• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • treeboy
    Lonely Jelly
    • Aug 2012

Australias last vinyl press

Short piece on the Beeb today

How discs are pressed at the only record company in Australia with a vinyl press.

Intrigued by the "missing auto presses" in Brazil!. How can one go missing?
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all
  • von staubig
    Green Onions
    • Mar 2007

Methinks that if a producer goes out of business, there will not be anybody in the market for a second hand press so it will just be abandoned and eventually forgotten about and so goes 'missing'.
    Are there many producers left in the UK?
    ...and that was the day I realized I had to stop collecting things like records or dead bodies.

Comment

• The Divine One
      Lonely Jelly
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by von staubig View Post
      Methinks that if a producer goes out of business, there will not be anybody in the market for a second hand press so it will just be abandoned and eventually forgotten about and so goes 'missing'.
      Are there many producers left in the UK?
      Any producers?! As far as I'm aware, nobody's manufactured a record pressing machine since the 1970s, possibly the 1960s. It's just ancient machines which work round the clock, break down, get serviced, press a few hundred thousand more records, break down etc.

From what I hear, getting vinyl pressed is a nightmare right now. Waiting times of three months are standard, largely due to major labels clogging up the presses for Record Store Day. The same major labels which were very keen on putting independent shops out of business, when they could shift millions of CDs in supermarkets. And the same major labels who (allegedly) bought pressing machines in the late 80s and dumped them in the sea...*

*if this story can be verified, I'd be keen to hear some background...
      Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

• treeboy
        Lonely Jelly
        • Aug 2012

Right, where's me snorkel?
        I'd be keen to hear more on that too. Sounds crazy enough to be true.

Could it be this?
        HMV artists in 1969, including The Avengers, Des Britten, Top Shelf, The Simple Image, Quincy Conserve, Yolande Gibson, Steve Allen, Allison Durbin, Brendan Dugan, with producer Peter Dawkins

Comment

• Viva Chiba
          Lonely Jelly
          • Feb 2003

I wonder how much it would actually cost to construct a new pressing unit from scratch, using modern-fangled technology? Surely this could be achieved ... but I suppose it would be considered too much of a risky investment, despite the perennially stale 'vinyl revival' stories circulated by our 'news' outlets ...

Comment

• AlanP
            Electric Prunes
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
            Right, where's me snorkel?
            I'd be keen to hear more on that too. Sounds crazy enough to be true.

Could it be this?
            http://www.audioculture.co.nz/scenes...pressing-plant
            that's been a great old legend here, and I think Peter Mc's finally cracked it. but if every plant that was supposed to be dumped in a harbour here showed up, well, we'd have lots.

Comment

• von staubig
              Green Onions
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
              Any producers?! As far as I'm aware, nobody's manufactured a record pressing machine since the 1970s, possibly the 1960s. It's just ancient machines which work round the clock, break down, get serviced, press a few hundred thousand more records, break down etc.
              Sorry, you misunderstood me. I meant are there many producers of vinyl records not presses.
              ...and that was the day I realized I had to stop collecting things like records or dead bodies.

Comment

• treeboy
                Lonely Jelly
                • Aug 2012

There's a few on here
                I have compiled a list of all the vinyl pressing plants across the globe that I know are still pressing vinyl. If you know of any that aren’t listed here, please contact me and I shall add th…

be interesting to find out about some of the smaller operations

Comment

• jb stanislas
                  Animated Egg
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                  There's a few on here
                  I have compiled a list of all the vinyl pressing plants across the globe that I know are still pressing vinyl. If you know of any that aren’t listed here, please contact me and I shall add th…

be interesting to find out about some of the smaller operations
                  I recall some talk, locally, about Corduroy. Dont know if it;s current.

Comment

• Jazzman Gerald
                    Animated Egg
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Viva Chiba View Post
                    I wonder how much it would actually cost to construct a new pressing unit from scratch, using modern-fangled technology? Surely this could be achieved ... but I suppose it would be considered too much of a risky investment, despite the perennially stale 'vinyl revival' stories circulated by our 'news' outlets ...
                    GZ are doing it, the first new presses to be built anywhere in the world since the early '80s. It's true that demand is huge at the moment, all the European plants are working 24/7 and have a long backlog which is a real nuisance, especially when all these extra records they're making are mostly pop rubbish.
                    http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk

http://www.fatcity.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X