among the few folks who kicked the whole thing off in the UK about 25 years ago.

Brazilian music is just so deep, enormous, varied and rewarding that any conceptions of "hip" are pretty irrelevant.
    No knocking here, just a quick moan as a few things he's said recently about Brazilian music paints him in a certain light where it's like he was responsible for the whole introduction
    of this music in the UK which is just plainly bollocks frankly!
    And I would concur with what SirSlim said.
    I know for a fact of quite a few people who were into those kind of vibes many, many years before Mr Peterson. So I repeat, when I hear him droning on like he's the saviour of
    music because of the fact that he was at the birth of this scene or that scene (which he might well have been for some of them) it kinda gets on my tits a bit.
    He did that with Drum and Bass back in the day, trying to ride the coat tails of a certian Blue Note Sunday sessions.

It's just a little irksome is all, so I just wanted to clarify.

Tom, I'm still trying to get some time so I can go through my meagre Brazil stash of LP's to find some examples of what I was after.......

Footnote*

I also didn't want to derail this fine thread by turning it into a rant/moan/gripe against GP. He is a fine fellow and I have the utmost respect for him.
    However he does talk bollocks sometimes as we are all want to to do occasionally!

Thanks for the comments

Quote Originally Posted by pencilface View Post
    Coincidentally, i picked up the Paulinho X Dorinhas (though the first track is my favourite on that EP) and Sirlan in the last month myself too…. we must be smoking the same shit!
    Nice couple of singles there Joe. The first song on the Paulinho X Dorinhas EP is track 22 on the mix (couldn't decide which to use).

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlim View Post
    The "spaghetti western" one you mention in your track listing reminds me of this one - it still sounds incredible:
    I hadn't heard that version of Upa Neguinho before - fantastic!

Tom, I'm still trying to get some time so I can go through my meagre Brazil stash of LP's to find some examples of what I was after.......
    Keep us posted!

As for the Joe Davis, Gilles Peterson debate - I doubt whether too many people in Brazil are losing any sleep. As Sean says, there's such a huge wealth of diverse music that to be proprietorial or claim comprehensive knowledge is hubris.

I hadn't heard that version of Upa Neguinho before - fantastic!
    My work here is done...

I first heard it on the radio - played by funnily enough Gilles Peterson - who obtained it from Joe Davis - who I believe, if memory serves bought it off a Portuguese collector...

The day after, I rushed down to Mr Bongo Records (in the days when they were in the basement of Daddy Kool Records) and searched the racks/asked about it - drawing blanks looks.

Great taste Mr Tom B!

I have most of the ones you've listed and can honestly say the Karma lp is in my Top 5 all time favorite. Mind blowing stuff, Verocai once again!

Took me a while to track down a copy of that Som Imaginario, but worth it!

Marconi Notaro has been on my want list for a long time....

I was however not aware of that Paulinho Dorinha EP, thanks for sharing that one!

... and to carry on the list Tom B started: Quarteto Em Cy, MPB4, Azymuth, Antono Adolfo E A Brazuca, Tom Ze, etc
    Last edited by foxx; 09-05-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Took me a while to track down a copy of that Som Imaginario, but worth it!

Total brag alert!!: I got that as a €5 BIN a year or two ago froma Euro dude who clearly wasn't into Brazilain stuff. Dead chuffed!

Default SELECTION 2: Bem Quente - Brazilian club jazz, pop and groove

<<UPDATE JUNE 2014>>

SELECTION 2: Bem Quente - Brazilian club jazz, pop and groove

Here's another seleção of Brazilian records from the 60s and early 70s, this time with the focus on uptempo dance tracks and Brazilian jazz combos. These tunes were on my swap CD from a couple of years ago, but I thought it might be a good time to bung them up for all to hear. I'll add some short write-ups if I get time...

If I understand it correctly the Moreira da Silva track is the tale of how Brazilian agent Moreira confounds James Bond and helps the Brazilian team to win the 1966 World Cup, while also copping off with Claudia Cardinale.

Mixcloud here

Photos in the opening post of the thread.

1. Inema Trio - Aruê Pam (RGE 7", 1970)

2. Joni Maza - Você Vai... Você Vem... (RCA Victor LP, 1968)

3. Elizabeth - Vou Falar-lhe Francamente (RGE 7", 1970)

4. Claudia - Macumba (RGE 7", 1970)

5. Ivette Garcia - Caju Amigo (RCA Victor 7", 1966)

6. Erasmo Carlos - Vinte e Seis Anos de Vida Normal (Philips 7", 1971)

7. Anamaria e Mauricio - Eu Quero Ver (Chantecler 7", 1971)

8. Wilson Simonal - Sem Essa (Odeon LP, 1970)

9. Claudia Soares - Carolina, Carol Bela (Philips LP, 1970)

10. Osmar Milito e Quarteto Forma - Rita Jeep (Som Livre LP, 1971)

11. Marilia Pera - Shirley Sexy (Som Livre LP, 1971)

12. Banda Veneno de Erlon Chaves - Quem E (Philips LP, 1971)

13. Vanja Orico - Janaina (Continental 7", 1974)

14. Toquinho - Zana (RGE 7", 1970)

15. Tim Maia - Quer Queira Quer Nao Queira (Seroma LP)

16. Rock Grain - Out a space (Square LP, 1972)

17. Johnny Alf - Bossa So (Imagem LP)

18. Lennie Dale e o Sambalanço Trio - The Lady is a Tramp (Elenco LP)

19. Joni Maza - Zero Hora (RCA Victor LP, 1968)

20. Osmar Milito e Quarteto Forma - Joao Bello (Som Livre LP, 1971)

21. Sérgio Mendes e Bossa Rio - Neurotico (Philips LP, 1964)

22. Dom Salvador e Banda Abolição - Moeda, Reza e Cor (CBS LP, 1971)

23. Pery Ribeiro - So Quero (Som Livre LP, 1972)

24. Penha Maria - Sol Demais (Rozenblit 7", 1968)

25. Ivette Garcia - Pobre e Teimoso (RCA Victor 7", 1966)

26. Os 3 Morais - Automovel (Continental 7", 1972)

27. Moreira da Silva - Morenguera Contra 007 (Odeon 7", 1965)

28. Gasolina - Batucada de Nada (Continental 7")

29. Capitão Aza e Martinha - Sideral (CID 7")

nice stuff tom. I only have the Erlon Chaves so some great stuff for me to lust after.

Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsechaser View Post
    nice stuff tom. I only have the [COLOR=#333333] Erlon Chaves so some great stuff for me to lust after.
    Thanks Phil - give it a listen & let me know if you think the eye candy matches up with the sounds.

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

amazing looking stuff - cheers Tom
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

This is great - thanks Tom. I really enjoyed both selections. I think I need to look out for more Brazilian 7" s after looking at your tracklists.

The Brazil themed mix seems to be quite popular at the moment for some reason, with even Gilles Peterson getting in on the act with his Essential Mix over the weekend. Here is my effort that I put together for the Jazz Meet podcast:
    http://www.mixcloud.com/thejazzmeet/...-by-tom-greig/

tracklist: Aquarius (Azimuth) - Jingle Cruzeiro Cesar Mariano & Cia - Metropole Skymark - Grumari Edison Machado - Nana Tamba Trio - Negro Krishnanda - Flor de Lotus Marlos Nobre e Orquestra - Ritual Marcos Valle - Paz de Futebol Osmar Milito e Quarteto Forma - Mandato Brazil By Music - Gauchina Bem Querer Batacuda No. 3 - Improvisos na Batacuda Joao Bosco - O Rondo de Cuica Tamba Trio - Mas Que Nada! Aquarius (Azimuth) - Zanzibar Los Brasilios - Brasilian Beat Salinas - Tenha Fe Pois Amanha Um Lindo Dia Vai Osmar Milito e Quarteto Forma - Corpo Sano Em Mente Sa Os Tapes - Danca Da Lagoa do Sol Pao Com Manteiga - Montana Purpura Apolo IV - Azimuth (Mil Milhas - temade Marcelo) - Visit Brazil - Elis Regina - Samba Da Bencao Maria Crueza - Aza Branca Ed Lincoln - Na Onda Do Berimbau Elza Soares & Wilson Das Neves - Deixa Isso Pra La Flora Purim - Love Lock Astrud Gilberto - Meu Piao Azimuth - Montreal City Cesar Carmargo Mariano & Cia - Gravura Horacio Chivo Borraro Quinteto - Mi Amigo Tarzan Victor Assis - Puzzle Salvador Trio - Arrastao Zimbo Trio - Poliedro Tenorio Jr - Nebulosa - Visit Brazil - Os Originais Do Samba - Tenha Fe Pois Amanha Um Lindo Dia Vai Orquestra e Coro Som Livre - Selva de Pedra - Visit Brazil -

<<UPDATE JUNE 2014>>

These tunes were on my swap CD from a couple of years ago, but I thought it might be a good time to bung them up for all to hear. I'll add some short write-ups if I get time...
    Some gems on those CDs - thanks for the handy mp3s for the pod Tom.

<<UPDATE JUNE 2014>>
    Great selection once again!
    (the first mix was more my type of stuff though)
    Last edited by foxx; 16-06-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Glad it's going down well. Some stone classics on that mixcloud selections spiritual jazz mags - I'd love to get an OG of that Krishnanda LP...

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Great selection once again!
    (the first mix was more my type of stuff though)
    I thought you might prefer the first one! I'm enjoying that Madlib mix you sent me a link to, thanks

I'm enjoying that Madlib mix you sent me a link to, thanks
    that's the spirit!

Sorry if anyone's had a problem downloading the most recent set of files - my account seems to have been frozen so I've shifted to another site here. Hope this works now...

Ah! Good work on the link - got a long car journey tomorrow, these will help me breeze right through. Looks great, ta for the uploads and info.