Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: June Finds 2015

Nothing wrong with that Jazz haul, I'm a fan of 'the remarkable Carmell Jones' album (his only solo album I think) so I'd have grabbed that Frankfurt LP myself. I pulled a few from the booty yesterday but mostly of the Woody Herman variety, will post up later.

Nah i was happy with the jazz haul and im sure ill keep a few bits for myself. Just wished there had been more folk as literally everthing was unplayed.

these are the pick of a whole stack of Reggae & Dub 7"s from the tip shop last week - 3 for a £1

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

Quote Originally Posted by nebkins View Post
    Nah i was happy with the jazz haul and im sure ill keep a few bits for myself. Just wished there had been more folk as literally everthing was unplayed.
    love that North Country Maid - damn tough to find and a pricey one - well done mate
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Wow that reggae looks clean. How many in total did you grab?

Quote Originally Posted by nebkins View Post
    Wow that reggae looks clean. How many in total did you grab?
    35 altogether, these are some of the others

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post

Killer piece!

Hi guys, lately I've been digging in and around Belgium but nothing notable however except this one that came as a gift from some of my mother's friends that were eventually going to throw it to the garbage:

Phoenix ep from 1969 released on the romanian label Electrecord. Here is one of my favourites from this ep:

Nevertheles I find the entire ep great.

... and this 5" from Dj Mitsu the Beats - Why Do You Say Goodbye | this was obviously not from the same stock!

A couple classic lps and random 7"s:

Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson: Midnight in America lp
    Donald Byrd feat. Blackbyrds: Cornbread, Earl and me OST LP
    Menique: Campesino / Tu partida 7"
    - Nice boogaloo on Cotique for 2 DKR / 0.25 Euro
    Siw Malmkwist: Du er selv din lykkes smed / O' Sheriff 7" - Pop
    Grethe Mogensen: Lille Sorte Sambo 7" h Shameful racist Danish children's record from the 1960s

Press repeat: Killer piece!

No tip shops around here

3 for a £1
    Have a care, man! You're breaking my heart.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Very low yield this weekend, partially due to being distracted by my son's graduation.
    Just a nice copy of the Lee & Nancy 2nd effort Did You Ever from the charity shop.

And some regret for leaving a random African 45. Been burnt by some random similar punts which turned out rubbish, but in hindsight I should have grabbed it for 50p.
    This was by Tindi Africa Band on a label based in Nairobi (forgot the name). No year either, nothing turns up on Google or Discogs which can be good or bad.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post

No tip shops around here
    I think these "shops" only exist in HG's parallel universe

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlim View Post
    I actually found a tip shop here. Twenty crates of rubbish, things charity shops can't even give away.
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    I should have grabbed it for 50p.
    50p! Okay it's not 3 for a pound but it's not going to reduce you to penury. For shame, Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlim View Post
    They do exist. I went to one in Exmouth a couple of years ago whilst visiting friends (who are avid charity shoppers/booters/tip shoppers - although not for vinyl - so I wasn't overreaching their hospitality). It did have a fair amount of vinyl too, although nothing approaching HG finds.

The friends have moved to Torquay now so no chance of another trip to the Exmouth tip shop

Trade with a friend in France:

Its becomming harder to find records in the town where i live, so when theres finaly some new stuff in the cahritys, i tend to grip whatever there is. Not sure if its a good strategy. But i can be asure, that if i leave it behind, it will be gone in a few hours, sometimes minuttes.
    The folloving pics are all from the same charity.

The louis Bonfa is kind of funky. I like it

Mi first Dewolfe and the Tamba4 is more jazzy than expected

The countyry one is only because it was a 3 for something deal. And i liked the cover.

Shel silverstein is funny

The next ones are from a music shop which closed down and had a 70% sale. These where the best i could find. The punk comp. is ok.

I would suggest that it is a good strategy. At least 3 solid tracks spring to mind from "Jacaranda". The Morricone and the Serge G must be worth a listen.

@Fnoev Nice finds!

That National Gallery LP is great and there's an ace fuzzy track on that Anna LP.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    @Fnoev Nice finds!

That National Gallery LP is great and there's an ace fuzzy track on that Anna LP.
    Yep, I'd be happy with those.

How's the Morricone? Not sure I've seen that one before
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Thumbs up

Wow...'Anna' from a charity shop, I'd be chuffed to bits with that alone!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    and the Serge G must be worth a listen.
    It is - a good OST - love the instrumental opener (and the vocal that follows):

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    @Fnoev Nice finds!

Agree on The National Gallery definite keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    50p! Okay it's not 3 for a pound but it's not going to reduce you to penury. For shame, Sir.
    It was still there, so I picked it up on the rebound.

Virtually nothing to be found about this on Google, discogs or elsewhere.
    Only clue is J Ombonyo Musiya which points to Josphat Ombonyo Musiya who was in Super Bunyore Band who were featured on a Nairobi Beat comp.
    Predictably, it's rather plain benga music or at least that's what it sounds to me. No crazy funk beats or anything like that.

If there's anyone with a special interest in this, I'd be happy to pass it along.

African singles featuring heavily in the june finds all these a gift from a friend who found them in a charity shop

They look rather interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    It was still there, so I picked it up on the rebound.

Virtually nothing to be found about this on Google, discogs or elsewhere.
    Only clue is J Ombonyo Musiya which points to Josphat Ombonyo Musiya who was in Super Bunyore Band who were featured on a Nairobi Beat comp.
    Predictably, it's rather plain benga music or at least that's what it sounds to me. No crazy funk beats or anything like that.

If there's anyone with a special interest in this, I'd be happy to pass it along.
    Worth 50p for the sleeve I think

Some carboot and charity finds:

[IMG][/IMG]

Errol Garner - Gemini From 1972 thought it might be Mr Garner in a hippy spiritual phase. Not listened yet but I expect its run of the mill. Edit: Had it on this morning and yep pretty standard plinky plonk jazz fare but elevated a bit Jimmy Smith's congas and the addition of Harpsichord on a couple of tracks. Highlight so far side 1 closer 'When a Gypsy Makes his Violin Cry' (great from around the 2 minute mark) and harpsichord version of 'Tea for Two' complete with funky percussion backing.

Woody Herman - Woody's Winners

Norman Grantz - Jam Session 04 Lots of good players on this. Shame about the cover but the vinyl is fine.

Woody Herman - The Swinging Herman Herd Live recording on Phillips of the big band.

Jethro Tull - A More an Ian Anderson solo project as I understand, never heard it and not been tempted to give it a spin yet. Edit: Well got around to giving this a listen and despite a seemingly clean vinyl being crackly as hell I don't think its half bad with some decent proggy tunes and interesting keyboards, samples and vocal fx. Always interesting to see what they make of albums like this over on the stuffy progarchives boards and as suspected its a thin line between love and hate with crys of 'boy band' and 'talentless electronic music' which kind of justifies my appreciation of it I think.

Bob Seger System - Mongrel I recently aquirred his 'Seven' album which I quite liked so was drawn to this.

Couple of VV 7 inchers 'Hanged Man by Bullet' and 'Theme from Power Game by Cyril Stapleton'

[IMG][/IMG]

Starbuck - Rock n Roll Rocket One of my finds of the year so far pure Yacht Rock with 70's keyboard lines aplenty and they even have a vibes/marimba player. Its catchy as hell and its music that puts a huge grin on my face. From a production point of view it sounds like they've had a blast putting it together, lots of studio trickery and attention to detail. A great record cant stop playing it and can be had for pennies I see.

Kenny Dorham - Trompeta Toccata Newish reissue of 1964 blue note bop session.

Buddy Rich - Richcraft See what they did there?

VA - Groovy Greats On a Tawaianese label that catered for british troops. Odd compilation featuring Aphrodite's Child alongside Dawn, Rare Earth and Andy Williams. Got it for free off the neighbour.

The Beatles - With the Beatles Excellent condition and only a quid. I'll tell anyone who comes around that its worth a thousand pounds and they will probably believe me.

Bootsy Collins - Ultrawave Bootsy Collins 1980 release.
    Last edited by amidar; 14-06-2015 at 02:22 PM.

these from a local business to me,they sell alsorts of stuff,very rarely come up with records,had to buy these for £8,havent picked them up yet,so kinda of a pre-find,gonna update with conditions,the macarthy lp,s will prob be on their way to my dad
    ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------