Thread: It's Brit Bossa!

Default It's Brit Bossa!

Following some chat on here recently about British Bossa Nova, I thought I'd throw a little mix together - hope you enjoy!

Download the lot here

01 Annie Ross – Crickets Sing For Anamaria (Decca LP 1970)

Let's kick things off with a great version of the Marcos Valle classic...

02 Anna Dell – Somewhere In The Hills (Hollick & Taylor LP 1960s)

Organist Anna tackles a few bossas on this LP, but this is my favourite - one of the lesser heard Jobim songs. Private press LP from Birmingham.

03 Johnny Scott Quintet – Carnival (Columbia LP 1967)

Nice version of Bonfa's classic from flautist Scott who seemed to have a real affinity for bossa nova - he pops up as writer, arranger and player on lots of brit bossa stuff.

04 Blossom Dearie – Dindi (Fontana LP 1967)

With her Astrud Gilberto-like little girl's voice, Blossom is perfectly suited to the genre. The players are unnamed but it's got to be David Snell on harp I reckon

05 The Kinks – No Return (Pye LP 1967)

OK, bit of a wild card selection this one but bare with me. Heavy bossa influence and Ray Davies with his natural melancholia actually gets the genre's bitter/sweet tone spot on

06 Caterina Valente & Edmundo Ros – Canto De Ossanha (Phase 4 Stereo LP 1969)

One of the more authentic UK efforts, this is a great stab at the Baden Powell classic

07 Cy Grant featuring Bill le Sage – Brazilian Breezes (World Record Club LP 1964)

Cy has top billing, but all the best tracks don't actually feature him. This is a Bill le Sage original and he's joined on it by other UK bossa aficionados Shake Keane and Ray Swinfield on flute.

08 Jon Hendricks – Reza (Fontana LP 1970)

Epic version of the Edu Lobo classic, with a nice Ronnie Scott solo

09 David Snell – Bossa Bambino (Studio 2 Stereo LP 1966)

Cute little harp led bossa, with that man Johnny Scott popping up again

10 Roy Castle – The Gentle Rain (MFP LP)

I used to have the much nicer Columbia issue of this LP, but it's lost in the mists of time.
    Nice version of the Bonfa classic, featuring jazz heavyweights Gordon Beck and some nice flute work from Ray Swinfield (again)

11 James Clarke + Sounds – Spring Bossa (Fontana LP '68)

Clarke was another UK writer who really seemed to get the bossa feel. It's Johnny Scott and Shake Keane involved again.

12 Morgan James Duo – One Note Samba (Philips LP 1966)

This UK jazz vocal duo tackled a few bossas over their 3 LPs - their harmonies and solid jazz chops on double bass and guitar make this version stand out

13 Shake Keane – Bossa Negra (Pama LP 1970)

Lovely slinky bossa from Shake, I haven't heard his early 60s version of this so don't know how it compares. All the usual suspects involved like Johnny Scott.

14 Voices In Latin – Busy (Morgan LP 1968)

No Brit bossa mix is complete without the presence of Barbara Moore who had a real knack for the idiom - this is a nice uptempo thing written by her to finish off with
    Last edited by IAN; 07-12-2016 at 03:33 PM.

How excellent, thank you.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Downloading now - nice work Ian.

This looks right up my street! Nice to have confirmation Anna Dell was real as well - I have the LPs she did for Morgan/Gemini, and they included so little information I wondered if she was a pseudonym.

Excellent, will tuck in later, thanks Ian
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thames View Post
    This looks right up my street! Nice to have confirmation Anna Dell was real as well - I have the LPs she did for Morgan/Gemini, and they included so little information I wondered if she was a pseudonym.
    There's a little bit of a biog on the rear sleeve, I'll post it up tomorrow

Yay! Really looking forward to this.

a big caipirinha made with Roses lime cordial for Ian!
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Lovely chart - can't wait to get stuck in! This is a really beautiful embodiment of the vinyl-vulture spirit in full swing. Great work!

Looking forward to chilling back to this. Love the world record club cover appropriation too, nice work.

Great stuff - and somehow I don't own any of these records!

Mouth is watering with the prospect of listening to these!
    Thanks Ian - as Pencilface said this is what makes VG+ the great place it is!
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Loving this! I'm such a computer Luddite I'm always impressed when a chart includes scans AND download links. The Los Bandidos inspired image is the icing on the cake!
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

"05 The Kinks – No Return (Pye LP 1967)

OK, bit of a wild card selection this one but bare with me."

Ian, I'm 100% behind you with this but, given that I am behind you I think it unwise to follow your instruction. Eyebrows would be raised at the very least.

Stirling work, really excellent. Listen to this, watch one of those Avengers re-runs on freeview and I'm right back in my comfort zone.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Wow, this looks ace!!! Thanks Ian.
    ¡A tope con la vida!

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    a big caipirinha made with Roses lime cordial for Ian!

I'll raise a Tizer along with that....enjoying this right now, thanks a lot Ian, great work....CHEERS!....
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Wonderful - thanks for this !

I'm amazed by how many of these and others mentioned I own.
    "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Ya Ya View Post
    Wonderful - thanks for this !

I'm amazed by how many of these and others mentioned I own.
    This is the funny thing - I was listening to some of these tracks for just the first or second time, even though I'd had the records for ages. When you look at your collection through the lens of a different unfamiliar genre you suddenly make all these new discoveries

Here's the back of the Anna Dell sleeve Lord T, there's a little bit of biographical detail there. She started out in Ivy Benson's all-girl band (I heard a great radio doc on that recently). I love the reference to 'prestige venues' at places like Sutton Coldfield - I can almost taste the scampi in a basket.

The conga/bongo player Simon Morton played on the two Robin Jones LPs on Apollo, so she definitely had a band with a little bit of latin/jazz pedigree

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    "05 The Kinks – No Return (Pye LP 1967)

OK, bit of a wild card selection this one but bare with me."

Ian, I'm 100% behind you with this but, given that I am behind you I think it unwise to follow your instruction. Eyebrows would be raised at the very least.
    I'm always getting my 'bares' and 'bears' mixed up SK, it's led to a lot of misunderstandings in the past not to mention unnecessary legal action

Quote Originally Posted by IAN View Post
    Here's the back of the Anna Dell sleeve Lord T, there's a little bit of biographical detail there. She started out in Ivy Benson's all-girl band (I heard a great radio doc on that recently). I love the reference to 'prestige venues' at places like Sutton Coldfield - I can almost taste the scampi in a basket.

The conga/bongo player Simon Morton played on the two Robin Jones LPs on Apollo, so she definitely had a band with a little bit of latin/jazz pedigree
    Thanks for that - a few other talented jazz musos in there, Alan Downey played trumpet with pretty much everyone (including Maynard Ferguson), George Watts was with Stan Butcher and probably others, and Ken Ingarfield and Lionel Rubin were both with the Jerry Allen Trio. Ms Dell's Gemini LPs were both produced by Wilf Todd - Robin Jones played in his band, so there's probably some kind of link there somewhere!

I'd quite happily go to one of Anna's live gigs, wonder where she is now?

Thanks for that - a few other talented jazz musos in there, Alan Downey played trumpet with pretty much everyone (including Maynard Ferguson), George Watts was with Stan Butcher and probably others, and Ken Ingarfield and Lionel Rubin were both with the Jerry Allen Trio. Ms Dell's Gemini LPs were both produced by Wilf Todd - Robin Jones played in his band, so there's probably some kind of link there somewhere!

I like that Wilf Todd LP on Morgan, haven't played it for a while. Am I right in thinking there are wordless female vox on some of the tracks and if so, would they possibly be Anna Dell?

Anyway, as I said it's a nice LP.
    Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Me too. that´s a storming version of O Morro Nao Tem Vez.
    Thanks again, Ian - I played this a few times over Easter weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially as the only ones I know are Jon Hendricks and Barbara Moore. The Kinks track really works, I think, and Scott, Snell and Keane definitely add something new.

Also interesting that there don´t appear to be any Brazilian musicians involved at all - the immediate influences seem to be American jazz.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Really enjoying this, thanks Ian. Most of these are new to me, & lots to enjoy. The Shake Keane & Anna Dell stood out but all excellent stuff. Good call on the Kinks track too.

Thanks for listening and for all the feedback chaps

Quote Originally Posted by IAN View Post
    Thanks for listening and for all the feedback chaps
    Just finished listening to the selections this morning on the way in to work. It made up for you not participating in the 2014 swap

Loved the Kinks track - a pure Brit Bossa vibe there.

Also scoring heavily for me the Anna Dell and Voices in Latin tracks.

Top work.

Last edited by SirSlim; 15-04-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Been dipping in, on and off as the mood takes me. All good. No obvious standouts.

Great work.

Thanks.

IAN, great stuff, thanks for taking the time to build the chart. plenty unknown to me on it too.

much enjoyment to be had, particularly appropriate in this weather too.

as others have said, this sort of chat begets chart with deep knowledge is at the heart of what the vulture site and VG+ were/ are all about.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Love the world record club cover appropriation too, nice work.
    Thanks amidar, well spotted!

Just a quick one to say that even though I've not been around the site for far too long, I still managed to check this out and download it.
    the perfect tonic for a freezing London January.
    Most wonderful - and much appreciated.
    To infinity - and beyond!

Just a quick one to say that even though I've not been around the site for far too long, I still managed to check this out and download it.
    the perfect tonic for a freezing London January.
    Most wonderful - and much appreciated.
    To infinity - and beyond!